The New Muscle Flexing System.

#1 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Most of Giant Bomb does not like wrestling. But this game looks seriously improved, both gameplay wise, and graphically from previous titles. With the new WWE Universe mode and stuff. But the new muscle flex system looks absolutely fantastic. Check it out. It seems to me that they actually put effort into this Smackdown vs RAW.

Skip to 1:09, and check out the chest and the neck. 

Also a video showing off some new gameplay.
#2 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Yeah I saw this.  The problem with these yearly wrestling games is the actual WWE stars always get good treatment, but then you go to make your own character and are stuck with the same shitty, painted-on looking clothing, unrealistic hair, and clipping issues that plague every installment. 

#3 Posted by DarkShaper (1325 posts) -

I really hate wrestling but love the games for some reason. But the muscle stuff looks weird, probably because the model still looks bad.

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@DarkShaper said:
" I really hate wrestling but love the games for some reason. But the muscle stuff looks weird, probably because the model still looks bad. "
I think it looks pretty good.
#5 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

Looks pretty neat....now just make it play like WcW Vs. NWO and I'm in.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Heartagram said:
" Looks pretty neat....now just make it play like WcW Vs. NWO and I'm in. "
That would be a pretty outdated game.
#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

O yay. A game with guys with big muscles wrestling each other in thongs. Yay. 

#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" O yay. A game with guys with big muscles wrestling each other in thongs. Yay.  "
O yay. A spam post, posting on a thread about a game he doesn't like. Yay.
#10 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Speed muscle technology

#11 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

It's actually just normal mapping.  They fade that texture layer in and out.  Sorry to ruin the illusion.  :P

#12 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -
@CL60: Ha, Chris Jericho is in worse shape than either of those screenshots. Still one of the best though.
#13 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Diamond said:

" It's actually just normal mapping.  They fade that texture layer in and out.  Sorry to ruin the illusion.  :P "

So? Isn't that what Rockstar did with the horses in RDR? That still looked awesome.
#14 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@RankRabbit said:
" @CL60: Ha, Chris Jericho is in worse shape than either of those screenshots. Still one of the best though. "
Yeah, the games usually exaggerate on the muscles lol.
#15 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@CL60:  Yep, it's the same exact thing.  No problem but it's nothing new really.
#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @CL60:  Yep, it's the same exact thing.  No problem but it's nothing new really. "
Yeah, I know it's not new, but it's new to the franchise, and it looks awesome.
#17 Posted by Gorehorn (88 posts) -

Having nice ripples on the muscles is all nice and well, but some of the actual animations look pretty bad. The up/down arm-motion on the turnbuckle looks absolutely horrible in my opinion.

#18 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@CL60 said:
"

"
Oh my god, he instantly got super ripped.
#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: Just like real life.
#20 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3071 posts) -

Still waiting for custom GiantBomb staff members made in these wrestling games.  It seems so obvious, and yet we never get Vinny beating Ryan with a Championship belt.

#21 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" Still waiting for custom GiantBomb staff members made in these wrestling games.  It seems so obvious, and yet we never get Vinny beating Ryan with a Championship belt. "
I'll do it just for you once the game comes out.
#22 Posted by DaveMagic (68 posts) -

Semi hyped for this one. I'm wondering about the improvements and the obvious half assery on this one as with all of the previous games. Everything has a glossy new finish but how much is REALLY new?

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@DaveMagic said:
" Semi hyped for this one. I'm wondering about the improvements and the obvious half assery on this one as with all of the previous games. Everything has a glossy new finish but how much is REALLY new? "

A lot.
#24 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Pumped and ripped, Brah!!

Get big, stay big! 

Flex yo muscles, vogue pose!

