Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4551  Edited By Seikenfreak

Wind River 4/5

I liked it. Fairly cut and dry crime/thriller, rural town format but it worked for me. I like Jeremy Renner.

Afterwards, I kept thinking how I wish they'd make more games with stories like this. Story telling and suspense. Mystery. Eerie-ness. That sort of not so obvious evil vibe from your environment. More games like L.A. Noire or something. Like it doesn't need to be very game mechanics heavy.. but focuses more on the visuals, cinematography, voice acting, pacing etc. True Detective or Mindhunters. Kinda dark stories or undertones.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@horseman6: I disagree with you regarding Cap 2/3, Wonder Woman and Spiderman. There are stakes in all of those movies. They're fun movies, but still take themselves seriously. What these movies have that Thor didn't was that they feel genuine. Wonder Woman and Spiderman: Homecoming have main characters that feel real and they have to deal with real problems. They just feel more powerful when they have their moments (No Man's Land scene in Wonder Woman and the between a rock and the hard place scene in Spiderman).

I also think you're right about if this movie came out 5 years ago, I would be buzzing. It would be because I can't believe they spent $150+ million on so much Jack Kirby goodness. I have come to expect a certain quality to these films now. There are standards for these movies now. They can do better (Wonder Woman and Spiderman: Homecoming were released this year).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@colonel_pockets: thing is, I didn’t like Spider-Man and I though Wonder Woman was way overhyped. Spider-Man was well made but I didn’t like the characters; Wonder Woman just felt like a DC film in the marvel universe, and while I love gal gadot, it just didn’t work for me. It almost felt like it was trying to be Captain America 1 but couldn’t quite get there. Cap 2 felt like a generic action film and Cap 3 was good, but it should have been Avengers 2.

I have different taste in superhero films than most, I like the weirder stuff; so I loved Thor 1, Gaurdians of the galaxy, and Logan but everything else was pretty meh.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4554 sweep  Moderator

The Wind Rises, Studio Ghibli

The animation is absolutely staggering. There's some shots where a whole street of people are mingling together and the level of coordination for that shit is insane. I've spent years learning how to do that with a computer so the idea of a team of people doing it by hand blows my mind a little bit.

I have to admit my appreciation for this film was heavily dependent on having seen The Kingdom Of Dreams And Madness immediately beforehand, because The Wind Rises is actually quite a dull story, and without the context that Miyazaki provides in the documentary surrounding it's production a lot of the nuance would have been missed. It's also a very weird subject to glorify with such a bright and colourful film; despite its strong anti-war sentiment it's still technically a celebration of the invention of Japanese war planes that were used against the allies, which made me feel slightly uncomfortable when portrayed through the ghibli aesthetic.

From a technical/biographical standpoint I loved it. At face value though, it's somewhat lacking. I'm glad I watched it, though I probably wouldn't recommend to anyone who wasn't a die-hard Ghibli fan or who had a strong appreciation of technical animation principles.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@horseman6: Fair enough. My tastes don't exactly align with the masses either. I thought Thor 1 was boring! Guardians of the Galaxy was great. The sequel? Not so much..... It probably helps that I've read some of these comics, so part of my excitement is just seeing these characters come to life.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, I did it. I got through all the Bourne movies.

Jason Bourne: My dude must have been listening to me complain about how he never wears hats, because he wore a haaaaaat. I am so proud of him! I liked where this movie started, and I like where it ended, but I'm less thrilled with how it got there. A Jason Bourne that's just mindlessly fighting because that's all he knows how to do is an interesting thing to explore, but the movie doesn't spend much time exploring that vein because it's too busy pulling some Spectre-level bullshit with the guy that killed Jason's dad and murdering Julia Stiles, presumably because she begged them to stop finding increasingly convoluted ways to bring her character back into proceedings. Alicia Vikander is suitably cold-blooded in her role as an aggressively ambitious agent, and it feels good to see her inability to keep herself from boasting about how clever she is come back and bite her in the ass. Tommy Lee Jones is wasted - he also is somehow responsible for killing Jason's dad, because of course he is - and it is also weird timeline-wise to see how much the fallout from the Bourne Legacy, where everyone from Ultimatum seems to have gotten off the hook, is sort of reversed so they can bring in all new characters. Also, much like every other movie after Identity, lots of people staring at security camera footage and going "MY GOD IT'S BOURNE." Please don't make any more of these, the quality just trends down. Plus, you have killed (or arrested) literally all of Jason's allies so the next movie would have to make up a bunch of new characters to help him along, and frankly I don't think they've got the chops for that. 3/5 hats

