Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Who else has never played WOW?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Seppli

MMOs are a fully fleshed out hobby, such as being part of a sports team. Raiding or doing PvP 2-3 evenings of the week, just like going to a training and a beer afterwards, is the sensible way to play the game. Many end up logging in way too often and long though, at least  at some point in time. Anyways, the best time to be had in an MMO, are the first few months after a new big content cycle hits (the release of the game or an addon). During that phase, MMOs are actually quite a lot of fun. The sense of exploration and progression is something to behold. Playing an MMO excessively every now and then has its charm and isn't too harmful.

It's about knowing, when to stop. The inevitable grind turns the relationship to any MMO into a work relationship after a while. It isn't that much fun anymore, but you don't stop playing, because you have invested so much effort and time into the game. Also, the longer you play an MMO, the harder it gets to leave the folks behind, you played with for that long. I believe, every gamer will end up being obsessed with an MMO at some time. As the technology progresses, more genres will become viable to be designed as an MMO. There's just something about playing in a bigger pond. More fish to fry.

Still, the MMO scale is limiting 'twitch-style' gameplay at the moment and thus MMOs are limited in appeal. I'd say MMOs are a decade behind in terms of 'twitch-style' gameplay. They just can't do, what smaller scale online multiplayer games can do and won't for the foreseeable future. Still, I'd say every avid gamer should try playing an MMO. Just budget, how much time you want to sink into it. Set a date, at which you will stop to play the game and let nature take its course 'til then. Call it quits, no matter how hard you  want to play on. You got to play an MMO on your terms, and that's that.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#152  Edited By angelfan91

The only MMO I've ever played was Runescape.  But I might be interested in playing the Old Republic when it comes out.  That means a new computer.   :(

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#153  Edited By buzz_clik

*raising hand* Never played a second of it, and barely even watched footage of it being played.

Last time I did anything approaching an MMO experience was playing a MUD in some computer labs in 1996.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#154  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @BiG_Weasel said:
    " WoW is the devil. I dumped 3 years into that game, but don't miss it now that I quit. I've tried just about every MMO out there, and outside of Warhammer Online, I haven't found one that did *everything* I wanted it to do. And as a general rule, if you get sucked into an MMO, you won't play many other games. The Grind will become the only thing you're concerned with.

As far as the monthly fees, the same people who say they won't 'pay to play', are the same ones paying $5/month for a simple matchmaking service on Live (whereas mosts MMO fees go toward server maintenance, downloadable content, etc- you know, worthwhile stuff).  $15/month with the promise of DLC valued at least that much makes an MMO fee worth it to me. Paying 1/3 of that just to have matchmaking and voice chat (both of which PC's been doing for free for years) seems like extortion.
    "
    On point...

I played wow for 2 years... 1st Xpac killed it for me. WoW does kill your social life and i hate it for it
    BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#155  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

Never played it, with the exception of Final Fantasy and Fallout not much of an RPG guy, the world it's set in isn't my thing either (elves, dwarfs, trolls etc) for the record i'm not an MMO hater can't wait for Old Republic as I do like most things Star Wars.

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Lard

I've never touched it.

No interest at all.

Avatar image for conkerandberri2
    ConkerAndBerri2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By ConkerAndBerri2
    @JudgeDread said:
    " stay awaydo not even look at itjust walk awayyou will be thankful in the end "
    yep, do exactly this i went through the whole addiction phase, luckily it wasnt for too long, got to about level 50, then gave up, trust me its nothing special.
    jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158  Edited By jlaudio7

I probably will never play it. The last MMORPG I played was FFXI back in 2005. since then I've been avoiding MMO's like the plague.

Zarile3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Zarile3

Nope, never touched it. But I am drinking a bottle of Mountain Dew gamer fuel, with some chick from WOW on it. It's pretty tasty stuff.

Avatar image for king_of_destiny
    king_of_destiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By king_of_destiny

Never!

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#161  Edited By Lashe

Nada.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#162  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm sure there are lots of gamers out there who have never played WoW. I personally loved my time on the game and while I did think the subscription fees were rather costly I found it an all-round very well made game. I find a lot of the complaints about the game come from people who claim it lacks originality in comparison to other modern MMOs but the matter of the fact seems to be that a lot of modern MMORPGs do in one way or another take influence from WoW.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#163  Edited By fugie7

i never played i don't want my soul to be taken by the game.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#164  Edited By AgentJ

I know i would lost all semblence of a life if I started playing it (not to mention the fees) so i've actively avoided becoming involved. I even have two months free from PAX last year that i havent used. 

