388 Comments
Edited by Colourful_Hippie

@deathfromace said:

@Ferros said:

I don't care about CG trailers anymore, show gameplay or it's meaningless.

Teasers before there is much to show of the actual game. This is getting the name of the game out and the general idea behind it.

Exactly. It just sets a tone for what universe and fiction will be. Seems interesting and I'm personally mildly excited just because of how much I liked the Witcher games. In many other cases I would just wait for actual gameplay before getting excited.

Posted by DukesT3

I'm offended by the lack of clothes on her.

Posted by theuselessgod

Here's the full secret message at the end, transcribed by my now poor, tired eyes (I'm assuming nobody posted this yet):

"Do you like our latest creation? We certainly hope so! You may remember that we sometime send you guys secret messages like this. It's a great way for us to speak right to you instead of burying ourselves in corporate mumbo-jumbo. So let's begin!

First of all -- have you noticed all the details in our trailer (yes, it's a teaser. We'll make a proper trailer in the future). If you know the Cyberpunk setting, there are some things you can spot, like implants -- look for the weapon hands and the real skin -- corporate emblems that should look familiar and more. Happy hunting!

You're probably curious about the release date. It's currently scheduled a ways off in 2016 but in truth the delivery date is more like "When it's done." We will release Cyberpunk to you when we're convinced it is nothing but pure, refined, unadulterated awesome. We want it to be the most kick ass futuristic RPG Ever -- OK, maybe this sounds pretty bully, but it is our actual goal. You judge if we deliver it!

OH--and you may wonder why we announced our game so early before the release. The reason is that we're still building our dev team so if you are a talented dude or dudette willing to work in a really different company (gamers rule and boring corporate stuff drools!) on a super ambitious project, send us your application right now! Careers@cdprojektred.com

So, you want to know what kind of game Cyberpunk 2077 will be? The short description is that it will be a story-heavy, nonlinear, open world RPG based on the well known Cyberpunk pen and paper system and setting. Building open world games is something we are mastering right now and we believe that properly joining nonlinear gameplay with an excellent story telling will bring a totally new quality. We'll tell you some more about it soon!

And that's not all that's new. We are about to reveal our other project, which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we're talking about. On the 5th of February it will be all clear.

So stay tuned, as we will have quite a lot to show and tell you soon!

We are waiting for you on our newly created forum called Afterlife. What other name could we have chosen for it?

CD Projekt Red Team"

Posted by Colourful_Hippie

@theuselessgod: Wow, great work dude! Even though this is a ways off, I'm seriously stoked for the next-gen of games if we can expect stuff like that!

Posted by koolaid39

These folks make terrific rpgs. Pumped for The Witcher 3 and some Cyberpunk!

Posted by KosmoK

I've played a fair bit of the pen & paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020 "back in the day". And those fond memories came back immediately. Can't wait for this.

Edited by Itwastuesday

i don't understand. isn't it the future? why isn't she using guns? we see a bullet shatter on her in the beginning of the trailer, so why is that guy threatening her with a gun to the back of the head? especially because she was shot with multiple rifles, but that guy has some sort of future pistol. is that going to do more damage? if these guys live in the future, don't they know that stupid cyborg people are immune to bullets?

Posted by casper_

i thought there was gonna be more mohawks and leopard print jackets but whatever

Posted by Terjay

Absolutely awesome teaser.

Posted by Th3irdEye

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@deathfromace said:

@Ferros said:

I don't care about CG trailers anymore, show gameplay or it's meaningless.

Teasers before there is much to show of the actual game. This is getting the name of the game out and the general idea behind it.

Exactly. It just sets a tone for what universe and fiction will be. Seems interesting and I'm personally mildly excited just because of how much I liked the Witcher games. In many other cases I would just wait for actual gameplay before getting excited.

I would have to agree that a CG trailer in this instance is OK. Especially since they used it to deliver a secret message and the game won't be out until sometime around 2016. Definitely no way to put gameplay in a trailer that early.

Edited by Terjay
Posted by marbleCmoney

Bullets are cooler than lasers.

Posted by Crab_Slayer

@mbr2: What in the world are you babbling about? That trailer looked nothing like Star Wars. It looked Blade Runner and Ghost In The Shell inspired.

Posted by apothaeos

The gun at 1:38 says "Available Free at militech.com," but this domain appears to be a generic ad page. ARG, anyone?

Posted by XtremePudim

@Terjay: I never heard of Cyberpunk 2020 before, reading the Wikipedia page it seams you standard “post-apocalyptic dystopian future where corporations have risen to supreme power”, maybe this will be the Syndicate game people wanted, well the one I wanted anyway.

