Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft Drop Natal Chip, Offload Processing To The 360

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Sounds like Microsoft has cut out the touted chip inside of Natal to get costs down, according to GI.biz. That essentially means the actual 360 will be doing the unit's calculations, rumoured to be taking up 10-15% of the console's processing power. What this all means to current development, I'm not sure, you'd have to assume developers would have been aware of this quite recently, but it certainly means the performance of Natal games will now take a hit next to the "standard" game, as the camera will require CPU to run. Also not sure what effect it will have when running on the dashboard.

GamesIndustry.biz has learned that Microsoft has dropped a chip from its forthcoming Natal motion control system as the platform holder eyes accessible price points in the build-up to release later this year.

The chip, which was responsible for processing information for the Natal's 'bone system,' has been removed in favour of a software solution.

However, development sources have indicated to GamesIndustry.biz that the change doesn't have an effect on the existing system lag of about 100ms, while a software solution should enable Microsoft to update the system more quickly and regularly than a hardware solution, meanwhile hitting a previously-speculated price point of sub-USD 50/GBP 50 - although this price rumour has already been scotched by Microsoft's Neil Thompson.

The load previously handled by the chip now falls on one of the main three Xenon processors, but while taking a "percentage" of performance away from the system, most games don't use up 100 per cent of the available processing power anyway.

"The full Natal hardware/sensor combo always looked like an expensive proposition in a market where Microsoft really needs to turn a profit," said Digital Foundry editor Richard Leadbetter. "The notion of offloading the processing to the 360 CPU in the name of lower costs and easier upgradability makes sense.

"Patching up older games to run with the new hardware now looks rather unlikely unless they have the CPU time to spare, but hopefully this will serve to focus developers on Natal-specific concepts as opposed to revisiting old classics."

In the support material for the recent CES keynote by Microsoft, the company hinted that there was no longer an on-chip solution: "A proprietary software layer makes the magic of 'Project Natal' possible. This layer differentiates 'Project Natal' from any other technology on the market through its ability to enable human body recognition and extract other visual noise."

The removal of the chip almost guarantees that non-Natal games won't be patched to include motion control support, a point previously outlined by Microsoft Game Studios' Kudo Tsunoda.

It has also emerged that Microsoft will support developers writing their own code to run the bone system processing in the future.

Motion control is likely to be the key battleground for Xbox and PlayStation platform holders in 2010, with both Natal and the Sony's new motion control system set for release. 

I'm just curious - if the actual game's code is responsible for Natal, does that mean we might see some games working better than others, depending on the actual programming? Also, if the game's code chokes, does that mean input will choke too?

Still, at least Natal is finally starting to come down to Earth after all the hype.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

it kind of sounds like natal is just hype from Microsoft. i'm sure they can fix the problems and get it working. maybe they can like make another chip that has processor that can work with both the 360 and the natal part. if they did then it might make the 360 even more powerful. i doubt they were would do something like that.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Oh, Natal has a 100ms lag?

That's pretty bad.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

This is not that big a deal. A lot of xbox games don't even use the processors completely, microsoft wouldn't do something like that otherwise. 

And yeah I think some things could run better because the communication between the xbox and the natal cam would just be movements, it wouldn't waste time processing then sending them. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

WTF?! The 3DV chip was the main thing!

I'm not exactly interested in it now. Just curious.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Meowayne said:

" Oh, Natal has a 100ms lag?

That's pretty bad. "

I think that must be first on their agenda, maybe even ahead of the actual games. It can't release with lag that big, or it'll just become useless for anything other than extended gestures and jumping around. If they intend to do anything precise with it, they need to cut that by like, what, 90%.

@XII_Sniper: Are you sure? Surely games aim to use 100% of the XBOX's processor, it's just that as programming becomes more efficient, more of the processor becomes available? I just want to know if a code hiccup in the game would fuck up the inputs. I mean, surely right? And will developers be expected to write their own input code based on Microsoft resources?

"It has also emerged that Microsoft will support developers writing their own code to run the bone system processing in the future." -- that's the part that throws me.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ
    @get2sammyb: Well what I'm sayin' is that it took up till Oblivion was made till there was a game that actually used all three processing cores. Now, not all games have to make the retarded-crazy radiant AI stuff work, or process things THAT crazy. I mean more and more often, obviously, due to games just getting better and better, technically, but I really doubt the kindof games that would run with natal (so far not much shown, but back-modding Katamari and Burnout Paradise to run with natal has been done, and they're not the most processor intense games out there) would have really high processor requirements. It shouldn't be a huge detriment, and if it makes Natal cheaper and more accessible to everyone (more adoption rates, at least), then that's great for them, and all the fans of it. Hope it's not cast aside like the camera kinda was, or how the wii motion plus is a little ignored as of late.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

Games nowadays don't take 100% adavantage of the processing power that the Xbox 360 has to offer. Its been said again and again that the game has been "fully maxed out" or utilized for the 360; but the next following year makes the games previously look outdated or poor.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @XII_Sniper said:

