Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrHeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm having a rough time across the board with streaming.

For a while I've had a Mac mini hooked up to my tv running Plex. I would start by attempting to watch a show through the GB Plex plugin. This would often work, but if it wouldn't load or if the stream would keep stopping to buffer, I would quit Plex and open up safari or chrome to keep watching. If the stream would get caught in a buffer loop there, I'd do the trick of modifying my hosts file. Usually this would make things solid enough to get a couple of shows down. I'd go through some stretches where the Plex plugin would work flawlessly for weeks, then stretches where even changing the host file multiple times wouldn't avoid constant buffering.

The Mac mini started getting a bit long in the tooth, so I recently migrated to an AppleTV. I know the app there isn't official, but it runs me through the same loop only with much lower reliability against buffering. I usually start by trying to load a stream through the app. This straight up works maybe 10% of the time. Often it'll get about 2-4 minute into a show then hit a hard buffer loop where it stops, buffers for around 3 minutes to play the next 5 seconds. The rest of the time the stream either won't get past the first 5 seconds or won't load at all. When this happens, I'll usually open the site on my phone and fiddle around with AirPlay to get it playing on the tv. My success rate with that is much higher (despite the annoyance that it pretty much ties up my phone), but even so I'd wager at least half of the time it gets caught in short buffering loops (play 10 seconds, buffer 1 second), gets stuck in a low quality version of the stream, or locks up completely and won't buffer any further. Since I don't have the option of modifying the hosts with my phone or appletv, my last resort is to go unplug my modem and router for 5 minutes and try again. Add in the requisite note that the appletv is connected via ethernet, and I never have issues with HD streams from youtube, Netflix, or any other sources.

Pleease let me know if there's any additional info that would be helpful, or if there are any other tricks I should try. The constant dance to get things working has gotten pretty tiring.

Thanks!

shadowcvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#461  Edited By shadowcvl

• What kind of issue are you running into?: Videos no longer play from youtube on sony XBR900 series TVs
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: Anything in the past 2 ish weeks, these are the only videos on youtube I cant seem to watch
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): Sony XBR65X900E, Sony XBR55X900E - Youtube, cant watch GB native
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: NA
  • If not, what extensions are you running?: NA
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: NA
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: Yes, no resolutions will load
  • What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?: Its not, works fine on PCs and mobile devices, just not where I consume 99% of GB content lol
timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#465  Edited By timeshero

I've noticed a Chromecast stuttering that happens only when live-streaming from the GB West office.

I watched the previous 13 Deadly Sims stream previously with no issues.

Issue also occurred when I would try to cast the live stream of UPF on Friday, or the live Bombcast on Tuesdays.

Issue doesn't occur when casting my screen or my browser window, only when casting the actual video.

Changing streaming quality does not solve the issue.

Loading Video...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#466 chaser324  Moderator

@rorie: I'm replying to Rorie.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've noticed a Chromecast stuttering that happens only when live-streaming from the GB West office.

I watched the previous 13 Deadly Sims stream previously with no issues.

Issue also occurred when I would try to cast the live stream of UPF on Friday, or the live Bombcast on Tuesdays.

Issue doesn't occur when casting my screen or my browser window, only when casting the actual video.

Changing streaming quality does not solve the issue.

Loading Video...

Also having this issue, although I have not tried streaming East yet.

But trying to stream live streams ( VOD's work fine) to chromecast from my phone it stutters like crazy, tried changing quality and using Giant Bomb Buddy and Video Bomb but that didn't help, either does streaming it from a phone browser both streaming the page or the video stream only.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@ravelle: @timeshero: I don't know if I have a Chromecast around but I'll see if I can track one down. What model Chromecast are you using? What device are you casting from?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#469  Edited By Ravelle

@rorie said:

@ravelle: @timeshero: I don't know if I have a Chromecast around but I'll see if I can track one down. What model Chromecast are you using? What device are you casting from?

Chromecast NC2-6A5 and I'm streaming it from a HTC 11U.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I am using a second generation Chromecast, casting from a Pixel 2 XL

lepoufcelebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#471  Edited By lepoufcelebre

Edit: Actually, rebooting the tablet fixed it. Sorry.

DanElectro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: version 56.1 of waterfox also solved the issue for me!

From the changelog:

Update various media codecs.

I haven't even updated yet (56.0.4.1) and its working for me now too. So whatever it was, seems to be good now.

shottyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: TV is a Sony XBR-49X800D. Tried to cast the latest episode of Unprofessional Fridays to it and it loaded up at 100% Volume (ON THE TV) and literally blew out the speakers.... I'll never cast another video from this site again- no worries though because I don't plan on renewing the membership anyways. Most expensive video I've ever played. Jesus Christ.

samosburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474  Edited By samosburn

Edit: nevermind, fixed!

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timeshero: Thanks for this! I didn't see it myself on an office Chromecast, but we have a pretty fast network here, so I'll have to try it at home, as well. That is really weird, but the video helps a bunch to see what you're seeing. Sorry for the trouble!

NeoSHODAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477  Edited By NeoSHODAN

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but a quick search couldn't find it...

What happened to the ability to chromecast from the ios player? It's a real frustration that I can't stream premium stuff as easily as the stuff that makes it to youtube.

It used to be in the player with an icon. Then, the icon was removed but you could still trigger it if you pressed in the spot the icon used to be. (Which was almost awesome. Felt like I was getting something over on /the Man/.) But now that it's been gone for real for a while... Is this the intention going forward? Are there plans to bring the chromecast button back?

