Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

I hate these Eco Cases so fu...

• 69 results
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

...cking much!!!!

I just unwrapped my copy of Bulletstorm, only to instantly have my nicely-sized boner  deflate when I saw it was in one of those craptacular Eco Cases. 

Which idiot is responsible for this retarded design?
     Which idiot is responsible for this retarded design?
    Now, I'm all about saving the planet and stuff. I rarely drive unless I have to and I recycle everything I can, but I AM SO FUCKING SICK BULLSHIT LIKE THIS!!!  

Honestly, they are so fucking crappy! Not only do the feel cheap and flimsy as shit but there's only a thin layer of plastic and a sheet of paper protecting the disk from getting scratched. Not to mention that even getting the blasted disk out is a pain and I've snapped my fair share of these shit cases doing so! 

I hate 'em so fucking much that I actually went on Ebay to look for some replacement cases. But even finding proper ones is getting harder. 99% are these shitty Chinese knockoffs that are slightly different green and made of even shittier plastic. So that's a no-go. 

I wanna find the guy responsible for this shit and shove them all up his ass!!! 

So, dear publishers, please stop using them! This shit is not funny!
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Quacktastic

What's really weird is that they don't just remove the plastic from the corners to leave the disc protected.  But, end of the day - it's a case.  Put it on a shelf and forget about it.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

The entire world agrees with you. They are pure shit.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Vonocourt

Yep, I'll be pissed the day PS3 games start using them.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Enigma777
    @Quacktastic said:
    " What's really weird is that they don't just remove the plastic from the corners to leave the disc protected.  But, end of the day - it's a case.  Put it on a shelf and forget about it. "
    Until the next time you need to take the disk out... which is why I fucking hate them so much! I wish you could just install games and never bother with the disk again...
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Quacktastic said:
    " What's really weird is that they don't just remove the plastic from the corners to leave the disc protected.  But, end of the day - it's a case.  Put it on a shelf and forget about it. "
    They should just make a disc shaped case, like they do with Chinatown knockoffs. I'm sure those are so "ecofficient".

I'm willing to bet that the move to eco-cases on 360 is more of a Microsoft initiative than the publisher's fault.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai
    @Vonocourt said:
    " Yep, I'll be pissed the day PS3 games start using them. "
    Don't they already given the smaller case? 

Anyways. I really don't mind it. Granted you have to be more careful as far as ripping the case but I keep it pretty safe. 
    Leviticus128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Leviticus128

Relax, we will soon be in the digital age and you won't have to worry and to be fair unless you're throwing the case around like an idiot there's avery slim chance of you actually scratching the disc whilst it's inside.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Mordukai said:

" @Vonocourt said:

Don't they already given the smaller case?  Anyways. I really don't mind it. Granted you have to be more careful as far as ripping the case but I keep it pretty safe.  "
    Smaller case is better than disemboweled case. At least the PS3 has full disc protection and feel as if they're made of a better grade of plastic.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Soon they'll just be selling discs in little Ziplock bags. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

I hope to god Sony doesn't make BD cases like that.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Aus_azn said:

" @Quacktastic said:

They should just make a disc shaped case, like they do with Chinatown knockoffs. I'm sure those are so "ecofficient".  I'm willing to bet that the move to eco-cases on 360 is more of a Microsoft initiative than the publisher's fault. "
    Does Microsoft themselves manufacture the cases? Because that would make it understandable, but my Halo: Reach didn't come in a eco-case.

@Mordukai said:

" @Vonocourt said:

Don't they already given the smaller case?  Anyways. I really don't mind it. Granted you have to be more careful as far as ripping the case but I keep it pretty safe.  "
     That's just so it's in line with Blu-ray cases.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quacktastic

No Caption Provided
    I don't mind how 3DS does it.  Less plastic, thing you bought still protected.
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Helimocopter
    @leviticus128: well, the whole point is to protect against accidents, most people won't hurt their disks with or with out the case, but there will be people who for experience a tear in their case, and the disk is injured as a result
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vonocourt

@MooseyMcMan said:

" Soon they'll just be selling discs in little Ziplock bags.  "

EA going back to its roots?
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake

Yeah they're pretty terrible. In fact, most people I know have actually bought a DVD zip case in stick 'em in there since they just can't risk scratching the discs. I may not look as nice but it's the lesser of the two evils. You should probably do it too if you hate them so much.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By christ0phe

Would people really hate them this much if Jeff didn't hate them so much?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Vonocourt said:
    "Does Microsoft themselves manufacture the cases? Because that would make it understandable, but my Halo: Reach didn't come in a eco-case. "
    I don't think they do, but I think they have a standard, like the dimensions of the case and the colour that it has to be. So I doubt that MS is not involved in some way.

