Movie where the victim actually ends up being more skilled than the killer/abductee/criminal?

• 55 results
Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Silver-Streak

Hey all,

So I recently rewatched John Wick, and had seen The Equalizer shortly before that. This got me to start thinking, anyone know of any movies similar to these (and say, Taken), where the supposed victim actually ends up being extremely skilled and takes out their assailants?

Is there a genre/style name for this type of film? Revenge flick doesn't seem quite right.

To be clear, it doesn't have to be a shootout movie or anything, but generally any movie where a serial killer, kidnapper, or otherwise other criminal basically ends up choosing "The Wrong One", who ends up beating the shit out of them.

Any suggestions on this is appreciated.

Edit: This can also be stuff like "Final Girl", where a slasher victim ends up being kick-ass. I would just prefer it to not be terrible like "Final Girl" was.

Sequential edit: I'm compiling these to basically make a list of films to watch throughout the end of the year. Preferably good, if possible.

Double edit - Suggestions so far, now edited for how well it fits the ideal. I've seen a lot of these, but it doesn't mean I won't watch them again:

Perfect fit or near it

• John Wick
  • Harry Brown
  • You're Next
  • Man on Fire
  • Hobo with a Shotgun (friend suggested this external to GB)
  • Taken
  • Sin City - The entire Marv story
  • Dredd (Mama made a poor decision as soon as she locked Dredd in)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (or mostly any of the Mad Max films, but the most recent (and the original) are the closest to this type of story)
  • A History of Violence

Pretty close

• Leon (The Professional) - Almost made it into perfect fit, but the crime/come-uppance isn't really the main part of the movie.
  • Crank
  • The Transporter (3 probably most closely fits, as someone abducts Statham's kid friend/ward/whatever)
  • Enough
  • Hard Candy
  • Drive
  • Point Blank
  • Payback
  • Death Sentence
  • Death Wish
  • I Saw the Devil
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight
  • Point Blank
  • Kung Fu Hustle
  • First Blood (Rambo 1)

Kinda close or at least with the right ideas in place

• Commando
  • Running Man
  • Double Jeopardy
  • They Live (friend also suggested this)
  • Kill Bill
  • Batman Begins (This only barely occurred to me, but the entire arc is about Bruce becoming "The wrong one" to commit a crime against from the start of the film)
  • Predator (Although this almost inverts this, as all of the main characters are extremely skilled and still get demolished)

Keep them coming if you got them.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Man on Fire is a great one.

Death Sentence

I also really like Edge of Darkness

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think there is some bleedover with revenge flicks, at least for what comes to mind.

Death Wish, Harry Brown, I Saw the Devil

I know what you mean though and sadly can't think of anything that fits the criteria more specifically.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime: I totally forgot about Harry Brown. That movie was awesome.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You're Next is literally the exact movie you wanted from Final Girl - according to film critics, anyway. I didn't think it was very good and revolutionary, but critics fucking love that movie.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I suppose it's more of a conventional revenge flick than anything since it takes quite a long time plot- and character development-wise to get there, but Enough with Jennifer Lopez was the first thing I thought of. Say what you want about that movie, she beat the shit out of that scummy dude.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Strife777

I Saw the Devil isn't quite exactly that (the protagonist's fiancee is the victim) but I've heard great things about it. I need to take the time to watch it.

I've heard it described in a review as the protagonist basically giving the killer blue balls by intervening just before he commits his crimes and never killing or turning him in, which sounded both kind of darkly funny but also interesting.

Edit: oh shit, there's also You're Next which is a fantastic movie, and this is coming from a guy who's not that interested in horror.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double Jeopardy is also a pretty fun thriller where the tables are turned on the bad dude. It's based on a factually incorrect understanding of the law, but dude just ignore that, it's fun as hell.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Saw the Devil isn't quite exactly that (the protagonist's fiancee is the victim) but I've heard great things about it. I need to take the time to watch it.

I've heard it described in a review as the protagonist basically giving the killer blue balls by intervening just before he commits his crimes and never killing or turning him in, which sounding both kind of darkly funny but also interesting.

