Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One - Must be Online Once Every 24 Hours

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By reisz

@jimbo said:

@reisz said:

I really hope people start feeling like the benefit outweighs the requirement on this stuff soon, Microsoft may need to change their approach before that happens though.

What is the benefit to the user of a mandatory 24hr check-in on single player games?

It's not so much PR spin as a barefaced and transparent lie to try and claim this is for the benefit of the user. I think that's what annoys people more than the practicalities of it.

You misunderstood, allow me to rephrase:

If people don't start believing the benefit outweighs the requirement on this stuff soon, Microsoft may be in a world of trouble. They need to change their approach if they want people to get on board.

I wasn't clear, I hope this illustrates my opinion better.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Checking connection once is far better than ubisoft pc drm where if you lose connection you cannot continue to play. This isn't the end of days and if you don't like it then send a message to microsoft by siding with the competition.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jimbo said:

@clonedzero said:

I dont get why people are so mad about having an internet connection. My PC is always connected to the internet. My 360 is always connected to the internet. Whats the big deal?

You aren't everybody?

Well thats debatable.

But i was merely asking why its a big deal for anyone? People argue tirelessly how its HORRIBLE to have your console require the internet ON THE INTERNET.

If you don't have reliable internet access a modern console probably isn't for you anyways, internet requirements or not.

Just seems like a dumb bulletpoint to get mad at.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well thats a very strange policy. Sure most of the time it'll be fine but seriously why make this a thing? What are they worried about?

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When I'm at home, my 360 is always connected to the internet. But I travel for work quite a bit, and alot of the times I end up staying at hotels that either don't have wifi, or have it implemented in such an ass backwards way that the 360 can't connect to it. If this is true, that's just another reason for me to get a PS4 first.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: what planet do you live on where Internet is $10 a month?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Skytylz

@baillie said:

Spend $400+ on a brand new console. Can't afford $10 a month for internet.

Logical.

I don't know where you're from, but internet is not near that cheap where I am from.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should do a TV series based on this. A show where people go through extraordinary events over the course of 24 hours to get home to make sure their Xbox One.is turned on and connected to the cloud. Sometimes they already are at home but the internet goes out and they've got only hours to turn it back on before MS blacklists them off the interclouds.

It'll be called Xbox: One Day.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fazzle: You take your consoles to hotels?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Baillie

@skytylz: @phileskyline: How much is internet where you are? Honestly, just the bare minimum? I spend £20 a month for fiber optic, 76Mb.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The hits just keep coming, interesting to see how/if they can change public opinion about a lot of divisive features.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jimbo said:

@clonedzero said:

I dont get why people are so mad about having an internet connection. My PC is always connected to the internet. My 360 is always connected to the internet. Whats the big deal?

You aren't everybody?

Well thats debatable.

But i was merely asking why its a big deal for anyone? People argue tirelessly how its HORRIBLE to have your console require the internet ON THE INTERNET.

If you don't have reliable internet access a modern console probably isn't for you anyways, internet requirements or not.

If the Microsoft servers go down or my internet provider goes down, I can't play any of the games that I paid for. That's dumb. Even if it won't be a issue 90% of the time, it's still an idiotic, unnecessary feature that only causes problems.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By circlenine

@big_jon said:

Who here doesn't have an internet connection? Get over it and stop bitching, masses. Steam is basicly the same way.

Steam offline mode requires you to refresh your login credentials once every 2 or 4 weeks I'm pretty sure for offline mode, not once a day. This is a shitty thing even if you have 24/7 internet. If they choose to include a tiny 3g connection (like eReaders have for buying books but just for the purpose of books) but instead using it for this credential checking stuff it would be less shitty, but even then coverage isn't complete.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scroll: When I'm going to be in them for months at a time? Yeah

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: @crosstheatlantic: I really don't understand the issue. Everyone has the internet, and if they don't, they're not going to buy an Xbox. I find it crazy that there are still, to this day, a whole bunch of people who can't connect their consoles to the internet.

Even when I take my 360 to a mates house for a LAN game, I can still connect to his internet. What situation are people in where they can't connect to the internet once every 24 hours?

What situation? Do you live in western society? A lot of times people use gaming on days when everything else isn't working. I have seen it countless times. Someone moves into a new place but can't get internet set up for 4 days or so they go and beat that single player game they were meaning to beat. With this feature? Can't do that. A storm cuts out your internet for more than 24 hours. You can't play games. People act like internet is this...wholly working thing that has zero issues. It isn't. It disconnects, it lags. Do you ever watch a Giant Bomb stream? Playing online still isn't the "perfect" world we want it to be yet. Routers disconnect, certain companies will throttle your connection. There are still TONS of issues with it. I'm perfectly fine saying you can't access any of our awesome online features if your not online. But removing someones ability to stick in a single player game and play? Why?