@christ0phe said:
    " Would people really hate them this much if Jeff didn't hate them so much? "
    I don't give a damn about the podcast or what people generally say. I know when I first received L4D2 for PC and it came in an eco-case, I was pissed. If my Xbox games, which I pay triple for, and have to actually use the bloody disc, came like that, I'd be extremely pissed. I like to keep my games and cases as new and pristine as possible, and that's how I expect a used game to be treated when I receive it. Of course, on every occasion I've purchased a used game, it's not like that. Hence why I don't buy used games.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zityz

I can understand why they bother people. To be fair I've never had a problem with them myself personally but yes they do need to make a better design.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @christ0phe said:
    Hell no! C'mon you know how Giantbomb rolls!

I just hate how they feel cheap and flimsy. If I'm spending 60 bucks on a game then I want a nice case to go along with that no matter how many humpback whales it kills.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gamb1t

i wondered why recently the 360 cases of games were super cheap and flimsy. got masseffect2 new but the top part was just cracked and broken. pos case

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vonocourt
    @christ0phe said:
    I've hated them since March 10, 2009, which was the day when Synecdoche, New York was released on DVD and was the first time I distinctly remember getting one. Jeff's opinion on them what, like close to two years later didn't do much to shape mine.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By xyzygy

For some reason all of the newer games I've bought didn't come in an eco case. Dead Space 2 didn't. DJ Hero 2 didn't. Fable 3, Crackdown 2... none of them. Is this only in certain countries? 
    Looked through a few more and it seems that the only game I have that did this was Dragon Age: Origins. Every single other game I have is a regular case. And I have over 80 games.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By zidd

I stopped buying as many 360 games because of these.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By sopranosfan

I am indifferent to them.  I usually keep the case laying beside the TV while playing the game and then put the game in and put it on a shelf until time to play again so I haven't had any disc or case damage yet but if I did I wouldn't be happy but until then I am fine with them.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azteck

Never seen 'em here in good ol' Sweden.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dany

i am just disappointed at the weight of it. I have some subconscious inflammatory idea that "if it weighs more, it is more worth my money" but that goes away in about 2.7 seconds

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I could have sworn that BD cases use the eco design now.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By zidd
    @Lord_Yeti: some do but PS3 games do not.
    Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
    JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By JackBauerCTU225

I think they are rather worthless. Just like the whole phasing out  of the incandescent light bulb in replace it with the new mercury lightbulbs. Its the green agenda. Dont get me wrong I think protecting the planet is a great thing, but some take it a little too far.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pwnasaurus

pfftt what is this the 90's? buying a game now not on steam or digitally seems ridiculous.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DougQuaid

I love eco cases! 

I also love putting a slip of paper inside and calling it a manual!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By jakob187

Hey, you used the same picture that I did in my blog from almost exactly a year ago

Yeah, I still hate eco-boxes.  I'm getting more and more used to them, as they are the norm now while it's always just a little out of my "want-to-spend" price range for REAL cases.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Getz

Amen brother, I hate those flimsy cases. Thing is, they're not just less wasteful. They are also cheaper to manufacture. For a long while now publishers have been skimping on the game manuals to cut costs, and now they have one more thing to cut it down further. It's not going away; it'll get worse before it gets better. Count on "premium" versions to have nice packaging though, as long as you pay the premium price.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By onarum

The problem with "eco" cases is that they're pointless, so what that you're using less plastic, it will still pollute all the same, now if they were made of some bio degradable material it would be a different story .

These things are only good for the companies to spend less money manufacturing them, it's the only reason any of em would start doing this, like hell they give a damn about the environment.

bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bkfountain

I hate them too, but bestbuy sells replacement cases that come in packs of 4 or whatever. They're cheap as hell and quality replacements for these piece of shit eco cases.  