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Loving Vincent 3/5

More than anything, I love the fact that this movie exists, and I really appreciate all the time and effort that went into it. The story/narrative of the movie is fine. But the main selling point - the paintings - are pretty hit or miss. I suppose that's what happens when you have over 100 artists, but it is pretty jarring seeing a constant jump between painting styles/quality.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4559  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Colossal: 4/5

A thematically confusing movie at times turns to be potently cathartic at the end. Definitely one of my favorite films this year. Jason Sudeikis needs more work, he knocks it out of the park no matter what he does.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4560  Edited By Pezen

Paterson - 4/5 - A bussdriver and poet lives his every day life with his artistic girlfriend and dog. The movie feels like a journal of sorts almost bordering on being less about an overall story than just a small piece of someone’s life. But I really enjoyed it for it’s introspection of the ordinary. Plus, it reignited my urge to start writing again.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Tokyo project 1/5, the most pretentious shit I have seen on HBO in a long time.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Baby Sitter

Went in without expectations and came out super surprised how great it was. Some good acting and a likable main lead kid made it super enjoyable, it was hilarious too. If you liked tucker and dale vs evil I highly suggest giving this one a try,

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor Ragnarok

Saw it this past weekend. Loved it. Really a pretty funny movie. Chris Hemsworth is a better comedic actor than I ever gave him credit for. And an actress of Cate Blanchett's caliber was needed in that role to proclaim herself the Goddess of death without it coming off as too cringey. Lots of good character actors too. I'm not aware of Taika Watiti's work, but now I want to dig through his back catalog.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Finally saw get out 4/5 what a long series of awkward scenes that movie is.

acertaindeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Watched Baby Driver with the family. I saw it, it was a solid 8/10 for me. I loved the entire concept of the film but I thought the story and "realtionship" was a bit dry.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4566  Edited By BeachThunder

Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach! 2/5

Hopefully next time I watch this I'll get the good ending...

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: I highly recommend checking out What We Do in the Shadows. It might be one of the funniest damn movies I've ever seen.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#4568  Edited By pauljeremiah

Saw Paddington 2 today, was just delightfully charming.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am watching Amazing Spider-man 2 right now. The lowest score possible... the absolute lowest score possible.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League is a uninteresting slog of a movie that is lazily executed on just about every level. Unlike BvS, which was so bafflingly incompetent that it was a compelling disasterpiece, Justice League seems intent on trudging along to its finale while hitting the points you expect it to with as little fanfare or risk as possible. Unlike Suicide Squad, where you could entertain yourself by seeing how they Frakensteined the movie together in post, there is little interest to be gained working out where the cuts are because they are on everything. I understand they wanted to pivot and take the series in a different direction but it is a change in tone, colour and character that doesn't feel earned for one second. It sucks. It sucks in the most boring, most risk averse possible way. If BvS was a roaring dumpster fire threatening to engulf a whole block, Justice League was someone holding a nearly empty Bic lighter. 1 out of 12 laser beams shot into the sky.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, it took me nearly a year to do it (because I have been cool on the series since the prequels), but I finally sat down and watched Rogue One.

Hey, it turns out that is a pretty good movie. I'm not huge on the "let's make a movie about every little thing and also wall my precious boy Kyle Katarn (and Jan Ors, who fucking rules, okay?) off from the Star Wars canon" premise, but as it turns out they made a solid movie which let you watch a Star Wars film in which the Skywalker family played only a minor role. I think that's where the good stories in Star Wars are, and if you're going to make a billion goddamn Star Wars movies it would be cool to see some without having to shoehorn a Skywalker in. CGI Leia at the end looked uncanny AF in a way that CGI Tarkin didn't - which, I think, is because Peter Cushing looked pretty damn uncanny by default. Your favorite serial killer and Hideo Kojima BFF Mads Mikkelsen is also very good, though I wish he had more screen time. In fact I kind of wish a lot of characters got a little more room to breathe - Forrest Whittaker's Saw Gurerra is barely in the movie, and his reunion with Jyn falls a little flat because there's no time at all before shit hits the fan, for example - but in spite of that the movie hangs together and is pretty enjoyable! Good enough that it brought me back on board with the series in a way that Force Awakens really didn't. Of course, from all appareances Disney is done bringing in directors to put their own spin on the franchise (at least they decided to give Rian Johnson another three of these things, even though the thought of which is actually exhausting), so maybe this was just a one off. I guess we will find out, huh?

4/5 secret revenge plots

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched Spiderman homecoming. Give it a 7/10. The first half is a bit bland and meh, but I've been out of high-school for over a decade and vastly prefer a spider-man who is at least in college if not a full-fledged adult. Teenager angst in movies doesn't click with me the way it did back when I was a kid. That said, I realize that I'm not the demo for the character, so that's fine. Just wasn't my thing.

