Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Who else has never played WOW?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By BigBoss1911

I played the trial for 2 minutes and it sucked.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Binman88

Never played it and never will.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#53  Edited By JJWeatherman
    suneku said:
    "wow this is a lot more people that haven't played wow then I thought.
    "
    Tell me about it. I didn't expect to get sll these responses. Good to hear what some of you think though.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Lunarbunny

I've never played WoW but I have played a number of other MMOs

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By shadows_kill

i touched the box at the store and that was enough.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Verdugo

Never played WOW, have no intention of doing so.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#57  Edited By sarahsdad

The only MMO experience I remember is playing Shadowbane for a couple months, some number of years ago, but nothing since then.

NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

No, I never played it. MMOs are boring, and I hate talking to people I don't know, especially in a videogame.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By HandsomeDead

I endured the trial period but as for playing it, well, there didn't seem like much of a game in there. You point, you click and the computer does the cool stuff.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Hexpane

Good MMOs are a fantastic way to build virtual friendships and they are the be all end all of Co-Op gaming today, unless you like FPS.

However I lost enough of my life to Everquest, I dare not touch WoW.  I made some great friends in EQ and shared some really fun times and helped people achieve in game goals.  But it's a giant time sink, and I was never able to keep up w/ the unemployed crowd and most of the crowd like me (working 60hrs a week, girlfriend) were so spotty in raid attendance that you have to end up guilding w/ kids.  Most of them are fine but oftentimes some of the kddies can get real annoying and I prefer adult only gaming.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By jakob187

Hi, I'm jakob187.  I've played WoW for 3 years now, and my social life isn't in any way crippled by the game.  = D

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Hexpane

Believe it or not I know quite a few people that got laid/married/pregnant via Everquest. Of course for every 1 marriage there were 3 divorces and 10 neglected babies and 100 cases of lung cancer, and 1000 "sick days" logged at work by varios people

One time my ex-gf way back in the day was like "WHO IS THAT GIRL" when I was buying potions off an NPC vendor...

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By Jensonb

I played the Trial once, for like 2 hours. Can't see the point of getting into, I have too many other things I like to do.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Hexpane said:
    "Believe it or not I know quite a few people that got laid/married/pregnant via Everquest. Of course for every 1 marriage there were 3 divorces and 10 neglected babies and 100 cases of lung cancer, and 1000 "sick days" logged at work by varios people

One time my ex-gf way back in the day was like "WHO IS THAT GIRL" when I was buying potions off an NPC vendor...
    "
    This post is funny all the way through. kudos. lol.
    CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#65  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

The closest I ever got to WoW was when I watched the South Park episode about it. I don't play games that make you pay to keep playing them.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Will1Lucky

I've never played a game that involves a Monthly Fee, Except Xbox Live of course.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

I haven't, I watched a friend play World of Warcraft and just did not find anything I saw enticing.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JJWeatherman

Thanks for the response guys. Looks like thid thread is nearly dead. Good run though. Especially for my first post.  :)

starhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By starhawk
    Tordah said:
    "I've never played it either. I can't see myself ever paying a monthly fee to play a game and my interest for MMORPGs in general is pretty much nonexistent.

Give me a good single-player RPG with a great story instead Blizzard!
    "
     Actually that's what I personally love about the game.  It has a great story.  But not just one, dozens, that all tie together.  The writing is fantastic and the art style is highly creative. The monthly fee is the worst part of the game but considering how much content you get, including constant updates from Blizzard themselves, it's justified.  It costs the same to go to a 2 hour movie + popcorn. 

The only thing is to control your play time because it is addictive since it is a lot of fun.  I don't feel it's any different than a good console rpg/beefed-up, customizable hack-and-slash with huge multiplayer content. 
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Demilich
    SoothsayerGB said:
    "Never played WoW.  But  Isn't Halo a MMO? Isn't wow and Mmo-RPG?  WEird I always thought their was a difference. 

Leroy Jenkins?  LoL  Thats where that came from!  I have never seen the original before.  Thats crazy!  I always thought that started somewhere in Halo 2. 

Anyway, I only play MMOs like CoD 4, Halo 3, Left4dead, and Killzone 2.  You know FPS MMOs.  I found this yesterday on Youtube.  Kinda funny, that they get into it so much.  RIgt?  LOL!!!  They need to buy a 360!  That 11 million players has got to be crap."

Idiot...
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Marzy

I've never played and I don't plan too, personally, it's just not my sort of game.

karkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By karkii

I once saw my friend play it (well I actually pressed forward once) and it was really really boring. Though I haven't played WoW I know quite a lot about it because almost all of my friends play it and they talk about it all the time at school. I can't even count how many times they have tried to lure me into playing it.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By xplodedd

never played it.
    hopefully never will.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Absurd

I just started playing it ;)

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tmthomsen
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "I've never touched wow and never intend too i've played other MMO's mostly free ones and not a single one was different id play till about lvl 30 then get bored because id have to level grind too much just to even begin the next set of quests.
    "

WoW is in fact different in that respect. WoW isn't just a tedious grind, in fact you can reach level 80 in about 7 days play time. Of course, that is still a lot of hours, but compared to other MMO's, WoW is quite gently.