Edited by huser

@Itwastuesday said:

i don't understand. isn't it the future? why isn't she using guns? we see a bullet shatter on her in the beginning of the trailer, so why is that guy threatening her with a gun to the back of the head? especially because she was shot with multiple rifles, but that guy has some sort of future pistol. is that going to do more damage? if these guys live in the future, don't they know that stupid cyborg people are immune to bullets?

About 15 minutes before the trailer, the world suddenly made a whole lot of sense to this lady, but there were too many wheezing, smelly bags of flesh crowding around her to really digest it. So she dealt with that issue. But suddenness as well as the nature of the epiphany precludes prepping and arming herself, not when monomolecular knives are built into her forearms.

In the PnP game anyways armor nullifies damage unless it reaches a threshold. So unless you REALLY dump into an armored target with lower rated weapons and eventually get lucky, the armor largely makes you invulnerable. It's entirely possible the "future pistol" IS a firearm rated to get past 'borg armor, (it doesn't look like an EMP gun). Also brains are transferred in the 'borg process, so her life is very much at risk if that gun is capable of hurting her.

Of course a psychotic that just flipped and killed 14 folks might not be in a state to rationally work all that out, then again looks like she got past her episode, kneeling on the street.

Posted by ribeye

Whelp I'm sold

Also, sweet Witcher 3 is close

Posted by dr_mantas

CD Project always puts out great CG trailers.

This looks pretty cool.

Posted by Crab_Slayer

@HerbieBug said:

This is not a good trailer. This is more of the same bullshit that the games industry marketing people have been putting out lately, with only vague connections to the actual game in question. Show me a video game please, otherwise I do not care about your cinematics and your quick cuts and your oh so artistic music choices.

@Stimpack said:

Where's my Prey 2?

Exactly.

Duder, what the hell is your problem! This is a "teaser trailer", not a game play trailer. Company's produce teasers to get the word out about their up coming produces. I'm pretty sure they will release a game play trailer later on this year when their ready to.

And Prey 2 was placed on hold until it further notice.

Posted by Palaeomerus

@KosmoK said:

I've played a fair bit of the pen & paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020 "back in the day". And those fond memories came back immediately. Can't wait for this.

Yeah. Back in 1992 2020 seemed a long long way off. Now it's only seven years off. Now we know that in seven years we'll probably just have smaller cars, some new over the counter drugs, dumber hairstyles, and maybe a-la-carte streams of cable channel content if we are lucky. Robot arms will still suck and very few firearms will use caseless ammo. Moving it up to 2077 was probably a good idea. Of course when I was a little kid I watched Space 1999 and Robotech/Macross on TV, and 2001 and 2010 in movie theatres so I'm used to sci-fi futures gradually going obsolete.

Edited by huser

OK like the Dynalar and Alt poster. Like the Kiroshi Optics holo ad and the Militech on the dude's gun. If her eyes had been bright blue and had Nikon (or Nikkon) etched around the iris...

Ah yes the MAX-TAC badge as well..

Posted by Terramagi

@XtremePudim said:

@Terjay: I never heard of Cyberpunk 2020 before, reading the Wikipedia page it seams you standard “post-apocalyptic dystopian future where corporations have risen to supreme power”, maybe this will be the Syndicate game people wanted, well the one I wanted anyway.

To be fair, Cyberpunk is called Cyberpunk BECAUSE of Cyberpunk 2020.

It's like how the Simpsons did everything, and now if you watch it you're like "oh man all these tired ass cliches" when they were the ones to invent those things in the first place.

Posted by DorkyMohr

So pumped.

Posted by Tom_Scherschel

If first images of your game involve a classically beautiful woman on her knees and a man pressing a gun into her head go back to the fucking drawing board. Jesus.

Posted by Cybexx

Platige Image does such awesome work. Their work on the Witcher trailers is mesmerizing as well.

Posted by Terjay

Someone might've mentioned it already but the song is Bullets by Archive. Probably a remix.

Posted by Crab_Slayer

I've been reading the comments for this trailer and its pretty clear that a lot of people don't understand whats happening, let me explain. The game is based off a Pen and Paper game called CyberPunk. For those who haven't played the P&P game: MAX-TAC is a special police unit that responds to situations involving cyborgs that go crazy. They often "recruit" the cyborgs that go crazy, by reprogramming them to serve in the MAX-TAC and save people to pay for their former crimes. That's what you're seeing in the trailer. It's playback of how a female MAX-TAC officer became part of the squad.