That said the 'twist' (which I won't spoil) caught me, but not the person I was watching it with by surprise, and I think in the 2nd half the movie picked up. Essentially everything post them unlocking the suits full potential (spoiler free as possible) onward I enjoyed a great deal. Raised what would have been a 5/10 to a solid 7. Would recommend, especially if your someone who digs the "Spider Man as a teenager in highschool' dynamic that's the current trend for the character in most (all?) mediums.

Also the villian was pretty good. Yeah, I can see where people kinda had a "He wasn't a bad guy, Stark was!" and the 'yah we are taking over your contract is void screw your business' was a real weak way to spark off a villain, very stupid on the part of the city. Then again..the government makes contracts they don't keep, or makes contracts with one hand the other doesn't know about (to butcher a saying) so..that's real to life at least.

Don't care to see again, would watch sequel.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw Raw over the weekend, the French-Belgian body horror film. I don't watch a lot of horror films, but this may be one of my favorites. Although it doesn't peddle in jump scares and doesn't contain as many gory scenes as you might expect, the film's tense and unsettling all the way through. It's also very well-acted; Garance Marillier in particular, does an excellent job playing a dual character of sorts.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Free Fire - 3/5

Fun concept and fun characters.

Slows considerably when these wounded characters are crawling about, though that's amusing in its own right. Would have benefitted from much more establishing shots throughout, and maybe a bit more distinguishing makrs for character positions. It was quite tedious trying to follow tactical shifts and relative positioning when we're just getting shots of everyone laying behind generic warehouse shit.

Worth a watch though!

ishika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4576  Edited By ishika

Recently i watched Thor,Ragnarok,one of best Marvel movie. I will rate 9 out of 10.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow. I think it started really well. Both the first and second act were great, but then suddenly it just felt unnecessarily rushed during most of the third act. 3/5

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is definitely a contender for my favorite movie this year. It's the third movie from Martin McDonagh and I think it is easily his best work. Which is saying a lot since In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths are great movies. I would also say it is Frances McDormand's best performance since Fargo and if she doesn't get nominated for a Best Actress Oscar it would be criminal.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@bartok: Saw it last night and I really liked it as well. It's sitting pretty high in my ranking with only The Florida Project above it. There are only a couple other films I'm looking forward to that I suspect will knock it down on my personal list (The Phantom Thread and The Shape of Water).

DAGSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The Witches of Oz." A good movie and one of my son's favorites.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb4b2e027234
deactivated-5eb4b2e027234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@creme: I haven’t seen the movie, but how can Elton John ever be a negative?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4583  Edited By liquiddragon
  • Thor: Ragnarok - Top tier superhero movie and a good comedy.
  • Brawl in Cell Block 99 - An interesting movie that feels small but long.
  • A Ghost Story - A ballsy movie that's worth seeing through.
  • Good Time - An intense movie with an insane soundtrack.
  • The Killing of a Sacred Deer - A vaguely disappointing movie by a talented director.
  • Murder on the Orient Express - A movie full of potential that doesn't find its footing.
  • Predestination - A good sci-fi movie that thinks it's smarter than it is.
  • The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Moments of terrifying and iconic images and sounds elevate an otherwise dull flick.
  • Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - Revealing realities of young addicts is moving and makes its amateurish qualities forgivable.
  • The Salesman - Another solid work by respected director.
  • After the Storm - Reminded me of his "Still Walking" which I love.
  • Dope Sick Love - An unbelievable documentary.
  • The Jeffrey Dahmer Files - Boring. Skip, skip, skip.
  • Justice League - Fun turn off your brain movie.
  • In This Corner of the World - A great movie but one of the worst paced I've ever seen.
  • Lady Bird - Nothing new but so well done.
  • I Don't Feel at Home in this World - Biggest surprise of the year. Didn't expect much but it's good spirited.
  • Mudbound - Painful in a good way? Very good but did not enjoy watching it.
  • Personal Shopper - An interesting world and story that was never as good as I wanted it to be.
  • City of Ghosts - Eye opening. Kinda drags but people should see it for sure.
  • Three Billboards in Ebbing, Missouri - Really, really good.
  • Last Flag Flying - Wish it was a bit snappier but rock solid.
  • Coco - Did not know much about it and came out happy.
  • The Square - I was impressed. There is a lot here.
  • Seven Psychopaths - Really enjoyable movie.
  • Raw - It's gross but kinda sweet and has a lot of good qualities.
Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4584  Edited By Ford_Dent

Finally got round to watching Macgruber, after hearing Dan talk about it basically all the time.

