Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

A standalone update to Marvel vs Capcom 3 featuring new modes, characters, stages, an enhanced online experience, and large-scale rebalancing of core systems and the existing roster.

Phoenix Wright UMvC3 reveal in ~2 hours

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

UPDATE: 10/13/11 - 0630 Hours - Wes Phillips

"Only a couple of hours until we enter in new evidence.UMVC3"

~~~~~

10/12/11 - 0700 Hours - Wes Phillips, Capcom PR manager

"You will not object to our new Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 videos tomorrow."

10/12/11 - 1200 Hours - Seth Killian, Capcom Community Manager and Special Advisor

"My advice to everyone waiting for new announcements: 'Hold it!'"

10/12/11 - 2300 Hours - Ryota Niitsuma, Capcom Developer and UMvC3 Producer

"Check out infos in the morning for the fans in the US, afternoon in the EU, midnight in Japan!"

10/12/11 - Various - A new advertisement for UMvC3 pops up on various websites with a conspicuous file name.

No Caption Provided

It seems the logical to conclude that in just over 2 hours, when the clock strikes midnight in Japan, we'll finally get to see how everyone's favorite Ace Attorney holds his own against monsters, mutants, and megalomaniacs. All I can say is GO GET HYPE. I'd suggest listening to this on loop as we enter the home stretch. Nick, we made it!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Gotcha, Capcom.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Kind of depressing that, what would otherwise be a weirdly totally awesome inclusion in a fighting game still just comes off as a sad cash grab because, you know, Capcom.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Marokai: You people just keep crawling out of the woodwork but you can't derail this hype train with your entitlement fueled negativity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer said:

@Marokai: You people just keep crawling out of the woodwork but you can't derail this hype train with your entitlement fueled negativity.

I have never played an MVC game in my life, I just think it's hard to deny Capcom's been on a particularly lazy/greedy streak lately.

The sad thing, I guess, is that I actually bought one of those Resident Evil re-releases. So I guess I'm part of the problem and can't criticize.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Marokai Yeah cash grab, sure. 40 dollars for 12 new characters. Whatever, man.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Marokai: You know, I'm not condoning what Capcom is doing here (because I think putting out a new version of a game less than a year after the original came out is CRAZY), but if they really just wanted money, then wouldn't they be charging $5 per character like they did with Jill and the Marvel squid guy?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Marokai said:

I have never played an MVC game in my life

Yep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Marokai: You know, I'm not condoning what Capcom is doing here (because I think putting out a new version of a game less than a year after the original came out is CRAZY), but if they really just wanted money, then wouldn't they be charging $5 per character like they did with Jill and the Marvel squid guy?

That's a fair point, I just think it's silly to deny Capcom's weird streak lately. It's possible that I just don't "get" fighting games, because I've never been a particularly big fan of the genre or anything, so maybe it's a little unfair to say in this specific case, but their trend of taking a game, keeping about 80-90% of it the same, and rereleasing is pretty hard to miss in the last few years. They milked Street Fighter 4 for about as far as they could possibly go, the re-releases of Resident Evil games, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, and probably a half dozen other examples that elude me; I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to say that this could've totally been DLC for the original game if they wanted it to be. Releasing a whole new disc version alone is baffling.

Edit; Also I now realize I've made a horrible mistake entering into a fighting game thread. Jesus. No wonder I never got into this genre much.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Vexxan

Never cared much for MvC but man will this be cool. 

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DarkShaper

@StarvingGamer said:

I don't know what this says about me as a person but "hype train" gives me the mental image of a train conducted by frank west going full speed down a mountain while in the distance you can hear Jeff yelling GIGATONS!!!!!

Also i'm totally picking this up since my 360 died and I needed an excuse to get a PS3 version. New guys just sweeten the deal.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@Marokai said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

That's a fair point, I just think it's silly to deny Capcom's weird streak lately. It's possible that I just don't "get" fighting games, because I've never been a particularly big fan of the genre or anything, so maybe it's a little unfair to say in this specific case, but their trend of taking a game, keeping about 80-90% of it the same, and rereleasing is pretty hard to miss in the last few years. They milked Street Fighter 4 for about as far as they could possibly go, the re-releases of Resident Evil games, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, and probably a half dozen other examples that elude me; I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to say that this could've totally been DLC for the original game if they wanted it to be. Releasing a whole new disc version alone is baffling. Edit; Also I now realize I've made a horrible mistake entering into a fighting game thread. Jesus. No wonder I never got into this genre much.

