Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted 2 40K Penalty Issue

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By X19

Hi guys I'm just wondering who else has lost 40K due to unvoluntarily leaving a match. Naughty Dog's current update has included a 40k penalty and a rank reduction system to stop people from leaving matches. The problem being this includes players who unvoluntarily quit through the likes of a connection error, game freezing and a whole host of other ways that kick them from the match. 

This really annoys me because it  has happened a few times now and its got to the point where I don't want to play the multiplayer anymore. Why would you want to spend time collecting money and leveling up only for it to be taken away from you because of a connection error.  

What adds to my frustration is that no one at Naughty Dog has answered any of the complaints which take up alot of space on the PSN Blog and ND's own Blog. 

Don't get me wrong I love the game the single player was incredible and the multiplayer before the update was fun and addictive but ND needs to know they are sabotaging this experience.

So the point of this Blog is for you Giantbombers to leave a message if this 40K penalty has happened, how it happened and what you would change to rectify this issue. Hopefully someone at Naughty Dog will see this blog and change the 40K penalty system to a better alternative, that doesn't punish innocent players who unvoluntarily quit.

Thanks 

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Thank fuck, I thought I was the only one. It happened to me when I turned my PS3 off right after a game (the game was still on the scoreboard) and the next morning, I got the message saying I lost $40,000. It's an ok idea, but in cases of power outages and such, it's a pain in the ass I would imagine.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny: Thank Fuck?
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @TwoOneFive: I swear for no apparent reasons sometimes. lol.
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Ujio

I haven't experienced this issue yet and I've had several connection errors in the middle of a match much to my consternation. But I've never received a message after booting up again saying I lost $40k.

billR2D2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By billR2D2

i lost 40 k twice 
    1. because i quit a match because the enemy team were lag switching.
    2.My in game xmb froze so i had to restart my ps3 and what do i get. A message saying that i didn't finish the match and for that i lose a level and lose another 40 k.  I was lvl 30 and the quit penalty drop my level to 29.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By azteris

You have to punish people who disconnect, no matter how much that sucks for people who legitimately disconnect. Otherwise, you just have people pulling their Ethernet cable instead of quitting. It's not like this is the first game for this to happen, so I'm not sure I understand the outrage.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Reuben
    @Azteris said:
    " You have to punish people who disconnect, no matter how much that sucks for people who legitimately disconnect. Otherwise, you just have people pulling their Ethernet cable instead of quitting. It's not like this is the first game for this to happen, so I'm not sure I understand the outrage. "
    This is what I was about to post. Well said.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Azteris said:

" You have to punish people who disconnect, no matter how much that sucks for people who legitimately disconnect. Otherwise, you just have people pulling their Ethernet cable instead of quitting. It's not like this is the first game for this to happen, so I'm not sure I understand the outrage. "

What if the power goes out while playing? What if your internet screws up?  
    That's why this is not the best idea.
    billR2D2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By billR2D2
    Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arjuna

This is great!  If you quit games prematurely, or don't have the connection to support internet gaming then just don't even try.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

They said that you should not get penalized if you get kicked for some reason or another because they have ways of distinguishing when it happens, which is why it is weird....

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By X19
    @Azteris said:

The game can't distinquish between someone quiting and someone loosing connection. I went back to uncharted 2 last night played for an hour and on the 4th game there was a connection error and I lost all the progress I had made. Saying to yourself well at least the people who quit get this penalty to doesant seem to justify it. Instead I just thought whats the point in playing this game I might as well sell it. The reason for the outrage is because the game is so good, you can see how much effort has gone in to making it and putting this penalty in takes away from that. Its not people disconnecting which should be ND primary concern its people not playing the multiplayer altogether because of a flawed development decision.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " Thanks fuck, I thought I was the only one. It happened to me when I turned my PS3 off right after a game (the game was still on the scoreboard) and the next morning, I got the message saying I lost $40,000. It's an ok idea, but in cases of power outages and such, it's a pain in the ass I would imagine. "
    That's what I thought you said, it totally changes the sentence.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By X19

Anyone who has lost 40k and is annoyed about it follow this link 

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/hair_of_the_dog_week_of_nov_15_2009/#comments

and reply to Arne.

Naughty Dog has no intention of changing the 40k penalty at this time. The only way anything changes is if alot of people stand behind it. Check out the ND Blog and leave a comment. 

Thanks

thecooktom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thecooktom

it happened to me 3 times in one day. 3 levels down. I am so pissed. First the game froze. When i booted up i got the message. And then 2 connection errors caused 2 more level downs... Sucks big time as i really love the game. T
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daryl

Seems a bit stupid. We can't expect to be glued to the console if some other shit comes up irl.

dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dyslekt
    @Daryl said:
    " Seems a bit stupid. We can't expect to be glued to the console if some other shit comes up irl. "
    This. 
    Better to quit out then standing idle and give the other team free kills if something comes up.  
    But it has prevented a couple rage quits.  
    40 000 is way to much! 4000 would be better.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Alexander

Host migration - wave of the future.  

Until something like that is implemented as a standard in multiplayer games I'm all for giving players dropping a hard kick in the XP nuts, people bailing when they're losing is one of my pet peeves, I'd trade a few losses due to connection error for that.

thecooktom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thecooktom

I just played again.. had a load of connection errors and went down four god dam levels. 160000 deduction .....aaarrrhhh ... this is to much.... They have to change the penalty or make sure they can detect if you didn´t do it on purpose.  Again i don´t have the same problem with mw2 or any other multiplayer game. sucks
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By gosukiller
    @dyslekt: If you have ever played a game like Street Fighter 4 online or something you will know why disconnecters should be punished severly, it just ruins the game for the opponent so much. 

Yes, if you disconnect unwillingly it will suck, so I can imagine they could think up an algoritm that seperates cable pullers from connection losers (or jackasses from OHMYGODMYKITCHENISONFIRE!!!!) . That being said, if something IRL comes up I usually dont care about points or such 40k is much, but it's not the end of my world and I respect the goals Naughty Dog has.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Whisperkill

That is really fucked up. I would stop playing after a while.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Crono

It is a hard balancing act for online games to balance.  Punishing abusers without affecting the legit too severely... I mean, really, this is for YOU the legit player.  The system isn't fool-proof, but for the most part it is there to make a better experience and gaming environment for all the legit players.  Sometimes the system will backfire, but I think that is a reasonable price to pay for a better experience.  I mean, how often does your net go down or your power go out anyway?  Very seldom I would hope.

thecooktom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thecooktom
    @Crono:
    i´ve lost 480000$ and 12 levels since christmas because of connection error!!
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Hamz

It's a harsh penalty if you legitimately have a connection error or some form of power outage. And that sucks and does seem harsh. But for those prats that actually leave a match on purpose then the penalty is severe enough to hopefully dissuade them from continuing down that path of moronic behaviour and ruining online for people. 

I'm not sure how many games follow something like this with their online but I'd say more need too. Taking a harsher stance toward this stuff might be a nice way of bringing about a more positive aspect of online play for most people. A lot of topics on video game message boards revolve around the negative experiences with online play, specifically negative experience with glitchers or whatever you call people who quit to avoid losing or such like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.