#25 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
Oh my god, he instantly got super ripped. "
He's roiding the cut!
#26 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Reading this thread makes me wish they would make another Saturday Night Slam Masters.           :(

#27 Posted by mikeeegeee (1554 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Heartagram said:
That would be a pretty outdated game. "
I heartily disagree. Me and my friends still play World Tour and Revenge quite a bit. The grappling system is perfect. My main qualm with all wrestling games that aren't World Tour or Revenge is that they don't play similarly to those classics. Maybe I'm just living in the past... those controls may be old but they are the gold standard in my book.
#28 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@mikeeegeee said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Heartagram said:
That would be a pretty outdated game. "
I heartily disagree. Me and my friends still play World Tour and Revenge quite a bit. The grappling system is perfect. My main qualm with all wrestling games that aren't World Tour or Revenge is that they don't play similarly to those classics. Maybe I'm just living in the past... those controls may be old but they are the gold standard in my book. "
Well in 2011 they grappling system is more like it was in the earlier Smackdown! games I think. Which is an improvement.
#29 Posted by Prolix (188 posts) -

Why does that redneck spit all over himself?  That normal in redneck society?  Like saying hello.

#30 Posted by dr_pineapple (197 posts) -

People still play these?

#31 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Comments here are priceless. If you don't like it why the fuck are you commenting with "durp durp, homosexuals!". Grow up.

#32 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Comments here are priceless. If you don't like it why the fuck are you commenting with "durp durp, homosexuals!". Grow up. "
And if you aint down with dat I got to words for ya.
#33 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Reading this thread makes me wish they would make another Saturday Night Slam Masters.           :( "
That will never happen.
#34 Edited by oatz (1103 posts) -

Gotta say, that looks terrible in-game. Clipping, jerky animations and everything looks really flat.

#35 Posted by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -

I like wrestling still and find the games to be fun, so this one looks real good. 

I just wish that if there is a CaW Road to Wrestlemania that it involved NXT so I could beat up Wade Barret. 

Still, picking this one up.

#36 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:
" I like wrestling still and find the games to be fun, so this one looks real good.    I just wish that if there is a CaW Road to Wrestlemania that it involved NXT so I could beat up Wade Barret.   Still, picking this one up. "
Well 3 members of NXT are going to be DLC, so I doubt they will be involved in any of the Road to Wrestlemanias.
#37 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

Isn't this what Rockstar did with the horses in Red Dead? Looks ok, but I don't think it's something that you'd really notice when playing the game. I'd say work on the animations first.

#38 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Muttinus_Rump said:

" Isn't this what Rockstar did with the horses in Red Dead? Looks ok, but I don't think it's something that you'd really notice when playing the game. I'd say work on the animations first. "

They did work on the animations, watch the other video I posted. They have changed almost everything it seems. They definitely made everything a whole lot smoother.
#39 Edited by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @VelvetLore04 said:

" I like wrestling still and find the games to be fun, so this one looks real good.    I just wish that if there is a CaW Road to Wrestlemania that it involved NXT so I could beat up Wade Barret.   Still, picking this one up. "
Well 3 members of NXT are going to be DLC, so I doubt they will be involved in any of the Road to Wrestlemanias. "

Yeah, which sucks.  The whole NXT thing would be perfect for a CaW RTWM.

Though I will probably end up making at least a Lucky Cannon CaW that I can just constantly beat the shit out of.
#40 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Muttinus_Rump said:

" Isn't this what Rockstar did with the horses in Red Dead? Looks ok, but I don't think it's something that you'd really notice when playing the game. I'd say work on the animations first. "

They did work on the animations, watch the other video I posted. They have changed almost everything it seems. They definitely made everything a whole lot smoother. "
Just watched it. It definately looks a lot better than older versions. Still don't think it's on a par with stuff like UFC though, those animations were brutal.
#41 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Wasn't sure to take to be honest, but the moment I heard Triple H's song I was hooked.

On the subject though this is good I guess. It definitely shows that they're trying to make a game that looks and plays confident this time around.

#42 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

Nice.  
I just added it to my gamefly list after watching the 2 vids. Haven't played a wrestling game since the PS2 days. 

#43 Posted by Horry43 (101 posts) -

Lol. I love googling over men flexing.
#44 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

Oh god, that looks creepeh.
#45 Posted by rick9109 (152 posts) -

The thing I'm most excited about is you'll actually be able to set the stats of your created character to what you want rather than having to spend the time to build them up.  I'm hoping you can edit the entrances to downloaded CAWs because that would then make the game about perfect for my use.

#46 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Horry43 said:
" Lol. I love googling over men flexing. "
Grow up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.