Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OmegaSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ilovemy911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitting the right mouse button over and over again while in full screen, like @sungahymn suggested, works every time for me. It varies how many times I have to hit it, but after a few seconds of clicking the progress bar always goes away. (Windows 7, Chrome)

LethalPlacebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitting the right mouse button over and over again while in full screen, like @sungahymn suggested, works every time for me. It varies how many times I have to hit it, but after a few seconds of clicking the progress bar always goes away. (Windows 7, Chrome)

This workaround works for me as well, thank you!

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By larmer

@wellspokenman: Disabling my firewall has also solved the overlay problem for me. I'm not using Windows firewall though. I'm on Win10 and Windows Firewall is auto disabled because I have ESET. If I disable the ESET firewall the overlay and mouse cursor will disappear on fullscreen. It's weird because I don't even need to refresh the page. I can be running the video with my firewall on and have the issue. Disable the firewall while the video is still running, and when I go back into fullscreen mode the issue is gone. I don't need to change anything but the firewall.

As I said before, Windows 10, Firefox and Chrome. I hope this info helps them find out the conflict.

e_canuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By e_canuck

• What kind of issue are you running into?: Stuttering casting from either of our Androids (Moto X 2nd gen. or Nexus 5) to Roku. This is mostly images but occasionally the image freezes while audio continues.
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: Local public TV online TV episodes. We only just discovered castings & haven't tried other casting. We mostly use what's already on the Roku but don't have a smart TV/web browser access on the TV.
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): Chrome
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: Haven't tried incognito mode, don't like having to re-log in to everything, which is what happens when I go incognito. I have no extensions running.
  • If not, what extensions are you running?: None
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: Don't know what this is, Android casting
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: Don't see any such settings
  • What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?:Don't know, prefer not to give this
LethalPlacebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By LethalPlacebo

Update: my issue mysteriously went away! Overlay and mouse now hide properly in fullscreen mode!

Edit: Issue persists if I double-click a video to fullscreen it. Using the fullscreen button on the overlay remedies the issue!

Edit 2 (6/5/2017): Issue has completely gone away, can double-click or use the fullscreen button and mouse cursor and video overlay will disappear properly. Thanks GB Team!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#207  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Windows 10

Version 59.0.3071.61 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)Get help with ChromeReport an issue. (Happened without BETA build as well.)

Sound Driver: Sound Blaster Z Release date : 3 Mar 17

When switching between headphone and speakers mode, videos stop, position is not saved and is back at 0:00 (both on current page and if revisiting), but does work with whatever device I switched too. If I switch from HTML5 to Progressive (and vice-versa) before hitting play again, the video continues from proper last saved position. Just toggling the option as well will save the proper position. Super odd.

Apps crashing and audio breaking is typical when this happens, but there's a way to make it at least appear seemless. Youtube's player appears to automatically resumes the video from proper position which makes it appear like as if there was no crashing of the video at all. No automatic restart is fine, I can click play, but it should at least resume from proper last saved position (without having to switch HTML5/PROGRESSIVE before resuming). The automatic resume would be icing on the cake, though.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#208  Edited By SSully

When switching between headphone and speakers mode, videos stop, position is not saved and is back at 0:00 (both on current page and if revisiting), but does work with whatever device I switched too. If I switch from HTML5 to Progressive (and vice-versa) before hitting play again, the video continues from proper last saved position. Just toggling the option as well will save the proper position. Super odd.

I just experienced this same issue. Also running latest version of chrome/windows 10.

I was originally coming to this thread to mention the buffering problem. Basically this entire weekend I was inable to watch video using GB's regular player. The videos would start pausing to buffer every minute or so. No I am at the point where they just straight up won't load. This isn't an internet issue on my end - my DL rate is 120Mbps and I have no issues watching the non-premium videos on youtube. I think it's either related to the video player or whatever service the video's are actually stored on.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Windows 10

Version 59.0.3071.61 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)Get help with ChromeReport an issue. (Happened without BETA build as well.)

Sound Driver: Sound Blaster Z Release date : 3 Mar 17

Apps crashing and audio breaking is typical when this happens, but there's a way to make it at least appear seemless. Youtube's player appears to automatically resumes the video from proper position which makes it appear like as if there was no crashing of the video at all. No automatic restart is fine, I can click play, but it should at least resume from proper last saved position (without having to switch HTML5/PROGRESSIVE before resuming). The automatic resume would be icing on the cake, though.