At what point did it become a crime to be a consumer who is interested in a product? Why is there a barrier to those few who actually just want to play without any internet connection at all? What does it achieve? It's and elitist attitude, one that Microsoft continues to approach more and more. You can't enjoy your content unless you do it OUR way. We are all "one" consumer. It gets to the point where you just want to say screw you, leave me alone, and let me enjoy what I enjoy.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I hear about Microsoft's plans for the next generation the grosser they seem.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Bribo

This is why Microsoft held their tongues when rumours suggested always-on-DRM. The reality seems much more palatable.

It's still pretty fuckin' awful, but it's better than what the rumours suggested.

That's some good PR. Hats off to all concerned.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PhilESkyline

@clonedzero: I think the real issue is being told what you must do in order to play games. As humans it's natural to fight against change. Overtime it's just another hoop MS forces you to jump through. This will be the first console that demands an online connection to enjoy any offline experience. That just sounds silly. You mean I can't play a game offline without being connected online??? Odd right? I can play non Internet connected games on my smartphone without having mobile service. I can play iPad and iPod touch games without wifi once I download them. Why is MS telling...scratch that...why is MS forcing me to do this when so many others are not.

I believe it as to do with pirated and early releases of games personally. Remember people got Halo early but had to play offline so they wouldn't get banned. Guess MS got answer for that now.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creamypies said:

@jasonr86: I really don't understand the issue. Everyone has the internet, and if they don't, they're not going to buy an Xbox. I find it crazy that there are still, to this day, a whole bunch of people who can't connect their consoles to the internet.

Even when I take my 360 to a mates house for a LAN game, I can still connect to his internet. What situation are people in where they can't connect to the internet once every 24 hours?

I was without internet for two weeks when I moved into my current place. It was an experience I wish on nobody.

Same happened to me. Also, ever tried to get a console to connect to a university network connection? Good luck.

Rather hilariously, my internet cut out as I was in the middle of posting this.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

My school's WiFi doesn't allow game consoles so it has to be connected to an ethernet, and if I want to play online games on my computer, same thing, need an ethernet. I often would turn on my PS3 just to play some inFamous or a single player game of some sort, no cord switching required at that point. If I were to go a week without plugging the Internet into an XBOX ONE and turn it on and not be able to play it would suck. Maybe this is just a miscommunication of some sort, only time will tell, but this doesn't seem that great.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PhilESkyline

What happens when the cloud goes down due to weather? Amazon had this happen. First time was hardware failure and Giantbomb was offline for a few days. Second time tons of websites that use cloud services went down due to Hurricane Sandy.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

@clonedzero said:

You aren't everybody?

Well thats debatable.

Yeah, for me it's more a 'Why the hell should I?' issue than a practical one. It's only a minor disadvantage (to me), but one which -despite their claims- offers absolutely no benefit to the user in return whatsoever.

If it's not there for my benefit, then it's there for their benefit. I'm gonna take a punt and suggest that it's there as a form of DRM and so they can keep the advertising you know that interace will be covered in updated.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could change my username to blue right about now.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PhilESkyline

@baillie: I live on the East coast of the US. I pay roughly $128 bucks a month for a triple play package (TV with DVR, LAN line phone and fiber optic Internet 25 up 25 down) Internet alone at that speed is $69.99.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

whoo boy, this is not what i was expecting when i woke up early today.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: The cheapest from one of the providers in my area is $20 for 1 Mb. The fastest I can get is 50 Mb for $75.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now just for the sake of reality vs getting hyped up and hollering like monkeys... Harrison seems to have 0 clue what the fuck they are talking about and have been giving conflicting answers all day.

Maybe we should wait and see what is going on here before we all get whipped up into a frenzy? I highly doubt Microsoft would be suicidal enough to require even a once a day login when a lot of places in the USA and Europe are still struggling to get proper internet, let alone anything resembling stable internet. While a lot of us live in suburbs and cities, there is this thing called THE REST OF THE FUCKING WORLD that is not in the same situation as us.

There are a lot of people who would be unable to meet the requirements of a once a day connection who currently own a 360. An obvious example being people like Navy officers who just want to play a little madden or whatever in their downtime and might not always have access to a connection for their consoles.

If I were to guess I would think this is more to due with a cloud sync or account sync type deal, where it would act much like steam in offline mode, can't do anything too fancy but can certainly play your games.

What I am curious about is how games will be associated with our accounts, am I going to have to make a phone call to microsoft when I buy my new game if I don't have a connection to register (much like you can do now with windows installs)?

A large portion of all this is still very much up in the air, so I would suggest we all wait until we get some actual hard info on this instead of quoting a guy who can't make up his mind if we're allowed to borrow our friends' games or not yet.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Nictel

I can't wait the first time the xbox servers are down and people haven't logged in for over 24 hours. Even though this probably won't be a problem for me this is stupid.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#79  Edited By onan

@jasonr86: @crosstheatlantic: I really don't understand the issue. Everyone has the internet, and if they don't, they're not going to buy an Xbox. I find it crazy that there are still, to this day, a whole bunch of people who can't connect their consoles to the internet.

