Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii Update Problems

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By rjayb89

For the past day or so I've been trying to update my niece's Wii because I got her Kirby's Epic Yarn for Christmas. And yes, it's not even Christmas but hey, I really want to play it, too. The problem is is that the Wii requires an update before we can even play it. I've tried: 

• Unplugging the router 
    • Setting the wireless router to channels 1, then 11, then 1 again (from default channel 6) 
    • Tried updating through the Wii settings, through the game disc (which comes up with a prompt that says it'll use the Internet, blah, blah), and even through the Wii Shop Channel (which comes up with the same prompt essentially making it impossible for my niece to buy anything else with her Wii points)  
    • Turning off and unplugging the Wii after completing each of the above  

The last time I tried to see if it'll complete over time it was set on channel 11, it's within 10 feet of the wireless router it's trying to download stuff from, no disc inside, and 12 hours (left on overnight) of waiting time.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not format the Wii's memory since I don't have an SD card handy and I don't trust how the Wii handles that kind of stuff since there are a few downloadable games on it.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rjayb89

For the past day or so I've been trying to update my niece's Wii because I got her Kirby's Epic Yarn for Christmas. And yes, it's not even Christmas but hey, I really want to play it, too. The problem is is that the Wii requires an update before we can even play it. I've tried: 

• Unplugging the router 
    • Setting the wireless router to channels 1, then 11, then 1 again (from default channel 6) 
    • Tried updating through the Wii settings, through the game disc (which comes up with a prompt that says it'll use the Internet, blah, blah), and even through the Wii Shop Channel (which comes up with the same prompt essentially making it impossible for my niece to buy anything else with her Wii points)  
    • Turning off and unplugging the Wii after completing each of the above  

The last time I tried to see if it'll complete over time it was set on channel 11, it's within 10 feet of the wireless router it's trying to download stuff from, no disc inside, and 12 hours (left on overnight) of waiting time.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not format the Wii's memory since I don't have an SD card handy and I don't trust how the Wii handles that kind of stuff since there are a few downloadable games on it.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

Try deleting all the internet connections. Then re-enter all the connections again. Usually this happens if you change any of your wireless settings.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Doesn't the game come with the update right on the disk?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Doesn't the game come with the update right on the disk? "
    Required updates are usually put on Nintendo's first-party titles.  An internet connection shouldn't be required.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By apathylad

It should update with the firmware that's on the disc. It has with previous Nintendo games I've bought.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rjayb89
    @ch13696: Thank you for the suggestion, but no dice. 

I cleared all connection settings, re-entered router information, tried to update it, took a shower, and it was still at the same place the progress bar has been.  Two centimeters from the left. 

@JJOR64: @Hailinel: @Apathylad: I am now trying this out.  I'm sure I've done this before but forgot to mention it, but the progress bar is slightly more full than it has been (2 cm) that my niece even noticed.  Since (I don't think) it prompted me it was going to require an Internet connection, maybe it'll be fine if I give it time (which I am).
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rjayb89

It just ain't happening.  It just ain't... happening.

If I have to resort to using an SD memory card then I will.  If I have to reformat my Wii for Kirby then I shall.  Not anytime soon though.  =(

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I had a similar problem and fixed it by changing the DNS number to an open one.  Try looking up OpenDNS for those numbers and then entering those in when you set up your network settings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.