Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Too Human

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 19, 2008

In this action-RPG from Silicon Knights, players take on the role of the Norse god Baldur, whose protective feelings towards humanity and refusal to augment his body with cybernetics lead the other Aesir to label him "too human".

Too Human...or Too Broken?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's a little late to FINALLY be trying out Too Human, but I figure later is better than never.  While some may say that trading in Need For Speed Pro Street for some trade-in towards Too Human might be some part of me trading in a broken game for a broken game, I've gotta say this:  I enjoy Too Human.  Is the camera frustrating?  Fuck yeah.  Are my teammates on single player useless?  Fuck yeah.  Do the levels last WAAAAAAY too long?  FUCK YEAH!!!  My God, I'm five hours into the fucker and I'm only past the second area...which was about 3 of those 5 hours!!!  THAT'S A HUGE DUNGEON!!!

However, as a loot whore professional (I'm in full epics and legendaries already, and I feel like I haven't even found the tip of the iceberg yet), this game nurtures my loot whore needs that WoW or Warriors Orochi just doesn't fulfill.  I remember playing the demo and thinking "man, this game is gonna be so much fun, and hey, look at all this purple!!!".  Now, after my first session with the game, I feel like "man, my dood just fucked those goblins UP, and look at all this purple!!!".  There are a ton of things Too Human has going for it, while there are a ton of problems with it.

The biggest problem:  I don't give a shit about the story.  Let me skip the cutscenes sooner.  I'll just Wiki the damn story.  Whatever happened to "hey, this dood is bad, fuck some shit up and get loot"?  Yeah, the whole juxtaposition of Norse mythology to futuristic setting is cool...but seriously, I just don't give a damn.  I want to kill massive amounts of shit while playing collect-a-thon.  The combat is pretty fucking sweet and easy to get into, which I like.  However, there is a lot of depth in it if you are a veteran RPG player.  Too Human has more stats to push than you can shake a leaf at, so you can easily customize your character to being a very specific type of play style.  Still, the skill trees don't seem too...different.  Of course, I'm not going to be playing a tanking class or a healing class because I'm not playing online and have no need for that shit.  Who wants to honestly heal anyways?!  I'm a fucking Berserker!  I kill shit...and I kill it QUICK!!!

I haven't played with the ranged or balanced class yet, but I'll probably pick those up at a later time.  From what I'm to understand, there isn't much of a difference and it doesn't really matter.  Whatever.  I'm a melee DPS kind of dood (look at every RPG I've ever played...it's what I do, and I do it well...although Finlee has been tanking on WoW for the last month or so and I'm enjoying that thoroughly.

All in all, Too Human ain't too shabby.  It's still broken, but it doesn't suck for $25.  = D

In other gaming news related to moi, I've been spending a little more time in the world of Azeroth lately.  I got into a guild (something I've never really cared to do but realized I needed to in order to get more gear.  We ran 25 man Naxx the other night, and I realized just how SIMPLE the raids are now compared to pre-LK content.  It kind of makes me happy that you can clear two wings of Naxx in two hours...but at the same time, I remember how the original 40 man Naxx from classic WoW was still crippling at level 70 in BC!!!  I've also been working more on my Death Knight, and at level 68, I can say that the class is pretty damn fun to kill shit with.  There's a nice complexity to their attack rotations that keeps me interested more than when I rolled Arms or Fury on my warrior.

That is all.  Piece, fools!!!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's a little late to FINALLY be trying out Too Human, but I figure later is better than never.  While some may say that trading in Need For Speed Pro Street for some trade-in towards Too Human might be some part of me trading in a broken game for a broken game, I've gotta say this:  I enjoy Too Human.  Is the camera frustrating?  Fuck yeah.  Are my teammates on single player useless?  Fuck yeah.  Do the levels last WAAAAAAY too long?  FUCK YEAH!!!  My God, I'm five hours into the fucker and I'm only past the second area...which was about 3 of those 5 hours!!!  THAT'S A HUGE DUNGEON!!!

However, as a loot whore professional (I'm in full epics and legendaries already, and I feel like I haven't even found the tip of the iceberg yet), this game nurtures my loot whore needs that WoW or Warriors Orochi just doesn't fulfill.  I remember playing the demo and thinking "man, this game is gonna be so much fun, and hey, look at all this purple!!!".  Now, after my first session with the game, I feel like "man, my dood just fucked those goblins UP, and look at all this purple!!!".  There are a ton of things Too Human has going for it, while there are a ton of problems with it.

