Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 power cord without the brick?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I recently moved and lost one half of the power cord for my Xbox 360.  Thankfully, it's the cord with the female end that plugs into the brick and the male end for the power strip.  Does anyone know where I can buy this cord?  I've looked on Amazon, but most of their cords are listed with the power bricks and are ridiculously expensive.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Try eBay, other than that I don't know.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

That power brick is part of what turned me off from getting a 360, it weighs as much as the console itself!.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

The cord that actually plugs into the brick is the same type of cord that you plug into computer towers.  The cord that came with my console crocked so I switched it with an old PC power cord I didn't use.

Where to buy one?  All I can think of his eBay or Amazon.  You could try looking at computer stores to see if they have one.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By OldGuy

Go here: linky (MonoPrice is great for all your cable needs).

They'll fit just fine (the 360 power block doesn't use the ground, but that doesn't matter).

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Mikemcn said:

" That power brick is part of what turned me off from getting a 360, it weighs as much as the console itself!. "

silliest reason i've heard so far!
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw:
    your best bet is to just find somebody online who'll sell you one (or give it to you free, hopefully) from a busted 360. i'm sure lots of people have old power cords from broken 360 systems lying around that they aren't using.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By haggis
    @JJOR64: I've seen them at Walmart, too. It's a really common part. Any office store like Staples would carry them as well.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikemcn
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

" That power brick is part of what turned me off from getting a 360, it weighs as much as the console itself!. "

@Sparky_Buzzsaw: your best bet is to just find somebody online who'll sell you one (or give it to you free, hopefully) from a busted 360. i'm sure lots of people have old power cords from broken 360 systems lying around that they aren't using. "
    Dude, that power brick is fucking gigantic and you know it.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sjupp
    @Mikemcn said:
    Man..
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64
    @haggis said:
    " @JJOR64: I've seen them at Walmart, too. It's a really common part. Any office store like Staples would carry them as well. "
    Walmart would be a good place to look.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OldGuy

You can also get them at Radio Shack (oh, excuse me, "The Shack") for ~$9.

Can't seem to find them on the Best Buy website, but you'd think they'd have 'em (I'm willing to bet they have a giant box in the back room with 100 or so extras left over from repairs and that sort of thing).

You could ask anyone who works with a lot of computers if they have an extra one lying around (I must have 10 or so around the house and the said giant box of 100 here at work).

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Mikemcn:  i know, but it takes up a lot less room than, say, my refrigerator. even if it bothered me aesthetically it's easy enough to hide. all i'm saying is, letting a power brick be the sticking point on buying an electronic item that you want is weird and pretty dumb actually.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikemcn
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @Mikemcn:  i know, but it takes up a lot less room than, say, my refrigerator. even if it bothered me aesthetically it's easy enough to hide. all i'm saying is, letting a power brick be the sticking point on buying an electronic item that you want is weird and pretty dumb actually. "
    Yea i know its kinda of weak but there were other things as well.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Jadeskye

We call those cables 'kettle plugs' in the tech universe. you can get them in the UK for pennies, the US should be no different =) try electrical outlet stores and E-tailers.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @Mikemcn:  i know, but it takes up a lot less room than, say, my refrigerator. even if it bothered me aesthetically it's easy enough to hide. all i'm saying is, letting a power brick be the sticking point on buying an electronic item that you want is weird and pretty dumb actually. "
    Not really, I was recently shopping for a new laptop and the model that had the lightest and smallest brick sealed the deal. But that's laptop land, where you need to have everything light and actually portable. But it still stands against your arguement.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @Mikemcn said:
    Ya thats one of the stupidest things I've read today, thanks.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Thanks for all the advice, folks.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Does anyone know if one could jerry rig a 360 to a PC PSU?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DystopiaX

what pisses me off is that they don't resell the whole powerbrick/cord configuration when i've known more than a few people whose powercords have broken. They either had to send their whole damn console into the repair center (which is retarded but MS customer service is shit, ridiculously hard to contact an actual person) or buy sketchy used ones on ebay.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

u can just get the cord anywhere. it is just the AC to plug in part if i read it right.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Snapstacle said:

" @chrissedoff said:

Not really, I was recently shopping for a new laptop and the model that had the lightest and smallest brick sealed the deal. But that's laptop land, where you need to have everything light and actually portable. But it still stands against your arguement. "
    nope! it might if you could buy a similarly priced alternate version of the 360 with a smaller brick or no brick at all, but otherwise it's pretty much apples and oranges! you yourself even recognize the portability factor involved. so yeah, no. good try making sense out of this power brick obsession though!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

Oh man I have like a dozen of those cables. And you can't have a single one! THEY'RE ALL MINE!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @chrissedoff said:

" it's pretty much apples and oranges! "

@chrissedoff said: 

" an electronic item "  

Look before you leap!
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @OldGuy said:
    " You can also get them at Radio Shack (oh, excuse me, "The Shack") for ~$9.  Can't seem to find them on the Best Buy website, but you'd think they'd have 'em (I'm willing to bet they have a giant box in the back room with 100 or so extras left over from repairs and that sort of thing).  You could ask anyone who works with a lot of computers if they have an extra one lying around (I must have 10 or so around the house and the said giant box of 100 here at work). "
    Is it really "The Shack" now? Cause that's mad lame.
    Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Sanryd

Be careful though, not all those cords will fit all bricks. I know mine is shaped differently. (can't remember exactly how, I don't have w/ me atm) I found out the hard way when I purposely left it behind knowing I had a million PC power cables where I was going only to find it was different.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By nintendoeats

Don't you just HAVE one? I swear we have enough of those lying around that we could strip them and use the wire to build a  working scale model of the internet.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By nintendoeats
    @JJWeatherman: In Canada it's called "The Source by Circuit City" (I refuse to call it this and people get made at me. I think its strange that people can get so worked up about me taking stances on minor issues. It seems somehow hypocritical)

So count your blessings, and never forget that it COULD be called Tandy. And that would be awesome.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Snapstacle: think before you stubbornly defend with pedantic nitpicking what was by your own admission not that good of a point in a fairly pointless argument
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Andorski
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @chrissedoff said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

@Sparky_Buzzsaw: your best bet is to just find somebody online who'll sell you one (or give it to you free, hopefully) from a busted 360. i'm sure lots of people have old power cords from broken 360 systems lying around that they aren't using. "
    Dude, that power brick is fucking gigantic and you know it. "
    You think too negatively.  You see a big ass attachment to the 360's power cord.  I see a convenient foot warmer to use when I play on cold days.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @chrissedoff:  Definitely a pointless argument now. Let's bask in the wisdom of the 80's and 90's:
     Take a chill pill!
     Take a chill pill!
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikemcn
    @Andorski said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @chrissedoff said:
    " @Mikemcn said:

Dude, that power brick is fucking gigantic and you know it. "
    You think too negatively.  You see a big ass attachment to the 360's power cord.  I see a convenient foot warmer to use when I play on cold days. "
    Ok, I surrender, Androski has proved the error in my ways. haha
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jack_daniels
    @Mikemcn:  I didn't get the PS3 because PS also stands for Phone Sex!
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jack_daniels
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw:  I would just make one. Just get a cheep soldering iron at walmart and get a PC power cord. You wont be able to remove it from the brick but its the cheapest solution.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Jack_Daniels:
    That's essentially what I did.  I had a spare cord, and all I needed to do was cut out a little plastic.  Didn't even need to solder it, just did a little cutting with an exacto knife.  Worked like a charm.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.