Quick update on this, the live stream player had no problem with me switching. It appeared to have restarted on it's own, much in the same way the regular youtube player does, which made it near seamless.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Premium Videos won't play for me. Just says, "loading video...". All other videos are fine. As of 10:15 PST, Monday, 5-22-17.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Premium Videos not playing? Fixed it. Chrome settings: "Clear Browsing Data" > "Clear Cookies..." > "Clear Cached Images and Files...".

Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, still doesn't work. Continues to say loading video.

capnrobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah using chrome cant get any videos to play and I dont have any other browsers on this comp, and really dont want to add any, can get videos to play fine on my I phone

capnrobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By capnrobert

actually clearing cached images and files and cookies worked, realized I had only cleared for the last day initially, clearing for all of it worked

wellspokenman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By wellspokenman

+1 can't play videos anymore. Last time I thought it was my fw, but I think that was just a coincidence. Can download and play the video files. Cannot stream videos from Chrome or Firefox. Tried disabling firewall and adblockers.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Videos have been ending prematurely and sometimes just end when I try and skip forward or backward. Windows 10 64-bit. Chrome. All latest versions.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#217  Edited By hassun

@wcarle: This isn't a bug per se but something that might be worth noting. Currently the video player saves your last-used quality settings. This is good in general but I would like to request to detach the livestreams from this. People who have their offline videos set to HD will always have it drop down once they have viewed a livestream since there is no HD option in those.

At least that's what I think is happening with offline videos refusing to stay on the HD preset after watching a livestream.

borilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on the GB beta channel on Roku, then went back to public. Now neither of my Rokus work, but web is fine. The app just opens and immediately closes. Do we still have to use the beta?

reacean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Back again - Premium live streams are once again unwatchable buffering nightmares trying to watch from the Chicago area. Whatever your CDN is for this area, especially for the high quality streams, is completely dropping the ball for you guys. Watching it on Low often works enough that I'm not buffering every 10 seconds and falling behind live like crazy, and the recording afterwards will have fewer problems on high quality (but notably, not free of buffering issues). Jeff's recent Beam stream was just fine, and Twitch is never a problem for me on 720p/60fps.

wellspokenman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By wellspokenman

Well I'm stumped. And actually kind of annoyed at the amount of time I've spent on something that seemed so solvable. Win10 with all updates, disabled firewall x 2 and av, reset the network and fw stack with netsh, disabled all protocols on the adapter except ipv4, cleared cache, tried private/incognito, disabled all extensions... just says 'loading video' in chrome and firefox. Works on other devices in this network. Worked on this device before. No idea what changed on this PC.

Edit: Fixed by changing my DNS servers... which makes no sense, but OK.

Console log says:

unreachable code after return statement[Learn More] all.js:23:383

VideoManager.initialize() did not receive a valid error callback function. CBSI-PLAYER.js:18:26942

UVPJS 2.4.3 05/25/17 7:10:13 AM (EDT) CBSI-PLAYER.js:18:27122

Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. jquery.min.js:2:40351

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My premiere way to watch GB videos is to use the phone/tablet and airplay to my Apple TV. However, I've noticed in the past few weeks if I don't have the video saved locally it constantly hitches up and will practically become a slideshow. This has led to me just loading up the website in chrome and airplaying videos from there, which seems fine.

I should mention, my Apple TV is the model from before they added app support, so I can't download the video player directly to it.

Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could we have someone on the team please chime in? This "video loading" issue continues to persist. And no clearing the cache/cookies doesn't work.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@smokey_earhole: It's still the same for me. Whatever I do, videos in Chrome will not play. Is there finally a fix for this I am unaware of?

Linkorius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using Chrome on Windows 10, videos crash when I plug/unplug a device on a jack port.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eacbc181b8b5
deactivated-5eacbc181b8b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using a Roku 2 I'm getting constant cuts to a loading screen. Maybe get 10 seconds of video, 10 seconds of loading which continues on all videos. All other streaming services run fine (including Netflix UHD), so I know it's not a bandwidth issue. I've tried hardwired and 5Ghz wifi with neither making a difference. I'm a fan of the new UI, but I'm hoping you guys can iron out the bugs (also will the Roku app ever see a search feature? It'd be great to be able to lookup older videos not listed.)

meatwad2567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something I'm seeing right now on the Live steam of Sunshine:

The video in browser in Chrome is playing fine, but when I go to cast it to my Gen1 Chromecast, the video that comes out is just the "Standby" Mario image they had before they started with the music. When I "uncast" it, the video is fine back in the browser.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#227  Edited By rorie

Something I'm seeing right now on the Live steam of Sunshine:

The video in browser in Chrome is playing fine, but when I go to cast it to my Gen1 Chromecast, the video that comes out is just the "Standby" Mario image they had before they started with the music. When I "uncast" it, the video is fine back in the browser.