I dunno that it's the perfect movie, and not all of the jokes really worked for me (the scene with the Big Show reeked of gay panic and I was not especially into that), but man Val Kilmer is so good in this. It's delightful. 4/5 sticks of celery

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Get Out

I get what they were going for, but it didn't execute well enough for me. Very well made, good points, but sort of bland and boring. There were good nods and moments, but a lot of it was super on-the-nose.

Were I watching it alone, I would have stopped watching, frankly.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lady Bird

A coming-of-age story with unique direction. It has a lot of those familiar tropes of these kinds of movies, but it doesn't pander to young audiences like many of its ilk seem intent on doing. For instance: there's no prevail "screw the adults" sentiment, there are numerous interesting bits of characterization for supporting roles that feel fleshed out even as they are left unexplored, and it tackles actually troubling subjects that them dang youths tend to face growing up. I love Greta Gerwig, and her writing/direction is really what makes this movie.

4/5

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ford_dent said:

Finally got round to watching Macgruber, after hearing Dan talk about it basically all the time.

Kind of surprising to find homophobic jokes in the first 10 minutes after how much Dan and Abby seem to love this movie. If two guys kissing is the punchline to your joke maybe your film's not "perfect".

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched The Founder and it is really good film about an awful person who will never get their comeuppance. The film would probably do better to focus a bit more on his stoush with the original McDonald brothers instead of slavishly following around this douchebag huckster who we're maybe meant to buy into the mythmaking of even just a little bit. 3.5/5 Powdered Milkshakes.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4589  Edited By rawrz

Doctor Strange

4/5

Was trippy and interesting, nice to see something slightly different in the Marvel Universe with all the magic and sorcery.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4590  Edited By project343

Okja. Adored it. 5/5.

I'm also a huge fan of Snowpiercer, so this may just be a style preference thing. But it has a ton of personality, a great message, and isn't afraid to scream that message at the top of its lungs.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project343: If you haven't, check the director's other movies, they're all better. Memories of Murder is considered a classic, I really like The Host, and people really like Mother.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: I generally disregard anytime anyone says something is "perfect" as hyperbolic, and I certainly can't throw stones at someone enjoying stuff with bad jokes in it - but man, that whole sequence rubbed me the wrong way. So many of the other jokes are good! You could have left that out! It's a lazy joke that doesn't land and really threw me off. That the movie recovers and goes on to be pretty enjoyable is testament to the fact they could have done better.

how92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoiler Warning: I watched Logan for the first time yesterday. I'm still thinking about it. Everything I would say about it is probably in movies with Mikey. Why it's sticking with me though is that I was sad. I felt my eyes water. It wasn't about Laura losing Logan. It was because I lost him too. In my memory, I've never cried while experiencing a story in any medium. I'd feel a bit down if the story and character deserved it in a kind of intellectual way. Like I knew it earned it's feelings in others but was left just emotionless. I really liked Hugh Jackman's wolverine. It was the best way to end the character arc. I guess I'd give it a 9/10.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 6/10

Beautiful to watch but after seeing the most of the anime series this felt like a soup made from random elements from those animes. Just as the story was a original one the sets could have used more imagination than copy pasting. Can't really think much to say except the movie being overall just fine.

sandrawilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill Bill Vol. 2

5/5 One of my favorite movies. Every frame is dramatic, the storytelling is fantastic and the acting is good enough. Tarantino just has a way of capturing me from frame 1 to the last frame.

kajankua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man 2, it wasn't bad. But the battle climaxes were a bit lame.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Room 4/5

No, not The Room. Very different.

Basically, it's a movie that's very loosely based on the Josef Fritzl case. It ended up being far more than I expected.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The Boss Baby

I gave it a 7 on IMDB. I don't usually like animated family comedies but my wife wanted to watch it and I was surprised. The animation was great, the movie was full of creative sequences in the main character's imagination and it was pretty damn funny.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4599  Edited By DharmaBum

My favorites from this year:

• Blade Runner 2049
  • Wind River
  • Mother
  • Lady Bird
  • The Meyerowitz Stories
  • Trainspotting 2
  • The Beguiled
  • Atomic Blonde
  • Wheelman

I'm still interested in seeing The Florida Project and Phantom Thread once it hits theaters. PTA's last one, Inherent Vice, was a clunker, but I love everything else he's done.

Most disappointing would be Dunkirk, Logan Lucky, and Three Billboards (which I made the mistake of seeing on Thanksgiving weekend with an obnoxious audience that ruined the experience).

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give that of Coco 9/10 Pixar's movie about the Land of the Dead and Land of the Living and Music. Probably one of the best they had made.