Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

What's harder to get really good at?

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

This dude on this non-gaming site is arguing with me about which is harder...

He even said this...

"Call of Duty is the hardest multi-player game on the console (maybe aside from WaW, which I do NOT play...fuck WW2)"

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#3  Edited By ImperiousRix

I've always felt Halo was more about rushing to the higher end weapons and twitch gameplay, while Call of Duty is overall a more difficult game to get into.
    I feel both have their own niches, though.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I personally think Halo 3. Just watch the MLG events...

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By cloneslayer

halo, i played halo as much as COD4 (both a lot) and sucked at the first rocked at the second

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By fr0br0

It's easier to be good at Halo than Call of Duty. But harder to be great at Halo than Call of Duty. Take that as you will.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seedofpower

I never really played Cod 4 on console but after a very long period of time of not playing halo 3 and getting back into it. It felt like I haven't stopped playing at all.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cloneslayer
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    " It's easier to be good at Halo than Call of Duty. But harder to be great at Halo than Call of Duty. Take that as you will. "
    I actually like that. I got good at Halo but never could get to the top (got some 40-45 ranks but never up into 50s) but I could play all day and top every match in COD4, it just takes a while to get to that lvl
    MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MetalR

I always sucked at Halo 3, I'm average in Call of Duty 4.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Player1

Call of Duty is a game that you can just jump into and have about a 1.00 K/D ratio. 

Halo 3 is a game where you jump in and find youself with a .50 k/d ratio.

Its a combination of more skilled players on halo 3, and I think also the fact that it takes more bullets to kill in halo attributes to the steep learning curve. Halo 3 takes more thinking and planning to. Wether or not to rush to a skill/power weapon, or sit back with AR/BR and try to get kills that way. As opposed to COD4 in where you start with your personal best weapon every time. 

But really it depends on your definition of "good". Is a level 25 "good" at halo. If so, I would have to change my answer. 

I set the bar of "good" around 35-40 range. Once you get to around 45 in that game it just gets insane. 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pweidman

Halo has so many more variables, like weapons available every game and vehicles for instance.  Also, more defensive varables with shields, vis and shield upgrades, as well as the bounce and shake stuff.  Both are fun to be clear, but Halo is more difficult and the learning curve is much longer imo.  Hence my vote for Halo 3.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I say CoD4 is easier because its based on camping

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGremp

It's impossible to "get good" at Halo.  I don't own the game, and only play it like twice a year if my friends convince me to play it.  Yet every time, I own everyone online...  People are like "How the fuck did you get so good?" but I simply had the better weapon and faster reflexes.  There's no skill level to improve with the game...  It's a massive game of "Hold RT and jump in circles until one of us dies", making the game almost totally based on what weapon you have.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @TheGremp said:
    " It's impossible to "get good" at Halo.  I don't own the game, and only play it like twice a year if my friends convince me to play it.  Yet every time, I own everyone online...  People are like "How the fuck did you get so good?" but I simply had the better weapon and faster reflexes.  There's no skill level to improve with the game...  It's a massive game of "Hold RT and jump in circles until one of us dies", making the game almost totally based on what weapon you have. "
    What level did you get too?
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By End_Boss
    @TheGremp said:
    " It's impossible to "get good" at Halo.  I don't own the game, and only play it like twice a year if my friends convince me to play it.  Yet every time, I own everyone online...  People are like "How the fuck did you get so good?" but I simply had the better weapon and faster reflexes.  There's no skill level to improve with the game...  It's a massive game of "Hold RT and jump in circles until one of us dies", making the game almost totally based on what weapon you have. "
    Dude, Gremp, despite the joy of our L4D sessions, I emphatically disagree with you here, and question the legitimacy of your judging the game, since, in your own words, you only play "like twice a year."

That being said, my vote went to COD4, though I'm sure arguments could be made for either game. I would also like for it to be known that I am fully aware of the horrid abuse of commas in my first sentence. No, I will not fix it.
    Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Metasin

If you are only playing twice a year I've got to assume you are either pretty low ranked or playing unranked matches so you wouldn't exactly be playing against the best players Halo has to offer.

I think being good at either involves different things. High level COD is about super fast reaction times, high level Halo is about knowing spawn locations and weapon timers.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw  Online

Call of Duty's MP has always been harder for me simply because of the color schemes used.  I have a hard time differentiating friend from enemy.  Halo 3 makes this easy.  I still pretty much suck at it, just not so much as Call of Duty.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By fugie7

iv say halo is harder. 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK

Halo 3 is lightyears "harder". you don;t notice this though, because it uses an effective ranking system that does a good job of seperating good players from bad. Anyone saying Call of duty 4 needs to have a taste of high level halo 3. 40+ MLG and squad battle is tremendously difficult to master. Comparing it to call of duty 4 is just obscene

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By captain_clayman

Halo 3 is easy to get into but hard to master

but COD4 holy shit that game made me cry like a little girl when i first tried it.  I'm better at it now (somewhat, most of the time i'm just lucky) but the game is still hard.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGremp
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @TheGremp said:
    What level did you get too? "
    Well I haven't played much single player, but I played some 2 player co-op on Heroic in some of the later levels.  Not sure which ones though.

