Wasteland 2 Is Alive, Well, and Has a Screen Shot

  • 68 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by patrickklepek (5992 posts) -

Kickstarter continues to be a sprawling resource for game developers looking to fund their fantasy project, but it’s not clear whether the games coming out of Kickstarter will be worth their funding headlines. Wasteland 2 is one of the most successful projects, and now we have the first screen shot.

Drum roll, please?

Alpha Screenshot

That looks...great? To be fair, I haven’t played the original Wasteland, so maybe you can tell me how wrong I am in the comments, but that looks like a pretty neat top-down post-apocalyptic world, and now it’s a matter of waiting to see how it plays. That’s the most important part, but so far, so good, and it's hard to argue with a robo scorpion.

Wasteland 2 raised nearly $3 million in April, and is scheduled for a release in October 2013.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5992 posts) -

Kickstarter continues to be a sprawling resource for game developers looking to fund their fantasy project, but it’s not clear whether the games coming out of Kickstarter will be worth their funding headlines. Wasteland 2 is one of the most successful projects, and now we have the first screen shot.

Drum roll, please?

Alpha Screenshot

That looks...great? To be fair, I haven’t played the original Wasteland, so maybe you can tell me how wrong I am in the comments, but that looks like a pretty neat top-down post-apocalyptic world, and now it’s a matter of waiting to see how it plays. That’s the most important part, but so far, so good, and it's hard to argue with a robo scorpion.

Wasteland 2 raised nearly $3 million in April, and is scheduled for a release in October 2013.

#2 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2501 posts) -

This looks just like the original!

Can't wait for my cloth map.

#3 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

#4 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@ModerateViolence said:

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

It will be...if it's ever finished. This is just an Alpha Screenshot, but even if the graphics aren't top notch I'm sure everything else will be. You know, the important things.

#5 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@ModerateViolence said:

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

It will be...if it's ever finished. This is just an Alpha Screenshot, but even if the graphics aren't top notch I'm sure everything else will be. You know, the important things.

As someone who still regularly plays Fallout 1 & 2, I'm not so fussed about graphics, I just want a nice throwback title.

#6 Posted by VoshiNova (1732 posts) -

Excited!!!

#7 Posted by Wandrecanada (412 posts) -

Whatever that screenshot is from that's the second biggest mechanical scorpion I've ever seen.

#8 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

@ModerateViolence said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@ModerateViolence said:

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

It will be...if it's ever finished. This is just an Alpha Screenshot, but even if the graphics aren't top notch I'm sure everything else will be. You know, the important things.

As someone who still regularly plays Fallout 1 & 2, I'm not so fussed about graphics, I just want a nice throwback title.

As long as the game-play is good, I don't think it'll matter what the graphics look like.

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@ModerateViolence said:

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

It will be...if it's ever finished. This is just an Alpha Screenshot, but even if the graphics aren't top notch I'm sure everything else will be. You know, the important things.

Graphics are important. But i'm just being nitpicky here, i'm sure the game will be great.
#10 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

Oh no, Loveless is attacking the gas station! Someone call Jim West!

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Man I really want this to be great.

#12 Posted by falling_fast (2263 posts) -

keep the fuck out!

#13 Posted by iAmJohn (6131 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Oh no, Loveless is attacking the gas station! Someone call Jim West!

So glad I wasn't the only fucked up individual to look at this screenshot and think Wild Wild West.

#14 Posted by deskp (450 posts) -
#15 Posted by airmikee99 (9 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Brodehouse said:

Oh no, Loveless is attacking the gas station! Someone call Jim West!

So glad I wasn't the only fucked up individual to look at this screenshot and think Wild Wild West.

The first game took place in the Southwestern US with Las Vegas being a prime destination. Wild Wild West indeed, as intended.

#16 Posted by Praetor_Sean (8 posts) -

So far it looks most similar to Fallout 3 (Van Buren). Also it should be noted that in the Kickstarter post by Fargo he stated that this screenshot has no particle effects or post-processing. So the actual game should be more dynamic and alive than this image implies.

#17 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

Everyone should play Krater. I feel like that game is getting overlooked. Really enjoyed my time with it so far.

#18 Posted by CptBedlam (4454 posts) -

@Praetor_Sean said:

So far it looks most similar to Fallout 3 (Van Buren).

