Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

Warner Bros. Suspends PC Sales of Batman: Arkham Knight

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Don't buy new games.

I would love to put this on a billboard

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By SomeJerk

@corvak said:
    @somejerk said:

What's the excuse the outsourced PC port studio has for this?

What's the excuse High Voltage had for Mortal Kombat X PC?

Or the circus clowns who felt Halo:MCC was ready to drop?

Are these ports the result of 168 hour crunch-weeks or are we talking incompetency and a deathly lack of overseeing of the projects that could and often should (espec with the suits)lead to people having to find new jobs because they screwed up so bad it hurt business and stock prices?

I don't follow stocks, but apparently WB only gave the PC version to Iron Galaxy 8 weeks ago. Add in the fact that half the industry buggers off to get boozed and schmoozed the week before and during E3.

My theory wasn't half off. I blame WB for being so incredibly shortsighted about it, holy shit :/

Verdict: Some WB suits should go.

(Personal wish: Enough of an internal data leak to prove to the internet that IG got screwed over and didn't have much of a chance)

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

And even worse their goal according to Steam page is "Fall 2015". Holy crap bucket.

That's for the SteamOS, Linux, and Mac versions, which I'm pretty sure has always been the targeted release date. As of now there doesn't seem to be any ETA on the "improved" version of the game.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well time to see if that steam refunds program is decent...

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Warner Bros. is becoming the worst publisher.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

"What do Batman: Arkham Knight, SimCity, NBA Live, Battlefield 4, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and Assassin's Creed: Unity all have in common? Apologies"

3 games from EA, all from a year or more back. They certainly SEEM to have learned their lesson, so a more pertinent observation would have been to note that this is the second WB game to have a disastrous PC launch withing a few months. Not a lot of time to adjust, but you figured they would have given Batman PC a second pass after the MKX disaster.

Shout outs to the PC master race... ?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By OurSin_360

@austin_walker said:
    @ndn_shadow said:
    @vinster345 said:

Surprised there's no mention of Iron Galaxy doing the port, or has that not been officially confirmed?

Are they officially confirmed to have been porting it? High Voltage did the Mortal Kombat X PC Port and they're listed as one of the developers on the Steam page. Iron Galaxy is not on Arkham Knight's Steam page.

Iron Galaxy is listed in Arkham Knight's credits as "PC Support and Additional Engineering." A lot of folks have taken that to mean "They solely or primarily did the port," even though it could mean a lot of other things. I've even seen people throwing around a supposed time frame for the porting process--but it looks like the origin of that time frame number is a parody video, and not any actual source. [Edit: Source I've found after some digging elsewhere is some folks referencing info on SteamDB, but even that isn't a confirmation solid enough to print in a news story.]

Speculation is fine in forums, and I'll definitely continue to look into this for more details once I'm back in the office in a few hours. But as it stands, this sort of stuff just isn't definitive enough to claim in a news story. It does no one any good to muddle a situation like this (which is complex by the very nature of it being such a big project) by publishing hunches and guesses.

Believe me, there are a ton of other interesting angles here: What does this do to their Steam reviews? How are other digital retailers reacting to return requests? Does this decision reflect pressure from Valve and other retailers? How does this fit into the broader conversation about PC and console gaming? What's up with the recurring problem with WB's PC pipeline? What's the process to porting to a PC really look like, anyway? How does something like this get past QA? Should digital retailers as big as Valve consider having their own QA, the way Microsoft and Sony do, or is an open platform a better platform? Why is there such a discrepancy between Nvidia's promo vid and the final product? Who makes those videos? If it's not Nvidia, does someone from Nvidia vet them? Who's handling the upcoming Mad Max port? How will other publishers respond to this event?

I want to know the answers to all of these questions (and more). But when I'm trying to quickly turn around a story that just broke (and on my off time), I need to resist the urge to speculate and instead report exactly what I already know. Those bigger questions--for this story and others--are things that I'll tackle when I'm able to devote the time to them, and when the answers really are relevant and newsworthy.

Good info. I figured they just did the last minute job of trying to get the game code ready for launch on pc. No way 12 people can develop an entire game this size.

And given that, WB has definitely gone out of its way to mention them when they were never mentioned before release. Trying to shift blame over to a third party ? Either way, I hope the new digital return policy will stop games from coming out semi or completely broken from now on.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Rules of PC gaming:

1. Don't try to future proof.
    2. Don't buy new games - wait a while.
    3. Never pre-order.
    frostmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By frostmute

@spacecouncil said:

They pulled the game because people are being idiots with the steam reviews and don't want to be bothered by that while trying to fix the issues.