The biggest problem:  I don't give a shit about the story.  Let me skip the cutscenes sooner.  I'll just Wiki the damn story.  Whatever happened to "hey, this dood is bad, fuck some shit up and get loot"?  Yeah, the whole juxtaposition of Norse mythology to futuristic setting is cool...but seriously, I just don't give a damn.  I want to kill massive amounts of shit while playing collect-a-thon.  The combat is pretty fucking sweet and easy to get into, which I like.  However, there is a lot of depth in it if you are a veteran RPG player.  Too Human has more stats to push than you can shake a leaf at, so you can easily customize your character to being a very specific type of play style.  Still, the skill trees don't seem too...different.  Of course, I'm not going to be playing a tanking class or a healing class because I'm not playing online and have no need for that shit.  Who wants to honestly heal anyways?!  I'm a fucking Berserker!  I kill shit...and I kill it QUICK!!!

I haven't played with the ranged or balanced class yet, but I'll probably pick those up at a later time.  From what I'm to understand, there isn't much of a difference and it doesn't really matter.  Whatever.  I'm a melee DPS kind of dood (look at every RPG I've ever played...it's what I do, and I do it well...although Finlee has been tanking on WoW for the last month or so and I'm enjoying that thoroughly.

All in all, Too Human ain't too shabby.  It's still broken, but it doesn't suck for $25.  = D

In other gaming news related to moi, I've been spending a little more time in the world of Azeroth lately.  I got into a guild (something I've never really cared to do but realized I needed to in order to get more gear.  We ran 25 man Naxx the other night, and I realized just how SIMPLE the raids are now compared to pre-LK content.  It kind of makes me happy that you can clear two wings of Naxx in two hours...but at the same time, I remember how the original 40 man Naxx from classic WoW was still crippling at level 70 in BC!!!  I've also been working more on my Death Knight, and at level 68, I can say that the class is pretty damn fun to kill shit with.  There's a nice complexity to their attack rotations that keeps me interested more than when I rolled Arms or Fury on my warrior.

That is all.  Piece, fools!!!
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

$25. Good price, good blog.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

It's funny how a game that was supposed to suck now looks appealing at $25. I played the demo and thought it was okay once I got used to the controls.

bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By bertmasta

i can get this for 5 pound in a store near me, so i might finaly try it out, cant go wrong for that cheap

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By freezerr

I got Too Human for $24 bucks back in January (and I had a $20 gift card, so it was only $4 out of pocket), and I can highly recommend it for that price. If anyone is thinking about buying the game, Jakob's mini-review is spot-on and explains the game very well.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
    Claude said:
    "It's funny how a game that was supposed to suck now looks appealing at $25. I played the demo and thought it was okay once I got used to the controls."
    The game always looked like something I would enjoy, but for $60...there was a lot of other stuff I could enjoy at the time that was worth full price.  I really have to justify price in my head when I buy something.  There are few times that I've felt something was worth full price.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Jakob, this is seriously one of the funniest and informative user reviews (or blogs, whichever you prefer) I've read on Giant Bomb.  Great stuff!

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Wasn't into it at launch, won't pick it up now.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By teptom

I got it for free. It was a decent game. It killed some time while waiting for better games.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Xandurson

Too Human doesn't look good at all.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Quadrifoglio

I'm just not that interested in that game at all. Perhaps it's because I don't have a 360. :P

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By iamjohn

Too Human is a terrible game.

And I've loved every single minute of it.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You don't like the story?  They're battling to essentially restore their old home.  They live in a desolate cold environement and disguise their world with a hologram to be a paradise which was what it use to be.  They also have the gods making themselves less human and there's this thing about people wanting to make themselves almost into what their enemey is to become stronger.

I like the story a good amount.   Very well done.
    I bought it for $10.

You know, I could pick out the problems, but they're really not prevalent enough for me to pick on.  The only thing is the death sequence which I don't understand why I can't skip.  Other than that it seems like a nice short game with everything you want in a short action-rpg type game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By EVO

Poo Human.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@SmugDarkLoser said:
    " You don't like the story?  They're battling to essentially restore their old home.  They live in a desolate cold environement and disguise their world with a hologram to be a paradise which was what it use to be.  They also have the gods making themselves less human and there's this thing about people wanting to make themselves almost into what their enemey is to become stronger.I like the story a good amount.   Very well done.I bought it for $10. You know, I could pick out the problems, but they're really not prevalent enough for me to pick on.  The only thing is the death sequence which I don't understand why I can't skip.  Other than that it seems like a nice short game with everything you want in a short action-rpg type game. "
    In a vacuum (that is, when summarized), the story can seem really fresh and appealing, but it's just not told particularly well. Or interestingly.

I just picked this up myself, and I have a similar opinion to Jakob's. Game has some definite programming and design issues (see: Hod), but as a whole package Too Human is actually pretty fun. A must for loot whores.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

Too terrible of a game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.