Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Lifetime of a 360 controller?

• 67 results
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Tordah

Lately, I've been getting the feeling that my Xbox 360 controller is not what it used to be anymore. The left analog stick is kinda wonky and occasionally some of the face buttons don't seem to be as responsive as they used to. It's been starting to bug me in certain games where timing is important.

I've been using the same controller for at least 2 years and it's been getting a lot of use. I think it was pretty much fine until I started playing Street Fighter 4, but after 40+ hours in that game my controller was just not the same...

Have anyone else experienced a deteriorating controller, and how long have you been using it?

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

It takes me less than a few months for me to start noticing unbalanced sensitivity on the sticks. Really annoying.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

i've been using my controller for a couple of years. i just recently just bought rubber grips because the grooves on the analogstick were worn out. they were pretty good. i've actually also been playing my ps3 a lot more because of the grooves. crazy stuff.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DystopiaX
    @iam3green said:
    " i've been using my controller for a couple of years. i just recently just bought rubber grips because the grooves on the analogstick were worn out. they were pretty good. i've actually also been playing my ps3 a lot more because of the grooves. crazy stuff. "
    The grooves on my analogs wore out a long time ago, but I prefer them that way. Similarly, the tension on my analogs have gotten a lot looser as well but I've gotten used to them and now can't play on a newer controller, lol. Haven't had any of the button response problems that the OP has though.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaggE

Four years on mine. I've got some awful drift on my left stick, and some buttons feel spongy. It's served me well, though, and considering the controller abuse that certain games demand, it's in surprisingly good condition. 

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rosebud04

the left stick on mine is very squeaky and rigid, but ive had it for three years so it ain't doing too bad. 

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By NickL

I still have my original wired controller working perfectly although i barely use it anymore 
    I dont think i have had a bad 360 controller (except for 2 that came with a loose battery pack out of the box)

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By SMTDante89

It's been about four years, plus maybe one more when my friend owned it (bought it from him) and it still works fine, it's just a little dirty.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The sticks on my two original controllers lost much of their resistance and would just lean to the side on their own. When I bought my last Xbox, the controller that came with it worked perfectly for the better part of a year but over the last 6 or so months the sticks have been getting pretty loose. It still works well enough, but playing certain shooters makes it real annoying when my character keeps moving after I let go of the sticks. Crysis 2 was particularly sensitive when it came to that. 

I very recently got the new silver controller with the "improved" d-pad. Supposedly the sticks on here have much more resistance than the normal controllers to prevent them from getting too loose and floaty, but I don't know for sure. I would love for someone to be able to confirm or deny this for me.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Patman99

I've been using the same controller from my second xbox (currently on my 4th 360). So if I figure correctly, it is still strong after 3 or 4 years of pretty regular use. The only maintenance I have done on it was about a month ago when I opened it to clean in the cracks. Im pretty easy on my controllers so maybe that has to do with it?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

I got a launch 360 controller that's wired, and still use it on my PC to this date.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I've replaced my PS3 controller twice now due to analog sticks getting stuck in the forward position.  Maybe I'm just playing a lot more games now, but it seems like previous generations had much higher quality controllers.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By ssj4raditz

I have about 8 controllers for my 360 that I rotate regularly, so no single one gets too worn. The only one that has any "problems" is the one that came with the system; the little nubbins on the sticks have worn down, and one of triggers squeaks on occasion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I played Call of Duty 4 so much that my pad's left analog stick would stick in the up position, blame the 'click-in sprint motion'.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By zombie2011

i've had both of mine since launch almost 6 years now and they are both fine.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Dany

I've had both since the launch, november 2005 and I should really get some new ones, especially the wireless since it gets more play. Not really grungy looking but hte left stick when clicking in can be unresponsive and the stick tends to be left, causing my character to drift to the left....which is terrible in a cover base shooter or fighting game

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iDarktread

When I played a lot of competitive Halo 3, a standard controller would usually become worthless to me in about six months. The big problem with this, other than it's apparent lack in build quality, was that I never had enough money, or the want to spend the money I had, on more damn controllers. Neither of my Microsoft branded Xbox 360 rechargeable battery packs can hold a charge, and I'm on my second Xbox 360. None of this has been because of misuse; that, I am sure of.

On a side note, I have two GameCube WaveBird Wireless controllers that I bought used from a friend years ago that still both work fantastically.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Skytylz

The clicking on the sticks of my first controller were getting so bad that when i played Halo I would melee to get out of scope because I knew it would work the first time.  