Expressing your disapproval and frustration with an obviously broken and sometimes unplayable $60 purchase is not "being an idiot". If you don't want shitty reviews, DON'T RELEASE BROKEN GAMES.

jedikv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aiurflux said:

It's 2015. A game on PC that cannot be run at 60FPS is unacceptable.

Jeff agrees with you....way back in 2012..

Loading Video...

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Im only a few hours into the PC version of the game and it's been running fine. It does look to be capped at 30fps though which it obviously shouldn't be, but it's completely playable.

I dont consider my PC to be on the high end, running on about a few years old hardware (Ivy bridge core i5 with a GTX 970).

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@aktivity: From a consumer perspective I can't blame Iron Galaxy to be honest. It's Warner Brothers who were late (possibly?) and decided to do it like this. It's their game. I'm buying it from them. The way I look at it is, when I buy something from a store, I honestly don't care if they tell me my order is late because the guy they buy it from sent it late. They are in business with that guy, I'm not. I'm in business with them, it's on them whatever their end messes up.

It's fair that WB blamed IG in the next meeting, sure. But that doesn't matter to me as a consumer.

Cactusapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why you never buy a game at launch, kids.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm optimistic that the updated version of the PC version will be the one we were expecting, and they won't just get it up to the quality of the PS4 version. I feel like if that was their goal, they would just release a few patches and keep the game on sale. Taking the game off Steam is a huge deal, so I want to believe that they are going to do major work to the game. It all depends on when they announce when they expect it to be released again.

CrippWox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well after this game I have to stop pre-order games, seriously. This is the only way to send a message and i don't want to constantly play broken games.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Good. The state of the game is inexcusable. I could have deal with graphic glitches and such, but I didn't even got them:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#217  Edited By vibratingdonkey

That first thing Warner Bros did here, push out a game not fit for purpose, is about as unsurprising as it is shitty. So is their initial response of "hey, just like, change the settings or something" and "we'll fix it at some point". But this, suspending sales of an AAA game, that's a first, right? And of course you automatically suspect it's because of Steam's recently implemented refund policy. I hope that it's actually pushing publishers towards taking some responsibility for the state of their games and discouraging shoddy events like these from happening in the first place. Even if this results in PC versions getting delayed for a month or three, that would absolutely be preferable.

I let GMG's low price fool me into a pre-purchase against my better judgment, so shame on me for that. Though GMG came through following WB's statement and are now offering refunds, I hope they manage to update their quite bad refund policy. The issue there seems to be they can't revoke or replace the key they sent out, only Valve can do that, and apparently Valve doesn't have staff or a system assigned to handle those kinds of reseller requests? Valve just needs to verify the request with the user, revoke the key, remove game from library, and send GMG a new one. Why is that not a thing?

Anyway, I've no idea how that stuff actually works, that's their problem to fix, and until they do, this will likely have been my last ever GMG pre-purchase. I feel there's a limit to how much I value this consumer protection in terms of a monetary amount, versus the risk of a specific game ending up bullshit, but in general I will not pre-order from anywhere that doesn't have a decent refund policy. I will never pre-order from Steam (or Origin) on account of their prices being ridiculous. €60+ is overcharging by €15+. Think GOG is the only store I'd consider at this point.

tcsajax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hardtarget: Thank you for posting this! I was wondering what everyone was getting all up in arms over. I've been playing it on PC and haven't had any problems outside of one crash to desktop. Otherwise, everything is maxed out and it runs fine for me.

Delias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@otre: I HAD drops to single digit framerates on my 7970, but when I updated my drivers to the beta drivers released for batman that stopped. I now sit at a consistent 30 FPS and a much less consistent 50-110 when I unlock it through the ini file. Not super great, but definitely not unplayable by any means. I'm one of the lucky ones though, of course. Sucks that the game is so broken for so many people.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By BradBrains

@crippwox: preordering games is mostly unnecessary anyway. I did it for batman (ps4. DL speeds are inconsistent there) because it was 60 gigs and the preload the day before but that's about it.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I must have lucked out, it seems to be working okay for me so far.

Sucks that these problems exist though in the first place.

mycoolhistory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wacomole: I have both versions. PS4 runs solid at 30fps, and looks better than its PC counterpart at 30.

I might just finish it on console, unless they give us a reasonable time frame for fixing it.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By BradBrains

@xshinobi: The city port wasn't bad but the asylum and epsically the origins ports were not optimized at all. I had to get the console version of origins it was so bad

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#224  Edited By MajorToms

I think this got blown way out of proportion. Expecting more than a console port is wishful thinking.

