Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WET

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

An homage to obscene grindhouse-style movies, WET is a third-person action/shooter soaked in blood and violence. Featuring the voice acting talent of Eliza Dushku & Alan Cumming.

Wet demo impressions

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Edited By raddevon
    If you have not yet played the demo and want to be surprised, do not read this.

Wet is a game that really puts it best foot forward in terms of presentation. The dirty film effect filter (a la Grindhouse) is one not often used in games. The solid red, black, and white palette the game uses when Rubi's face is covered in blood is striking. The music is fantastic--one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a game judging from the three songs in the demo. The highway sequence is thrilling and stands alongside great movie action sequences.

The problem is that actually playing the game isn't so much fun. The combat is very simplistic and not terribly satisfying. It relies too much on the stylish slowdown effects when Rubi fires on enemies while doing her acrobatics. This is a decent effect but doesn't compare to everything I described in the first paragraph. It alone certainly isn't enough to carry the boring combat mechanics.

The fact that I can't decide how I feel about this game is proof of the incredible style of its presentation. There isn't really anything here I can recommend gameplay-wise. Everything feels very clunky, scripted, and on-rails. Why must it look so damn good while doing everything wrong?
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By raddevon
    If you have not yet played the demo and want to be surprised, do not read this.

Wet is a game that really puts it best foot forward in terms of presentation. The dirty film effect filter (a la Grindhouse) is one not often used in games. The solid red, black, and white palette the game uses when Rubi's face is covered in blood is striking. The music is fantastic--one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a game judging from the three songs in the demo. The highway sequence is thrilling and stands alongside great movie action sequences.

The problem is that actually playing the game isn't so much fun. The combat is very simplistic and not terribly satisfying. It relies too much on the stylish slowdown effects when Rubi fires on enemies while doing her acrobatics. This is a decent effect but doesn't compare to everything I described in the first paragraph. It alone certainly isn't enough to carry the boring combat mechanics.

The fact that I can't decide how I feel about this game is proof of the incredible style of its presentation. There isn't really anything here I can recommend gameplay-wise. Everything feels very clunky, scripted, and on-rails. Why must it look so damn good while doing everything wrong?
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Yeah I liked the style and the soundtrack but when it came down to basic gameplay mechanics it sort of fell flat. The acrobatics and combos were little to none and there was never a satisfying kill due to either the enemy AI being so dumb or the combos not stringing together to look awesome.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By raddevon
    @TheMustacheHero: I agree with everything you said. You also jogged my memory of another thing I noticed: the enemies seem to take quite a few bullets. They can only take one chop with the sword. I would actually prefer it the other way around.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @raddevon: Yeah I didn't get that either, I could sit there and shoot a guy in the head 15 times but it only took one slice to the chest to kill any other guy.
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By empfeix

I agree with your guys comments except for the music.

Personally though I did not care for the music at all.  Although admittedly I don't care for those genre's of music.  The music was a fine fit for the pacing of the game, but if you do not like that genre, its irritating as hell.  Funnily enough the menu music is great.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By breadfan

I thought the demo was pretty bad and the actual game will most likely be just as bad.  I did however get a real Quentin Tarentino  vibe from it.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dudacles

I just played the demo. It wasn't great. It felt like playing Stranglehold, but with a more clunky shooting engine, and that's saying something. The usage of the sword is also very disappointing, boiling down to hitting X when near an enemy to insta-kill him. Even the slow-mo's pretty badly implemented, and the grainy Seventies film effect that they're going for did nothing but distract me, with all the "glitches" and crackles on the screen.

I'll keep an eye on it, but the demo has doused my interest in this game for the most part.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By raddevon

I can't help but think someone could take some of the ideas explored in the presentation of this game and wrap those around an awesome game to push it over the top.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

I thought it was dull crap, it reminded me of the nonsense seen in that Cow Yun Fat game. I've seen ample of that grindhouse style this year, elsewhere and done better.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Pie

Felt like a bad stranglehold game.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Pie said:
    " Felt like a bad stranglehold game. "
    This.
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

i dunno i was kinda blown away by it and am considering buying it if i hear its longer than 8 hours.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By raddevon
    @ThePhenomenal1: What hooked you on it?
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Everything about that game is good... except for the actual gameplay.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Griddler
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
    @raddevon said:

" @ThePhenomenal1: What hooked you on it? "

something about the way it felt while playing it. i like the character Rubi. like the whole grainy filter. once i figured out doing the slides and wallruns and the double targeting i was enjoying it. then again i also liked kill bill a whole lot and quentin tarantino style of art and sound.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the demo, just like I will love the game.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @creamypies said:
    " Everything about that game is good... except for the actual gameplay. "
    Ha ha ha, exactly!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.