Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Out of Nowhere, Valkyria Chronicles Is Coming to PC

• 174 results
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@elwoodan said:

Excited to give this a second shot, I dunno if I missed something the first time but I found it insanely difficult and barely played a few missions. That always bugged me.

I don't remember it being insanely difficult. I was getting terrible mission ratings for the first half of the game and getting lots of characters killed but I was scraping through and didn't need to replay many missions. Maybe you actually are missing something, like leveling up the classes or upgrading your equipment? Or maybe you've just made poor decisions like leveling up snipers and engineers instead of troopers and scouts? I never used Orders but people generally consider them to be OP.

Lol, I didn't figure out the order system until I replayed it. I never even knew where to get them.

But no, it isn't that difficult. But then I struggled on different maps than people tend to complain about. The first time I played the desert map with the fog it completely puzzled me how to properly advance my units in the number of moves allotted. (The answer has been mentioned in this thread a few times, scouts).

And no, engineers are not such a bad investment.

Also, Rosie!

p.s. I endorse the VC anime on Crackle. It actually tells the story of the first game true to source and quite watchable.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!

asantosbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@igniz12 said:

@ripelivejam said:

@igniz12: well i suggest you pm or @patrickklepek in that case if you feel he should update his story.

lol

Um, that's actually the right course of action.

Even tweet to @patrickklepek on twitter if you prefer and let him know that there was a concerted effort from many fans. I saw it myself, and it's worth mentioning. This is in part thanks to all that showing there is an interest for it.

The news itself was amazing.

But the wording on @patrickklepek coverage left to be desired. I cringed when I read that first sentence.

He should indeed make an update saying that "After some better research, I noticed that indeed there were some people asking for it". But with that he would acknowledge that he made a mistake in the first place, so I doubt he will do it.

Anyway it doesn't matter, what is important is that it is great news.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I think Ryan Davis liked this game. I know i did. Regretted trading it.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#156  Edited By Wraithtek

Regarding the "Scout Rush" tactic...

I never really abused Scouts that much in my original playthrough, and it sounds like I had a better experience for it. Sure, I didn't get an A rank in most missions, didn't earn max xp. But I enjoyed playing those levels, clearing out the enemies in my path instead of buffing a Scout and bee-lining towards the finish. And I picked up a few weapons from named enemies killed.

In general, Valkyria Chronicles isn't a terribly hard game. So playing with an evenly-leveled squad, utilizing all 5 classes, and having a bit less to spend on leveling and upgrades isn't necessarily a bad thing, if it makes the game more fun, more challenging. (And I'm not someone who opts to play on the hardest difficulty in games. I'd just rather not have a cakewalk.)

One of the great things about VC is that each member of your squad is unique, even if he or she isn't part of the storyline. They all have voice acting, all have different traits and favorite fellow squadmembers. When one of my favorite squad members is downed, it actually matters. How would you get to know Marina or Vyse or Aika in this game if you never use them?

Sure, doing a Scout rush for most levels is a valid way to play. But I wouldn't recommend it for anyone's first playthrough.

If difficulty is a problem in certain missions, remember: this game does have in-mission saves. You don't have to use them, but they're there if want 'em.

I definitely used them to go back and save Vyse when I failed to rescue him in time, instead of starting the whole mission over.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#157  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Awesome!

Can't wait to read people complaining about the specs.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

I never did finish this game on the original PS3. I think I might pick it up when it drops.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By senrat

@noizy: Xcom if you want a great strategy game and tales of vesperia if you want an anime rpg that wont make you wince everytime somebody speaks. I could not finish the game because the gameplay was not worth suffering through the story. Is my opinion more valid now?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

One of my biggest shameful regrets is not finishing that game. This is great news!

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Nefarious_Al

Love this game I'll be down to play it again on PC. Now please make a new version on PS4.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

With the game coming to PC, I wonder if there's any chance it could ever come to the new consoles? I've always wanted a trophy patch for the PS3, so a PS4 version would be even better!

CrippWox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will get this and probably finish it on PC while i didn't do that on PS3.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

*ANIME STARTLED NOISE*

HerrHeimlich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By HerrHeimlich

Perhaps one day... Skies of Arcadia will be ported though probably only to get canned again....