Are you on the highest quality setting? I believe Vinny streams at 1080/60 for some of his streams, which I don't believe a Chromecast can handle.

meatwad2567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I had it on Auto, so that could be it. But if that's the case, I wonder why I still got the "Standby" video (is that the right term for it?). The music and audio was playing, so the Chromecast was picking up a stream, just not the main video that was getting streamed on the site. Probably some finicky chromecast issue.

ebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By ebk

Using a Roku 3, videos will eventually cut to a brief but loud static noise and a screen that's basically just a bunch of visual artifacts. Then it changes to either an empty loading bar for a bit before going back to the video page in the app or the whole app just freezes until the Roku restarts itself. This isn't happening on other apps, so it seems to be limited to Giant Bomb. My Roku did upgrade to Roku OS 7.7 within the past couple days, so that might potentially have something to do with it.

EDIT: Still happening with the latest version of the beta channel that went out recently.

turpskadey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By turpskadey

@ebk said:

Using a Roku 3, videos will eventually cut to a brief but loud static noise and a screen that's basically just a bunch of visual artifacts. Then it changes to either an empty loading bar for a bit before going back to the video page in the app or the whole app just freezes until the Roku restarts itself. This isn't happening on other apps, so it seems to be limited to Giant Bomb. My Roku did upgrade to Roku OS 7.7 within the past couple days, so that might potentially have something to do with it.

Having the EXACT same problem with my Roku 3. I have been circumventing by hitting the rewind for just a second to make it reload the stream. But it's still bothersome.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What kind of issue are you running into?:
When using Chromecast GB will autoplay a video whenever one comes into focus stopping whatever is playing at the time. Cast a video and click back to the home page? Whatever video is up top on the home page starts casting instead. Cast a video and scroll down to the comments? Any embedded GB video in a comment will start casting. The latter case in particular is very annoying.

Any specific videos where it’s occurring?:
https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-black-the-fall/2300-12375/

Cast the Quick Look then scroll down to one of the comments with the embedded Unfinished video (https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-black-the-fall/2300-12375/#js-message-8645875). The Unfinished automatically starts casting, cutting off the Quick Look I'm there to watch.

Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): Chrome 59.0.3071.115
Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: Yes
If not, what extensions are you running?: N/A
Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: N/A
Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: N/A
|What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?: 98.115.138.243

macog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• What kind of issue are you running into?: Giantbomb Roku Beta app will Not play videos specifically when I click play the system briefly flashes the download bar then immediately returns to the video page with the play button highlighted.
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: Currently able to consistently reproduce on all Videos
Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll preface in saying this is only an issue in my Chromebook (via Chrome OS). All my other computers (and phone) work great.

• What kind of issue are you running into?: Video will not play. I even downloaded the Video Buddy App and it says it's not compatible.
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: No. All Videos, unless I watch on YouTube.
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): Chrome. I have not attempted a different browser (running on a Chromebook).
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: I have not tried... Will update if different outcome.
  • If not, what extensions are you running?: N/A
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: Yes and no.
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: Yes and no.
matsemann08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#234  Edited By matsemann08

@skinnersweet said:

I've signed up for premium recently and this is all of seen. I've spent over an hour just trying to get back to my position in the video and it keeps freezing like this then going back to the start. Really regretting going premium now.

@matsemann08 said:
@matsemann08 said:
No Caption Provided

With the new player the videos stops randomly, the play-button pops up like it does when I've finished a video (look at the run-time in the image). I can then start the video again, but at the beginning, it doesn't remember playback position. This happens many times each video. Happens on both HTML5 and Progressive on the newest chrome (57.0.2987.133 (64-bit). It started today or maybe yesterday.

This is still happening and it's terrible.

Still happening, still fucking terrible.

Klopzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Videos have stopped loading (running latest Firefox on Windows 7 PC) and can't be played. Videos were working yesterday (July 18, 2017) before the site went down. Today, the play button won't show up on any videos. Instead, all I see are the words "Loading Video..." pulsing on the screen.

I'm currently logged in as a Giant Bomb premium user.

bigpicnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By bigpicnic

As of at least yesterday my GB Roku app won't open at all (the little GB splash screen will come up with "loading" but then it exits back to Roku home). Thanks

EDIT: Beta channel seems to work, though the layout seems a bit janky atm

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skinnersweet said:

I've signed up for premium recently and this is all of seen. I've spent over an hour just trying to get back to my position in the video and it keeps freezing like this then going back to the start. Really regretting going premium now.