Also, the women is "overly sexualized" because she's a cyborg. She more than likely wanted her body to look like that. If you where rich and could afford to implant your brain into a robot body, you would choose to look good as well.

Posted by Grasu

@NoelVeiga said:

So... given up on actually coming up with names for games anymore, huh?

Nice, stylish trailer, though. Although the whole "it'll be out when it's ready" thing makes CD Projekt feel like they are pushing a bit too hard to come across as... well, Valve.

thats exactly what I was thinking.

Posted by Sarx

Judging from the trailer epilogue the blade-girl was probably brain-jacked.

Posted by NoelVeiga

@huser said:

To each their own. I was right with Penny Arcade when they cheekily skewered the Witcher name when it was first (or very early on regardless) announced. Turns out the game was great. As a Cyberpunk player that transitioned from 2013 to 2020, I welcome the Cyberpunk: Year motif as it actually says a lot while also raising a whole lot of other questions.

Well, it's the Internet. We laughed at iPhone as well, and look where that ended. A game called "Cyberpunk", without a lot of name recognition in the first place, doesn't play as well in 2013 as it probably did in 1988. Shadowrun is a much dumber name on the face of it, in that it's not a real word, just two real words that have nothing to do with each other spelled without a space in the middle, but at least it doesn't give anyone a reason to wonder if CD Projekt would have called Red Dead Redemption just "Western".

Online
Posted by Drace

I don't know if CD Projekt does their cinematics in house or with a third party but they are so well done.

Posted by Giantstalker

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I wonder if this will focus on a single protagonist Witcher-style, or allow for a bit more choice.

Posted by xite

So the killer robot lady is actually a cop after the Val Kilmer looking dude shoots her? Cool trailer and I'm pumped but it didn't make any sense.

Posted by Terjay

@xite said:

So the killer robot lady is actually a cop after the Val Kilmer looking dude shoots her? Cool trailer and I'm pumped but it didn't make any sense.

Killer lady has gone psycho for all the cybertech implants she's had. The cop dude is from a special squad that deals with cyberpsychosis cases and sometimes they just try to reprogram the psychos to work for them. One wouldn't want to waste all that cool hardware.

Posted by huser

@Crab_Slayer said:

I've been reading the comments for this trailer and its pretty clear that a lot of people don't understand whats happening, let me explain. The game is based off a Pen and Paper game called CyberPunk. For those who haven't played the P&P game: MAX-TAC is a special police unit that responds to situations involving cyborgs that go crazy. They often "recruit" the cyborgs that go crazy, by reprogramming them to serve in the MAX-TAC and save people to pay for their former crimes. That's what you're seeing in the trailer. It's playback of how a female MAX-TAC officer became part of the squad.

Also, the women is "overly sexualized" because she's a cyborg. She more than likely wanted her body to look like that. If you where rich and could afford to implant your brain into a robot body, you would choose to look good as well.

More to the point, she's not exactly that far off what the art of Cyberpunk typically showed. I'm looking at you Rockergirl/Netrunner/Techie classes...

Posted by Tebbit

Rad logo, cool music, zero gameplay.

I'm in.

Posted by huser

@NoelVeiga said:

@huser said:

To each their own. I was right with Penny Arcade when they cheekily skewered the Witcher name when it was first (or very early on regardless) announced. Turns out the game was great. As a Cyberpunk player that transitioned from 2013 to 2020, I welcome the Cyberpunk: Year motif as it actually says a lot while also raising a whole lot of other questions.

Well, it's the Internet. We laughed at iPhone as well, and look where that ended. A game called "Cyberpunk", without a lot of name recognition in the first place, doesn't play as well in 2013 as it probably did in 1988. Shadowrun is a much dumber name on the face of it, in that it's not a real word, just two real words that have nothing to do with each other spelled without a space in the middle, but at least it doesn't give anyone a reason to wonder if CD Projekt would have called Red Dead Redemption just "Western".

We did? I recall there being a whole lot of interest for years before the iPhone was actually announced. People following up on obscure Apple patent filings and whatnot (at least on Engadget my go to tech site of the mid 00's). There were certainly partisans even then, but it was definitely looked forward to with interest if only to slag whatever came out of Apple's doors.

