Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 18, 2008

An MMORPG based on the Games Workshop franchise developed by Mythic Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. Some of the features were brutal RvR battles (Realm vs Realm) and siege warfare. Warhammer Online was shut down December 18th, 2013.

This compared to wow?

Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Kane

So, i tried playing wow a year ago, i played it for 2 months and just got tired of it, Right off the bat is was kinda cool, but it slowewly got more and more repetative, Eventualy i just gave up and started playing cod4 again, is this game not so repetative? Does it do something about every level to keep it interesting? 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

It's an MMO.  If you didn't like WoW, you will more than likely not like Warhammer...or Guild Wars...or Everquest...or Conan...

You see where this is going?

There are 3 reviews up on the Warhammer Online page here at GB.  Check those out and see if they help ya any.  =  /  That's the most I can say.

On a personal note, I fucking love Warhammer Online.  I just wish they'd fix some of the graphical issues.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By xruntime

Yeah - sounds like you just don't like MMOs. Which is just fine, I don't either.

The repetitive MMOs are the most addicting ones, ironically.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By demonbear

This game should not be compared to WoW. It's much closer to LOTRO than anything else in its pace in leveling, quests, etc.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Snail
    Kane said:
    "So, i tried playing wow a year ago, i played it for 2 months and just got tired of it, Right off the bat is was kinda cool, but it slowewly got more and more repetative, Eventualy i just gave up and started playing cod4 again, is this game not so repetative? Does it do something about every level to keep it interesting? "

Slowly got more and more repetitive.. You just described all MMO's. If your undecided pick Lord of the Rings Online.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Branthog

Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kane

I do like mmos' i actualy play guild wars on and off just something about WoW seemed very repetative i know guild wars is too, it just seemed better

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Milkman
    Kane said:
    "I do like mmos' i actualy play guild wars on and off just something about WoW seemed very repetative i know guild wars is too, it just seemed better"
    Guild Wars isn't exactly an MMO.
    Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Nintendude
    Milkman said:
    "Kane said:
    "I do like mmos' i actualy play guild wars on and off just something about WoW seemed very repetative i know guild wars is too, it just seemed better"
    Guild Wars isn't exactly an MMO."
    The difference is quite small so it's pretty much comparable to MMO games.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitNRun
    Kane said:
    "So, i tried playing wow a year ago, i played it for 2 months and just got tired of it, Right off the bat is was kinda cool, but it slowewly got more and more repetative, Eventualy i just gave up and started playing cod4 again, is this game not so repetative? Does it do something about every level to keep it interesting? "
    The Definitive Answer:

Just because you didn't like WoW doesn't mean you won't like Warhammer. Warhammer is quite different in the macro-focus of the game. However, if the part of WoW that bothered you was the repetition of similar tasks and every level being the same, then no, you probably won't like Warhammer.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Patchinko

There are gameplay features that are very different from WoW.

The PVP (or RVR) in WAR is very different from WoW's. There's a possibility you'll enjoy the PVP enough to make you like WAR. And it gives you significant XP and rewards, so you don't need to grind quests to level up like you do in WoW. So yeah, they're not exactly the same.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Kazona
    Patchinko said:
    "There are gameplay features that are very different from WoW.

The PVP (or RVR) in WAR is very different from WoW's. There's a possibility you'll enjoy the PVP enough to make you like WAR. And it gives you significant XP and rewards, so you don't need to grind quests to level up like you do in WoW. So yeah, they're not exactly the same."
    Yep. I've already played several battle scenarios and I'm enjoying those alot more than I did in WoW. I like how it gives you both xp and influence rewards. So if I'm tired of questing I'll just join some scenarios and get me some xp that way. I can't say much about the overal pacing of the game yet, though, but Warhammer seems to have a higher pacing than WoW. Just don't quote me on that lol.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By TomA

Well they did lower the amount of exp needed to gain a level,so that should definitely help.Also they startted the recruit a freind program,which is pretty awesome.So if your looking to get back into WoW for WOLTK then PM me maybe we can do recruit a freind and get triple exp!And BTW the other people are right,if you don't like WoW you won't like any other MMO.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By jakob187
    Nintendude said:
    "Milkman said:
    "Kane said:
    Guild Wars isn't exactly an MMO."
    The difference is quite small so it's pretty much comparable to MMO games.