The game focuses more on end-game content, whether it is raiding or PvP'ing you want. As with any other MMO, WoW relies heavily on the social aspect. So if you go into this alone, you might get bored quickly.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By mike
    Newten said:
    "The closest I ever got to WoW was when I watched the South Park episode about it. I don't play games that make you pay to keep playing them.
    "
    ...so instead you continually buy new games, play them for a week or a month or even a few months, then buy more new ones?  What's the difference?  This argument reminds me of people saying they will never play MMO's because they are addictive and are huge timesinks, as if sinking 60 or 70 hours a month into HALO 3 online is any different.
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Lashe

I've not played WoW. I have nothing against it, I just prefer Ragnarok and don't have enough time to juggle 2 MMORPGs

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By OmegaPirate

Ive not touched it, i have a very aaddictive personality and although EVE is more to my taste, im afraid of whta would hapen to me if i got into WoW

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By atejas

Not much of an MMO kinda guy.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By chililili
    MB said:
    "Newten said:
    "The closest I ever got to WoW was when I watched the South Park episode about it. I don't play games that make you pay to keep playing them.
    "
    ...so instead you continually buy new games, play them for a week or a month or even a few months, then buy more new ones?  What's the difference?  This argument reminds me of people saying they will never play MMO's because they are addictive and are huge timesinks, as if sinking 60 or 70 hours a month into HALO 3 online is any different.
    "
    You are right MB.

I am an ex-WoW player. I have been clean for almost a year now. it was specially hard for me when the new expansion was released, but I managed to not buy it and not succumb into the game. I can honestly that in my opinion WoW is the best game there has ever been. it is a very carefully and meticulously organized and orchestrated MMO that always leaves you wanting more. It is a huge time sink as well. Of course if you play 60-70 hours in Halo 3 online its the same timesink, but I no longer play as much hours as I used to with WoW. But having to buy a new game every so often does make not having wow pricier, than having it and using a monthly subscription. In my opinion and for my tastes WoW is perfect, the only is that you need to find a very good guild with like minded 24 other people, so that you can experience the end-game raiding content, which is very fun.

WoW is cheaper and quite honestly would be the ONLY game I wold ever need if I ever came back, it would take a very special game to pull me away from it, and it would only entertain me throughout the story mode. However I am happier without it and have much more free time and can do better things, and exercise now once more without WoW. This post may sound like the drabble from a recovered alcholic but WoW for me, and many others in my guild, truly was an addiction in every sense of the word.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By JJWeatherman
    chililili said:
    "MB said:
    "Newten said:
    "
    "
    You are right MB.

I am an ex-WoW player. I have been clean for almost a year now. it was specially hard for me when the new expansion was released, but I managed to not buy it and not succumb into the game. I can honestly that in my opinion WoW is the best game there has ever been. it is a very carefully and meticulously organized and orchestrated MMO that always leaves you wanting more. It is a huge time sink as well. Of course if you play 60-70 hours in Halo 3 online its the same timesink, but I no longer play as much hours as I used to with WoW. But having to buy a new game every so often does make not having wow pricier, than having it and using a monthly subscription. In my opinion and for my tastes WoW is perfect, the only is that you need to find a very good guild with like minded 24 other people, so that you can experience the end-game raiding content, which is very fun.

WoW is cheaper and quite honestly would be the ONLY game I wold ever need if I ever came back, it would take a very special game to pull me away from it, and it would only entertain me throughout the story mode. However I am happier without it and have much more free time and can do better things, and exercise now once more without WoW. This post may sound like the drabble from a recovered alcholic but WoW for me, and many others in my guild, truly was an addiction in every sense of the word.
    "
    Wow, after reading that i'm a little scared of WoW. lol.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jakob187

I think it's sad that so many people have to knock WoW and talk about "oh, it's an addiction" and that it's for people with no lives.

What about Halo 3?  You level up on there.  You rank up, you get new gear.  It has a lot of the same things that you would find in an "addicted" WoW player.

Battlefield 2?  Level up, medals, unlock new guns.

Call of Duty 4?  Level up, then START OVER AGAIN, unlock new guns and gear.

You see where I'm going with this?

The only true difference between WoW and these other games is that WoW offers an entire realm to wander around.  You have tons of micro-things you can get and do.  It, quite literally, is like a more interactive version of MySpace.  I find it to be a far more social experience, and frankly...name ONE social experience that doesn't involve money.  Drinking involves money.  Clubbing involves money.  So if anything, WoW players are merely doing the same as everyone else, but they use their time in other ways.

So anyone that wants to talk down about WoW players needs to realize that they probably aren't too far off from being easily comparable to their image of a WoW player.

