Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UFC 2009 Undisputed

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 19, 2009

UFC 2009 Undisputed is a mixed martial arts fighting game developed by Yuke's Osaka, developers of the WWE SmackDown! games. It is the first UFC game to be released under the licensing agreement signed with THQ.

Defending the mount

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By poser

Any tips? At one point I was 16-7, but I've free falling for the last two days (did a patch come out???)  and now I'm 18-15! Most of the matches I've losing have been while defending the full mount. Often I can escape from the position but not without taking a ton of damage from 4 or 5 direct blows. 

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jnal

it depends man. I had a good record, but started to get dominated. you could try a submission or just try a major transition or left bumper and major transition. unfortunaly they can counter and I haven't been all to great against people who counter everything. I would like to say I'm good, but until I learn how to fight against counters I won't make it to far up the ladder.  

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Shocker

I usually lose because of the full mount. I don't know how to defend it and I just get knocked out right away. Kind of annoying.

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Merx

Defending against somebody who knows how to full mount, like myself, is damn hard. It can be lights out in under a minute to a guy with no ground game. Yet even I get caught out from time to time by full mount. Last night me and a guy spent 2 minutes on the floor, not a single punch was thrown, each of us doing maj trans after maj trans, rolling over and over like lovers in a field...

He knew I was trying to go to full mount, and I got it a few times but he instantly grabbed my head and pulled me down. (this is getting worryingly homo-erotic). Eventually, he got behind me, wrapped his arms and legs around me and pulled me to submission. Ahem.

What Im trying to say is, if you dont put the time in training mode, a guy with great ground game is gonna waste you. If you have great ground game like myself, in then becomes a lottery as to who gets full mount and rocks their opponent first. After that its game over.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lowbrow
    @poser:

Hey Poser, alright so, here's what you need.

First and foremost, The best way to defend against the full mount is to never allow your opponent to get there.

When on the ground with an offensive of defensive position, push back on the right stick. You'll notice your character will do a small animation whereby he will lock his legs around the other guy, and when the other dude tries for a transition, your man will block it. It works MOST of the time, I haven't been able to figure out at what point you opponent might be able to bypass the block, but  think it has something to do with your fighters offensive grappling skills, versus your opponents defensive grappling skills - it could also be bypassed with a fast jab to the head, or a knee, and a very quick rotation of the stick - Like I said havent been able to figure it out 100% yet.

Beyond that, there's something else, reversals. Holding back on the right stick is all well and good, but you and your opponent could be on the floor all damned day. So the flip side of simply blocking your opponent all day, comes in reversals. Reversals work the same way as transition blocking, except, you need to flick the right stick back at the right time when your opponent is going for a transition. I haven't been able to get it right myself, so going through practice mode might be a good idea till you get comfortable with the mechanics of the ground game.

Also, remember to BLOCK punches and knees all you can.

Most opponents will be totally stupid, and in their zealousness to beat your head in, they will gas themselves the fuck out, and at that point, try to catch their fist for a submission.

Hope this helps.

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Merx

What a frustrating morning Ive just had. I went from having 24-13 to 27-20. Lyoto Machida is getting particulary difficult to defend against. He has great body kicks and then on the ground will usually get me by submission. Ive actually worn off the rubber dotds on my analogue sticks over the past day.

Chuck Liddel is also pretty hard to face when somebody has solid ground blocking game. Trading punches with him is always gonna end in tears, yet getting him on the ground with a guy who knows your a full mount/submission player is equally as difficult.

Forest Griffin used to be a partiularly difficult player to face, although now I always thrash him first round. Get them in a half clinch and just uppercut him to the head, eventually get him on full mount and its lights out.

This game is frustrating because you know that when you lose, youve just been outclassed. But when you win, equally its excellent.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By poser
    Merx said:
    What a frustrating morning Ive just had. I went from having 24-13 to 27-20. Lyoto Machida is getting particulary difficult ... [more]
    I agree, and that's why the game is so compelling for me... because it is skill based. One of the biggest things the industry seems to be lacking in recent years are competitive skill based games. Devs seem to be focusing more and more on accessibility rather than longevity.

But I don't mean to derail my own topic so....

How about the Muay Thai clinch? This one is easier to aviod than the mount but is just as hard to get out of... at least for me.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jnal

Muay Thai clinches are harder for me to get out of then the full mount for some reason. very annoying when you can only watch in horror after you've taken about 10 knees to the face and still can't break it.

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Merx

lol yup. Just sitting there going "ARRRRGGGHHH!!"

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Computerplayer1

Full mount in this game is way too easy to achieve. Even when you're really good at the floor game, getting out of it in one piece is almost impossible. This game is good, but there seems to be a few balancing issues.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Karmum
    poser said:
    Any tips? At one point I was 16-7, but I've free falling for the last two days (did a patch ... [more]
    No patch that I know of, and I don't know how I'm not losing more than I am. 20-3 in career mode, the only thing I did was just waste time going from clinching on the ground to nabbing a few punches in while the time expired. Trying to get out of that position while on the ground is extremely difficult. I rarely get out of them.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PercyChuggs

I got so sick of the game, and the seemingly arbitrary online submissions, I sold it today. And I was virtually driving the UFC 2009 bandwagon in the last month. Hopefully for the next game, they can balance out the incredibly overpowered ground game, where putting a submission on a guy is as easy as clicking in the stick.

As far as defending the mount, when you get taken down, just hold the R stick back to block any transitions your opponent tries. Once he tries one or two, right after the second one, try to major transition out of it.

rpommier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By rpommier
    @Merx:

That is so true!  Did you see UFC 98?  I think the third fight of the night, one guy was named 'Miller', I believe.  Anyway the whole match, all 3 rounds, were spent on the ground.  Miller got pounded all night long!  Situations like you experienced in the game seem to be very realistic.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flushes

A great way to easily prevent the mount is play a solid BJJ fighter and immediately rubber guard > sweep them when they take you down; if you're confident in your own ground game, get underhooks and pull them into your guard and try the same thing. People either tend to flail in an attempt to get out of your rubber guard and can become easy submission targets if you can't sweep them into mount.

circaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By circaender

Clinch Defense -  The best thing to do in this situation is to hold the block button.. the knees to the head are the ones that really hurt... let them wear them selves down. When they are clinching you, their energy goes down fast. While this is a good defense.. you will need to get good at timing their body knees and head punches. Press up or down on the right stick to take them down  or reverse the clinch....  

if you block a few knees to the head they will go for the body or punches to the head.. thats your chance to counter.. this is the best defense.  

im not an expert but im 46-19 and level 37

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.