Yep, the Van Buren prototype of FO3 was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

I like it.

#19 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -
@airmikee99

@iAmJohn said:

@Brodehouse said:

Oh no, Loveless is attacking the gas station! Someone call Jim West!

So glad I wasn't the only fucked up individual to look at this screenshot and think Wild Wild West.

The first game took place in the Southwestern US with Las Vegas being a prime destination. Wild Wild West indeed, as intended.

Wild Wild West; ridiculous movie.... Probably could've been a pretty fun game. Co-op third person shooting, crazy levels and enemies, big train sequence, you shoot the hinges on the big spider monster at the end, you fight each of those Hot Ladies as a boss. Jim West has dual pistols and explosive ammo, Kevin Kline has caltrops and smoke bombs. That could've been fun.
#20 Posted by flasaltine (1693 posts) -

Fuck you Patrick. That looks amazing.

#21 Posted by BurningStickMan (235 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

This looks just like the original!

It... does? o.O

#22 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2501 posts) -

@BurningStickMan said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

This looks just like the original!

It... does? o.O

No, I was being sarcastic, it looks awesome. Can't wait to get ahold of the game.

#23 Edited by Jourdon (9 posts) -

@Flacracker said:

Fuck you Patrick. That looks amazing.

You should read a little more closely. "...that looks like a pretty neat top-down, post-apocalyptic world..." It seems to me like he's agreeing with you.

#24 Posted by kindgineer (2789 posts) -

@ModerateViolence said:

Please be good, please be good, please be good.

#25 Edited by jakob187 (21728 posts) -

I was pretty stoked about the game...

...until Obsidian had announced that if the Kickstarter project made over $2.1m, they would be co-developing the game. Between Fargo being the head of a studio that made rather lackluster games like Hunted: The Demon's Forge and Choplifter HD as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II, my confidence level in the game is very low at the moment.

I seriously don't understand why people see Fargo's name and go "OH YES YES YES". Yeah, he made some good games...a long time ago. Hopefully, Wasteland 2 brings back that former glory, but I'm just not seeing a worthwhile braintrust behind the game.

With all that said, the screenshot looks like a screenshot of a top-down post-apocalyptic world. We've NEVER seen that before. = /

I'm just saying - I'm setting my expectations accordingly based on the various studios working on the game. It's cool to see Obsidian and Fargo getting together, given their overall legacy from Interplay. Still...setting expectations...

#26 Posted by outerabiz (666 posts) -

oh no! it's a giant enemy scorpion

#27 Posted by Agnosticwatermelon (53 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I was pretty stoked about the game...

...until Obsidian had announced that if the Kickstarter project made over $2.1m, they would be co-developing the game. Between Fargo being the head of a studio that made rather lackluster games like Hunted: The Demon's Forge and Choplifter HD as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II, my confidence level in the game is very low at the moment.

I seriously don't understand why people see Fargo's name and go "OH YES YES YES". Yeah, he made some good games...a long time ago. Hopefully, Wasteland 2 brings back that former glory, but I'm just not seeing a worthwhile braintrust behind the game.

With all that said, the screenshot looks like a screenshot of a top-down post-apocalyptic world. We've NEVER seen that before. = /

I'm pretty sure Obsidian was just hired to write some of the lore stuff.

#28 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -

Needs more garish EGA graphics.

Online
#29 Posted by Chumm (244 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II

4 of the best games ever released, but who's counting.

#30 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

Of all the KIckstarter projects... there's a reason this is the only one I've ever actually backed.

I mean, I'd have totally backed that one for the camera escort game if I had a platform besides PC to run it on. Also, I'd have bought one of those watches if I had a platform to use it with... And I'd have paid for a OHGODYES if it was actually called the OHGODYES.

#31 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@airmikee99

@iAmJohn said:

@Brodehouse said:

Oh no, Loveless is attacking the gas station! Someone call Jim West!

So glad I wasn't the only fucked up individual to look at this screenshot and think Wild Wild West.

The first game took place in the Southwestern US with Las Vegas being a prime destination. Wild Wild West indeed, as intended.