Also, majority of the guys I know in RL that play WoW...DEFINITELY aren't fat and living in their parents' basement like most people think.  They are normal, everyday people.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By JJWeatherman
     "Drinking involves money.  Clubbing involves money.  So if anything, WoW players are merely doing the same as everyone else, but they use their time in other ways."

Yeah but WoW doesn't get you laid (so I hear). lol.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Absurd
    jakob187 said:

Also, majority of the guys I know in RL that play WoW...DEFINITELY aren't fat and living in their parents' basement like most people think.  They are normal, everyday people.
    Agreed, My friend told me to get it, and I didn't really know he played it before then...
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By JJWeatherman

Man this post is like the Energizer Bunny... I think you know the rest.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Snipzor
    JJWeatherman said:
    "Man this post is like the Energizer Bunny... I think you know the rest."
    No I don't.

I've never played WoW, but I've always wanted to give it a bit of a try.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Demyx

had the trial, but did not invest enough time in it. I don't really do MMOs.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#88  Edited By ArbitraryWater

JJWeatherman said:

"Man this post is like the Energizer Bunny... I think you know the rest."

It just keeps on going?

Anyways, I refuse to play World of Warcraft because I despise social interaction over the internet, because a large amount of people will abuse their anonymity and act like total dicks just because they can. Also, I don't want to party up with random people just so I can get through a dungeon. Also, I guess $15 a month isn't that much, but 4 months of WoW could buy a new game, where I could get a new experience instead of succumbing to the grind.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By jakob187
    JJWeatherman said:
    " "Drinking involves money.  Clubbing involves money.  So if anything, WoW players are merely doing the same as everyone else, but they use their time in other ways."

Yeah but WoW doesn't get you laid (so I hear). lol."
    I'm sorry.  You must've misunderstood what I said, as you obviously can't read the English language in proper context before commenting.

I referred to drinking and clubbing as social activities in comparison to WoW, which is also a social activity.  I never said ANYTHING about it GETTING you laid.

Also, it's naive and stupid as Hell to believe that WoW players don't get laid.  That's like saying that Halo 3 or Gears 2 or Street Fighter players don't get laid.  =  /
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By Alexander

I'm not afraid of MMOs. WoW doesn't turn sociable people into recluses and social deviates. Recluses and the socially devoid play WoW.

And, no, that's not the rule, I know a couple of people who were into WoW and they were fine for the most part. However I would put money on the top WoW players being quite an odd bunch.

MMOs require a great level of personal investment - more than I think I'll be willing to hand over. I'll stick to keeping my K/D ratio at 2.0 in CoD4.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

I try to stay away from mmos i hate people 

;p
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By lamegame621

Never played Wow. Proud of that fact. I should mention that I am afraid of getting sucked into it so I'll stay away. If you like it though, more power to you.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By BiggerBomb

I never played World of Warcr-aw, heck. That's a lie. I played the shit out of that game.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Hexpane

Single player games are not all that different, except that most of them end, where as MMOS keep going.   Although some really great single player RPGs have a ton of depth and replay.
    So what's the difference between 300 hours logged into Morrowind vs. 700 hours in WoW?  Co-op and constant balance patches is the really big diff and what you end up paying for. 

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ShadowKiller

I had a 4 month subscription and the highest I got one of my characters was around level 17. I just couldn't get into that game...

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#96  Edited By lethalki11ler

I'm an ex-addict :(

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By JJWeatherman
    jakob187 said:
    "JJWeatherman said:
    " "Drinking involves money.  Clubbing involves money.  So if anything, WoW players are merely doing the same as everyone else, but they use their time in other ways."

Yeah but WoW doesn't get you laid (so I hear). lol."
    I'm sorry.  You must've misunderstood what I said, as you obviously can't read the English language in proper context before commenting.

I referred to drinking and clubbing as social activities in comparison to WoW, which is also a social activity.  I never said ANYTHING about it GETTING you laid.

Also, it's naive and stupid as Hell to believe that WoW players don't get laid.  That's like saying that Halo 3 or Gears 2 or Street Fighter players don't get laid.  =  /
    "
    Calm down sheesh, just a joke. (sheesh count 5! lol)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give the game a try for yourself, get the free trial.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By penguindust
    Alexander said:
     WoW doesn't turn sociable people into recluses and social deviates. Recluses and the socially devoid play WoW.
    ZombieHunter said:
    I try to stay away from mmos i hate people 
    ;p
    Touché, ZombieHunter!  I literally laughed out loud. 

DazbotAthertron said:
    "Just give the game a try for yourself, get the free trial."
    Additionally, if you don't like the idea of WOW because its WOW, Warhammer Online has a 10 day trial out now, too.  Although, you may need to register at FilePlanet (I don't know), but it's free, either way. http://www.fileplanet.com/195629/190000/fileinfo/Warhammer-Online:-Age-of-Reckoning---Refer-A-Friend-Trial-Client

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Colonel_Fury

I've never played WoW. A lot of my friends play it, so I end up talking about it too much for someone who doesn't. I used to play Star Wars Galaxies before that got screwed up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.