Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft Will Announce its New Console Next Month

• 193 results
    Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Zekhariah

Next gen = full screen ads, XBox gold members can press the "skip" button after 5 seconds of viewing?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By jozzy

This reveal date wouldn't be a response to all the recent shit talking against the next Xbox now would it.

I don't think it is, this is probably planned months ago. The shit talking could actually be really beneficial to Microsoft if the reality prove to be less damning than the rumors suggest.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

Not that I was terribly interested, but I probably would've watched this if I wasn't at work at the time. 1pm EST on a Tuesday? Something bad is coming out of this isn't it?

Or they hope to accommodate places outside of the US, which is probably a smart idea.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@msavo said:

Bought a 360 on a whim a year ago and was probably my worst gaming purchase ever. All my third party games are PC while I have Playstation and Nintendo for exclusives. The thing is a dust magnet. That coupled with Microsoft's latest product output (Windows Phone, Windows 8 and Surface), the horrible always online rumours and the utter disdain coming from the indie developer community I just don't see this box appealing me.

That said if they have a McDonalds app with the Kinect 2.0 functionality I might be interested.

Xbox Live Arcade is the only redeeming feature for the 360 that I can think of, there's literally no reason to own one anymore unless all your friends happen to own one as well. The only reasons to own an Xbox are XBLA and it's large install base, the system has nothing else to offer that the PS3 and Wii U don't already offer (and for free as well)

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interested in seeing what they do next but after my box breaking down twice and the lack of 1st party content that interests me can't see myself jumping in on this one. Still competition breeds creativity looking forward to how the new cycle plays out.

kieran_smith5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@weslash: expect them to double down on Kinect. It has been extremely profitable for them, so why the hell not. If the sensor is included with the hardware, developers have no excuse not to innovate, and use it to its full potential, because the install base is there.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@wolfhazard said:

Hell yes I can't wait. Now I start crossing my fingers a pray its backwards compatible and achievements carry over. Also, for the love of god let us delete achievements and game history from our tag. I'd pay a thousand dollars for that alone.

I was going to post about the announcement, but now you've got me curious about what game you could be so embarrassed about that you'd pay $1000 to have it stricken from the record.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59  Edited By Zevvion

I can't see microsoft pushing Kinect that much, they realize that mass casual crowd has moved on to iPad and Facebook games. And you have games like COD, Skyrim and GTA making over a billion dollars in sales.

From what I've read, the Kinect actually made them allot of money. It was pretty flawed to say the least. Making a Kinect that actually works right could potentially make even more money? I don't know, I actually think they'll go heavy on Kinect.

Like, shipped with every unit, encouraging games to use it- heavy.

And I don't know, maybe a proper working Kinect wouldn't be all bad as long as it won't force you to play the games we all like with it.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By GalacticPunt

"The Kinect720 will use pheromone-sensing nanobots to detect when you are hungry, then orders the pizza FOR YOU. The next generation begins here!"

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I gave my girlfriend a Major Nelson the other night, let me tell you, brother.

Those sheets will never be clean again.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By colourful_hippie
    Snakepond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's about time.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By dr_mantas
    Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This caters to my interests!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jimbo

"Microsoft Will Announce its New Console Next Month"

They've just done that, Alex. Keep up.

fmprodguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow haters gonna hate huh.

(insert slightly lame, populous, "can't we all get along" style phrase here.)

spiralsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By spiralsin

@draxyle said:

I'm starting to doubt the thing will actually be released this year, with how little access outside developers have with the thing and how "recent" the last halo game was.

But I'm really curious as to what that system will even be. I don't think Halo can carry the system on its own again, and they don't really have much in the way of other notable first party studios. I just can't see them pulling a miracle and producing tons of exclusive games out of nowhere like Sony is doing. Everything about the last couple years of the 360 makes it seem like they're pulling out of the hardcore gaming market entirely.

One thing I'm putting money on, they're going to name the thing in such a way that we wish it was called the Xbox 720.

I have a similar interest. I'm curious to see what new "hardcore" AAA exclusives , if any, Microsoft plans to bring out this generation. I don't care if "Durango" can brew my coffee and do my laundry...it all comes down to the games. For most of this generation, MS rode the popularity of Halo, Gears of War, and maybe Forza and Fable.

