FFCC: The Crystal Bearers Site Opened
The Crystal Bearers is a single player JRPG from Square-Enix. It throws out a lot of what you know about Crystal Chronicles (except for the setting) and to me represents an exciting new direction both for Square-Enix and the Final Fantasy and Crystal Chronicles franchises.
The only downside is we just know so damn little about it. Updated information and newer media can be found in this newer thread.
The following e-mail Square-Enix Europe has sent out explains a few things about the game's setting and, among other things, calls it an "open-world gameplay" title. Coupled with some of the videos seen below, it indicates Square-Enix's first sandbox JRPG effort. Even if this is a false assumption, the game's certainly unique by Square-Enix standards. It also hopefully hints at a sooner-than-we-anticipate release date.
TRAILERS - Proper videos showing the game's world, characters, gameplay and overall style. Watch these first.
First teaser from May 2007
First trailer from the Japanese version of the DS FFCC: Echoes of Time
TEASERS - A collection of mini video clips from the official website. Don't take them too seriously.
It's gonna be a long night.
Ahead of the pack.
Don't touch that dial.
Delusions of grandeur.
Too many thrills.
Bite the hand that feeds you.
In the nick of time.
That's pretty much it for this thread, move along.
OMG CRYSTAL CHRONICLES SUX HAX LOL!
It doesn't have much in common with past CC games anyway, anyone who judges it just because he disliked those is being silly. The brand name has expanded so much with games like My Life as a King and this one it's too broad to just judge everything out of a single game or two. This just looks so fun Square has my interest even though I've not cared much for the main FF games in recent times.
"It doesn't have much in common with past CC games anyway, anyone who judges it just because he disliked those is being silly. The brand name has expanded so much with games like My Life as a King and this one it's too broad to just judge everything out of a single game or two. This just looks so fun Square has my interest even though I've not cared much for the main FF games in recent times."Was I honestly not clear enough with my sarcasm? I DID enjoy the other crystal chronicles games, so i'm not "judging it just because he disliked those". While it does look like it will be a bit different, i think it will still appeal to those who enjoyed the others on Gamecube, Wii, and DS.
"Am I the only one hyped for this game? Seriously? Whyyyyyyy?I updated the first post to be more informative for newcomers."
The first Crystal Chronicle game was pretty good. However, I have found Square Enix's recent track record with the Final Fantasy Series to be pretty poor for me. It is the same reason why I am not buying another game console just to buy Final Fantasy 13.
Am I the only one here hyped for this game? Seriously? Why?Final Fantasy spin-offs = Insta-lame. But feel free to convince me - I have no idea about this game whatsoever. I read one review, which was pretty bad, but you know how it is with Wii reviews, I don't even know myself why I keep refering to them. So yeah. Why should I be hyped for this game?
"Nice. I came to post these.I think the frame-rate in the Chocobo video looks pretty locked down. Earlier videos have seemed framey to me, I don't understand why SE would release videos like that. Anyway, when the games done it should look fine."Some of the videos have lower fps here than on the official website. Others do have a few issues there too. I'm sure it won't be a big problem.
Final Fantasy spin-offs = Insta-lame. But feel free to convince me - I have no idea about this game whatsoever. I read one review, which was pretty bad, but you know how it is with Wii reviews, I don't even know myself why I keep refering to them. So yeah. Why should I be hyped for this game? "You read a review? The game is not released anywhere yet, and won't be for a while. Are you confusing it with Echoes of Time or something? If you want hype, Just watch the first two videos (or just the second) and consider a) it's an open world game, b) it has an action based, gravity based combat system, c) it has a proper scale overworld, d) it has Skies of Arcadia-esque airships, e) the main character is a super hero and not an emo kid. That alone pretty much puts it above any FF game, spin off or otherwise, heh. In all seriousness, it's Square's freshest game in ages, it looks good and it was announced FOUR years ago so t's not a quick cash in spin-off project like Echoes of Time or some of their other titles.
1. I think I actually did confuse it with echoes of time. Alright.
2. Hum, not the biggest fan of action RPGs. What are the controls like?
3. I don't like proper scaled overworlds. : /
4. I didn't like Skies of Arcadia that much. : /
5. jRPGs with "emo kid" main characters are the best.
6. What is there to expect, story-wise?
1. Lol. It has nothing to do with CC other than the overall setting, though it's even set far into the future so that's also changed since the last CC.
2. I have no clue, the combat seems to be pointer based so I'll assume nunchuck + remote as usual.
4. OMG! Still, the airships were cool, no? Airships that look like ships are always cool.
6. I have no clue. The dude is a super hero. He'll fight super villains and save the world from some uber overlord as usual?
6.3. Watch the two proper trailers @ the top of the page.
1. I don't think anyone that isn't into the series can tell the iterations apart. Pretty bad marketing if you ask me. : /
3. Yeah. Classical world map + nicely crafted levels/dungeons ftw. Open world / full-scale equals generator-based, lifeless crap thats big, but uninteresting and repetetive.