Over the years PC games have been getting shitty ports, and this wasn't a shitty port. People just have high expectations after the GTA V port. I'm absolutely fine with action adventure games running at 30 FPS if it runs smooth.

Nothing is worse than trying to push a game and your rig to limits when it can't handle it, as it won't play smoothly. This game was designed for consoles, and that's why it runs absolutely fine at 30 FPS, and not at 60 FPS, and I'm fine with that.

The only thing that is shitty about this game's PC release is that they changed the minimum specs the day before it was released.

Yarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Yarbles

Arkham City was a bad port also when using DX11

http://www.pcgamer.com/arkham-citys-directx-11-support-is-some-kind-of-joker/

In fact the rocksteady support forum official response was to use DX9 only.

I had a GTX470 at the time and arkham city stuttered using DX11,18 months later I had a GTX670 and it still stuttered, it wasn't until a got my GTX980 I could finally arkham city using DX11 with no problems at all (That's a time span of 4 years and 5 generations of video cards)

CrippWox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crippwox: preordering games is mostly unnecessary anyway. I did it for batman (ps4. DL speeds are inconsistent there) because it was 60 gigs and the preload the day before but that's about it.

I had to pre-order because i got Batman Arkham Knight Premium edition for 32 dollars and huge Batman fan.

But i have to stop to pre-order you usually get half ass games anyway at launch and feel like a beta tester for them. :)

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warner is not your bro.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should never pre-order games. Yes, we all know that but many still do. What about those who don't really pay attention to the enthusiast press, and see on Steam that a new Batman game is released? They didn't pre-order the game and just want to buy it and play it. They're just as screwed as the pre-order crowd.

The Steam refund is the tool PC gamers now have to combat broken day 1 releases. That's the real story here. Period. There's no way WB pulls this game if not for the refund system. This is shaping of to be the biggest news story of the year in gaming and can be a catalyst of things to come.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Despite the game being locked at 30fps, the game runs perfectly fine for me otherwise. I didn't think it noticeably dipped, turned on fraps to confirm. Never dropped a single frame. Guess I lucked out.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@wacomole: The PS4 version is fine, though I had this weird issue where installation got stuck and I had to shut down and restart the PS4 to get it to keep going. It takes a good hour+ for installation between downloading the 3.5 GB patch, all of the pre-order DLC, and installing all of it, so plan ahead.

There is one bug though I'm seeing constantly. The rain effects show up indoors in a couple of cases. If you search for raining inside clocktower you'll probably find some good footage of what to expect. It doesn't impact gameplay, but boy does it look silly. Though the rain does look gorgeous...

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got this free with my GTX970 and yeah, the graphics settings are, like, non existent and the frame rate was definitely capped at 30. I felt like I was looking at a slightly prettier Arkham City. Hasn't stopped me from playing the game, though; it runs just fine. Some fixes would be nice but I'm not one to get that uppity about the actual release of a game not measuring up to pre-release footage.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over the years PC games have been getting shitty ports, and this wasn't a shitty port. People just have high expectations after the GTA V port.

I think that is the part that Rockstar got right and WB got way wrong. WB should have delayed the PC version even if they'd get negative press for the mean time. Remember, the current gen version of GTA V was released earlier on PS4 and Xbox One and the PC version was delayed to a much later month. I'd rather WB did the same thing with Arkham Knight, even if it risked pissing off consumers/stockholders, etc. instead of what's happening now. They probably should have been more forthcoming with it.

fox318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By fox318

Iron Galaxy doesn't exactly have a good record with PC ports. The last batman game was pretty bad.

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: I'd bet most of the blame on Iron Galaxy stems from Giant Bomb's familiarity with that particular company. Outside of that, people don't understand how hard it can be to make a platform layer for a poorly architected game!

And you know that it is poorly architected? You don't do you. Why would you say that!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:
    @corvak said:
    @somejerk said:

What's the excuse the outsourced PC port studio has for this?

What's the excuse High Voltage had for Mortal Kombat X PC?

Or the circus clowns who felt Halo:MCC was ready to drop?

Are these ports the result of 168 hour crunch-weeks or are we talking incompetency and a deathly lack of overseeing of the projects that could and often should (espec with the suits)lead to people having to find new jobs because they screwed up so bad it hurt business and stock prices?

I don't follow stocks, but apparently WB only gave the PC version to Iron Galaxy 8 weeks ago. Add in the fact that half the industry buggers off to get boozed and schmoozed the week before and during E3.

My theory wasn't half off. I blame WB for being so incredibly shortsighted about it, holy shit :/

Verdict: Some WB suits should go.