The rerelease of old games like Resident Evil 4 is hardly a new concept, nor is it specific to Capcom. Off the Record isn't really capable of being DLC without it being an obnoxiously huge download, and so it pretty much had to be its own thing. And it's not like Capcom is just throwing new characters in and calling it a day. Each new edition of their fighting games has contained gameplay balance tweaks and mode adjustments. UMVC3 is supposed to also have an improved online structure in addition to all of the new characters.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Marokai said:

It's possible that I just don't "get" fighting games, because I've never been a particularly big fan of the genre or anything, so maybe it's a little unfair to say in this specific case. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to say that this could've totally been DLC for the original game if they wanted it to be. Releasing a whole new disc version alone is baffling.

Edit; Also I now realize I've made a horrible mistake entering into a fighting game thread. Jesus. No wonder I never got into this genre much.

You yourself admit to never playing MvC and not being a big fan of the genre. If you were you would probably know that by fighting game DLC standards, paying $40 for all the new content in UMvC3 is actually a great deal. You would also know that the numerous core system changes being made are so extensive that any "DLC" version would entail downloading the entire (10GB?) game again from scratch.

And the hostility has nothing to do with this thread being about a fighting game and everything to do with someone that clearly has no relevant knowledge or perspective coming and and making bold declarative criticisms. I don't drink alcohol and don't see the appeal, but I'm not enough of an asshole to walk into a bar and declare that everyone there is being ripped off.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer

@DarkShaper said:

I don't know what this says about me as a person but "hype train" gives me the mental image of a train conducted by frank west going full speed down a mountain while in the distance you can hear Jeff yelling GIGATONS!!!!!

Also i'm totally picking this up since my 360 died and I needed an excuse to get a PS3 version. New guys just sweeten the deal.

Lol that's a terrific mental image. Add catbond on PSN and we'll get some games in when it drops :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer: I didn't come in here and make "bold declarative criticisms" of fighting games. I wasn't even taking issue with anything about fighting games. I came in here and made a one-liner about Capcom's rerelease fever being particularly egregious lately, mostly because I was thinking of this same topic earlier when watching the Off The Record QL, in particular on an ultimate edition of a game that hasn't even been out for a full year yet. I don't know much about fighting games; I also didn't pretend to. I was talking about Capcom, nothing else. Hell, I just spent about 25 minutes watching MVC3 videos because it seemed cool, I didn't come in here to piss on anyone's parade, dude. Chill.
    Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

Is it wrong that I'm more excited to see what music they use to reveal him rather than actually seeing his fighting moves? God, it has to be some sort of Cornered Remix doesn't it!? 

Can't wait for this. Phoenix's inclusion was what turned me around on UMvC3 being 'ehh, that's kinda disappointing' to 'DAY ONE!'.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Marokai said:

@StarvingGamer: I didn't come in here and make "bold declarative criticisms" of fighting games. I wasn't even taking issue with anything about fighting games.

@Marokai said:

Kind of depressing that, what would otherwise be a weirdly totally awesome inclusion in a fighting game still just comes off as a sad cash grab because, you know, Capcom.

So suggesting that Capcom's inclusion of PW in UMvC3, a fighting game, is a "sad cash grab" is... not about fighting games and not a criticism?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer said:

@Marokai said:

@StarvingGamer: I didn't come in here and make "bold declarative criticisms" of fighting games. I wasn't even taking issue with anything about fighting games.

@Marokai said:

So suggesting that Capcom's inclusion of PW in UMvC3, a fighting game, is a "sad cash grab" is... not about fighting games and not a criticism?

Talking about the business move has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the game or the product. I'm sure the game is awesome. I'm sure all fighting games are awesome. I'm not here to take it away from you. Nor did I talk shit about the game, or the genre, or pretend to have any intimate knowledge of the game whatsoever. The idea that I came in here to talk shit about fighting games is ridiculous. I had no intention of doing that. (I also, love Phoenix Wright. I certainly have nothing against him either.)
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By VicRattlehead

HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mesoian

So...what, Exactly 30 days until release? I think it's okay now. We can all stop being upset. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, get fucking hype.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VicRattlehead

man that music when he goes into evidence mode, that level 3 and that level 1 with the judge...phoenix wright looks fun lol

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By SMTDante89

Can't wait to play as them, but the background for one of the stages is a bit sad seeing some of the older characters that likely won't be back in any way, shape or form. 

No Caption Provided
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mesoian

Well, megaman and CapCom are still on the table it seems. 

It's cool though, honestly, I'd rather have new characters for future DLC. 

