Do you still buy movies on DVD?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you still buy movies on DVD? (134 votes)

Yes, they still look just fine 4%
Yes, because they are cheaper 4%
50/50, usually Blu Ray, but sometimes a DVD 8%
No, all Blu Ray all the time 37%
No, all digital all the time 16%
I don't buy movies 30%
No Caption Provided

I think about this every time i buy a DVD these days, is this format ever going to stop being supported? Am i weird for still buying DVD's? How long before movies stop releasing on DVD?
For me it's because i don't really notice the low resolution, i might notice it for the first minute or two but after that it's fine, and since i only really watch action films that i'll probably watch again some day, it's nice that i can just pop in the disc and not have to browse around the internet trying to find the one service, if any, that has some lesser known Sammo Hung movie.
Also while i can easily find my games digitally in a program like Steam, i'm not yet comfortable buying digital movies and hoping they'll remain available on some website, and i wouldn't get the most out of a Netflix subscription, which probably also doesn't have that lesser known Sammo Hung movie.

Do many of you feel the same?
Do most people these days just have a Netflix subscription or something?
How long do you think DVD will last?

• 
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I loan all the DVDs and Blu Rays I watch from the library...it's free. You local library 99.98% of teh time is part of a regional or statewide consortium of libraries. That means you have local access to thousands of DVDs & Blu Rays locally and consortium wide you might have access to "hundreds of thousands" of movies and TV shows.

Even if you like to purchase your own media...go to the damn library because you can't own everything!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped buying movies a while ago for a variety of reasons, even though streaming has gotten much worse (even with multiple services it's hard to find most stuff these days.)

When I did still buy movies I bought Blu-Rays and if I bought a movie today it would probably be on a 4K Blu-Ray. I just like to have the best possible version of a film, and especially one I am going to buy and own forever. I have a 65-inch 4K TV and I imagine future TVs will only get bigger and higher def.

On the other hand DVDs often look okay when upscaled, and they can be orders of magnitude cheaper, so for movies that don't rely on visuals (like a talky drama or comedy) they are probably still fine. I wouldn't want to watch a special effects movie off DVD but I could see picking one up for something like Booksmart, a recent movie I really liked that's more about dialog and gags than strong visuals.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I cant remember the last time I bought a DVD, it was probably over a decade ago. I got the Blu-Ray collection with all the Fast and Furious movies, which at the time was 5. I think I watched each movie twice since then. (the second time was for Film & Forties)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I haven't bought a movie on a disc in a long, long time, but I'm tempted to hop back into the media just for some commentary tracks on movies that I really love. Sometimes commentary tracks are just thrown on the internet now (Rian Johnson has done some for Looper and Knives Out that are free to download), but by and large the streaming versions of movies don't have them available, which is a bummer. I love commentaries.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just blu-rays of movies that I've really ended up liking. Can't recall when I last bought a dvd...possibly a season box for some tv-series 5-6 years ago?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mainly weeb shit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If I can't get it any other way? Sure. It's hardly an unbearable picture quality, merely subpar in comparison. But if there's a blu ray version available, I'll be going for that.

tacobelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For comedies assuming the visuals aren't that important, I'll buy the DVD. Otherwise, it's the Blu-Ray, 4k now that I finally bought a 4kTV.

I don't buy many movies anymore though... I stopped watching special features years ago, so I'm fine with just the film / extended version of the film if possible.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I still enjoy having my absolute favorites on disc. Mostly been complete collection editions of some series.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Only when the laserdisc edition is out of stock...

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shiftygism

I went digital years back, but I'm tempted to get in on some thrift/pawn shop $1 pickups to fill a few shelves or a spinner rack in my eventual mancave basement. I'm also up for cheap used WWE dvd 3 disc sets, if just for the artwork.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I usually just buy whatever is cheapest/on sale between DVD/Blu Ray. I notice a different with Blu Ray, but not enough to require myself to only buy in that format.

