Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

White Knight Chronicles is a mixture of traditional fantasy JRPG and good old fashioned mecha. The story features Leonard, a protagonist who can transform into the White Knight with the use of an ancient technology. The game also allows players to join forces over the internal multiplayer mode, Geonet.

Should I bother with White Knight Chronicles?

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By essaregee

Okay, so I have no previous opinion on this game, and am sort-of apathetic about it, but as it stands, I have no RPGs to play. 
    Beaten Mass Effect 2, three times now.... don't have a 360, so am looking at good RPGs for the PS3. 

I have seen WK way back in the days where it was only announced for Japan. 
    A year (and a month) later, it is almost out in NA, dubbed "International Edition". 
    When I heard about WK, I was pretty excited about it, however as the game got closer to release, things took a turn in the opposite direction. 

The reviews, atleast for the JP version, said that the game was good - albeit one drawback (the major one), the story. 
    It was said that the story was somewhat crude and unrefined. Also mentioned was the conclusion to the game, it was weak; just as it [the story] was reaching an interesting point, the story ends, and apparently it was also rushed (the pace was too fast to make sense). 

From the gameplay vids I deduced for myself that the game looks like a watered down version of Infinite Undiscovery. It looks to have similar visuals, and for some reason feels really similar to me.  
    Now, my opinion can be wrong entirely save one topic - the multiplayer.  

Worth mentioning that if I buy the game, Multiplayer will probably not make up any of my time spent with this game as I am not a fan of the MMO-like style the multiplayer has taken on. 

For those of you that have imported it or have their own opinions, please share ^.^ 
    Also, any ideas what the differences of the regular and the international version is (other than being English) 
    Thanks!

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZenaxPure

Aside from the multiplayer stuff it looks like a pretty standard RPG, if I had to "judge the book by its cover" I would say it looks average/solid. So I guess if you really want a new RPG to play it might be worth it, though I am sure reviews will be flooding out soon so maybe wait for those?

Not really sure where you are getting the watered down Infinite Undiscovery vibe though, IU was pretty fast paced while this looks more akin to an MMO's combat pacing. Though I agree visually they do look kind of similar (though that is a good thing imo, I liked IU's style).

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Personally, it handles itself very nicely in terms of its battle system and interface. I've played the import version from one of the guys on my dorm floor, and it's a very nice game. Obviously, the graphics don't hold up, but it's stylized enough to where it's more than tolerable. It plays sort of like a hybrid of an MMO and Dragon Age (what with the hotbar and everything); I couldn't understand some of the Japanese text, but I believe you can set up to three hotbars with 6-8 abilities and spells and switch between the three on the fly.

The Georama system wasn't implemented when I played it years ago (it was later patched in) so I can't really comment on it. All weapons and armor sets are displayed visually, so there's a pseudo-incentive behind looting other than better stats. I haven't taken it online but I've heard nothing but good things about it. In my little time spent with the game, it felt like an instant buy and I intend on picking this up over Bioshock 2 this week. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Honestly, if you're even remotely considering this game, it's probably for you. Plus, I want this game to sell so other regions get the sequel.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Junpei

Looks very standard to me. The hurdle I can't get over for buying it is the characters and story. They both seem really uninspired and halfway done. I still plan on playing it eventually but definately not a full price buy for me. Probably just gonna gamefly it at some point.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By essaregee
    @Sleepy_Insomniac: @Junpei: I know it would be somewhat standard, but Junpei is right, I wonder how the story is. Seems pretty uninspired and bland. 
    I'm probably going to buy it anyway, but I hope it is okay.\ 

I wish reviews were up sooner, since there is a promotion at my EB that you can trade games and get double credit if trading in for WK (not sure for other games).
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Pessh

Chances are you've already played it, but if you havn't, I'd get Eternal Sonata instead.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By essaregee
    @Pessh: Yea, sadly I played it, and I have to admit that it was great! 
    Well I will post my review on it it a few days, and it looks like I will swallow my pride and buy WKC tonight.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm currently struggling between getting improved ps3 star ocean 4 or WKC 
    I'm leaning more to WKC because character customizing and all armor makes the characters look different

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon

It looks like a strange mix of Dark Cloud and the since-the-Dreamcast Phantasy Star games. If you're interested in those kinds of game, give it a look-see.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Driadon said:
    " It looks like a strange mix of Dark Cloud and the since-the-Dreamcast Phantasy Star games. If you're interested in those kinds of game, give it a look-see. "
    actually when you say it like that it's my dream game
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steve_C

Star Ocean 4 International will be out soon if that's more your thing, but I'm not sure how good that game is.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Turambar

It ultimately does come down to the multi-player as far as I'm concerned.  The party system is PSO esque while the combat is more akin to FFXII from what I've seen (both a plus for me.)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust
    @essaregee: curiously enough i bought Infinite Undiscovery today.  With Odin Sphere. :) 

But the game doesn't seem to have much to do with White Knight Chronicles... The story is standard jrpg as in the WKC, but the game attempts at non linearity. WKC is linear, and unlike the Square game, it has turn based combat doesn't it?  

