Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Can a gamecube controller work on newer black wiis

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By Lazyaza

So we got a new wii this christmas, in particular the latest black model that from what I understand was redesigned from the original somewhat.

My question is, I bought a gamecube style controller for this Wii, one released under the Hive label of third party accessories and it claims to be compatible with both the wii and gamecube. Now my problem is their are no gamecube controller ports on these newer models of the Wii. Am I totally fucked here and doomed to never be able to use anything but the wiimote or is their a specific adapter I can get?

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

The latest Wii is not Gamecube compatible.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I imagine it would be, since there are quite a few Wii games that still use GameCube controllers.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

You'll probably have to get the Classic Controller Pro or the Classic Controller.

Edit

But yeah, like everyone is saying no Gamecube games. But the Classic Controller will work with some Wii games and games from the Virtual Console.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

If your Wii has no Gamecube ports or Memory Card slots, it is not compatible with Gamecube games. Period.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

Yeah no GC support at all. My sis was dumb enough to get one of those black ones as well even though I told her not to. 

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#7  Edited By Lazyaza

Yeah I'm not trying to play gamecube games specifically, I simply wanted to use the gamecube styled controller I got instead of the nintendo classic controller for the games that support it as I would rather not use the wiimote when possible. So without those gamcube controller ports what I bought is essentially useless, would have been nice to know beforehand but oh well price I pay for not reading up on it. Thanks guys.

Also fuck nintendo.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By mariokart64fan

we got a blue one that is just like that but to my relief i have 3 gcs and 4 bc wiis

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By manicraider

Darn it. I was wondering the same thing. But it's not like the Wii Remote is so horrible, is it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.