All Systems Goku - What's Next?

• 67 results
spicymystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

First, sorry if this has already been posted about before, I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

On the latest All Systems Goku, Jeff and Dan mentioned that they're nearing the end of DBZ Kai and hinted that when East links up with West, they may discuss what to do once they're finished with Kai. I've been thinking of what they could do after Kai and I'm curious as to what everyone here wants/thinks they'll do next. IMO, what makes DBZ such a perfect show to do a podcast about is that it isn't all serious, it has a ton of genuinely hilarious moments to riff off of, especially all of the wrestling parallels. As well, DBZ is also a universally beloved, mainstream anime - if you know anything at all about anime, you know Dragon Ball Z and I'm not sure I know of any anime fan who DOESN'T enjoy the show. As the kids would say, it's got clout.

So what do you think they could do after Kai is finished, if anything at all? The obvious choice is the original Dragon Ball - it's a little more light-hearted than Z but still has cool action sequences, it's also within the Dragon Ball series so it makes perfect sense to choose it. Another option is Dragon Ball Super, which I've only read but if the anime is anything like the manga, it would be a great choice to pick up on after they're finished with Kai. I know there's also Dragon Ball GT but I only caught a few episodes of that years ago and have been told it's not good at all so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

So original Dragon Ball and DBZ Super are the most obvious choices, but I was also thinking of what other anime ticks the same boxes as DBZ as far as its popularity and its combination of both great action and comedy, the only one that I feel comes close is Yu Yu Hakusho. I think with its characters and plot, it has enough to be a fun series to watch along with Jeff and Dan.

FWIW, I don't think they'll ever do a non-Dragon Ball related podcast and it makes sense for them not to, but what do you think they should do after Kai? What do you want them to do? More Dragon Ball? A different anime entirely? Or do you think they should quit while they're ahead and stop after Kai?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I figure they have come to a close realization several times that Dragon Ball is more or less actually what they like most about DBZ for the entire series so it should probably be that if anything.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I'd like to see them continue with Dragon Ball but I'm with you op. If not, Yu Yu Hakusho would be dope.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should do the movies and then Super.

If they switched animes, Gurren Lagan would be perfect

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Watching Dragon Ball after watching a bunch of Z is the typical American learning Anime experience for the 25-35 set. That's always what I'm gonna want.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@defaultprophet: are you sure about gurren lagan? They'd probably only watch the English dub of that and oh man that is terrible.

tgammet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really want to see them do OG Dragon Ball or Super. I haven't seen either and feel like this would be a great excuse to.

chaz934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Selfishly I want them to do Super, since I've only seen the 2 movies. I think they will watch the Z movies then move onto Dragon Ball and possibly Super after that.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no doubt that after Z they will watch more Dragon Ball, but they have actually talked a bit about what they might watch once they're completely done with the series. They've said Fullmetal Alchemist and My Hero Academia are two that often come up when they're looking for suggestions, and when shown a bit of them at the Crunchyroll panel they seemed pretty enthusiastic. They also said they definitely won't be watching JoJo because they don't like the character designs.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: yeah absolutely, Dan and Jeff would get such a kick out of Kamina and Believe in Me Who Believes in You

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think Dragon Ball Super or OG Dragon Ball would be the logical next step for them.

They could do a really good single episode on how good the concept is for One Punch Man and watch the first episode, and then skip the rest because it's kinda dull and predictable.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Milkman

Gonna echo what I said in the comments of the most recent episode and say going back to OG Dragon Ball would be terrible idea. I feel like people who say that it has all the stuff they like about Kai don't actually realize why Jeff and Dan like DBZ. The humor in Dragon Ball is awful, there's ton of useless filler episodes and it has none of their favorite characters from Z. They should just move on to Super. That's what makes sense.

Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bonsai

If they don't do Super or the original DB, I'd love for them to watch Hunter x Hunter or Yu Yu Hakusho. YYH would be cool because it's a contemporary to DBZ, though I'd honestly rather them watch Hunter x Hunter since it's my preferred Togashi story.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dragonball GT because it is weird and kind of bad but would make for a funny podcast and also has the nostalgia thing from when I watched it as a kid that I love about ASG.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

OG Dragon Ball has too much filler? They like action over the bit comedy? I can't agree with either of those sentiments in the slightest. Sure there are staredown moments, but comparing anything in DB to Namekian style filler is just so off base to me.

Catlicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OG Dragon Ball. Gimme the originals. It's my favorite part anyways.

ildon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My recommendation would be to go straight to Super. If there was some kind of Kai-style retelling of regular Dragon Ball, I might recommend that, but as it is original Dragon Ball is just kind of hard to watch. It's extremely meandering, has a lot of "that hasn't aged well" jokes, and has a lot of just plain boring stretches. And I say this as someone who absolutely loves a lot of parts of OG Dragon Ball. Training with Kame-sennin, fighting Piccolo Daimao, and the Tenkaichi Budokai arcs are all great. The Pilaf arcs are mostly okay. The Red Ribbon Army stuff is kind of boring (it's the same joke of a bunch of adults not realizing a little kid is the strongest person on earth over and over). And outside of these arcs there's just a ton of really boring stuff. With a few exceptions, Super mostly maintains the same kind of pacing and tone that Kai ends with. GT is right out. It's not even canon anymore, I don't think. Even when I was at the height of my interest in Dragon Ball I couldn't even make it through to the Baby arc.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me Super would be my first choice, then Dragonball (because Vegeta). I want nothing to do with GT, even by proxy.

ThomasCro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto

Chilez666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super would make for the best content.....my bulma

AzraelDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I'm sure Jeff and Dan will enjoy OG Dragonball (and it is a good series), it lacks a crucial element: our favorite Saiyan Prince and fuckboi Vegeta. Super has some great Vegeta moments, and continues to align with Dragonball FighterZ, the game we have to thank for the glory that is ASG. If they do decide to watch Super, I wonder if they'll be too Dragonballed out to watch OG Dragonball.

The only option I can come up with that has Jeff and Dan watching an anime that is based on a video game and something they genuinely have interest in is: THE WORLD JUMP FORCE ANIME MARTIAL ARTS TOURNAMENT.

Basically, Jeff and Dan have a transitional podcast series where they watch the first five episodes of all the series featured in the upcoming brawler, Jump Force. After they have watched and commented on all of the featured series, the concluding episode will have the anime participating in a tournament bracket, where Jeff and Dan deciding the winner for each battle. The tournament winner will be the next anime podcast in this beautiful website about video games.

Vorked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Ball Super is the best choice, in my opinion. They can move forward with the series, because Super picks up in a pretty nice way that I think Dan would enjoy pretty well.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they would enjoy Super a lot. It starts of with good bullshit silliness and the final arc gives more characters a chance to shine.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to super makes sense. I think the jokes and osmosis learning of DBZ filtering to them all their lives have primed them for DBZ. I honestly don't know how much anime is out there they would both be interested to watch and enjoy.

That said, I think what I saw of super was kinda bad. Bad in like a...I still want to watch way? I watched everything they had done in english 5ish months ago. No it's not the voices; I still like the english voices enough and I hate japanese goku(not necessarily the acting, but her voice specifically, I can't listen to it as I watch Goku). I still haven't finished obviously but goku seems extra dumb and shitty. Then again, I caught up with the jeff and dan right before Cell games, blasted ahead watching nonstop Kai to completion(I had never seen past Cell) and all the super up to that point. I didn't like Buu saga almost at all. So I just dunno.

Revendawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Revendawn

I think Original Dragon Ball makes a lot of sense, but I think my wish is for SUPER. With how much they love Vegeta it's where the series seems to actually be aware of what to do with him... mostly.

And also just for this one moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Tsgvby5L8

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I want them to do:

• JoJo (I find the first season to be very slow),
  • Gurren Lagann (first half with Kamina is slow and annoying),
  • Patlabor (hell no, I doubt that there's many people like me who likes it),
  • Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Super (same anime for long period of time, can be very tiring to them)

I'd prefer if they were to do smaller / shorter anime, e.g. The Devil Is A Part Timer! as a change of pace.

Jeryhn88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeryhn88

Great....Teacher.....Onizuka....?

Oh god, Idk why but that just popped into my head as the perfect choice. The horny, the silly, the badassness mixed with absolute patheticness (yes, words) of Onizuka-sensei would be fun. I think? Allot of over the top high-jinx and "cool"-guy moments for Dan to enjoy.