If their only plan is to shovel out more sequels to those IP's again next gen, then I'll pass. That might be good enough for some folks, but I think I've had my fill. I'd like to see them take some risks and stop relying on the "sure thing". Otherwise, I think Sony may be in a better position with their strong indie developer backing and their first party studios.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weslash said:

please no kinect

Prepare to be disappointed, sir

tcsajax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its about damn time. Their marketing/PR let Sony go to long without a response. Especially with all the rumors flying around about the next Xbox.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71  Edited By KaneRobot

People saying "ABOUT TIME!" or "what took them so long?!" are weird...either that, or they don't remember history. Just because Sony went out way ahead of time doesn't mean Microsoft ever planned to do anything other than what we're seeing now. This is almost exactly the same way they premiered the 360 (mid-May, shortly before E3).

Whether it's arrogance, not giving a shit about what Sony does, or refusing to budge from a plan they are confident in, who knows. But this is pretty much exactly what I expected, regardless of Sony's February stuff.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By crusader8463

I will be interested in seeing how this turns out. I have zero interest in the thing going in and I wonder if they will say anything that will get me to leave excited for it. So far all the rumours are exactly line by line the exact opposite of what I want in a console. Though to be fair I only play console games for their exclusives so I will be keeping my fingers crossed this will be the generation where we see true platform agnostic games that come out on everything so I can avoid the dam things all together.

cheishxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to finally get past the rumors and speculation and start talking about real shit!

Maybe it's just me but I'm super excited to see how they handle the next version of kinect now that (I'm assuming) it'll come with every xbox and won't be hamstrung by USB 2.0 limitations. Hopefully they spend a decent amount of the presentation talking about games instead of just casual living room features (though those are just as important)

CurtMan2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

About Fucking Time Microsoft, friggin known about Sony since February, what took you idiots so long... aside from that i'm excited to see what they have, besides Kinect 2.0 and an Always On Console. Let's see if Xbox can provide a good enough Bribe to change my mind on Buying a PS4 first. Balls in your Court Microsoft Studios and Xbox makers. Getting a Wii U this summer after E3 or if they announce a cheaper Redesign then i'll wait til that comes out. I'm on board with Nintendo and Sony Computer Entertainment America so far. the order of getting consoles will be determined on whether Sony or Microsoft have the better all around package. i will get all home consoles eventually as i'm a Gamer 4 life. still and always will be a Nintendo Fanboy first, as my First System was a Nintendo Entertainment System and first two games i beat were Super Mario Bros. 2(us version) and The Legend of Zelda(NES).

#CurrentSystems

Nintendo 3DSxL PlayStation Network (PS3) and Xbox 360(live Gold)

#usernames if u wanna be buddies online in games:

@curtman2k7 on here and @Curtman2k20 on Twitter/Facebook/Google+/PS3/Xbox360/Origin and @DustyCurtman3rd on Steam and YouTube.

#Raptr.com you can find me at DustyCurtman3rd...if you love Achievements and Trophies and wanna know how you rank, join in at raptr.com and they also have a streaming App for you streamers out their.

peace and god speed...

#DC3

Dusty CurtMan the 3rd aka Curtis Willard Jr

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No Caption Provided

I want the return of the king

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@recspec said:

Not that I was terribly interested, but I probably would've watched this if I wasn't at work at the time. 1pm EST on a Tuesday? Something bad is coming out of this isn't it?

It's 10AM Pacific, which is Microsoft's home time zone. I don't see anything particularly off with the date and time, but they're certainly taking their sweet time with turning reveal into an event. And only weeks before E3.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#77  Edited By elko84

I'm hoping that they start the unveiling by ordering pizza. :)

The next Xbox will come with a coupon for a free pizza that you can then order using the Xbox Pizza App.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Cluter

@lively: This is EXACTLY how I feel. I skipped the PS this gen, and from everything I've seen/heard so far, I'll be making the switch by next year. Also this will help with my decision:

Loading Video...