In that case, look forward to your Xbox One's new doorstop functionality in 5 years when they turn off the servers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If this is true, then this seems like just kind of a silly move that is likely to upset those that aren't connected to the internet.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they communicate anything clearly?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm finding the lack of #dealwithit in this thread dissapointing. :(

Once every 24 hours isn't a big deal to a lot of us, but some of the people I work with do not have their PS3s on their networks. The concept of having their gaming console on the internet doesn't sit right with them. They're older gamers, but a move like this just put them in the PS4 camp.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PhilESkyline

Did they communicate anything clearly?

I think it's a concept that they are still building on. Since it comes out this holiday E3 will be games only. No more hardware or online connection talk, just games and maybe some more TV jazz. They have until the holiday to figure out if they want to drop that 24 hour gimmick and say the VP misspoke. I'm sure Sony's marketing team has a ton of videos and memes ready to attack MS.

I can imagine the slogan now..."Play games offline without ever being connected online"

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The weird part of this always-online stuff is seeing companies like Microsoft try to justify its existence. Daily check-ins offer ZERO benefit to consumers.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is all true and not just some kind of misunderstanding/miscommunication or Microsoft doesn't change things this is another big issue. Years and years from now you won't be able to pull out your Xbox One and revisit your old favorites like you can with pretty much every other console currently.

@onan said:

In that case, look forward to your Xbox One's new doorstop functionality in 5 years when they turn off the servers.

CosmoKramer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By CosmoKramer

Knowing if it will bother people or not isn't really the problem.

The problem is that an always-on connection is a barely useful feature that could be replaced by an occasional connection to the XBL for updates or even putting those directly on game discs - especially now that they're using bluray discs and have that much more room.

EDIT: I know Microsoft said it wasn't completely always-on but, with a 24-hour limit, it might as well be.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what happens if it doesn't ping home in 24 hours?

Also I'm calling it right now. The modding community will remove the online requirement within a month.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mrfluke

those 14 exclusives better be real good, cause man fuck the xbox one (this coming from a xbox 360 guy who bought the majority of his backlog on 360) and if you look at other sites with xbox related news, seems im not the only one, this is blowing up hard on them.

sony has an extremely vital opportunity to deliver a powerful comeback against the xbox one, i really hope they don't screw it up.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's over. They've lost. Not to mention that you can't bring a game over to a buddy without reactivating it for a fee on another console.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The wireless at my dorm isn't reliable, this would suck for me personally.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourwude said:

They should do a TV series based on this. A show where people go through extraordinary events over the course of 24 hours to get home to make sure their Xbox One.is turned on and connected to the cloud. Sometimes they already are at home but the internet goes out and they've got only hours to turn it back on before MS blacklists them off the interclouds.

It'll be called Xbox: One Day.

Or maybe it's the plot of the new series of "24".

Someone has hidden Jack Bauer's Xbox and he has to murder and torture his way around Los Angeles to find it before its lack of calling home triggers World War III.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't get it, the one reason to use consoles is because they just play the game without any of the hoops you need to jump through on PC. Now it's exactly the same, I have to go through menus to get the game, then install it, then make sure I'm connected online at all times. Soon my workstation PC will be even more of an instant-on gaming machine than a dedicated console, that's pathetic. And then what do I play when the internet is down? That was what the consoles were perfect for. Ah well, guess I shouldn't put the current gen boxes in the closet so soon.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By laserbolts

@baillie said:

Spend $400+ on a brand new console. Can't afford $10 a month for internet.

Logical.

Forgetting about outtages or other circumstances.

Logical.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People actually defend the mandatory internet connection? Now I've seen everything. I'll just quickly point out that as a customer this is providing you with zero benefit. Stop supporting things that handicap you as the consumer. I honestly can't understand this line of logic, even if it's seemingly harmless for you, you should be able to understand there are people this negatively effects unnecessarily.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm more interested in why they took this approach in the first place. I'm not seeing the benefit to forcing owners to authenticate their console once a day, and we don't even know what happens exactly when Xbox can't connect to the Internet for 24 hours.

Anybody without an Internet connection; like young kids, military, and people who lose power; will not be pleased at something as trivial as a short daily checkup preventing them from accessing their games offline.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By briangodsoe

So what happens if you miss that 24 hour window?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harrison: I believe it's 24 hours.

"Yeah, I'm not really sure. It's not like I work on this thing or anything."

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is what I envisioned when I first heard confirmation over this. I can see that I am hyperbolizing.

No Caption Provided

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By saethir

@onan said:

@creamypies said:

Yeah, that's the biggest shitty thing about this for me personally. I can pull out my Genesis or N64 and still play games on them. Will we still be able to play Xbox One games 15-20 years from now? For some reason I doubt it, and that's a huge bummer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.