Strange that you're speaking so conclusively about a movie you haven't actually seen. The question is ultimately about the bad guy getting in way over his or her head because of the victim they chose, and the OP uses The Equalizer as an example, which is a movie about a skilled killer enacting vengeance for their offenses against another person. I Saw the Devil has a few key scenes that absofuckinlutely fit that bill.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You're Next is probably the most 'on the nose' when it comes to a Final Girl who ends up as a kick ass survivalist. Scream is the other one, though besides some neat spins on genretropes and a great villian it isn't nearly as precious as some people say it is. Mostly I'm pissed off that it taught people that 'virgins-can't-die' is a slasher trope when it isn't. Otherwise Friday The 13th Part VII (New Blood I think is the subtitle) has a pretty great last half our which is basically Carrie against Jason. The hour up until that point is real bad, especially because of cutaways from nearly all of the kills, but if you're looking for great final showdowns in slasher films, this is the one. Well that and Part 3 also has a very iconic beatdown between the final girl and Jason.

If we're talking action films Die Hard would be my go-to average-man takes out bad guys movie, Predator my man-against-impossible-odds film.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Ah, the old "you have no idea who you're fucking with" genre. Yeah, those movies can be pretty fun. If you'd like something a bit older, I'd suggest Commando, Payback, or The Long Kiss Goodnight. They don't quite fit the genre as well as something like John Wick, but all have a lot of underestimating someone's abilities.

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're Next! is what you get when you put an actual competent and intelligent person in a home invasion film.

I thought it was pretty good.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard it described in a review as the protagonist basically giving the killer blue balls by intervening just before he commits his crimes and never killing or turning him in, which sounding both kind of darkly funny but also interesting.

Edit: oh shit, there's also You're Next which is a fantastic movie, and this is coming from a guy who's not that interested in horror.

I Saw the Devil is a real rough movie. It isn't funny, it isn't satisfying, and that's the point. It's a very dark revenge tale and the final shot is one of the most haunting and memorable I've ever seen in a film. It can be summarized by the old adage: He who seeks vengeance must dig two graves; one for his enemy, and one for himself.

HIGHLY recommend that movie though.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea "you're next" is kinda the only example that comes to mind. The premise is clearly rare since for the victim to be more skilled than the assailant the initial concept is unlikely to happen.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your inclusion of The Equalizer has thrown me off a bit and I feel like I'm casting a very wide net but here goes:

Kill Bill

The Transporter

Hard Candy

First Blood

I Saw The Devil

Fulltime Killer (this is a stretch but you should still watch this movie - Exiled too)

The Killer (John Woo)

Drive

You're Next

Point Blank

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silver-Streak

Thanks all. So far the only films suggested I've not seen are You're Next and I Saw the Devil. I'll check those out. Keep the suggestions coming if you have them.

I've edited the OP with a list of everything I've seen suggested so far.

@technician: Thanks for these. First Blood and The Killer might be pushing it a bit. Hard Candy is a bit of a weird pick, but I'd say yes, that definitely fits. The Transporter 3 is actually probably closer to fitting the bill. I don't know about Kill Bill, the opening scene may count, but the rest of it is much more revenge flick. I'll throw these up there.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monetarydread

Hard Candy. I used a spoiler block for the movie title because just being mentioned in this thread is a spoiler. It is a movie that is worth watching once though.

ignatz27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Charley Varrick," a really good Don Siegel movie with Walter Matthau. Come to think of it, "Hopscotch" with Matthau also kind of fits. Don't screw with Walter Matthau.

And, of course..."Home Alone."

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Technician

@silver-streak: I feel like the the beginning of John Wick and the beginning of Kill Bill are very similar, although the circumstances in Kill Bill are more serious for the protagonist.

I haven't seen The Transporter movies in a while but doesn't he get set up at the beginning of all three movies?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does predator count?

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: I'm really not. His main point was about victims turning on their assailant and besting them in every way. I was simply saying it wasn't "quite" like that. I'm not making any qualitative or definitive judgment on any of it. The Equalizer is also not exactly what he's asking for, but that's fine too.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By handlas

Preservation. It's on Netflix. I've been singing it's praise to deaf ears mostly. It's got similarities to You're Next, I'd say.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kcin

@kcin: I'm really not. His main point was about victims turning on their assailant and besting them in every way. I was simply saying it wasn't "quite" like that. I'm not making any qualitative or definitive judgment on any of it. The Equalizer is also not exactly what he's asking for, but that's fine too.

He literally cites The Equalizer in his post.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Yes I know that. What I'm saying is, he's also not exactly respecting his request. Not saying that's bad, everybody here is giving loosely what he asked for. He might have mentionned The Equalizer, but what he asked is literally "[...] where the supposed victim actually ends up being extremely skilled and takes out their assailants?" and "[...] any movie where a serial killer, kidnapper, or otherwise other criminal basically ends up choosing "The Wrong One", who ends up beating the shit out of them." Denzel Washington isn't quite a victim in that movie. In fact, he's kind of the one who starts shit, not the bad guys.

