I got the game early. Ask me questions (No Spoilers)

• 159 results
emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

@decibel said:

@sunbrozak: Fuck dude how do you know all this stuff?!

I've got the official guide. It covers just about everything.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I guess this is more of a question to everybody, rather than just you.

I've never played a Metal Gear game before (apart from Ground Zeros), but I really want to try out The Phantom Pain, and might buy it for PC next weekend. So, over the course of this week, what should I do?

I've seen online people recommending to just watch MGS3: The Movie and Peace Walker: The Movie. I'd sit through all of Metal Gear Scanlon but I don't have the time and would like to be playing the game while it's still being talked about on the Bombcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can you twirl single action army revolvers? That's all that matters. Metal Gear Ocelot.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lumley said:

I've seen online people recommending to just watch MGS3: The Movie and Peace Walker: The Movie. I'd sit through all of Metal Gear Scanlon but I don't have the time and would like to be playing the game while it's still being talked about on the Bombcast.

That should do. Although i think there is a rather large collection of audio "tapes" included with Ground Zeroes that covers important stuff from Peace Walker

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucien_lachance: thanks a lot for the tip about pressing the button, I never would have found it otherwise. Holy shit, I can't believe they don't direct you towards that. It's a pretty big thing.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#156  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Did the game just break for anyone else all of a sudden? I can't call the helicopter to Mother Base which means I can't do missions, and all my guys disappeared from the base. This have something do with the 421MB patch that just hit?

MikeRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By MikeRD
@brad said:

I've found the enemies' ability to see or hear you from a mile away to be absurdly unforgiving so far, and trying the different camo options I have currently hasn't helped much. The game seems way more strict about its stealth than Ground Zeroes, which admittedly was pretty easy, but maybe they're just creating a steep difficulty ramp here to give you incentive to research better gear later on.

I imagine the perceived difference between GZ and TPP is that the main mission was both at night and in a storm which reduced vision and hearing for enemy soldiers by a lot in comparison to the daytime side ops. Don't know if it's this way in TPP, but in GZ, the enemies were less aware to sound and had their vision cones reduced some if they were investigating something specific like a guard's body (dead or alive) or a thrown magazine (these investigations are generally represented by a flashing triangle over their head if you've marked them).

@ttthrasher said:

I've been playing a lot of GZ lately to get ready for TPP, and guards definitely turn around if you "crouch run" up to them from behind. The cure for this is to just hold your gun out at them as you do it, as you'll hold them up before they get the chance to turn around. Then you can just tell them to get down, and that's the longest neutralization option available (aside from just killing them, of course). Holding up seems like the best course of action, in GZ at least.

To add to this, you can also dive into a guy's back to knock him onto the ground and then proceed to immediately hold him up. Only problem being that if he turns around and sees you before you get the dive off, and he gets knocked onto his backside instead, there may be problems for you if he gets up.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Having the guide, do you happen to know of any more stuff like I posted where side stuff that they don't tell you to do leads to major story stuff?

It's pretty inexcusable how they handled the stuff I posted about considering there are times where Miller's like "Yo Boss, get your ass over to Mother Base right meow."

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucien_lachance: Kojima was pretty adamant about there being things in the game that people will just straight up miss (recruiting Quiet being one of those things, but it seems like everyone's been able to find her easily).

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By emfromthesea

@lucien_lachance said:

@sunbrozak: Having the guide, do you happen to know of any more stuff like I posted where side stuff that they don't tell you to do leads to major story stuff?

It's pretty inexcusable how they handled the stuff I posted about considering there are times where Miller's like "Yo Boss, get your ass over to Mother Base right meow."

There is a surprising amount of stuff that you can miss. My recommendation is that you visit Mother Base after every few main missions, and during mission 03 (the guide says 03, but I could swear it was 04, so be wary about both), look around the starting area before heading after the objective. That latter point is pretty damn crucial to obtaining something.

Spoiler regarding that something: You'll find the D-Dog puppy in that area. Fulton him.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Yep, got that. They pretty much lead you to him, unlike the Paz stuff. Are there any more side ops that aren't labeled as "important" that I should look out for?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: Yep, got that. They pretty much lead you to him, unlike the Paz stuff. Are there any more side ops that aren't labeled as "important" that I should look out for?

Not really. The rest are quite clearly tagged as being significant. Most of the missable stuff comes in the form of throwaway (but enjoyable) cutscenes, and obscured mechanics. The majority of the cutscenes take place on Mother Base. So just ensure you visit there on occasion. The hidden/obscured mechanics are just your standard Metal Gear silliness for the most part. Not much in the way of story spoilers. For instance, if you use the water pistol on electrical equipment, it deactivates it without raising suspicion. And Mother Base soldiers in the same unit will slowly learn the languages from soldiers in that unit.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#163  Edited By LiquidPrince

I got the game early as well. I find it a little weird that every chapter is formatted like an anime. Like it literally has opening and ending credits. But aside from that it's all been pretty damn awesome.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@marc said:
@atomicoldman said:

Ok I got a couple more.

Is the hospital scene bugfuck crazy/awesome? And do you ever find out who is under those bandages (i.e. that guy helping you out of the hospital)?

Hospital scene is amazing. And you find out who bandaged dude is.

So about this.... do you? Cause I finished the prologue and still have no idea who that guy is. I was thinking it was Ocelotbut dude clearly was shot at the end there and died.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@demoskinos: Not a story spoiler what so ever, but tagged in case anyone wants to find out how to find out who Ishmael is on their own: You find out when you beat mission 46, which gives you the second ending.