Avatar image for the_dark_guardian
    The_Dark_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssj4raditz said:
    " I have about 8 controllers for my 360 that I rotate regularly, so no single one gets too worn. The only one that has any "problems" is the one that came with the system; the little nubbins on the sticks have worn down, and one of triggers squeaks on occasion. "
    I am curious as to why you have 8 controllers. 

On topic though my controllers usually only last me 8-12 months of heavy playing before analog sticks start make me "drift" and over-used buttons such as the A button start to stick and become less response in games which drives me crazy and then i have to get a new one.
    Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#20  Edited By Dimsey

The rubber came off one of my analog sticks once, which was kind of annoying and made it feel weird to use.
    But generally I've not had an issues!

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Vonocourt
    @iDarktread said:
    " When I played a lot of competitive Halo 3, a standard controller would usually become worthless to me in about six months. The big problem with this, other than it's apparent lack in build quality, was that I never had enough money, or the want to spend the money I had, on more damn controllers. Neither of my Microsoft branded Xbox 360 rechargeable battery packs can hold a charge, and I'm on my second Xbox 360. None of this has been because of misuse; that, I am sure of.  On a side note, I have two GameCube WaveBird Wireless controllers that I bought used from a friend years ago that still both work fantastically. "
    Funnily enough, my gamecube controllers were the only ones from last gen where the left stick wore out.

Both my original 360 controller and six-axis have left analog stick that's shot. I also had a problem with my 360's RT, it would occasionalyy act like I'm not pressing it when I was.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Tordah: Pro-tip: Go to home depot and buy the appropriate screw driver for the screws on the back of your controller. Google it, I forgot what it's called. Anyway, just take it apart and clean off the edges of your face buttons if they're getting a bit sticky and unresponsive. Dirt can slide down in the cracks and eventually build up enough to cause friction and make the buttons stick. It's annoying as hell, so I had to take my controller apart and clean it out. Works perfectly now. 

That's the only problem I've ever had though. (at least the only problem that wasn't self-inflicted)
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Tordah
    @JJWeatherman: Thanks. I'll have to look into that. I try to never play with greasy hands but I assume a lot of dust, dead skincells, and other nasty stuff have gathered inside the controller.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wolverine

The only problem I've had is that the sticks get loose after a while. The 360 controllers old up much better than PS3 controllers though.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60

I still have my launch controllers. They still work fine.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WickedCobra03

I think I have went through 2-3 controller since launch in 2005.  I mean I really don't even play it that much, but I think I am on my 3rd now since the last one was so bad that while playing mass effect my shepard would leave cover to the left all the time even when the stick was in the neutral position.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fwylo

I've had mine since launch. With regular use and the dpad on one has started to kind of go, not that it was any good in the first place.  But other than that they are all pretty good still.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By monetarydread

I still use my launch 360 wireless controller all the time. So that is, what, six years old now. The only real difference is the rubber nubs on the stick have worn down. From my experience this is easily the longest lasting controller I have ever used.  

I'm seeing people say that their controllers are not even lasting them a year? I don't understand how that is happening. I am guessing that they have to be abusing them some way or another, either through throwing the thing or jamming on the buttons / sticks too hard.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By WalkerTR77

Left alone, the left analogue stick is slightly off, making characters walk in circles of their own accord. The buttons are fine but the grip on the sticks is completely worn away. 4 year old 360 controller.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By foggel

My right shoulder button is sometimes unresponsive.

The controllers way of telling me that grenade spamming in MW is wrong.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I have two controllers from launch that still work perfectly, alongside my two newer Halo Reach ones. 
    I've had endless troubles with battery packs for the damned things though, I don't know if it's just my bad luck but I've gone through three that have never held a decent charge after the first few weeks.  I just keep my controller connected all the time now.
    Helgi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Helgi

I bought a wireless 360 controller in January 2006 and used it until January this year. The right bumper is sometimes unresponsive and the left stick is really loose. The loose stick didn't really bother me until I played Deadly Premonition. The driving controls in that game are so bad that whenever the stick would drift a millimeter to the left the car in the game would suddenly swerve to the left and crash into the side of the road. It was kind of funny because it reminded me of driving drunk in GTA IV but it got annoying fast. 