Wild Wild West; ridiculous movie.... Probably could've been a pretty fun game. Co-op third person shooting, crazy levels and enemies, big train sequence, you shoot the hinges on the big spider monster at the end, you fight each of those Hot Ladies as a boss. Jim West has dual pistols and explosive ammo, Kevin Kline has caltrops and smoke bombs. That could've been fun.

what do you mean Could've been fun? I smell another kickstarter project?

#32 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -
@jakob187 I would be excited if a bunch of people I've never even heard of said "we're making a turn based isometric RPG inspired by Fallout". I like that style of game, I could give a shit if the last game they made was a kind of mediocre Gears clone. Hell, that only proves they can actually ship something.

Obsidian (which is to say, Chris Avellone, the best writer in games history) is only doing some writing. Which is their key skill. This is the best use of their talents.

Also... Hunted was not great, but that game had... I dunno, it had character. I enjoyed watching those two mercernaries, their banter felt realistic and entertaining in a way that games rarely are. It reveals the Marcus and Dom relationship as threadbare and underwritten as it is. Maybe the voice work has something to do with it, it's got Graham Mactavish doing his thing, and Laura Bailey almost unrecognizable, using her lower range.
#33 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

Its looking way better than I expected already! I'm in for the physical copy with map. Can't wait.

#34 Posted by Krelle (171 posts) -

@Chumm said:

@jakob187 said:

as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II

4 of the best games ever released, but who's counting.

If by "best games ever released" you mean top 300 then yes.

#35 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Hm. Looks a little more "stylized" than I was expecting. But considering all the weird crazy shit you're bound to see in the game, it's probably going to be pretty appropriate. And even though it's cartoonish looking, it doesn't mean they can't give the gore plenty of detail.

#36 Posted by Fattony12000 (7588 posts) -

MORE!

#37 Posted by SonicBoyster (360 posts) -

New Vegas had issues but they were using a borrowed engine so I'm not holding them accountable for more than the story and gameplay in that one, which they knocked out of the park. The rest of their titles all 'could have been' amazing but never finished or got the polish they needed. "Co-developing" implies they're going to have help, so I'm going to have faith.

#38 Posted by EchoEcho (836 posts) -

@Krelle said:

@Chumm said:

@jakob187 said:

as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II

4 of the best games ever released, but who's counting.

If by "best games ever released" you mean top 300 then yes.

I would rank New Vegas, NWN2, and KotOR2 well above 300, personally, but that's up to taste. Considering how many genuinely great games have been released in the last couple decades, even being in the top 300 at all would be a pretty big honor.

#39 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@McShank said:

@Brodehouse said:

@airmikee99

@iAmJohn said:

@Brodehouse said:

Oh no, Loveless is attacking the gas station! Someone call Jim West!

So glad I wasn't the only fucked up individual to look at this screenshot and think Wild Wild West.

The first game took place in the Southwestern US with Las Vegas being a prime destination. Wild Wild West indeed, as intended.

Wild Wild West; ridiculous movie.... Probably could've been a pretty fun game. Co-op third person shooting, crazy levels and enemies, big train sequence, you shoot the hinges on the big spider monster at the end, you fight each of those Hot Ladies as a boss. Jim West has dual pistols and explosive ammo, Kevin Kline has caltrops and smoke bombs. That could've been fun.

what do you mean Could've been fun? I smell another kickstarter project?

Wild Wild West sequel via video game, PLEASE!

#40 Posted by Humanity (9825 posts) -

As long as it's an RPG and not a dual stick shooter I'm down!

#41 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3505 posts) -

Looks aight. Still pumped though.

#42 Posted by probablytuna (3795 posts) -

Would love to see the game in motion. Screenshots generally don't do the games justice.

#43 Posted by Krelle (171 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@Krelle said:

@Chumm said:

@jakob187 said:

as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II

4 of the best games ever released, but who's counting.

If by "best games ever released" you mean top 300 then yes.

I would rank New Vegas, NWN2, and KotOR2 well above 300, personally, but that's up to taste. Considering how many genuinely great games have been released in the last couple decades, even being in the top 300 at all would be a pretty big honor.

Yes indeed! For me, top 300 or so feels just about right for those titles. Alpha Protocol doesnt qualify obviously.