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aus_azn
    @pwnasaurus said:
    " pfftt what is this the 90's? buying a game now not on steam or digitally seems ridiculous. "
    PC elitist. I'll support the console move to full digital distribution, but not right now. Most people aren't ready, and there are far too many games that are yet unavailable through digital services. 

@Getz said:
    " Amen brother, I hate those flimsy cases. Thing is, they're not just less wasteful. They are also cheaper to manufacture. For a long while now publishers have been skimping on the game manuals to cut costs, and now they have one more thing to cut it down further. It's not going away; it'll get worse before it gets better. Count on "premium" versions to have nice packaging though, as long as you pay the premium price. "
    This is one thing Gran Turismo is actually progressive about. Just put the manual in the game. They should just bin the idea of including a print manual; if you can't figure out how to operate the disc tray, you probably don't have the ability to play the game.

Still, I really don't like eco-cases. They're just too flimsy and unprotective. A friend of mine bought a 360 game recently, where the stock room man had opened the box with a boxcutter and sliced through the case...and as a consequence, the disc. At least the store was gracious enough to exchange it for him.
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Crixaliz
    @leviticus128 said:
    " Relax, we will soon be in the digital age and you won't have to worry and to be fair unless you're throwing the case around like an idiot there's avery slim chance of you actually scratching the disc whilst it's inside. "
    I'm super skeptical of this 'digital age'.
    Canada the max internet usage for households is capped at 80gb per month and there have been pushes to reduce the cap (they were planning to drop it to 25gb per month). For me the 80gb is split between me and two of my room-mates and its pretty easy to hit the cap.
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I totally agree. Eco cases make everything seem so cheap. I think Reach was the last 360 game that wasn't in an eco case.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Aus_azn: I wanna say that I'm not a pc elitist but honestly i can't, i cannot see in any way a console is better, and the old stand by of too much money/too hard isn't viable.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Enigma777
    @xyzygy said:
    " For some reason all of the newer games I've bought didn't come in an eco case. Dead Space 2 didn't. DJ Hero 2 didn't. Fable 3, Crackdown 2... none of them. Is this only in certain countries? Looked through a few more and it seems that the only game I have that did this was Dragon Age: Origins. Every single other game I have is a regular case. And I have over 80 games. "
    I dunno, but RDR has it and so do Splinter Cell Conviction, AssBro and Bulletstorm. 
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JoelTGM

relax it's just a case!  that doesn't even look that bad anyway, I don't see what the problem is.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CaptainCody

Am I the only one who doesn't go around using cases like they're Captain America's Shield? It's a case, get over it.  
    I certainly don't give a fuck.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " For some reason all of the newer games I've bought didn't come in an eco case. Dead Space 2 didn't. DJ Hero 2 didn't. Fable 3, Crackdown 2... none of them. Is this only in certain countries? Looked through a few more and it seems that the only game I have that did this was Dragon Age: Origins. Every single other game I have is a regular case. And I have over 80 games. "
    I dunno, but RDR has it and so do Splinter Cell Conviction, AssBro and Bulletstorm.  "
    My copies of RDR and Brotherhood don't have it. Maybe they run out of them or something, I have no idea.
    RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By RankRabbit

I have cracked the inner part of two games because the part that holds the disc in is also very shoddy and has no give even when pressing in on it.

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By EchoForge

I`ve never had a game with these before, these things look awfull. At the same time, I`m kinda glad I have my weird 20-year habit of taking discs out from cases and shoving them in a CD/DVD wallet, essentially never having to open cases after that first time. 

/hooray for one of my complusions paying off
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Insectecutor

They're cheaper to ship because they weigh less. I don't know if they're much cheaper to manufacture.

Just be glad this isn't the old PC days where they stopped putting the discs in jewel cases in favour of shitty cardboard sleeves.

Cardboard is much more eco friendly. Maybe soon we'll see xbox games shipped in a shrink-wrapped greetings card with a pocket inside for the disc.

I haven't come across these eco cases in the UK yet. I doubt I'd have a problem with them provided the button to pop out the disc actually fucking works, which seems to be something almost nobody has managed to perfect in 30 years.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RE_Player1

Doesn't bother me. It's a non-issue. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Brendan

I don't understand why they don't put the solid plastic where the disk is and put the holes around it.  I'm sure I'm missing some cost benefit design analysis and factory flowchart design sheet for this shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.