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By maxszy
    @AgentJ said:
    " I know i would lost all semblence of a life if I started playing it (not to mention the fees) so i've actively avoided becoming involved. I even have two months free from PAX last year that i havent used.  "
    Two free months and you still haven't? Man that's some good willpower! A good thing you haven't though, as it does suck away one's life :-P

I myself, have succumbed to WoW. I played for a year and a half at launch back 2004 or whenever it came out. (I think it was '04. Man, seems like yesterday.) Then I played last spring and summer some before WotlK came out. But I quit about a week before wrath and haven't gone back. I'm done with WoW now. The time I spent was good.

Those who complain about the subscription fees I think are a bit off base. From my experience, If I was playing WoW I was not playing nearly as many (or no others maybe :-P) other games and thus overall was actually spending less on gaming as a whole. Especially since one game at retail price now is the cost of 4 months of WoW. So if you buy more than 3 games a year (i'd assume most of us do, perhaps not all at retail price) then WoW may actually cause you to spend less. Though I am not arguing for anyone to get involved because of that, it does suck way too much time out of your life!
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#166  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i never did and it makes me sad inside

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#167  Edited By AgentJ
    @Maxszy said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " I know i would lost all semblence of a life if I started playing it (not to mention the fees) so i've actively avoided becoming involved. I even have two months free from PAX last year that i havent used.  "
    Two free months and you still haven't? Man that's some good willpower! A good thing you haven't though, as it does suck away one's life :-PI myself, have succumbed to WoW. I played for a year and a half at launch back 2004 or whenever it came out. (I think it was '04. Man, seems like yesterday.) Then I played last spring and summer some before WotlK came out. But I quit about a week before wrath and haven't gone back. I'm done with WoW now. The time I spent was good.Those who complain about the subscription fees I think are a bit off base. From my experience, If I was playing WoW I was not playing nearly as many (or no others maybe :-P) other games and thus overall was actually spending less on gaming as a whole. Especially since one game at retail price now is the cost of 4 months of WoW. So if you buy more than 3 games a year (i'd assume most of us do, perhaps not all at retail price) then WoW may actually cause you to spend less. Though I am not arguing for anyone to get involved because of that, it does suck way too much time out of your life! "
    Yeah it'd be cheaper than buying a lot of other games, but the thing is i want to play those games. I want to play (and hopefully finish) as many games as possible. See how WoW would be a problem?
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By maxszy
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @Maxszy said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    Two free months and you still haven't? Man that's some good willpower! A good thing you haven't though, as it does suck away one's life :-PI myself, have succumbed to WoW. I played for a year and a half at launch back 2004 or whenever it came out. (I think it was '04. Man, seems like yesterday.) Then I played last spring and summer some before WotlK came out. But I quit about a week before wrath and haven't gone back. I'm done with WoW now. The time I spent was good.Those who complain about the subscription fees I think are a bit off base. From my experience, If I was playing WoW I was not playing nearly as many (or no others maybe :-P) other games and thus overall was actually spending less on gaming as a whole. Especially since one game at retail price now is the cost of 4 months of WoW. So if you buy more than 3 games a year (i'd assume most of us do, perhaps not all at retail price) then WoW may actually cause you to spend less. Though I am not arguing for anyone to get involved because of that, it does suck way too much time out of your life! "
    Yeah it'd be cheaper than buying a lot of other games, but the thing is i want to play those games. I want to play (and hopefully finish) as many games as possible. See how WoW would be a problem?
    "
    Yes, WoW would pose quite an issue in that regard. :-P
    ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By ahriman22

Played it for an hour and got sick of it due to being boring.

Shermanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Shermanator

Never played it, but the knights of the old republic might get me into an mmo.  

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#171  Edited By borgmaster

I tried the EVE free trial, I guess WoW wouldn't be too far of a leap form there. *shrugs*

though there is a distinct possibility that I'll be playing ToR and the star trek MMO concurrently, so I'll refrain from the trash talk.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#172  Edited By zyn

I played it for a year.  Started around March, after BC was recently released.  Ended around January 2009.  Was okay.  I couldn't play it forever though.

Most of my friends who started WoW (around the time I started) have stopped playing.  So it's in no way "addictive".  If you feel this way, it's YOUR problem.

If you're looking to play it, play the trial (duh, pretty obvious right?).  Don't feel that you should dedicate it 90% of your life around it, it's a game after all.

Also, Bananas are awesome.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#173  Edited By sjschmidt93

Just play it. I don't like it anymore, but that's because I've played it for 4 years, if you start now you should at least enjoy for about... 4 years.