However, when Chumm writes "4 of the best games ever released" it sounds like top 10-20 and that's just not even close. Obsidian is a great developer but still has a little bit left to be among the very best.

#44 Posted by Abendlaender (2865 posts) -

Looks better than expected. I just hope this will be good.

#45 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Krelle said:

@EchoEcho said:

@Krelle said:

@Chumm said:

@jakob187 said:

as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II

4 of the best games ever released, but who's counting.

If by "best games ever released" you mean top 300 then yes.

I would rank New Vegas, NWN2, and KotOR2 well above 300, personally, but that's up to taste. Considering how many genuinely great games have been released in the last couple decades, even being in the top 300 at all would be a pretty big honor.

Yes indeed! For me, top 300 or so feels just about right for those titles. Alpha Protocol doesnt qualify obviously.

However, when Chumm writes "4 of the best games ever released" it sounds like top 10-20 and that's just not even close. Obsidian is a great developer but still has a little bit left to be among the very best.

Unless, you know, you like their games? Or that is impossible? Those people like the wrong things?

#46 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@Krelle said:

@EchoEcho said:

@Krelle said:

@Chumm said:

@jakob187 said:

as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II

4 of the best games ever released, but who's counting.

If by "best games ever released" you mean top 300 then yes.

I would rank New Vegas, NWN2, and KotOR2 well above 300, personally, but that's up to taste. Considering how many genuinely great games have been released in the last couple decades, even being in the top 300 at all would be a pretty big honor.

Yes indeed! For me, top 300 or so feels just about right for those titles. Alpha Protocol doesnt qualify obviously.

However, when Chumm writes "4 of the best games ever released" it sounds like top 10-20 and that's just not even close. Obsidian is a great developer but still has a little bit left to be among the very best.

Unless, you know, you like their games? Or that is impossible? Those people like the wrong things?

Man, all I know is Obsidian's made some great, but buggy freaking games. Thankfully I have a pretty big bug tolerance so I was able to enjoy those games more than *coughs, adjusts tie* some people. And New Vegas deserves to be in the top 100, it's better than Fallout 3. Now lets see how far off topic this thread goes.

#47 Posted by JDillinger (158 posts) -

@jakob187: Obsidian is the greatest RPG maker still around. So your opinion is worthless.

#48 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Giant scorpions mean your post-apocalyptic game is headed in the right direction!

#49 Posted by Krelle (171 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@Krelle said:

@EchoEcho said:

@Krelle said:

@Chumm said:

@jakob187 said:

as well as Obsidian being known for creating rather buggy games like Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2, and KOTOR II

4 of the best games ever released, but who's counting.

If by "best games ever released" you mean top 300 then yes.

I would rank New Vegas, NWN2, and KotOR2 well above 300, personally, but that's up to taste. Considering how many genuinely great games have been released in the last couple decades, even being in the top 300 at all would be a pretty big honor.

Yes indeed! For me, top 300 or so feels just about right for those titles. Alpha Protocol doesnt qualify obviously.

However, when Chumm writes "4 of the best games ever released" it sounds like top 10-20 and that's just not even close. Obsidian is a great developer but still has a little bit left to be among the very best.

Unless, you know, you like their games? Or that is impossible? Those people like the wrong things?

Its like Jeff use to say: "I can see why people would say Halo is the best game ever. But they're wrong."

One of my favorite games of all time is Xenogears. Still, Im not foolish enough to believe its one of the best games ever released.

There is no such thing as liking the wrong things, you know that. But for a game like Alpha Protocol there is just not support enough for such an argument. Kotor2? Bit closer, wouldnt raise an eyebrow if someone ranks that as their personal top 10.

Im just trolling guys. Couldnt care less really. Good talk.

#50 Posted by Chumm (244 posts) -

@Krelle said:

Its like Jeff use to say: "I can see why people would say Halo is the best game ever. But they're wrong."

One of my favorite games of all time is Xenogears. Still, Im not foolish enough to believe its one of the best games ever released.

There is no such thing as liking the wrong things, you know that. But for a game like Alpha Protocol there is just not support enough for such an argument. Kotor2? Bit closer, wouldnt raise an eyebrow if someone ranks that as their personal top 10.

Im just trolling guys. Couldnt care less really. Good talk.

You should REALLY play Alpha Protocol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.