I was just thinking about how long the DVD format has been around. I don't recall VHS being around nearly as long as that right? I remember VHS as a kid and then fading out maybe around the late 90s?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

I still buy Blu-Rays, mostly 4K ones when I can. I really only buy ones I either really like or I find for cheap that I like. Sometimes I will buy an out of print movie on DVD though.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy? Rarely. DVD? God, no. I very much notice the low res.

Sometimes rent digital, but mostly physical for a variety of reasons. Redbox is great.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wollywoo

The only time I ever buy a DVD is as an occasional Christmas present for a family member when I can't think of anything else.

Music CDs, on the other hand, I still buy sometimes to play on my car stereo.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

I get the bluray version (or wait for it if there's the slighest chance there'll be one a few months are the DVD release), though there are some cases where DVD is the only option. Streaming services barely carry any of the movies I'm interested in, I only have a netflix subscription for TV shows ... and even that's drying up now when every single network is launching their own streaming service, so I tend to wait for the bluray or DVD release of the show's seasons there too.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost always Blu-ray or Digital for me. I have a rather new 4k TV and DVD's can upscale well enough if they were properly authorized and can upscale to 720p well enough and look good at distance, but that's if the company put the effort into properly authorizing the DVD, but rarely anything before 2007 on DVD just wont even scale and is letter boxed on all sides and looks like hot trash. The only time I buy anything on DVD if it's not available anywhere else or it's dirt cheap.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't buy a lot of movies these days, but when I do it's from the bargain baskets at Target or WalMart and those are usually DVDs.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bluray 99% of the time, also you get the digital code 99% of the time as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just got back into collecting movies last year as I got tired of streaming services (rotating catalogs, shit picture quality, no special features). As far as I'm concerned dvds are dead - unless a movie is only on dvd like the Korean thriller Chaser or Freddy Got Fingered.

I also have 4k capabilities so dvd resolution is basically like watching nails enter my eyes.

To piggy back off the library talk, a lot of libraries give you access to the streaming service Kanopy. If you're library is a part of their system you can create an account and get 8 free rentals a month. They have a lot of Criterion films and more obscure and international films on there than your standard streaming services.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

When I got the Xbox One X, I started buying 4k Blu-rays, and there are some great films to watch that way. While it's not my favorite movie out of all of the 4k Blu-rays (although, it's up there now), the best 4k transfer to me, and for it, the most immersive, was by far The Shining. I'm kind of selective though when it comes to them. I did get some normal Blu-rays of films I liked before, but I wasn't nearly as into them in terms of quality and what have you. Since I've started watching 4k Blu-rays, I check out useful 4k YouTube videos like Spare Change, AR Media (which hasn't posted anything in a long time mind you) and Films at Home as they merely talk about the video and sound quality, which is all I'm concerned with. I think streaming is okay, but physical is still the way to go right now for movies. Games are a different story; I honestly don't remember the last time I bought a physical game. I don't buy HD Blu-rays anymore, and as for normal DVDs, definitely not. I don't remember the last time I even watched one of those. Maybe a decade ago. I also don't go to movie theaters much any more, so if there's ever a movie I am interested in, I want to experience it in the best possible way, which is usually 4k Blu-ray.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually just buy digitally, but I’ll watch whatever the best available version is. I’ve still got movies on VCD and they’re still fine

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Tom_omb

All, of the above, but also none of the above. Only one of these options really acknowledge the existence of digital and it's absolute. I'm mostly digital. I'm not above a DVD, Bluray is good too. The appeal of disks is really the features. I don't have the space or the desire to spend money to buy disks very often.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The only movies I buy any more are the MCU movies (maybe if something hits me just right in theaters I will get it, or if I can buy it cheaper than renting). I then end up buying the DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital version and just watching it on VUDU.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Absolutely. They're mostly dirt cheap, a lot of the movies I'm interested in owning physical copies of either aren't on BR or don't benefit much from high resolution, and I'm one of those weirdos who has a real soft spot for the era of overcomplicated DVD menus and features.

I'd still be collecting VHS if I don't already blow too much money on vidjagaem.