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By bargainben

Im curious what the impetus is for all of these PC ports of Japanese console games all of a sudden.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Hey if you haven't heard yet, the game is out November 11, 2014, for $20 USD, includes all the DLC. Is up for preorder at digital outlets. Has Japanese audio option (as the PS3 version did). Does have Steam achievements, if that's something that matters to you.

Steam has it for $17.99. GMG has it for $14.40 with code SPOOKY-TREATS-GMG20X.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

$20 for the game and all the DLC makes sense and it even has achievements this time. Hopefully the resolution and controller support is good.

Valkyria Chronicles is high up on my pile of shame for games I never finished so this is a great impetus for me to try and finish it.

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@wraithtek: You can use the code SLICKD-EALS22-OFFGMG for 22% off.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's already up in the Store!! 17 dollars or so (I say that based on how much it is in my local currency)

comes out on the 11th, already bought it, usually I'm not one to pre purchase anything but this one I just had to...

SweetIvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By SweetIvy

My Ps3 YLOD before I could finish this.

I'm so excited!!

I hope this will spur more of their titles to follow suit *COUGH-cough*Yakuza*COUGH-cough*

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Tomorrow!!!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By onarum

@demonbear said:

Tomorrow!!!

EFF YEAH!! have it preloaded already, pretty hefty size too, almost 17GB.

I'm also very surprised on how it's #1 top seller on GMG and #9 on steam itself with pretty much 0 effort with marketing on sega's part (as far as I can tell anyway)

I hope it sells really well.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#175  Edited By demonbear

Yeah its pretty impressive since all of this is because of word to mouth and one single sega tweet...

I'm happy though because a lot of people missed on this fantastic game the first time around. It released in 2008 in the early ps3 years, before trophies, and back then, most people played on 360. Now, no excuses and the price asked is a solid value. Anyone who ever even remotely liked a turn based tactics game should play this. I'll do my part and review it on steam as well once I finish it on pc. Hopefully, this sells well and gets the ball going over at Sega for a VC on new consoles.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Tomorrow!!!

Yeah ... geeze, that came out of nowhere. Looking forward to it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#177  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@demonbear said:

Yeah its pretty impressive since all of this is because of word to mouth and one single sega tweet...

Especially impressive considering that it's able to get so much heat at the busiest time of the year for new game releases. Early indications are that this is a pretty solid port as well - controller support, graphics options, achievements (never even had PSN trophies), etc. Fingers crossed that this does well enough for Sega to consider doing more PC ports (Yakuza!) and increasing their support of the VC franchise.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demonbear said:

Especially impressive considering that it's able to get so much heat at the busiest time of the year for new game releases. Early indications are that this is a pretty solid port as well - controller support, graphics options, achievements (never even had PSN trophies), etc. Fingers crossed that this does well enough for Sega to consider doing more PC ports (Yakuza!) and increasing their support of the VC franchise.

Is there any word on if they did any work to the graphics?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#179  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@2headedninja: I don't know that they've done all that much work, but the art style should help it hold up well just being scaled up and there's certainly more in the way of graphics options than other recent surprise PC ports (I'm looking your way Final Fantasy XIII).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@chaser324: From what I remember Sega has done a pretty good job with their ports on the pc recently. I remember Virtual Tennis 4 and Sonic Transformed Racing running exceptionally well.

Speaking for Valkyria Chronicles I think the people who own this game on ps3 won't find anything new for them with this port. The game was never about graphics and relied heavily on it's gameplay and cel shaded artstyle. I think this is more for those people who hadn't played the first one and are giving them a chance to now. It's actually quite surprising that Sega is actually re-evaluating this series and giving it a port considering they never brought valkyria chronicles III overseas and Sega has been terrible lately at bringing some of their games less performing sequels a chance over here.

Avatar image for cunnninglinguist
    CunnningLinguist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another Japanese game overrated because of cute anime art style.

Be warned: the game is not fully turn-based. Watch videos beore you pay money, the gameplay can get annoying quickly with enemies firing out of turn, just because they can. Also, you get hit even behind cover. IMO the way they have tried to force some real-time action into tactical turn-based play just does not work.

And then there's the "story" and dialogue... *cringe*

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Yeah, I just watched the old QL ... It does look like an artstyle that would hold up.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.