Might just be too riskee in 2018 though, I am sure it has ages horribly:P

Other then that: FMA:B for just quality story-telling and great characters like the obvious Dan/Jeff instant favorite Armstrong(!), but other then that I really don't see what ells the guys can do. They will have to set a plan for what they actually want to achieve with the series going forwards. If it is about exposing them self to great shows, then there are some easy contenders, but it comes down to entertaining podcasts rather then just general reaction idk. Again, FMA:B does have a super broad reach with it's story, epic moments, serious drama and humor both in characters and gags...

Or just do DB:S

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OG Dragon Ball

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not entirely convinced it would make as good of a podcast but honestly they should also just watch FMA Brotherhood on account of it being a really good show.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By mrbubbles

I would love it if they did original Dragon Ball after this it really is something.

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest worry with Dan & Jeff reviewing Dragon Ball is they're going to be hung up with the 80s gag manga comedy which revolves around panties, old man groping and other toilet humour. Either they're going to have to ignore it or spend at least 5 minutes on each joke making sure that they emphatically state they find it problematic.

If they do, there is a fan edited version out there that edits everything that wasn't in the manga but I doubt they'll risk promoting an unofficial release.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man GT is such a chore to get thought. I even own all the singles when they re-released the whole series the first time after it was edited down and 90% of the missing episodes are filler. Other than the first 2 episodes and the concept is a cool idea, it just drags on and kind of gets really dumb and nonsensical with the dargonball lore nonsense.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I just can't get over thinking how much Dan would mark out for the "cool guy" moments in the show. And just think of the face turns in that show. It's way less wrestling than Dragon Ball Z/Kai due to the lack of Kinnikuman anime, but the stuff in it would still get Dan waxing wrestling lingo for sure.

curiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only option for more Vegeta is Super, so there really is no choice to make.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super is mediocre and inconsistent throughout its run, the Goku black stuff and the filler is the only real standout stuff. The last arc of Super in particular is a fucking drag, pretty much encapsulating what Jeff and Dan have described as their least favorite parts of Kai. Those being long, drawn out, fights with little of the charm and world building they loved. It isn't something I'd recommend watching before Dragonball and Dragonball Z/Kai.

They've said multiple times they love the weird shit in Dragon Ball, and OG DB is all of that. It obviously explains all of the questions they've had about the world of Dragon Ball that went unanswered in DBZ and has left Jeff and Dan confused or misled during the podcast. The fights are better choreographed and more interesting due to much of the fighting being hand to hand combat up until near the end, rather than just fireball volleys that do jackshit. The characters that debuted in Dragonball that aren't Goku, Krillin, and Piccolo actually get some much needed context and development as to who the fuck they are and why anyone should care.

The only thing I can see any real hangups on is the sexual humor present in the really early arcs of the show. Some of it ranging from harmless to some being unquestionably dated. The sex stuff is at its worst in the first arc which is like, 12 or 13 episodes if I remember correctly? It never fully disappears from the show, but it gets significantly better after the first two arcs. Roshi gets better as the show goes on and becomes more than just a catalyst for dirty humor and the stakes start to get raised. The Android 18 scene in DBZ stands out to me as being probably the egregious moments for the character. I found it more eyerolling than anything he did in DB, since by that point in the series, the lecherous old man aspect of his character had taken a backseat to the wise mentor.

I don't think "but Vegeta" is a compelling argument as to why anyone should skip the original series, especially if you walked away from DBZ/Kai saying you like the weird shit and character moments even more than the fighting. The best thing I can say about Super is that its an ok time killer if you aren't absolutely sick of Dragonball by the end of both the original series and Dragon Ball Z/Kai and don't quite hate yourself enough to suffer through GT.

I'm firmly on team Dragonball if they still want to pursue other entries after Kai. Super is bullshit.

alecman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By alecman

As much as I like the original Dragon Ball and that's the one I watched not the Kai version I feel like it would be better if they watch Dragon Ball Super instead, the original dragon ball series takes so much time if you include everything from freeza, cell, buu saga (which they already watched) Unless they only plan to watch the part where goku and krillin was still kids. I mean it's probably a good thing since we have a longer podcast to watch but I feel like they will gain more knowledge from watching Super like the new characters appearing in the current and future Dragon Ball games.

