Virtual console/Wii Shop transfer to Wii U?

#1 Edited by PKHilson (205 posts) -

Here's a question I have: Will there be any way to transfer "ownership" of all those NES and SNES virtual console games I bought for the Wii?  

Like maybe a one time serial number console-to-console transfer so all purchased games on the Wii can be re-downloaded for the Wii U. 

I honestly spent over $300 on virtual console old school games and it's made selling my Wii fror $30-$50 unjustifiable...

#2 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

Nintendo hasn't made any announcement on that front. Though, given that it's (now) possible to transfer DSi purchases to a 3DS, I imagine that Nintendo is working on some sort of solution that would allow data transfer from a Wii to a Wii U. But then, I'm only guessing.

#3 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

Nice, I wasn't aware they had a process for transferring DSi to 3DS (not much into handhelds). Thanks for the info. Here's hoping they figure something out!

#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

It would be cool if it were the last time I had to use a friend code. Transfer complete.

#5 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

That could be an easy way to transfer ownership since every Wii has a unique code right? They could have the transfer verified through their online service or something.

#6 Posted by Sikboy1029 (82 posts) -

Old post but very relevant now. Hope to hear something tomorrow, this alone will help me decide if I pick up the console early or wait on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.