" @get2sammyb: Well what I'm sayin' is that it took up till Oblivion was made till there was a game that actually used all three processing cores. Now, not all games have to make the retarded-crazy radiant AI stuff work, or process things THAT crazy. I mean more and more often, obviously, due to games just getting better and better, technically, but I really doubt the kindof games that would run with natal (so far not much shown, but back-modding Katamari and Burnout Paradise to run with natal has been done, and they're not the most processor intense games out there) would have really high processor requirements. It shouldn't be a huge detriment, and if it makes Natal cheaper and more accessible to everyone (more adoption rates, at least), then that's great for them, and all the fans of it. Hope it's not cast aside like the camera kinda was, or how the wii motion plus is a little ignored as of late. "

Oblivion was an early title in the XBOX 360's cycle and it's just not a good example of multi threaded, load balancing across cores.   There are indeed many games that use a lot of the three Xenon CPU clock cycles and it's pretty easy to tell which games they are.  Look at any title that has complex AI or physics, then watch it in motion, if you see slowdown, or frame dropping there's your game that uses most of the XBOX 360's CPU power.  GTA IV is a prime example.

With regards to the "back-modding" as you call it, in those two examples these additions were made to those games with hardware calls out the 3DV chip in the pre production Natal units. That's why it was easy for devs to add Natal support later, because Natal had no negative effects on their games.; it had its own cpu handling all the camera input streams (there are 3) and all the calculation of the IK bones as applied to captured shapes (how it recognises human movement).   Eseentially they just treat it like a controller with profiles loaded for the hand, foot and arm bones to be translating steering and acceleration.  

As this chip will no longer exists, the processing of all that data is now loaded on the 3 Xenon cores and so devs will need to balance out this Natal CPU load with that which their own games need as well.  This in turn will slow Natal support in games to a grinding halt as now developers (unless they are owned by MS or have a strong relationship with them) will want to eat into their own schedules and code crafting processes to support a technology which needs their expertise to run and maintain.  Make no mistake, MS have a made huge error here in dropping the 3DV chip from Natal.  It would be like dropping the built in hardware managed plug and play networking support from the XBOX 360 controllers and having the management and maintenance of that being handled in software and making it the responsibility of software developers.  MS either don't want Natal on the market for some reason (major bugs. performance issues etc) or they will only bundle the 3DV chip with the next XBOX.  Either way I have no faith in Natal now.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ninjakiller

Hurry and die motion controls, hurry and just FUCKING DIE.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

microsoft killed natal when they took the processor out.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By meteora

I wonder how much of a price difference it is leaving or taking out the processor from the Natal unit.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

I'd gladly pay more (assuming there are the games to back it up) for them to do it right. Natal lost quite a bit of potential in cutting back what can be done on the console in the process of trying to make it better. It's annoying because from a business standpoint, it makes a lot of sense, but I still despise money getting in the way of progress every step of the way, as it seems to do.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Meteora said:

" I wonder how much of a price difference it is leaving or taking out the processor from the Natal unit. "

They're aiming for sub-£50 I heard. So that's what, probably going to end up at $50/$60. I'd imagine they've maybe cut the price by half?

Their marketing will probably make people bite whether it actually turns out good or not. Microsoft's XBOX division are marketing masters.
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eclipsesis

The biggest software company in the world won't take a hit for the sake of it customers and sell Natal at a break even price regardless of its hardware, its shows how much they care doesn't it

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By thebeast

Sounds like the decision to cut the chip and do software processing was a good one; reducing costs while keeping the response time low and getting that amount of processing done in only 15% of the Xboxes ageing processor seems like quite a engineering feat. If it means it won't work in existing games, who cares? No one wants this to play Burnout with - they want it so they can play dumb fun tennis games with their families.

If they get this down to a decent price point, get the marketing right and get it out in time for the holidays - I reckon this thing will probably be a huge hit this Christmas. 
    Even if it's awful, even if most of us 'gamers' thing that body waggling is stupid and pointless - the mainstream appeal will probably do wonders for MS and the Xbox brand.

Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Butchio

This could also be a way for Microsoft to keep everyone talking and guessing about Natal and therefore keeping the interest up

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By FireBurger
    @Meteora: There's a difference between not using 100% of the power and using 100% of the power better. One game can both look better and run better than another just because it's optimized better. Just look at Call of Duty with a smooth 60 fps versus something like Army of Two with frame rate drops. It's more a matter of developers figuring out how to squeeze every bit of "juice" out of that 100%, rather than using more of it. If no games were using 100% of the power, then no game should have framerate issues.