@Sleepy_Insomniac said:

" Honestly, if you're even remotely considering this game, it's probably for you. Plus, I want this game to sell so other regions get the sequel. "

I haven't tried the game, but from the video i've seen, the combat system seems to complicated. Also despite the all White Knight mecha, seems a standard fare jrpg. That said, there are probably better rpgs to play than this one, at full price. 

Have you tried The Witcher, Valkyrie Chronicles, the Shin Megami Tensei games - Persona, Digital Devil, Devil Summoner, Nocturne -, Rogue Galaxy, The Last Remnant, Disgaea...?  
    MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Its honestly looks like a graphically improved version of Runescape.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By essaregee
    @Steve_C: Played it on the 360 when I had it. It's good, although sometimes tedious.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By vidiot

Oh yeah, this game comes out tomorrow :P

If I were you, I would do what I'm doing: Wait for reviews and deduct a general consensus. There seems to be a bunch of new content added to this release, given the long time frame it took to have this thing released overseas. 
    It feels like there is an uncountable amount of releases coming down the pipe in the next few months. To be honest, I've been waiting for a good JRPG to sink my teeth into for quite some time, and the guys at Level-5 have yet to really disappoint me. Curious and skeptic at the same time.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#17  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Jeust said:

I haven't tried the game, but from the video i've seen, the combat system seems to complicated. Also despite the all White Knight mecha, seems a standard fare jrpg. That said, there are probably better rpgs to play than this one, at full price.  Have you tried The Witcher, Valkyrie Chronicles, the Shin Megami Tensei games - Persona, Digital Devil, Devil Summoner, Nocturne -, Rogue Galaxy, The Last Remnant, Disgaea...?   "

I've tried all those games sir. Of course, saying any of these RPGs is better is a purely subjective statement; I'd easily place Persona up above White Knight Chronicles, but it doesn't mean WKC isn't worth playing at full price. Besides, the battle system isn't complicated at all. Just select an attack and wait for the circle to fill. If you look at the UI for any of those games you listed, they look just as daunting (if not, more) as WKC.

@vidiot said:

" Oh yeah, this game comes out tomorrow :P  If I were you, I would do what I'm doing: Wait for reviews and deduct a general consensus. There seems to be a bunch of new content added to this release, given the long time frame it took to have this thing released overseas.  It feels like there is an uncountable amount of releases coming down the pipe in the next few months. To be honest, I've been waiting for a good JRPG to sink my teeth into for quite some time, and the guys at Level-5 have yet to really disappoint me. Curious and skeptic at the same time. "

They didn't really do much to the overseas release aside from adding trophies, a couple of Home rewards and English voiceovers and text. There are no new items, but all the updates Japan had since the game's release (which included a 1GB patch) are included on the disc.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By vidiot
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    @vidiot said:

" Oh yeah, this game comes out tomorrow :P  If I were you, I would do what I'm doing: Wait for reviews and deduct a general consensus. There seems to be a bunch of new content added to this release, given the long time frame it took to have this thing released overseas.  It feels like there is an uncountable amount of releases coming down the pipe in the next few months. To be honest, I've been waiting for a good JRPG to sink my teeth into for quite some time, and the guys at Level-5 have yet to really disappoint me. Curious and skeptic at the same time. "

They didn't really do much to the overseas release aside from adding trophies, a couple of Home rewards and English voiceovers and text. There are no new items, but all the updates Japan had since the game's release (which included a 1GB patch) are included on the disc. "
    Those online updates better be awesome. (1GB sounds like a big update.) That's a mighty unnecessarily long localization time. :/
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By essaregee

For some reason the online reminds me of Perfect World (some korean MMO). 
    IDK anymore if I want it :P I will wait for some reviews.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust
    @Sleepy_Insomniac:  

I'm not saying that it's a bad game, or worse than those i've talked about. What i'm saying is you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere, and get it when it's cheaper. There are a lot of good (j)rpgs begging to be played.   

I've seen this videoclip, and it looked pretty complicated... But having taken the time, i think that what comes from the video is the boredom of the speech, than from the gameplay mechanics. They don't look simple but standard fare.  

It looks pretty standard, and at high price, you could get more from other games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.