I'm currently using my wired controller I got with my launch 360.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fattony12000

Wireless controller number 1 is still going strong, and that's from the 2nd of December, 2005. Sure, it's seen better days; the left trigger squeaks now and again, the left stick will occasionally drift when stationary, the back button is stiff and doesn't always register a press, the left and right bumpers squeak and make a clacking noise when pressed/released, the sticks are worn down to smooth rubber, the rechargeable battery pack lasts about two days at a time now.

Still throwing dark.

Stray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stray

360 controllers don't last for me for whatever reason. I'm on a 4th controller in 4 years. 1 the d pad doesn't really go left without hammering it. 1 the b button sticks and the x on the other. I'm using a new one right now but usually I'll swap them around depending on what game I'm playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After three years my analogue sticks are almost worn smooth and the right stick has developed a slight unresponsive dead zone in the centre. Hardly noticeable most of the time but sometimes it'll get me killed when quick reactions are needed. Gonna pick up a Razer Onza ASAP though so that'll be nice.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ronald
    @WickedCobra03 said:
    " I think I have went through 2-3 controller since launch in 2005.  I mean I really don't even play it that much, but I think I am on my 3rd now since the last one was so bad that while playing mass effect my shepard would leave cover to the left all the time even when the stick was in the neutral position. "
    I bought my newest controller at the beginning of the year due to this for Mass Effect 2. Shepard would slide along cover and then get up moving to the left because the stick was naturally drifting left. I noticed an issue with my first controller when play PB Winterbottom where he would just start walking to the left. I do notice in shooters these issues are never a problem. Probably because I am always using the stick so I am not giving it time to drift. 

I had to replace one PS3 dualshock 3 from it being stuck moving up late last year after having it since Metal Gear Solid 4 came out. .
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By melcene

I've got a couple blacks, a couple whites (the whites being the oldest).  Three have been chewed on by dogs or picked on by the kid, yet all still work mostly fine.  There is some drift on a couple of the controllers occasionally, but other than that, everything works fine.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LongMasterWolf

My controllers usually last about 2 years, but now that I have 7 controllers (I have one 360 upstairs and one downstairs, my gf likes her fable) I use one controller to play FPS games, one for Halo Wars, and another for only single player games.  Its nice having different controllers to change up the feel, plus they look sweet.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scooper

I play Street Fighter on the 360 controller and it ruins the thumbsticks. I'm about to get rid of this second controller now because of it.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By iWonder

Mine usually lasts me until I break them playing Super Meat Boy.  

But seriously, had my last one for about 3 years.

Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Spongetwan

I still have the original controller from launch. The rubber on the analog is definitely worn but still viable.

randallion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By randallion

.......$50.

Problem solved.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Grimluck343

I'm super rough on my controllers but they still last a while. I've just noticed a problem with the right stick on the controller that came with my Elite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Controllers feel fine for me after lots and lots of use, except for one that I used a lot with UT3, where clicking the left stick was the jump. I spammed it to death, (to great effect may I add) and now the stick is really lose and sometimes it registers slight movement when there is none.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Phr4nk0

I've worn down the rubber on my left analogue into some weird oblong shape. It is super loose and squeeks sometimes, with major drift to the left sometimes. A and X buttons are squeeky and sometimes don't register if I'm hitting them in rapid succession. I've had it for more than 3 years and probably play a good deal more hours of xbox than the average gamer. I think it's held up pretty well.

I got a new one last year, but I always just grab the closest one, which sometimes leaves me with the shitty one. I'm usually too lazy to swap so I put up with it for that session lol.

ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ExplodingTuba

The AA battery packs are almost always the first thing that go with my Xbox 360 controllers. They first become loose, and then eventually they just fall out. Don't know why but 3 of mine have done that to date. 

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WickedFather

I'm with the Weather Man.  I used a small rat nosed pliers to snap out the tiny pin in the middle of the screws.  You can use a hex screwdriver or jam in a flat head if it's the right size.  That's what I did the first time to do the pringles mod on my dpad.  I swapped over the sticks, too, to even out the wear pattern.  The top right of the left stick was massively eroded.

I've got a brand new pad that feels like it's from a different console,  It feels plasticky, weird and wrong.  Got it at the same time as my main one but it hasn't been used very much.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheGreatGuero

6 minutes if you're a pro like me.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By Driadon

I have two controllers of roughly 4 years that still work alright. Though I don't use my 360 daily, the first couple of years I nearly did.

gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gbpackers94

I've had two controllers last for about a year and a half and they both work perfectly, although I do notice that the right analog stick on one sticks to the left a little.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.