Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Treyarch

Company »

Treyarch was founded in 1996, and was acquired by Activision in 2001. The company is best known for developing for both the Call of Duty and Spider-Man franchises.

Treyarch Are Kinda Underrated?

bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bunnyboiler

They've made some of the best Spider-Man games of all time, and the Call of Duty games they're developed have been pretty decent.

And unlike Infinity Ward, they've managed to remain professional.

Treyarch are underrated?
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say "underrated" but I would say they get more hate than they deserve.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By SteveVice

Yeah, I may be on the minority here but I actually prefer World at War multiplayer to both of the Modern Warfare games, nazi zombies!.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

IMO World At War had some good multiplayer, but everyone was all on the Modern Warfare bandwagon that it got so much bad press.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By crunchUK
    @xobballox said:
    " I wouldn't say "underrated" but I would say they get more hate than they deserve. "
    I would say this too. I mean call of duty 3/5 were not particularly original but they really weren't bad.
    Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Sambambo

Hell yes.

I love their games. Cod 3 was a brilliant game and W@W had the best SP cod experiance to date.

EDIT: I am not the most qualified to speak on the matter however as my only experiances of them (as far as I know) are from Cod

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1

they don't deserve the hate they get. I like how they develop their games. 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Skytylz

Sure, i liked the maps in WaW better than the maps in either mw.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Hamz

Definitely don't get the praise or credit they do deserve as far too many people have this undeserved infatuation with Infinity Ward that they can't view Treyarch without negativity.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DystopiaX
    @crunchUK: ehhh....3 was. 5 wasn't.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I think it's interesting that after Modern Warfare 2, people are starting to like Treyarch a bit more. 

Treyarch has never been bad developers.  They've merely been mediocre developers.  They get handed a project and are told "do it now".  They do it, and it rarely comes out as being just a huge piece of trash. 

With that said, I hope that Treyarch can one day at least get the opportunity to make their OWN fucking IP instead of being handed shit all the time, so they can actually show us what they are capable of.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

I don't play any CoD games, but if I had to pick, truthfully World at War is the one I'd go with.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Whisperkill

What about infinity ward isn't professional? 

The fact that they want their hard earned money? That they want creative freedom?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By dichemstys

Treyarch made some good Spider-Man games and Call of Duty 3 is my favorite in terms of campaign

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By apathylad

I enjoyed World at War, but the Spider-Man games have been hit or miss for me.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By ShaneDev

I don' think they bad developers and i think far too many people shit on them for no reason plus the have remained professional throughout the whole IW stuff,but i still think that COD 3 was terrible and the biggest waste of my money in the last few years.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Trilogy

They are great developers. They are just in a weird position sharing a title with the more popular infinity ward. I'm sure they aren't complaining with the way cod 5 sold.

reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By reign

Yo man, Treyarch made Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The multiplayer on WaW seemed  good, I didn't play it much, but the single player was kind of a letdown. 

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By bubahula
    @xobballox said:
    " I wouldn't say "underrated" but I would say they get more hate than they deserve. "
    agreed.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By natetodamax

It's weird that World At War had nearly identical multiplayer to MW1 and the game had 3 map packs, yet people still hate the company.

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InTheEnd
    It's been already said, but again, these guys get more flak than they deserve. Treyarch does what it does and sometimes it's not bad. There's no need to trash them so much. Personally, on the Call of Duty front, I kinda prefer them to Infinity Ward. I hate the bullshit Michael Bay-ish direction that Infinity Ward was taking with COD.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jimbo

The thing is, their games sell millions entirely off the back of the work that Infinity Ward has done - brand recognition sells their games and Infinity Ward are entirely responsible for that brand being what it is.  If they were out there doing their own thing, with their own franchise and without IW's work to follow, they would be nobody.  They don't deserve to be 'hated', but let's not start pretending they are in the same league as Infinity Ward are/were.  They are competent, but no more than that.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bionicicide

The only good thing they gave to gaming was Nazi Zombies.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
    " The thing is, their games sell millions entirely off the back of the work that Infinity Ward has done - brand recognition sells their games and Infinity Ward are entirely responsible for that brand being what it is.  If they were out there doing their own thing, with their own franchise and without IW's work to follow, they would be nobody.  They don't deserve to be 'hated', but let's not start pretending they are in the same league as Infinity Ward are/were.  They are competent, but no more than that. "
    Yeah, I agree fully.  Their other games they have developed aren't nearly as good as the Call of Duty they make.  They definitely don't deserve to be hated, but they are not an extremely skilled development studio.  They are very flexible though, they do whatever Activision tells them to do and usually competently.
    Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Blueman

They make good games, i think they're just unfortunate to be constantly compared to Infinity Ward. Not many developer's can match IW's track record.
    Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine
    @Jimbo said:
    "The thing is, their games sell millions entirely off the back of the work that Infinity Ward has done - brand recognition sells their games and Infinity Ward are entirely responsible for that brand being what it is.  If they were out there doing their own thing, with their own franchise and without IW's work to follow, they would be nobody.  They don't deserve to be 'hated', but let's not start pretending they are in the same league as Infinity Ward are/were.  They are competent, but no more than that. "

Exactly man.  IW made the engine, the perks, and established the gameplay.  Treyarch deserves as much credit for World at War as somebody who makes a really good mod for an already fantastic game.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By 234r2we232
    @natetodamax: If only I could see what I was doing in those dark maps, or have distinct enemy/friendly character designs, or if any of those bland weapons felt unique. I found WaW unplayable for those reasons.

I'm not going to question people enjoying WaW, but it wasn't really much more than a poor COD4 mod with gibs and a flame thrower.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Ace829

I was one of the few who didn't shit on Treyarch before COD4. They definitely deserve better. I think being away from Activision will do some good for them.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By natetodamax
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @natetodamax: If only I could see what I was doing in those dark maps, or have distinct enemy/friendly character designs, or if any of those bland weapons felt unique. I found WaW unplayable for those reasons.

I'm not going to question people enjoying WaW, but it wasn't really much more than a poor COD4 mod with gibs and a flame thrower. "
    Well I absolutely despise World At War. I just don't hate Treyarch as much as some people seem to.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crunchUK
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @crunchUK: ehhh....3 was. 5 wasn't. "
    Not really. Quite unlike modern warfare call of duty 3 had a certain modicum of balance

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.