Brutal: Paws of Fury is a 2D fighting game developed and published by GameTek for the Sega Genesis and Sega CD in October 1994.
The game follows various anthropomorphic animals as martial arts fighters of various disciplines as they compete in a tournament in the secluded Brutal Island by the mysterious Dali Llama.
The game is unique for its password system, where special moves must be earned by winning matches and each fighter's repertoire can be stored as passwords.
It was ported to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in December 1994 by Eurocom. The SNES version was released in North America by Cybersoft, Europe by GameTek, and Japan (as Animal Takeranden: BRUTAL) by Kemco. It was also ported in 1995 by GameTek to the Amiga (only in Europe), Amiga CD32 (only in Europe), PC (only in North America, known as Brutal: Above the Claw in-artwork), and Sega 32X (only in North America, known as Brutal: Above the Claw in-artwork and Brutal Unleashed: Above the Claw in-game).
Each fighter in the game is a different anthropomorphic animal and represents a different martial arts style (real or fictional). Most versions of the game include eight playable fighters and two unlockable bosses, while some earlier consoles exclude two characters. Two additional fighters were made for the last versions (while making the two boss characters playable from the start).
- Kung Fu Bunny (rabbit, Relaxed Paw style)
- Prince Leon of Kenya (lion, Jah style)
- Tai Cheetah (cheetah, Tai Chi style)
- Rhei Rat (rat, Thai Boxing style)
- Pantha (panther, Cultist style, unavailable in the SNES and Genesis versions)
- Kendo Coyote (coyote, Tae Kwon Do style)
- Foxy Roxy (vixen, Penjat Silat style)
- Ivan the Bear (bear, Soviet Military style)
- Chung Poe (mole, Sabbbaal style, PC and 32X versions only)
- Psycho Kitty (cat, PC and 32X versions only)
- Karate Croc (crocodile, boss, unlockable in all but the PC and 32X versions, unavailable in the SNES and Genesis versions)
- Dali Llama (llama, Divine style, final boss, unlockable in all but the PC and 32X versions)