"
    An instanced world and social towns isn't necessarily MMO.  Honestly, I'd consider it more of an RPG with social chat rooms to hop into.  Still, the PvP in GW is fucking brilliant.  Loved it when I played it, but the lvl 20 cap just couldn't cut it for me.
    Honestly, those who don't like MMOs could easily get into Guild Wars with little to no problem.  Other than that, though...I don't think you can get into any of them without experiencing an "MMO" for what most of them are:  second jobs.
    Loupgarou216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Loupgarou216

WAR's PvP/RvR is vastly superior to WoW's and the graphics are slightly better as well. The rest is debatable, really.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jigen

Based on the War beta which I played, this MMO is more like WoW than any other MMO so far.  Everything down to the interface & a lot of how the game plays.  LOTR is very WoW like too, for example, but WoW and War are more alike than any two MMOs really.

Graphically the style is a little worse, but it can look technically better in parts (especially Dwarf starting area).

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By BlindEffekt

Gameplay wise, i am loving WAR far better then WoW.
    The RvR and scenarios are awesome, but connection and reliability wise WoW is superior ( obviously ).
    Once WAR is sorted out, its going to be epic.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By OGCartman

WAR is in a whole other leage than WoW when it comes to fun and gameplay and pvp.
    Its much better than WoW, but it sounds like u dont like the MMO formula, so you should wait for a demo

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By TomA

Cartamn you said WAR is better than wow how so,the only good part of WAR is pvp and the UI sucks so much its hard to even play the damn thing

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Patchinko
    TomA said:
    "

Cartamn you said WAR is better than wow how so,the only good part of WAR is pvp and the UI sucks so much its hard to even play the damn thing

"
    The WoW vanilla UI sucks horribly as well. At least the WAR one is fully customizable out of the box, not to mention having the exact same add-on capabilities of WoW.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By coakroach

Wait for a trial to come out
    Then see if you like the PvP
    That's WAR's best aspect

Avatar image for genericmetaphor
    GenericMetaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GenericMetaphor

WAR is an average MMORPG. Because of that it's insanely boring. WAR's graphics are not impressive.

WOW is a good MMORPG. Because of it that it has mild elements of fun. But again it's still an MMORPG and is boring over a long period of time.

THE pvp in WAR is not superior to WOW pvp.. this will be seen over time. Right now it's too early to make an conclusion on this issue. MOST people who compare WAR pvp to WOW pvp are the guys who just play battlegrounds and have limited success in ARENA. There is no difference in general pvp elements... you see an enemy, you attempt to kill him, for whatever objective.

The real hype from this game comes from the fact that WOW is nearly 4 years old and people are looking for a new world to explore. WAR offers nothing new or interesting to MMORPGS yes.. public quests, RVR, different names for something that's still the same as other things we've seen before.

It's a decent game, but over time, besides for addicts, this game has nothing to offer. Like all MMORPGs, which essentially haven't changed since they were released.

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By iGaboru
    GenericMetaphor said:
    "WAR is an average MMORPG. Because of that it's insanely boring. WAR's graphics are not impressive.

WOW is a good MMORPG. Because of it that it has mild elements of fun. But again it's still an MMORPG and is boring over a long period of time.

THE pvp in WAR is not superior to WOW pvp.. this will be seen over time. Right now it's too early to make an conclusion on this issue. MOST people who compare WAR pvp to WOW pvp are the guys who just play battlegrounds and have limited success in ARENA. There is no difference in general pvp elements... you see an enemy, you attempt to kill him, for whatever objective.

The real hype from this game comes from the fact that WOW is nearly 4 years old and people are looking for a new world to explore. WAR offers nothing new or interesting to MMORPGS yes.. public quests, RVR, different names for something that's still the same as other things we've seen before.

It's a decent game, but over time, besides for addicts, this game has nothing to offer. Like all MMORPGs, which essentially haven't changed since they were released."
    +1
    KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KindGalaxy

I play both, WoW for fake friends I only know in WoW. WAR with people I know personally, can afford the dual subs

igl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By igl

I am kinda torn aswell, I played wow the first month at its release, and got pretty bored and stopped around lvl 34. I also played Guild Wars like bat-shit-crazy(7000hours+) for 4 years.
    Right now I am pretty torn if I will buy a second month for Wowhammer, it has a lot of stuff that I like but the problems stick out further, the longer you play.
    Actually WAR made me go back to guild wars for a few rounds of AB tonight. The pvp is definitly better. and gameplay. and graphics.. heck. But goblins rule.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By Knives
    GenericMetaphor said:
    "WAR is an average MMORPG. Because of that it's insanely boring. WAR's graphics are not impressive.

It's a decent game, but over time, besides for addicts, this game has nothing to offer. Like all MMORPGs, which essentially haven't changed since they were released."
    Not to mention WoW's PvE is vastly superior to War. I've already canceled my War account in preparation for WotLK. It's a shame too. I really want an MMO besides WoW to really take off. The next one to watch out for is Champions Online. There are so many quirks in War that I just can't overlook.