(I get that this isn't a bug, but I haven't seen a better place for this through the forum search. Sorry if I missed a better spot.)

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#478  Edited By bathala

I used to be able to watch this on my LG 4k Oled (Jeff and GBEAST TV) now it just stops.

I think it started when the auto mute was introduced.

EDIT: Using TV browser. Can't play HTML 5 videos (all) but plays on Progressive (low)

Boosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#479  Edited By Boosh
No Caption Provided

This continues to be my video experience with premium videos. Stopping to buffer for quite a while 6 seconds into UPF. This was after it already happened 2 seconds in. It never smooths out. Randomly, I'll have decent premium video playback, but most days when I see this happening, I just have to give up and do something else.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#480  Edited By nophilip

@boosh: This is happening to me with nearly every video on the site. It's incredibly frustrating. I have to watch everything via the Youtube version, which (of course) I can't do with Premium videos. I've started downloading them because the buffering has been so incredibly bad.

EDIT: This is happening on a regular-ass laptop on the latest version of Chrome.

sabin1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#481  Edited By sabin1001

Trying to watch non-live video with Chromecast, all it does is stream the tab. Is this a known issue? It used to do the proper thing and send the video stream to Chromecast to start playing, now it only tries to stream the tab. Using a Chromecast 2, Chrome 66, and no adblock.

And since it's been asked in the past, yes I'm using the button in the video player to start the Chromecast.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#482  Edited By smallville123

Uhhh, hey. Just got a Chromecast and for some reason when casting your video went full volume and I thought it was going to blow out my new TV speakers....maybe fix that

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this is the proper place to report this. Ive been using the beta version of the roku app and it never seems to save where I left off. It will let me resume after a few hours but past a day everything seems to default to new. Is this a normal problem or just me?

NeoSHODAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smallville123: That's a problem between the device you used to start chromecasting and the chromecast. They try to sync volume between casting device and display device. When it works, it's pretty cool that your phone's volume controls can be used to control chromecast volume. But a bit too frequently, it gets confused and the volume changes dramatically. I wish I knew of an option to stop trying to send volume signals from my casting device, but I haven't found one yet.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boosh: Are you using a streaming device, or a laptop, or a PC...?

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@neoshodan: Then why does every other cast app not do that?

andygazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi @rorie I am also getting that "This is an error message" video when I use the Xbox One App or the Video Buddy on Premium videos only. So I switched to watching premium videos on my TV's (LG OLED55B7P 55) Web Browser. Then about 2 weeks ago the premium videos stopped playing. After I hit play, it just hangs then the 'PLAY' icon appears again without loading the video. Do you know of anyway I can correct one or both of these errors?

Thanks for any help!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andygazi: Can you email this to me at support at giantbomb.com? I can CC in some engineers directly that way.

andygazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Sure, will do! Amazing quick reply!

Boosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hey Rorie. This happens on randomly, but often on my laptop and my desktop. Both running Win 10. One wired and one on wifi.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boosh: Which issue are you referring to?

Boosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: The one from post #479.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sabin1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sabin1001 said:

Trying to watch non-live video with Chromecast, all it does is stream the tab. Is this a known issue? It used to do the proper thing and send the video stream to Chromecast to start playing, now it only tries to stream the tab. Using a Chromecast 2, Chrome 66, and no adblock.

And since it's been asked in the past, yes I'm using the button in the video player to start the Chromecast.

Just to follow up on this in case anyone else experiences it. This was an issue on my end. After you click the cast button and it brings up the pop up to choose the device, you can click the blue banner at the top and tell it to cast giantbomb.com instead of cast tab (which is what I somehow had it set to). All fixed now!

Skullbuggery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since they updated the web browser on Xbox One, changed edge into a more pc browser looking thing within the last week or 2, I have been having issues with GB Infinite with the stream getting really choppy, happens within 5 minutes and made it unwatchable for me.

Still works fine on an old iPad and my pc but with the YouTube link being unplayable now and no sign of it on the video player app on the Xbox I'm unable to watch it downstairs in my house.

jedikv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#496  Edited By jedikv
  • What kind of issue are you running into?:
    • Videos don't play when logged in (no play button). Works when not logged in
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?:
    • Seems like any of them
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?):
    • Firefox
    • Brave works if I disable the ad-blocking
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?:
    • Yes with Firefox - disabling those extensions seems to not work
  • If not, what extensions are you running?:
    • uBlock Origin, https everywhere, privacy badger, disconnect, decentraleyes
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?:
    • No, cannot load the controls
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?:
    • Audio-only player work
  • What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?:
NeoSHODAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smallville123: I think the browser volume control mirroring is flakier than app volume control mirroring? I don't know. I get bit by that on the YouTube app occasionally.

lepoufcelebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, the newest issue: The play button shows up exactly once on Android Chrome, for any video after that I have to clear the browser cache to make the "Loading Video..." go away. This goddamn video player smh

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using Chromecast, latest version and up to date, the cast button isn't working on the standard video player. The video tries to load on the Chromecast, as I see the title of the video on my TV, but it then fails. Youtube and other video players work fine. Any ideas? It was working a week or so ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5df65c433e681
deactivated-5df65c433e681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What kind of issue are you running into?:

Live streams on LG smart tv default web browser.will not load. Player is available to click on but stops loading a few seconds after pressing play. They used to work fine but haven’t worked for the last month or so.

Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: live streams. Excluding GB infinite.

Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): LG web browser on smart tv.

Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: N/a

If not, what extensions are you running?: none.

Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?:

Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: switched to low/high no effect.