We have a few scattered topics about various video player issues which I wanted to try to consolidate into one. Apologies if you’ve been having troubles with video lately! We are working with a fair amount of variables which make tracking down issues a bit problematic: your troubles might be related to a new video player, the device you're using, or our attempts at streaming in 1080p/60fps at the high end of the quality spectrum, or your route to Akamai, or etc.
One of the major issues seems to be involving set-top solutions like the Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, and so on. It looks like a lot of these devices are having issues with the higher-quality HD streams that we've been running lately. We've been working on a way to change the bitrate that some of these devices get from the site and will hopefully make some progress on that this week. We'll be starting with the Roku and will be trying to look at the rest of the devices you all use after that. In the meantime, you may want to try to reduce the quality settings on these videos in these players if you have the option to do so or watch them directly on the site. Sorry for the trouble.
If you’re having issues, giving us the following information and answering a few questions will help us track this stuff down:
- What kind of issue are you running into?:
- Any specific videos where it’s occurring?:
- Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?):
- Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?:
- If not, what extensions are you running?:
- Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?:
- Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?:
- What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?:
Sorry for the questionnaire, but getting a lot of specific information will help us to track down the issues that we're looking at.
Log in to comment