@matsemann08 said:
@matsemann08 said:
No Caption Provided

With the new player the videos stops randomly, the play-button pops up like it does when I've finished a video (look at the run-time in the image). I can then start the video again, but at the beginning, it doesn't remember playback position. This happens many times each video. Happens on both HTML5 and Progressive on the newest chrome (57.0.2987.133 (64-bit). It started today or maybe yesterday.

This is still happening and it's terrible.

Still happening, still fucking terrible.

Still happening here as well. I've come to the conclusion that at this point that's just how the new player is going to be.

Xaphann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What kind of issue are you running into?: The video will skip back about 5 second randomly throughout the video.

Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: all videos

Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): Safari iOS 11 beta (15A5318g) . The issue is specificity happening on my iPad that is running the iOS 11 beta. My iPhone and multiple PCs seem to be fine.

Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: It is iOS with so no extensions.

If not, what extensions are you running?:

Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: it is iOS so I don’t have an option

Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: No it doesn’t help

What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?: 24.78.44.245

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having recently got an Xbox One I've been trying the Giant Bomb video player app, and the buffering is pretty much nonexistent there (On the same network as my PC) - and I can actually stream videos there in HD as opposed to low quality with buffering on PC. So that essentially confirms it's a video player issue and not anything to do with the network/CDN (And again, I don't believe it's a browser issue as it does the same in incognito with all extensions disabled). Still can't really play premium videos on my PC but if any of you having issues have an Xbox One I'd definitely recommend trying out the app.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#240  Edited By TheMasterDS

Video player takes forever to come up in my iPhone's Chrome. Videos play fine elsewhere, it's only here that they take forever to get going.

swordstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took me 15 minutes to get through 3 minutes of the latest murder island video on the lowest quality. Is there any kind of update on this?

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matsemann08 said:
No Caption Provided

I also got these weird lines going across the player, which you can also see in the image. Those have been there for a week maybe.

I suddenly started having this same problem yesterday on chromebook, but only with the html5 player. I can only get through 5-10 seconds before it happens. It's annoying but easy to bypass for normal videos, as i can use one of the other players, but when I fall behind on a live show (which happens often) the same thing happens and forces me to the live feed every few seconds. The strange thing is is started halfway through upf yesterday. First half was fine, but then it suddenly wouldn't cooperate and no other videos would either. I even watched a quick look earlier that day and it was fine.

Edit: I did a powerwash and that kind of fixed it. The upf chat is still up so I tried that and unless it's only shows that are still going that screw up, that works now both on auto and a specific quality. Guess I'll find out for sure on that next time there a live show. Normal videos are mostly fixed too, except for on auto. That still causes the same issue for whatever reason and it definitely didn't before yesterday.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For weeks now, watching video on the site has been borderline impossible on my laptop because the audio is so low. At normal listening volume, I can barely tell that people are talking; to make video understandable at all, I have to turn up my system volume to maximum and risk deafening myself with system sounds (or carefully balance everything in the audio mixer). Podcasts are fine, as are Youtube videos (generally). Loudness equalization doesn't seem to do anything; it's just too quiet. Thing is, when I watch video from a podcast, it's wildly quieter than the podcast separately. How is this possible? What is going on with the audio mix? Is the player not respecting my volume slider? It's super frustrating.

sionnach_dubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys,

I'm watching on PS4 and occasionally have the same problem as @matsemann08 above. Also, recently livestreams won't play if I click through to /chat but will play from the home page. On the /chat page I've noticed that the chat feed loads but freezes immediately, whereas before it would just say the browser is incompatible.

Hope this helps.

barky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By barky

I've been experiencing weird video issues lately. The videos on the website just hang on loading video. This includes anything from the archive or the later stuff. I can download the videos just fine and in full speed, but the actually video player just hangs. I've tried doing a dns flush but that didnt help.

edit: did an old fashioned cache delete and it seemed to clear the problem up, disregard

Selftest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

unable to play video directly from the site, I have to download (or at least click on the download link) each video I want to play, otherwise I'll just get the zoomy "loading video" screen forever. Kinda sucky.

CaptainWow110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selftest: same here. Are you also using Chrome?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Getting the "loading video" problem as well, just started happening today. Using Chrome.

iotanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#250  Edited By iotanon

Also having the "Loading Video" problem. Using Chrome. Works Incognito and on other browsers though (Edge, at least). Deleted cache, but it didn't work for me

Edit: Turning off uBlock Origin seemed to fix things