4. Can't say that I spent much time with the aircrafts. The whole game left me throroughly unimpressed.
5. I'm serious. Character and character design by default are completely irrelevant to me, but so far, the games with the spikey-haired "emo kids" sported the better writing and storytelling. There's nothing more boring than a "super hero" main character. : /
6. Too bad. The story should be the meat of every RPG, action or not. The voice acting in the trailers seems pretty bad.
6.2. Oh, how unfortunate. Action RPG battles would've been nice with online MP.
6.3. I did. I'm not convinced. : /
1. It only takes looking @ one video to see the difference. It's as different from standard CC as My Life as a King was, if not more.
2. Pointer rules, dood.
3. Sure, if we're talking about Bethesda. Square isn't Bethesda.
4. Too bad. At least you saw them in the intro. Good stuff.
5. How many super heroes have you even played in a JRPG? It's certainly a twist from the usual "weakling that grows into super awesome'"story the emo kids grow through, and it likely has just as much "growth" for the character as a person since, hell, it's what Square does.
6. Voice acting in the trailers seem the same as in any Square game. Surely it'll be dubbed in the English release so it's of no consequence to you, right? The dialogue hints to the same type of epic plot as they usually make, it's not like changing elements around for a fresher feel is bad.
6.2. Play Echoes of Time and/or wait for Monster Hunter 3. This game's about single player fun and the plot as is the FF franchise's trademark.
6.3. Shame, that stuff is sweet.
1. People don't look at videos of the titles don't make clear what they will be looking at. Marketing, dood.
2. Yeah, but action-packed combat can use some neat gesture-work.
3. Final Fantasy XII.
4. Maybe I'm being unfair about the game. I played it in the height of my FF phase.
5. Not so many super heros, but characters that were despicably positive and charming. I'll take Squall over Zidane every day.
6. Yeah, we'll see.
6.2. Does Echoes of Time have Online-MP? Do you have it. Monster Hunter 3 will have multiplayer monster-killing? Hur?
6.3. I kinda see it, but it doesn't seem to be my type.
Anyways, the game is now more present on my radar.
As long as it's intuitive. Oh and this guy doesn't look overly positive at all. A schmuck that is a bit too full of himself so he probably grows into a decent person in the duration of the game. Similar to the emos, but different too.
And yes, Echoes of Time has online MP, but I don't have it, and Monster Hunter 3 will have online MP, where have you been :P
and Monster Hunter 3 will have online MP, where have you beenPlaying video games. I rarely care for sequels. Especially not sequels whose predecessors I didn't play. And sequels whose predecessors I didn't play that have a stupid name? Excuse me for not being up-to-date. What's Monster Hunter 3 about, then? I thought it was a SP action-RPG with monster.. hunting..?
Gawd doooooooooooood. Lol. Imagine Monster Hunter like a hardcore to the core Phantasy Star Online. You own monsters, use their parts to make new armor and weapons, then own bigger monsters. But the PSO comparison isn't too accurate because Monster Hunter is more about actual skill based gameplay and having the right strategy for the monster you're hunting than just level grinding with simplistic combat, which is probably why it's not as popular as PSO was in the West. Co-op is its meat of the experience, the franchise started with online co-op on PS2 but became most popular with offline co-op on the PSP. For the Wii it has both with 2 player split screen co-op and online co-op (not specified how many, probably four). It's not so much about the story so missing past entries doesn't matter whatsoever, each new entry simply comes packed with more gameplay, more monsters, more features, much like the PSO games. The Wii entry brings with it more new additions and tweaks than any other MH before it, mainly underwater combat, use of torches in dark areas, a better ecosystem, tweaks to the combat and stamina systems, and other such stuff, while also taking place on a brand-new huge island. Watch the trailer then some gameplay videos from TGS.
Meh, I just look forward to whatever's good on any platform I own. If it was coming to PC, I'd look forward to it all the same. I don't restrct my platforms to genres. Usually the developers do that, but there are exceptions and if they're good I get them. I'm sure the Wii will become an RPG system much like the DS did. Dragon Quest X alone will help that, but we already have a few more to look forward to like The Crystal Bearers, Arc Rise Fantasia and Tales of Graces. I'm not gonna include MH among them considering the different focus, it's more of an online co-op action game with some (well, many) RPG mechanics and stats to me.
Anyway, I haven't played a MH game before, I was going to buy a PSP title (played a bit of it from a friend) but now I'm waiting for MH3, it's getting released this summer in Japan. So I'm not sure how co-op exactly interfaces but yes, it's most probable that you can hunt most if not all of the monsters with friends. I don't know about the storyline, it's not what I look forward to the game for, it might as well not have any at all for all I care. I never cared for the PSO story either. I just wanna be a hunter with a huge ass gunlance and own giant dragons.
But this thread's really about The Crystal Bearers :S
Well there's already a thread with the other media, thread merge would be nice but I won't duplicate content of another thread here. I think it's a nice separation, this has all the old media and the teaser updates, and the other thread anything that came after those.
Though I should probably fix the first post there to include all of them for people who can't bother scrolling, like I've done here.
This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.