@End_Boss said:
    " @TheGremp said:
    Dude, Gremp, despite the joy of our L4D sessions, I emphatically disagree with you here, and question the legitimacy of your judging the game, since, in your own words, you only play "like twice a year."That being said, my vote went to COD4, though I'm sure arguments could be made for either game. I would also like for it to be known that I am fully aware of the horrid abuse of commas in my first sentence. No, I will not fix it. "
    It's true that I barely play, so I might not have a full scope of the game, but in the few experiences I've had with the game, it's been extremely simple and weapon based.  I noticed that the second I got a decent weapon, I began owning like a maniac...  But when I just had a weak starter weapon, I was dying constantly.  So I decided to just hunt for good weapons, and quickly won each round by using that strategy.

It may just be my taste in shooters, but I prefer shooters with balanced weapons and no vehicles.  It becomes much more strategic and skill-based when you have to decide on a weapon based solely on what position you're in.  A perfect example would be Team Fortress 2.  There is no "best" class, but the choice comes down to which class you're best with, and what kind of help your team needs at that moment.

btw I constantly spam and abuse commas.  I attempt to hold back from using them to much, but alas, I can't.

c0ncubine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By c0ncubine

Halo 3 is a terrible game compared to Call of Duty 4, in fact, they shouldn't even be compared because of Halo 3's utter shitty-ness.

It's a lot harder to be at a professional level on Call of Duty than Halo 3 mainly because Call of Duty 4 is a lot less forgiving. You can't jump off 200 foot cliffs and survive, nor can you take 300 bullets before dying, and in Call of Duty, grenades actually work

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bubahula
    @c0ncubine said:
    "Halo 3 is a terrible game compared to Call of Duty 4, in fact, they shouldn't even be compared because of Halo 3's utter shitty-ness. "

lol wow you should really be on the gametrailers comments... you, get off my internet
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By End_Boss
    @c0ncubine said:
    " Halo 3 is a terrible game compared to Call of Duty 4, in fact, they shouldn't even be compared because of Halo 3's utter shitty-ness. It's a lot harder to be at a professional level on Call of Duty than Halo 3 mainly because Call of Duty 4 is a lot less forgiving. You can't jump off 200 foot cliffs and survive, nor can you take 300 bullets before dying, and in Call of Duty, grenades actually work "
    Yes, because as we all know, Halo 3 has a strong foothold in reality and attempts to simulate actual combat at every opportunity.
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Depends on who you are playing with.

zander1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zander1123

there are 3 reasons why i think halo is harder to get better at. At least 2 of them i think have been mentioned already

First is the fact that in CoD you cant shoot and kill your own teammates, this might not seem like a big deal but it allows a player to not half to worry about friendly fire when they are running in to Rambo some people. While in Halo when you are playing a MLG or Hardcore match you need to focus on where you team mates are alot more, plus what is going on around you. 

Second is the physics engine used in halo. It is completed different then all the Cod games in the way that the greades bounch and where you can jump from , how far to throw things, etc etc. while in Cod because there is no second bounce on grenades it makes it alot easier to know where it is going to end up.

Third is the wepons, say what you want about how some wepons in halo are overpowered but here is the thing everyone has an equal chance to get them. Instead in Cod you start out with your best wepon almost every time which for the people at the lower levels of multiplayer makes it harder for them. 
    Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
    snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By snoopeasystreet

It depends on what level your playing at. 

Halo is easier to get into and mess around with in the social playlists but gets incredibly competitive in the hardcore. The playlist/rank mechanic means that most people can hop in and have fun, regardless of skill.

Call of Duty is more of a mixed bag. People of all skill levels are (usually) heaped into the one game. Meaning that new players can suffer due to lack perks and weapons available. Once players make it over this hump, they usually find the game reasonably easy.

So, in conclusion, Halo is easier to get into but is much more difficult to play competitivly. Call of Duty is harder to start off in, but will get easier over time.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Azteck
    @c0ncubine said:
    " Halo 3 is a terrible game compared to Call of Duty 4, in fact, they shouldn't even be compared.
    You're right, they shouldn't be compared. But not because of the reasons you stated, but because they are nothing alike aside from the fact that there's a gun in your hand.