My next stop on the MMO train: Aion.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#174  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @SoothsayerGB:  Yeah.. Halo and CoD aren't MMO's..
    KuroXai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By KuroXai

I've never played WoW and I don't see a reason to pay $15 a month just to play one game. I don't want to be consumed by a game.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Siris

World of Warcraft, at its core gameplay mechanics is a watered down RPG at best. The game is not really that fun or engaging and the only reason people still play it, is because of millions of other people playing it. The game is an infinite grind to get the best gear and involves hardly any skill at all. If you want a game that is constantly engaging your creativity and thinking capacities.. try something else.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#177  Edited By spankingaddict

i played it for about 15 minutes and never touched it again.  boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By wibby

Not my bag at all. I even thought of getting the free trial but even on a 20mb line it was going to take 16 hours....

You would think with all the money they make they would invest a little in potential new customers... feck em!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By CL60
    @SoothsayerGB said:
    " Never played WoW.  But  Isn't Halo a MMO? Isn't wow and Mmo-RPG?  WEird I always thought their was a difference. 

Leroy Jenkins?  LoL  Thats where that came from!  I have never seen the original before.  Thats crazy!  I always thought that started somewhere in Halo 2. 

Anyway, I only play MMOs like CoD 4, Halo 3, Left4dead, and Killzone 2.  You know FPS MMOs.  I found this yesterday on Youtube.  Kinda funny, that they get into it so much.  RIgt?  LOL!!!  They need to buy a 360!  That 11 million players has got to be crap.

"
    LOL
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#180  Edited By Illmatic

I played it for a few hours logged off and never could muster any interest to log back on.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Venatio

I tried it once and it made me bored as hell, I just dont like MMO games I suppose but Im hoping that The Old Republic will change my mind

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#182  Edited By BigBoss1911

This shit is bananas

No Caption Provided

Also I played WOW for 15 minutes until I stopped.I had not a clue what was going on.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#183  Edited By galiant

You really should give it a try if you can still get that free trial, I had an awesome time playing it for three (four?) years.

I stopped playing a few months ago because I really didn't have time to play it every day, and I felt bad about that monthly fee when I couldn't play it as much as I liked.

I still miss playing it sometimes. It's a good game!

wibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By wibby

NEVER

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By guiseppe

I've spent about 3 years of constant WoW-playing and it is without a doubt the best multiplayer experience I've ever had. The dedication, skill, teamwork and coordination it takes to play at the high end level of the game is what it's all about and it's painfully fun while you do it. Well it was to me at least :). I haven't played it seriously for about a year now, mostly because I have no interest in going back in to that world. I know it'll be the same as every other time I log in. I log in, remember why I stopped playing and I log out again. With that said, I wish I could forget everything I knew about the game and start playing again, because that first period of time with the game was AWESOME!

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#186  Edited By gingertastic_10

I have never even seen it played.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By CharlieTuna

Tried the trial for 3 days, one of the worst games I've played. Got to level 10 and just stopped, I gave it more then a fair a chance and was left flabbergasted at how anyone could play this game. Go here kill 5 of these, take this to that guy, go there kill 10 of these, get x amount of wild boar meat bla bla bla. Grind grind grind, they took the least fun aspect of RPGs and made a game out of it.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#188  Edited By Colin

I've never played it although my ex-girlfriend played it tons and tried to get me into it, I don't think it's the game for me although I do like mmo's...

O well maybe one day if it was cheaper. :P

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#189  Edited By buzz_clik

*raising hand* No interest, thank you.

TyphoonSwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By TyphoonSwell

I've never played it. Too intimidating.....

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @bwooduhs said:
    " I've never played it. "
    And I never will.
    NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By NintenDood

I don't want to play it, too many other games to play.

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Tharrington

I"ve never played.  A bunch of my friends do, they tell me I should play, but I just don't get where the fun and joy of paying money to run around and click on stuff a bunch comes from.  That probably sounds like a terrible reason but I don't know how to put it into better words.

Also I'm already paying enough for LIVE.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Sick_J0ke

I've never played an MMORPG before but today I was getting something at Target and saw Oblivion GOTY edition on sale... I walked away from it as quickly as possible to avoid having my social life taken from me. 

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By krystians

I too am afraid to play that game. My social life depends on it!

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#196  Edited By spazmaster666

MMOs aren't my cup of tea. I do like RPGs but I never saw the attraction of weekly raids or PVP matches. Not to mention I couldn't picture myself playing one game for so long. I mean I played Oblivion for over 300 hours combined and I thought THAT was a damn long time.

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Bald3rdash

Me, me!  I've never played WoW!

Don't nobody look at my achievements...

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Bald3rdash said:
    "Don't nobody look at my achievements... "
    I looked. Sorry. =(
    Qbsbb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Qbsbb9
    @JJWeatherman:
    never played not into mythical creatures, more of a military game player myself
    Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#200  Edited By Butchio

me, not paying for a game, then payiin a monthly subscription for that game, not happenin

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.