Like I said, developers can optimize and squeeze more out of that 100%, but if a lot of developers struggle with doing that now, it's only going to be worse with a 10-15% hit to the maximum processing power.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Then again, Natal games will most likely be far more like Wii Sports than Gears of War, so graphics and processing power are pretty irrelevant.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TheBeast said:

" Sounds like the decision to cut the chip and do software processing was a good one; reducing costs while keeping the response time low and getting that amount of processing done in only 15% of the Xboxes ageing processor seems like quite a engineering feat. If it means it won't work in existing games, who cares? No one wants this to play Burnout with - they want it so they can play dumb fun tennis games with their families. If they get this down to a decent price point, get the marketing right and get it out in time for the holidays - I reckon this thing will probably be a huge hit this Christmas. Even if it's awful, even if most of us 'gamers' thing that body waggling is stupid and pointless - the mainstream appeal will probably do wonders for MS and the Xbox brand. "

Absolutely, but Microsoft already are thin on development houses as it is, if they're turning away "traditional" experiences for Natal, does anyone else feel it could backfire?

I'm just saying like, imagine if Microsoft's big exclusive's this holiday are Halo: Reach, Natal "Sports" and Natal "Fit"? The XBOX isn't a Wii either, no matter how fantastic their software or marketing is, I know one look at the dashboard would put off many Wii-owners. So are they going to overhaul that too? I just can't see how they're going to appeal to two VERY different audiences, which it appears they're absolutely trying to do. And if they're relying on third-party support, aren't they asking a bit much from devs essentially asking them to write their own Natal code, which this quote suggests, "It has also emerged that Microsoft will support developers writing their own code to run the bone system processing in the future." -- I'm not in Microsoft so I don't know anything for sure, but I dunno, I just feel like Natal is finally starting to hit reality after the ridiculous levels of hype based on an application we've seen barely anything of.

How do you make XBOX for Gran when XBOX has always been for teenage frat-boy shooter fan, without isolating either? I'm glad I'm not in charge of that problem, because someone at Microsoft certainly is.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Evilsbane

Very disappointing to hear, I am not quite as hateful as ninjakiller but yea at this point I just want good fun games I don't need some POS camera that just IS NOT going to work right, Me waving my right arm takes alot more time and energy than just pressing the damn A button, IF they got it working Flawlessly then MAYBE but it isn't, it's gonna be the Wii all over again it will seem novel and cool then you realize its worthless compared to standard controls.

Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to stand in front of my TV and pull a trigger and feel like a badass but its just going to be 2 or 3 hours of fighting the controls then punting the camera in the yard. I like MS I love my 360 but this whole Wii bandwagon BS has got to stop.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Tally_Pants

I have a feeling this Natal thing is going to be about as successful as the Virtual Boy was 10 yrs ago... It'll have 5 launch games that are decent and no 3rd party support... then one day it'll just disappear off game shelves and then 6 months later you'll be rooting throught the $15 bin at wal-mart and you'll stumble across one.. think to yourself "oh yeah!! i remember this thing" then immediately put it back in the bin and buy Tomb Raider Legend instead 

better yet! MS should just buy the rights to the Power Glove and try that one again.. i'm sure the second time around it'd be a huge success!! 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

"Cheaper" is a relative term. Will the RRODs Natal causes be worth the savings?

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By thebeast
    @get2sammyb: Yeah, I can certainly see the attempts to appeal to two audiences being a problem, but I hardly think its down to the user experience - sure the dashboard isn't the most magnificent piece of interface design, but gran can put the 'Natal Sports' disk in the drive just as easily as Mr. Frat-Boy can start up Halo. 

If a problem's going to come from the market segmentation, then I think it'll probably be more of a resource problem; not enough first-party dev studios or not enough marketing dollars to reach both audiences - but if there's anything Microsoft's got a lot of, it's resources and money - and if this is a chance to expand their brands and get a share of that Nintendo casual market, then they're going to use it.  
    They also do surprisingly well at inter-department communication and marketing - it's not going to be a challenge for them to move some of that revenue that Natal software makes to their marketing department to pay off some of the bigger game studios (Bioware, etc.) to pump out some more exclusives. 

I reckon they've got some first-party developer, probably Rare, working on some 'Natal Sports' type thing which they'll be using for their major marketing drive starting at E3 - we probably won't see much third-party stuff until 2011.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TheBeast: I live a few miles down the road from Rare, and word is they're putting 100% of their resources into Natal, full-stop. They were even advertising in general games magazines (not trade ones) for "fresh thinkers," no experience necessary.

I know someone who writes for British magazine GamesTM and he's seen some of what they're working on, but won't tell me exactly what. Rumours emerged recently that they'd scrapped one project they'd been working on though.

I think we'll definitely see a fitness game and a mini-game compilation at launch without doubt.

Microsoft are said to be putting "console launch" levels of marketing into this thing. I just still can't see them keeping everyone happy, we'll have to wait and see.

The more I hear about Natal though, the more I absolutely think it's 100% designed with the Wii market in mind. There ain't no way this is being made with the current XBOX audience in mind, as some people initially considered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.