WiiU Box Art Confirmed

• 62 results
#1 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

What are your thoughts on Nintendo's new box art for Wii U?.

I'm not keen, I think these Gamecube style tops encroach upon the artwork too much because of the colour changes - the black seen on GC titles made them far more palatable. I think the slight band of yellow alongside the blue looks feminine, it almost implies a casual Wii game. I can also see the yellow clashing with some box art.

“Nintendo has finalized the design of the Wii U game box art, and many of our publishing partners have already incorporated it into their own game packaging. We are seeing those game packages online as retailers are starting to showcase their games. For details about a specific game’s artwork, please contact the game’s publisher. Nintendo-published game boxes will appear shortly with placeholder logos, and then ultimately with the final artwork for each game.” - Nintendo representative
#2 Posted by MAGZine (437 posts) -

Looks good. Nice, sharp, bright colours. Shows that they're trying to reach beyond the basic/simple blue-on-white.

The actual band itself occupies only a bit of the gamebox, and does not really interfere with the art. I think you're "reading into it" too much if you think the yellow is overly feminine.

#3 Posted by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

Looks okay. I'd like it a lot more if the yellow line wasn't there.

#4 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

I also think it would look fine without.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

It looks fine, now what will the case color be? White again? I hope not

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24715 posts) -

It looks fine to me. I'm curious what the actual case is going to look like and what color it'll be.

#7 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -

Black or white would be ideal but I'm okay with this.

#8 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

I hope not too, that old combo feels too clinical and void of personality. Some retailer promo gear suggests it will be deep blue. It could be hard to distinguish original Wii games from WiiU games, from the spine, otherwise.

#9 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Nightriff said:

I hope not too, that old combo feels too clinical and void of personality. Some retailer promo gear suggests it will be deep blue. It could be hard to distinguish original Wii games from WiiU games, from the spine, otherwise.

Deep Blue might be pretty cool but it could be the powder blue that the top of the box art is, just not white and I'm cool with it

#10 Posted by supermonkey122 (817 posts) -

It dosen't bother me. It's not like I'm gonna be looking at it that much.

#11 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

It looks very reminiscent of GameCube box art.

Super Mario Sunshine - Mario - Cover Art
#12 Edited by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

Light blue has been confirmed for box color:

#13 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -

BLUE BOXES

#14 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

I can't say I'm really a fan, but it's also not the kind of thing that bothers me.

#15 Posted by flushpockets (85 posts) -

Its different. I dig it. I'm actually kinda shocked its so different from the Wii boxes. I expected it to say similar, much like the 3DS did to the DS boxes. Also, if a yellow outline is feminine, what does that make the purple "better with kinect" strip on the Xbox boxes?

#16 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -
#17 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition Box Art

#18 Posted by xyzygy (9982 posts) -

I fucking love it. Reminds me of the Gamecube, which is a good thing. I love the approach to gaming Nintendo took during that era.

And that Arkham City boxart is badass.

#19 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -
#20 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I think my eyes are weird then, that looks like lime green to me.

#21 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

Terrible. I think black is the only decent colour for this kind of stuff. Anything else is too difficult to ignore.

Baby Blue is even worse than white though. It makes it look toyish, despite the fact that the cover depicts a man forcibly holding another man to the ground by his throat, while holding an axe he's about to sink into his skull.

#22 Posted by Mr_Misery (258 posts) -

This is the dumbest thing to get excited about.

#23 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Ugh, that Batman Box art is putrid but the Football box art is just god damn hilarious.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24715 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz

Ugh, that Batman Box art is putrid but the Football box art is just god damn hilarious.

The Batman box art looks fine.
#25 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

Every time I look at a WiiU box the first thing that pops into my head is that it is wearing an Eric Cartman hat. Every damn time.

#26 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@gumdealer said:

Every time I look at a WiiU box the first thing that pops into my head is that it is wearing an Eric Cartman hat. Every damn time.

Whelp. Can't unsee that now.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Whatever. It looks like it'll be a sleeve thing instead of a box, but I'm certain that's not the case.

#28 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

Case looks to the same blue as the cover art?

#29 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

Looks fine to me. I think I may even kind of like it.

#30 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@SathingtonWaltz

The Batman box art looks fine.

Oh... now that you mention it I guess I was wrong.

#31 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I think my eyes are weird then, that looks like lime green to me.

It's definitely yellow.

The colour combination also reminds me of Chelsea FC. I f-ing hate that.

#32 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

It's definitely yellow.

The colour combination also reminds me of Chelsea FC. I f-ing hate that.

Oh yes, I know it is yellow.

#33 Posted by Fistoh (119 posts) -

I actually think it looks pretty cool.

#35 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -
@Zacagawea said:

Agreed.
#36 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -
@gumdealer said:

Oh no.
#37 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

If the cases themselves were white I might see your point, but I actually think that colour combo looks quite nice. It's certainly no worse than the 360's white on putrid, translucent lime-green.

#38 Edited by glyn (382 posts) -

News just in, the gameboy box art has been released.

#39 Posted by Thoseposers (784 posts) -

@mandude said:

@gumdealer said:

fuck

#40 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Thoseposers said:

@mandude said:

@gumdealer said:

fuck

Yup, totally ruined.

#41 Posted by Brendan (7805 posts) -

I think it looks fine. The colour scheme will be very noticeable on shelves so that's good for Nintendo.

#42 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Yellow and blue look feminine. God.

Feminine, which can mean casual.

Casual is bad, feminine is bad.

Fuck you are the worst of everything.

#43 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Thoseposers said:

@mandude said:

@gumdealer said:

fuck

Oh, by the way, here you guys go. New-new WiiU box art just confirmed by my unproductive ass:

It's gonna be soooo sweet, you guys.
#44 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Thoseposers said:

@mandude said:

@gumdealer said:

fuck

Oh, by the way, here you guys go. New-new WiiU box art just confirmed by my unproductive ass:

It's gonna be soooo sweet, you guys.

Damn you, I was just doing this.

#45 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Ikea presents: Nintendo Wii U

#46 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

I this it works, and I think the yellow line really works as well at giving it depth. It acts like a pattern would but without removing the cleanliness of the overall design.

When you look at it from the kinds of angle and size you would likely see it in a store then I think the ywllo like really helps; it adds a sort of marker splitting the design from the artwork to make it feel like it isn't encrocking onto it, and I think it really helps making the title of the game stand out pushing the main box design as a secondary focus. The blue is also recognizable being more eye-catching and interesting that PS3 boxes while being softer and less jarring than xbox boxes. The only thing I will say is that I doubt it would work well on much darker covered games (although I still think it will work better than xbox boxes for them) and may make some art pallets look dull or jarring (such as reds or grey/blues).

Also, in this case it makes Ubisofts logo look especially bland but overall I think it is pretty good.

#47 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@glyn said:

News just in, the gameboy box art has been released.

A grocery store near me has a battery display, and the sign above it has all sorts of ancient electronics, including an old, fat-style Gameboy. It's a pretty crappy grocery store...

#48 Edited by Shaka999 (475 posts) -

Two things- I think it looks alright. It's not the best... "header" (if you will), but it could be way worse.

Also, what the hell is the Nintendo Network on the Assassin's Creed box? Was that previously announced and I just missed it, or...?

#49 Posted by VincentVendetta (250 posts) -

@gumdealer said:

Nintendo wants you to respect its autoritah.

#50 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

Please someone create a crazy face reggie- meme

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.