LARGE.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Fun stuff! Stoked to see what Microsoft has in store. The Playstation 4 event was a pleasant surprise.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By dvorak

~~~ THE ~~~ Xbox.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#81  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@driveuplife said:

it will be shaped like an inhale.

I appreciate this comment.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TrafalgarLaw
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The possibilities are endless, some might even say they are . . . infinite

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#84  Edited By rargy

Good timing. That's one day before my xbox live gold membership expires. Now they can convince me to keep it.

retsub101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'll be in Tokyo at the time so I'll miss the live event, oh well. :(

I predict:

1. Always on internet connection (WiFi only) that will be necessary to play any game.
    2. Kinect 2.0 functionality will be required for every game.
    3. Aggressive advertising will assault you from every system level menu.
    4. Xbox Live membership fees will double.
    5. Built in Facebook & Twitter functionality will be required for every game.
    6. No more optical drive. Download only for all software.
    7. Zero backwards compatibility.
    8. You guys like new Halo & CoD games?
    9. How about slammin' Dew's & dumb twelve year old's on voice chat?
    10. The Netflix app will still suck.

GO TEAM MICROSOFT!!!

Avatar image for thekitkatshuffler
    thekitkatshuffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6pm in the UK? Perfect!

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft takes the opposite approach to Sony and use this event to talk a lot about the box and how it will be a tv/media box and then use E3 to show off the games. Which might not be a great initial strategy to appeal to gamers but is an overall solid plan. I think E3 should be about games not people reacting and complaining about kinect and tv functionality.

i think they've done it because Sony will show their machine at E3 and they dont feel like going head to head at the same event.

what i dont get is why only america and canada are getting the broadcast.. such a bitch move again to deny the rest of the world the same privilege.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#88  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont mind an always online console, as long as the makers of that console dont mind paying for the bandwidth they use to download crap I don't want.

Also, I doubt, even if it is always online, they will say so. With all the features the PS4 has it could easily require always online. But they never said it didn't.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

If Xbox Infinity turns out to be the real name, Disney, Comcast and Irrational might have a few things to say. Although if Comcast is partnering with Microsoft, it would make total sense.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

About freakin' time. I just want to know what is up with the thing so we can put a end to all the speculation bs which everyone on the internet has got pissed about.

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By SleepyDoughnut
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It'll be 3am and I'll bloody well be there.

I predict;

• The Xbox ∞ rumoured name is probably true
    • The leaked specs on vgleaks are true
    • The always online requirement is probably true though I hope it isn't
    • The SOC xbox 360 inside allowing for 100% BC and OS background processing is true
    • Kinect 2.0 in every box is true
    • No used games is true (and though I feel for people who do buy used games, I kinda hope MS has the balls to do this)
    • HDD-install required for all games is true
    • It will have a Bluray drive but not play Blurays

(just wanted to put it down in writing to look back on later)

Zephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoyed watching the Sony PS4 live stream. Great commentary from GIantbomb. Should be good fun to watch the new Xbox stream. One thing that I find interesting though is that it's so close to E3. Wonder how much stuff they are going to save for that, otherwise it's just going to be a load of recycled news

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By BaneFireLord

I predict....

1. That the "always online" rumors are going to be total bullshit. There is no way in hell Microsoft is that suicidal.

2. That the reason why they have not been courting indie developers is because the system is going to be fully integrated with the Windows 8 app store environment, and thus any apps developed for tablets or phones or whatever will automatically be compatible for the service. With such a low barrier to entry for aspiring developers, Microsoft doesn't see any need to go out hunting. I have no idea whether such a move will be successful or not in the long run, but that's the way it's going to work.

3. We will see a game developed by Rockstar, a game developed by Bethesda and the next COD game at the press conference, but the press conference will be far more about the various services provided on the system than about the games.

4. That there will be no backwards compatibility

5. That the system will have an Apple TV-esque ability that allows you to stream videos and games from a Windows 8 device to the system.

6. That the controller will only be incrementally updated (perhaps with a better D-Pad) and that the system will support the old controllers. The 360 controller is too ubiquitous in industries outside of just gaming (e.g. the military) to be tossed to the wayside.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't understand why they're waiting this long.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't understand why they're waiting this long.

They could be changing software to allow games and apps to run offline, trying to scrape together some features or hardware upgrades to rival the PS4, or just making sure that they'll have a finalized design for the box since people criticized Sony for not showing theirs.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

And this community complains that the bombcrew is super jaded and cynical. Just look at the fucking comments on this article...They probably got it from you guys.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By clumsyninja1

i'm hoping they lock used games for those cheapos out there. Also who doesn't have internet these days.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don Mattrick ? Ugh.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Funkydupe

I'm excited. I like big video game events. I have no way of knowing which console is going to be the better one, if any, as they'll both have positives and negatives when compared. I'll most likely end up getting both at some point. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.