What’s your favorite game soundtrack from this year?

• 66 results
TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Dragon Ball FighterZ has some real jams on its OST, but I'm expecting Smash Ultimate to take the cake

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Hmmmm from what I remember and have heard this year, these are the standouts to me:

• Donut County
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • The Messenger
  • God of War
big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm:Holy cow. That game came out this year, huh? What. the actual. fuck...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@big_denim: Did you think it came out last year? Like, it seems like it came out further back in time to you (perhaps because of a bunch of other games coming out since)? Or, did you not know it came out this year? Ha ha. Anyways, yep it came out this year. Great soundtrack to it.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Ha, it's not that I entered a total blackhole time warp. Nope, more so that I was unfortunately quite disappointed with the game, so I completely forgot about its existence entirely if I'm being honest. Hadn't even considered it when thinking about the heavy-hitters for games this year.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By NTM

@big_denim: Understandable. It's definitely not going to make most peoples list of games to even consider thinking about in terms of AAA games. I liked it fine; it's probably my third favorite Far Cry if I'm being honest just due to the soundtrack and the Montana atmosphere. It also changes up just enough of the Far Cry style for me to appreciate, like taking out towers and making it a bit more obstacle-y. I wish they went further with the story, and the shooting could have felt a bit better. Oh, and on the Xbox One X the game just looks amazing. I didn't play a whole lot of new games this year, but it probably is my second favorite game this year behind RDR2. I think GOW is a better-made game overall, but I honestly enjoyed FC5 more.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for divinekataroshie
DivineKataroshie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whole soundtrack from Persona 5 and Celeste. But particularly sear to my bones from Persona 5. For one particular reason - immersion. For me, soundtrack doesn't need to be technically good and energetic as a standalone piece of music, but it needs to immerse you into the game, and help you feel like your right there, at the moment, in this imaginary world. Not a single game does it better than Persona 5 and Celeste.

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ocotpath Traveler

Xenoblade 2 Torna

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

TETRIS EFFECT

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#61  Edited By liquiddragon

I just beat Donut County and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. It picked up at the end but most of it was either really dumb or way above my intelligence, hard to say.

One thing's for sure, the soundtrack was pretty good.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead is up there for me. That moment when you're riding along to the D'Angelo track was pure art. Really knocked me for six

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Return of the Obra Dinn is my favorite. I liked the instrumentation (violin and, especially, carillon) and the old-timey vibe. I can't recall hearing much like this in games before. So that was a pleasant surprise to me. It also has catchy melodies, which I like. And it enlivens the otherwise staid atmosphere of the game in just the right way. It's hard for me to imagine that game working as well with any other kind of music than exactly the soundtrack it has.

Overload, Octopath, and Celeste all had very good soundtracks, but they felt like competent executions of familiar stuff, so they left less of an impression on me.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#65 Marino  Staff

Easily Tetris Effect.

Then probably P5D/P3D. Been listening to that for about 6 months now.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Detroit: Become Human soundtrack is my pick. An absolutely fantastic score featuring 3 different main composers. It may have been a preorder bonus but there's an additional soundtrack download on the PSN store that lets you easily save the lengthy soundtrack to a USB stick as nice 320k MP3 files. Was surprised and thrilled to see Drew, Alexis, and Ian play through the full game on their Extra Life stream.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dragon Ball FighterZ has some real jams on its OST, but I'm expecting Smash Ultimate to take the cake

Fighterz has been in my exercise music rotation since its release, specifically Yamcha, Vegeta, and Gohan. It follows closely in the footsteps of the Guilty Gear Xrd soundtrack, which I liked quite a bit as well.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Bear McReary's God of War soundtrack tops everything for me this year.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not full soundtrack but one of my absolute favorite pieces this year is the theme to Warframes new Fortuna expansion.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Well, Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus Remasters came out this year, so technically ...
But as far as "real" 2018" releases are concerned I'd probably go with RDR2 or Ni No Kuni. If only that last Walking Dead season had come out properly it may have taken the top spot, though, since it seems to be pretty much a Best Of of all the previous seasons including some neat new stuff.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The soundtrack from Dead Cells is by far the best I've heard this in 2018. I'm honestly surprised that no one else has even mentioned that as a potential nominee in this thread.