Also if we're talking about different animes, I hope they watch Gintama. But I can see them not liking the humor also there's no English subs.

curiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super is mediocre and inconsistent throughout its run, the Goku black stuff and the filler is the only real standout stuff. The last arc of Super in particular is a fucking drag, pretty much encapsulating what Jeff and Dan have described as their least favorite parts of Kai. Those being long, drawn out, fights with little of the charm and world building they loved. It isn't something I'd recommend watching before Dragonball and Dragonball Z/Kai.

They've said multiple times they love the weird shit in Dragon Ball, and OG DB is all of that. It obviously explains all of the questions they've had about the world of Dragon Ball that went unanswered in DBZ and has left Jeff and Dan confused or misled during the podcast. The fights are better choreographed and more interesting due to much of the fighting being hand to hand combat up until near the end, rather than just fireball volleys that do jackshit. The characters that debuted in Dragonball that aren't Goku, Krillin, and Piccolo actually get some much needed context and development as to who the fuck they are and why anyone should care.

The only thing I can see any real hangups on is the sexual humor present in the really early arcs of the show. Some of it ranging from harmless to some being unquestionably dated. The sex stuff is at its worst in the first arc which is like, 12 or 13 episodes if I remember correctly? It never fully disappears from the show, but it gets significantly better after the first two arcs. Roshi gets better as the show goes on and becomes more than just a catalyst for dirty humor and the stakes start to get raised. The Android 18 scene in DBZ stands out to me as being probably the egregious moments for the character. I found it more eyerolling than anything he did in DB, since by that point in the series, the lecherous old man aspect of his character had taken a backseat to the wise mentor.

I don't think "but Vegeta" is a compelling argument as to why anyone should skip the original series, especially if you walked away from DBZ/Kai saying you like the weird shit and character moments even more than the fighting. The best thing I can say about Super is that its an ok time killer if you aren't absolutely sick of Dragonball by the end of both the original series and Dragon Ball Z/Kai and don't quite hate yourself enough to suffer through GT.

I'm firmly on team Dragonball if they still want to pursue other entries after Kai. Super is bullshit.

Super's great and they are gonna love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curiosus: I feel the opposite. But I guess we'll see.

ImploF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they watch OG Dragon Ball, I found Super to be slow, poorly animated and all around mediocre.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They should start "All Systems Zaku," a podcast where Austin Walker just recommends various episodes of Gundam to Jeff and Dan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

They should watch GT just because everyone here says how terrible it is and how Dan and Jeff will hate. It will be the ultimate Freitza move.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Efesell

@rejizzle said:

They should start "All Systems Zaku," a podcast where Austin Walker just recommends various episodes of Gundam to Jeff and Dan.

Actually, you know what. This is entirely in the opposite direction but nevertheless prompted my correct answer..

G Gundam.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zankoku na tenshi no you ni, shounen yo emo ni nare! Coming to Netflix!

Loading Video...

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I am exhausted by the suggestion of Dan Ryckert meeting Evangelion.

ChosenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ChosenOne

My personal pick would be Yu Yu Hakusho since they seem to really enjoy the tournament fighting stuff and it still has a good amount of "weird" to keep things interesting. It would also give me a good excuse to re-watch it.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By totsboy

+1 for Yu Yu Hakusho, I think they would love it. The anime is super 90's in visual and starts in a River City Ransom style, and then later has the best fighting tournament of any anime series. It's also hilarious (more than DBZ imo), and the characters are great, not only the main cast is very interesting, but the villains also have more depth and personality than the ones in DBZ, both Toguro and Sansui are much more complex than "alien dude who wants to rule all the universe" or "bug android terminator". And I say that as a big fan of DBZ.

Jeryhn88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Yeah, It really is top tier. Armstrong alone is reason enough for Dan to watch it, and there is allot of "serious" discussions aline with youtube reaction speculation shows to be had with its plot. It would become a different thing entirely, but I honestly wouldn't mind it.

malice16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would really like to see them do two or three smaller anime series (stuff with 13 - 26 episodes). I think it would be nice to get some variety before doing a big series again. I think OG Dragonball would be a great choice but I don't want it right after they finish Kai.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would like them to try other series, although if they did it, they would probably be overflown with suggestions.

Based on what they enjoyed of DBZ, I think they would enjoy OG DB more than Super; but Super is more in line with the game and has characters in it that aren't covered by DBZ, so it is likely they will continue with that. However, they should watch the movies and skip many episodes of the first 2 arcs.