Don't make a fool out of yourself.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

I would probably say Halo 3, but I don't even know why I am posting because I pretty sick of these threads.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By grilledcheez

It depends on your opponents...if you go back to Cod 4 now at certain times of the day you will be playing with amazing players.  Overall, I feel Halo 3 takes more experience and is therefore harder because you have to pick up weapons...that's it.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I didn't think either one of those was hard.  They are both pretty much a run&gun game. I guess it all depends on who is playing against you.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By carlthenimrod

Halo 3, only because you have to go out and find the weapons whereas in Call of Duty 4 you can just pick whatever. Also the starting guns are pretty decent.

But really, who cares. It doesn't matter.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kmdrkul
    @c0ncubine said:
    " Halo 3 is a terrible game compared to Call of Duty 4, in fact, they shouldn't even be compared because of Halo 3's utter shitty-ness. It's a lot harder to be at a professional level on Call of Duty than Halo 3 mainly because Call of Duty 4 is a lot less forgiving. You can't jump off 200 foot cliffs and survive, nor can you take 300 bullets before dying, and in Call of Duty, grenades actually work "
    GiantBomb prides itself on not having many retarded fanboys.  Please leave now.
    DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeadMan

1.82 KD ratio in COD 4 and 1.83 in COD: WAW,  1.05 in Halo 3......hmmm...which one is harder?

c0ncubine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By c0ncubine
    @kmdrkul said:
    " @c0ncubine said:
    GiantBomb prides itself on not having many retarded fanboys.  Please leave now. "

Would you like me to explain why Halo is an inferior game? I think you've mistaken me for a retarded fanboy, while you seem to be the retard because I actually gave some reasons to support to general topic and I'll give you some reasons why Halo isn't as good as Call of Duty.

First off, the graphics in Halo are very Mediocre, textures are pretty grainy and smudgy and the colors(with the exception of a few levels) are very monotone, kind of like World at War, same colors over and over again, in fact, the most colorful things in the game are often the clusterfuck of master chiefs running around. Another thing is the level design and gameplay. The level design in Halo is absolutely terrible and often consists of a multiple leveled struction consisting of 2 basic polygons, Squares, and rectangles. Because of this level design, it very much so hinders the overall gameplay, and results in the thing I hate most about this game. When you get shot at, you can't go prone, you can't sprint, you can't throw stuns/flashbangs, the only thing you can really do is jump which is absolutely retarded because you literally jump 40 feet in the air, and it's funny because people say this game takes skill, whereas often all it consists of is shooting a whole clip at a guy, jumping, throw all your nades and if they aren't dead try as hard as you can to melee them because it's more efficient that reloading because his shield will be recharged anyways.

The only thing I can honestly say I envy over Call of Duty 4 is the matchmaking, Call of Duty 4's is pretty good, it's by no means amazing but its not as bad as Gears of War 2's, but Halo's is actually very good, and while its almost the same style as GoW2's, it takes not nearly as long to find a game and you can get your match prefences incredibley specific.

Other than that, garbage game.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NickL
    @Fr0Br0 said:
    " It's easier to be good at Halo than Call of Duty. But harder to be great at Halo than Call of Duty. Take that as you will. "
    this exactly
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK
    @c0ncubine said:
    " It's a lot harder to be at a professional level on Call of Duty than Halo 3 mainly because Call of Duty 4 is a lot less forgiving. You can't jump off 200 foot cliffs and survive, nor can you take 300 bullets before dying, and in Call of Duty, grenades actually work "
    Actually that's becasue there IS no "professional level" for call of duty 4. UNlike halo 3, which has the MLG events (Which are boring and stupid all the same)
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By natetodamax

Call Of Duty takes no skill at all, which is part of the reason why I love it so much. You can kill someone with every gun in the game by pulling the trigger once in their general direction.

Namesti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Namesti

Personally i think halo is harder in the sense that after levels 35-40 it gets pretty much obsesive people spend way too much time to get all of the dumb little quirks in the game, i like COD4 a lot better and i think that the way the difficulty curve is presented is a lot better, but hey it all depends on what are you looking for if you want skills like aim and fast precision i'd say COD is harder, but if youre looking for the game that makes you memorize the most things like spawn points and weapon locations just to win than halo is the hardest.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Halo for sure, in Halo 3 you must learn to work as a team, in Call Of Duty one person can easily go clutch.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Philantrophy

Halo 3, some people are crazy good in that game. But both are enjoyable if you dont play very much. Halo 3 does match you up with players with the same skill, but its gets difficult when you reach the higher skill level. There is always social slayer.....

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wolverine

I'd say Halo is harder to get good at. It is pretty easy to kill someone in COD 4 but in Halo it takes a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.