I don't understand the people that think an MMO should provide an endless amount of entertainment and never get boring. Yes, WoW got boring after 4 years, but even then, it's still better than War. I'm level 21 in War and it's already feeling like a chore. It was well over a year into WoW when I felt like not logging in. I haven't (seriously) played WoW since Summer '07, so WotLK should feel pretty fresh for me. 
    Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Reale

I have played counter-strike for 8+ years and at times i went to other FPS's, its ok to do it with MMO's too...i didnt like wow because i didnt like the idea of fighting cows (too cartoony for myself)... its as simple as that, for me also, i like the idea of a PvP focused MMO (yes it has the PvE there too) but you only have to play what you want to play in an mmo and for me i like to (when i am able to connect) play in a team and fight off other players (even as a healing class) its a differnt experience to an FPS but it keeps the idea of team work and classes and yes you can get a similar experince from other games, its up to you though as to which! i hate talking about WoW or War... play them and make an opinion on the results you have found yourself because thats the only true answer you will get.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By mike

jakob187 said:

"It's an MMO.  If you didn't like WoW, you will more than likely not like Warhammer...or Guild Wars...or Everquest...or Conan...
    You see where this is going?
    I couldn't disagree with you more.  I loved World of Warcraft and the Burning Crusade for a couple of years before I quit.  I couldn't play Warhammer Online for more than a few days before I gave up in disgust.
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By OGCartman
    I have been defending WAR and calling it thee greatest MMO for a couple months now, i still agree with that.
    .....but im playing WoW right now O_o

WoW is a much bigger game, and has a great legacy to the game. With so much to do, with a huge world, expansions, new content added daily, dungeons, raids and stuff. Its epic.

WAR is much funner, better PvP, but a much smaller and is much, much less than what WoW offers.
    Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Reale
    Cartman said:
    "I have been defending WAR and calling it thee greatest MMO for a couple months now, i still agree with that.
    .....but im playing WoW right now O_o

WoW is a much bigger game, and has a great legacy to the game. With so much to do, with a huge world, expansions, new content added daily, dungeons, raids and stuff. Its epic.

WAR is much funner, better PvP, but a much smaller and is much, much less than what WoW offers.
    "
    that might have something to do with being 4 years old...however, new content added daily is a massive stretch... thats why people dont come back until the expansion is out - they then run through the content and wait for the next expansion.
    Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Royale
    Cartman said:
    Lol at new content added daily... the content added since BC was released is content that the majority of players will still never see.... until the next expansion (after WotLK).  I'm looking at you Naxxaramas... what a joke it was when they spent all that time creating that raid so the top 1% (or less) could see it.  It would have been better to dedicate the time spent creating that place to making the PVP a little more viable.  The same goes with Sunwell Plateau.  Now, 2 and a half years since Naxxaramas came out, players will finally get to try it out... in 10 man raid no less... not quite as epic as pre BC days.  Epic was the 40 man raids that existed pre BC.  Epic was watching Ragnaros strike down Majordomo Executus, from whom you barely escaped from, before turning to face you and your guild mates.  I do carry a large burden of hate against WoW.. I played it from launch until earlier this year because lately that game has really pissed me off... and the expansion to me doesn't seem to be fixing any of those problems.  Don't get me started about death knights... especially the Tauren variety...

Cartman said:
    If you really believe that, play WAR until you exhaust what it has to offer... then if you are still not satisfied.. go back to WoW... there is plenty of honor to grind.  But I seriously doubt that you have seen or even thought of all that WAR has to offer... or what is to come in the future.
    Reale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Reale

i agree with a lot of what your saying Royale, however "until exhaust  what it has to offer...." people make me laugh in the way they play MMO's, i have been playing the same FPS's for 8 years and there is rarely anything new to see, same maps and same weapons, but the community keeps me going back, i dont see why people dont treat MMO's the same, people just grind there faces off, go for the top loot then leave...even down to the way people command each other on Vent is funny, in FPS's you laugh at gettting fucked over by the other team but you try... i think people should play the game for what it is without deciding "oh i need to get to the end game NOW!!!!"  - i just dont see why the mentality is so differnt from differnt genres

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Royale

and I agree with you Reale.  End game content is awesome usually because it has to be, but what about the journey to get there...?

I've been playing WAR pretty slow.  I go out of my way to explore a cave that I might not have a quest in, or take time to read quest text.  People who bitch now about WAR having no end game is because the WAR end game is lacking what actually makes an MMO... players.  To those who powered to 40 just to get there... now what?  What is really so different about the end game MMO that you had to skip all the middle?  Remember the massive and multiplayer of MMO and enjoy the community while enjoying the fantastic world that you are in.  This goes to all MMO players.  Don't get me started about those who buy accounts so they can have a different class at the level cap... 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.