Like I said, Witcher didn't and doesn't particularly evoke more than the most generic of generic seeming fantasy settings. Perhaps neither does Cyberpunk: Year to those who aren't already fans or deep RPG fans who might have heard about it in passing. But to those folks the title does tell them things, not just about the universe but the dedication to the source material this name implies. Hewing that closely to something as obscure as you say, says to the fans (the only people who matter 3 years before a game is even theoretically coming out) that the devs take their wading into other people's pool seriously. Given the relative success of Deus Ex over say Syndicate I hope that is true and maintains over the next few years.

Posted by NoelVeiga

@huser: Yes we did. Lots of hype on the thing, lots of joking about the name of the thing. iMac and iPod were clearly brands, but with iPhone, it was just "stick the letter i before the word for something". People kept joking about iShoes and iKettles and iDildos all over the Internet. Things only reached a fever pitch like that again when the iPad got announced and launched a million iTampon jokes.

Didn't hurt the products much, because the products were pretty cool, but yeah, the years of iPhone, iPad and Wii were rough for product name jokes.

Online
Posted by Grasu

@triviaman09 said:

Announcement teasers are such a waste of everyone's time. Especially when what the game actually is isn't even readily apparent. Either give me a gameplay trailer or just put a text announcement with a screenshot or two out there. I couldn't care less about your bloody boob dress lady and bullet fetish.

You're not the only person in this world. Others enjoy these trailers. If you dont like it dont watch it.

Edited by Krystal_Sackful

@Tom_Scherschel said:

If first images of your game involve a classically beautiful woman on her knees and a man pressing a gun into her head go back to the fucking drawing board. Jesus.

Ugh, whine, whine, whine. Yeah, every women is a holy unapproachable creature beyond good and evil and even the implication of violence to one of them is unforgivable regardless of circumstance. Did you miss the part where she had gone berserk and killed 14 innocent women and men with her giant arm knives? If you think putting a gun to the head of a dangerous psycho like that is wrong just because she's a pretty woman, you're being very shallow.

This is the future, a time of prosthetic bodies. Her appearance is 100% artificial. There could very well be the brain of a 78 year old man who wanted to look like a beautiful woman, and you wouldn't know. You couldn't know. All you see is the exterior. That's the whole point of this trailer, nothing can be taken at face value anymore and anything is possible. If you want to look handsome, they can do that. If you want to look dumpy and fat yet have the strength of 20 men, they can do that. Its like physical photoshop. You can create anything from scratch and make it truly convincing, and for that reason truth is over. Everyone, no matter what they look like or how well you thought you knew them, they can instantly become a monster ready to turn you inside out. Society no longer works. Every assumption tied to appearance flies straight out the window. Death is all around you. Fear and suspicion is the only sane response. A great set-up for an rpg if you ask me.

Edited by DexterKid

Everything this company puts out feels like it's been thought up by people on video game forums.

Posted by theanticitizen

The font makes me wanna listen to Daft Punk

Posted by WinterSnowblind

5th of February for an open world Witcher 3? That's more exciting than the trailer itself.

Posted by ptys

Sex sells, but do we have to be so blatant with the girl's outfit!.. p.s. guns aren't cool. I'm only really interested if this is a next gen. game, otherwise, nah.

Posted by Wilshere

@xite said:

So the killer robot lady is actually a cop after the Val Kilmer looking dude shoots her? Cool trailer and I'm pumped but it didn't make any sense.

Or the guy is a corrupt cop.

Posted by WinterSnowblind

@ptys said:

Sex sells, but do we have to be so blatant with the girl's outfit!.. p.s. guns aren't cool. I'm only really interested if this is a next gen. game, otherwise, nah.

These guys are PC developers. The Witcher 2 was essentially a next-gen game, the 360 port had to be pretty dramatically scaled back. If the Witcher 3 is doing all that and more in an open world setting, the current gen consoles won't have a prayer of running it and the secret message says not to expect Cyberpunk until 2016-ish. So yeah.. "Next-gen".

Posted by Lukos

I love the "Coming: When it's ready"

Posted by golguin

@ejiehi said:

So is this the prequel to Cleopatra 2525?

I laughed. I think that used to come out after Xena or Hercules.

Posted by Thiefsie

@Drace said:

I don't know if CD Projekt does their cinematics in house or with a third party but they are so well done.

Probably 90% guaranteed to be Blur Studios product as per the majority of other rendered cut scenes for all gaming, apart from Sqeenix who have that calibre of production in-house and perhaps Blizzard.

Posted by Will_M
@ptys

Sex sells, but do we have to be so blatant with the girl's outfit!.. p.s. guns aren't cool. I'm only really interested if this is a next gen. game, otherwise, nah.

At least her outfit isn't as bad as the fifth element.