When it comes to I Saw the Devil, I don't need to see the movie to know the premise, in which the protagonist isn't the victim, his fiancee is. You could argue that it also makes him a victim, but that's beside the point.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

Deliverance feels that way to me.

Aja's version of The Hills Have Eyes kind of ends up being that way. I think it's underrated too.

Martyrs and Audition both play on similar concepts, though I wouldn't be sure that they fit exactly in what you asked for.

Anyway, all a bunch of fun films.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By Sooperspy

Like others in this thread, I cannot recommend I Saw The Devil enough. Easily one of the best movies of the 2010's.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kcin

@strife777 said:

@kcin: Yes I know that. What I'm saying is, he's also not exactly respecting his request. Not saying that's bad, everybody here is giving loosely what he asked for. He might have mentionned The Equalizer, but what he asked is literally "[...] where the supposed victim actually ends up being extremely skilled and takes out their assailants?" and "[...] any movie where a serial killer, kidnapper, or otherwise other criminal basically ends up choosing "The Wrong One", who ends up beating the shit out of them." Denzel Washington isn't quite a victim in that movie. In fact, he's kind of the one who starts shit, not the bad guys.

When it comes to I Saw the Devil, I don't need to see the movie to know the premise, in which the protagonist isn't the victim, his fiancee is. You could argue that it also makes him a victim, but that's beside the point.

Fair enough. I just think this is too literal of a reading, and will yield fewer results from a selection of movies where the execution is ultimately the same regardless of whether or not the protagonist is personally the victim or is instead affiliated with a victim. In the end, all of these movies are about the bad guy suddenly facing a break in their pattern of dominance because someone they didn't expect is now wrecking their shit, and being a personal fan of movies like this, I don't personally feel that the impetus for the startling swath of vengeance is as important to the movie as the vengeance itself.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't that like every movie?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RonGalaxy

Old Boy, Death Proof, First Mad Max, pretty much every revenge movie. You're, basically, asking for a list of revenge movies.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't that like every movie?

In particular, even some Disney movies fit this. Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians, Lion King...though maybe not what the OP is looking for.

I think Lion King did it best.

crunksmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just thought I would throw this out there as a really great example of the opposite of what you are talking about. Blue Ruin is an amazing revenge thriller where the guy getting revenge feels like a regular person with regular person skills. An amazing edit from the movie that illustrates this point(Spoilers): The main character has an arrow in his leg. He dumps a disinfectant on it to a lot of pain. He moves pliers to the arrow to start yanking it out. Just as he starts to pull, cut to hospital.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Home Alone

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By shivermetimbers

@memonk said:

Home Alone

I came in here to post this and was shocked that it wasn't like the first thing mentioned.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone mentioned Death Proof?

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Busta Rhymes in Halloween H20

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Siege.

Home Alone.

Any Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Rambo 4 is kinda like this

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

PREDATOR

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone. updated the list again, and added some suggestions I thought of and local friends made. Can't believe I didn't think of the entire Marv story in Sin City. That's nearly the epitome of this type of thing beyond John Wick.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By sweep  Moderator

....Rambo?

Also, A History Of Violence.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malice is a good example of a neo-noir that meets your criteria.

Also, lots of classic film noir could fit, but I'm not sure if you're interested in older films.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Silver-Streak

@sweep: First blood was suggested, I just forgot to throw it up there. A History of Violence is a good suggestion.

Edit: now that I think of it, that's a great suggestion. It's also an awesome movie. Viggo Mortensen plays an awesome not-quite-good guy (even in The Prophecy)

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

SALT? That movie is dumb but it kinda starts off with you thinking that Angelina Jolie is falesly accused of being a spy and then holy shit she is a Russian spy. I can't remember how it resolves though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wouldn't the title to this post legitamately be the plot for every single action movie? If the main character victim sucked they'd probably would of been killed off in the first 10 minutes.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: William Hurt was the true underdog saving an otherwise mediocre movie.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By doctordonkey

Law Abiding Citizen sounds up your alley.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a weird request.

The Crow, lol?

Denzel's The Equalizer was pretty boring. There was never a point when he was in any danger.

Buddy900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silance of the lambs. Hannibal was much smarter than the cops.