Interestingly enough, this means the last reveal, the anchor announcement for this game....will be Frank West and Rocket Racoon. Not really ending on a strong point...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That level 3 hyper for Phoenix is maybe the greatest thing ever. At least in that game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Mesoian: I dunno, there seems to be a whole lot of ironic hype for RR and if the rumors that he's being voiced by David Hayter are true then HYPE EXPLOSION.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Jeffsekai

HAHAHAAHAHAAH, sold on UMvC3

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@StarvingGamer: Wait, WHAT?! SNAKE?!

Man, I might have to break my Capcom boycott to buy this game is Rocket Raccoon sounds like Snake. He probably won't go for the full on Snake though.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VicRattlehead

lol missile the dog is one of his assists, and his damage seems insane when in objection mode

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StarvingGamer

@MooseyMcMan: Total unfounded rumor that I heard from a guy somewhere whose cousin once was a roommate of a kid that was a student at the same school that Seth Killian used to teach at.

Still, it would be fucking rad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hype, get it,

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By lord_canti

i like how his attacks are disjointed combos of the spites from the game e.g. slapping paper ,sneezing

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@StarvingGamer said:

@MooseyMcMan: Total unfounded rumor that I heard from a guy somewhere whose cousin once was a roommate of a kid that was a student at the same school that Seth Killian used to teach at.

Still, it would be fucking rad.

But those are the best rumors. I should start one about how you need to get three toasties in a match and then beat Reptile without blocking to unlock Hayter's voice.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By damswedon

Somehow I hate Phoenix Wright now. I'm never going to get that terrible voice out of my head.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Azteck

I still think it was a low blow from Capcom when they explicitly said that they would not do this. Not putting down cash on it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Ghostiet
    @damswedon said:

Somehow I hate Phoenix Wright now. I'm never going to get that terrible voice out of my head.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Still, the way he plays looks fucking awesome.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SlightConfuse

Dark Phoniex rising

glad they were able to get a system for phoenix,

Looks like you can only do wrights level 3 if you have all of the evidence, it darins after he uses it

nova looks awesome for opening people up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Furio Tigre color set, I hope.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BoG

Dude, Phoenix looks so awesome. I want this game just to fight as him. His TAKE THAT! Special is a classic.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40  Edited By drac96

I have waited so long to see this gameplay, and it was well worth it. The fact that he doesn't directly attack is awesome.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By benpack

NO ALIBI NO JUSTICE NO DREAM NO HOPE

TAKE THIS

Game of the Forever.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

@GlenTennis: Will you be there for TnT? Make them talk about Phoenix during TnT!

o_O

I AM SO FUCKING HYPE RIGHT NOW

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By benpack

@StarvingGamer said:

@GlenTennis: Will you be there for TnT? Make them talk about Phoenix during TnT!

o_O

Unfortunately no.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @StarvingGamer said:

Will you be there for TnT? Make them talk about Phoenix during TnT!

o_O

I don't think any of the Giant Bomb staff are Phoenix Wright fans. I think the only one who's actually played one of the games to completion is Vinny.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bestostero

Rebecca Chang > Phoenix Wright

I'm still not happy there wasn't any new females added.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JJOR64

@xhavoc86 said:

Capcom is sexist.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bestostero

@JJOR64 said:

@xhavoc86 said:

Capcom is sexist.

Clearly...how could they pass this up!?

No Caption Provided

I'm sure fan reaction from Dead Rising 2 spurred the change in Dead Rising 2 Off the Record...just saying.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Marokai said:
    @StarvingGamer said:

I have never played an MVC game in my life, I just think it's hard to deny Capcom's been on a particularly lazy/greedy streak lately.  The sad thing, I guess, is that I actually bought one of those Resident Evil re-releases. So I guess I'm part of the problem and can't criticize.
    Did you hear how they more or less blamed the disaster in Japan on not making DLC for the first game? 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @Marokai said:
    @StarvingGamer said:

I have never played an MVC game in my life, I just think it's hard to deny Capcom's been on a particularly lazy/greedy streak lately.  The sad thing, I guess, is that I actually bought one of those Resident Evil re-releases. So I guess I'm part of the problem and can't criticize.
    Did you hear how they more or less blamed the disaster in Japan on not making DLC for the first game? 
    You mean all the interviews that Seth Killian did where he said that luckily Capcom wasn't significantly impacted by the tsunami and the choice to not do DLC was due to a combination of the scope and scale of new content in UMvC3 and the lack of enthusiasm for the DLC model in Capcom Japan?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.