(Personal wish: Enough of an internal data leak to prove to the internet that IG got screwed over and didn't have much of a chance)

8 WEEKS? Holy shit, man. Talk about procrastinating.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is getting more interesting... Game is being pulled from Amazon, GAME, Gamestop and other retailers.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#237  Edited By Cirdain

If you're curious to see how bad it can really get, check out these screenshots of my just AMAZING experience trying to play the game on pc.

just great all around

No Caption Provided

That's a thing with any open world game it's just very very rare. Something to do with stretching to origin or somin.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#238  Edited By KaneRobot

Mortal Kombat and Arkham Knight. WB is trying to commit genocide on the "PC Master Race."

charzar81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really sucks. Other than Blizzard products, I usually stick to smaller studio gaming on my PC. This is the first AAA game i've bought on Steam. I'm having a blast with the game; stinks that others aren't as fortunate. Hope this gets resolved.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Despite the game being locked at 30fps, the game runs perfectly fine for me otherwise. I didn't think it noticeably dipped, turned on fraps to confirm. Never dropped a single frame. Guess I lucked out.

Yeh same for me. It seems the majority of performance problems are happening for PCs with low RAM (4Gb or less) and/or players who unlock 60fps via the .ini file. If thats the case i dont know why WB would pull back the game. They didnt give a crap about their earlier shitty PC ports why would they pull this one from stores just becouse players complain about 30fps?

Its strange to say the least.

Maybe they got hit by a massive internet rage and are just trying to hide from it.

jedikv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this got blown way out of proportion. Expecting more than a console port is wishful thinking.

Over the years PC games have been getting shitty ports, and this wasn't a shitty port. People just have high expectations after the GTA V port. I'm absolutely fine with action adventure games running at 30 FPS if it runs smooth.

Yep shame on us customers for expecting a quality product, clearly our standards were too high.../s

This isn't some over-exaggerated issue, a product that sells for money got broke and customers are rightly showing their frustrations given no reviewers were able to acquire a copy and indicate beforehand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
    deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@spacecouncil said:

They pulled the game because people are being idiots with the steam reviews and don't want to be bothered by that while trying to fix the issues.

Expressing your disapproval and frustration with an obviously broken and sometimes unplayable $60 purchase is not "being an idiot". If you don't want shitty reviews, DON'T RELEASE BROKEN GAMES.

What I mean by being an idiot is that people are spamming the reviews with negative things. This isn't the first game be locked a 30fps on PC. It happens more often than not. If you aren;t aware of this (anyone who is reading, you've obviously not been playing games on PC recently or in the past) Optimization does not happen more than it should on PC especially when devs are forced to release a game earlier than they want to meet a release date and additionally are just porting console versions. Devs make games for consoles first because that's where the most sales are currently.

Is any of this good? No, of course not. But spamming the reviews with negativity for an issue they already knew about is "Being an idiot" Throwing you 2 cents in when there are already thousands of reviews isn't helpful. Wait for a patch and give some constructive criticism afterward. Because believe it or not the game is playable. and editing a .ini file is on par with almost every single PC game I've ever owned. Sometimes I have to make my own .ini file. Especially regarding console ports.

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we blame this all on Dave Lang?

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#244  Edited By Wraithtek

On reading the opening paragraph of this article, my first thought was - didn't they stop sale of SimCity (2013) at one point? But looking back, it was Amazon (not EA) that did this, temporarily stopping sale of the digital version. EA did stop marketing/promotion of the game while trying to put out fires after launch.

At least "Knight" seems to be broken in a way that suggests these things could have been fixed with a bit more dev time. SimCity was broken by design and the mandatory online servers were (figuratively) on fire from day one, so everyone was having the same problems, regardless of their hardware configuration.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I'm getting confused. How widespread is unplayability of this game, and how much of it is people complaining about issues resulting from unlocking the framerate in the .ini file? I mean, locked FPS is clearly not ideal, but it ain't "pull your game from sale" broken, and I see a lot of people in various comment sections saying "works fine for me, guess I got lucky."

It seems obvious that the port was unoptimized, but...

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majortoms: @homelessbird: Read the Digital Foundry report on the PC version and you'll understand why people are upset. This is way more than "the game is locked at 30 FPS." Computers that are way more powerful than the Xbox One and PS4 can barely play the game. After reading that, if you still feel like PC gamers are complaining for no reason, then I don't know what to tell you.

banicabolnica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess Iron Galaxy Studios didn't do a great job with 12 people did they? Shame... such a shame...

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm glad I bought it on PS4, I feel sorry for anyone who pre-ordered it on Steam.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart move. Shouldn't have been released till it was ready.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be over here on my Xbox busting fools :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.