Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

All PC Versions of ME3 Require Origin

• 157 results
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By shiftymagician

Origin hasn't screwed with me yet, so I'm fine with this.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Andorski

What?!? I wanted to buy the game on GoG!

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Bleh, ever since I had to manually edit my registry to get BF3 working the prospect of me buying anything for Origin again has dimmed considerably. Not that I'm expecting much from ME3.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By jakob187

@Pie said:

Big surprise?

Well, after The Old Republic coming out and not requiring Origin at all to run it...

...yeah, it is a bit of a surprise to me.

At the same time, this is a "flagship" EA title, so that makes it less surprising.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@ccampb89 said:

Isn't it kind of pointless to care about this now? Origin exists people, stop acting like gaming deserves some kind of freedom from DRM act and just live with the fact that companies are trying to make money.

I worry about the future when this is the kind of attitude people take. Yes, take that bold stand against yourself.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#106  Edited By Commisar123

Well they aren't requiring a constant internet connection so it seems to have no real impact on the game at all.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By kindgineer

@Marokai said:

@ccampb89 said:

Isn't it kind of pointless to care about this now? Origin exists people, stop acting like gaming deserves some kind of freedom from DRM act and just live with the fact that companies are trying to make money.

I worry about the future when this is the kind of attitude people take. Yes, take that bold stand against yourself.

And I worry about the fact that we have hipsters sitting at home thinking they know everything about the business. It makes sense to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about, but to constantly hear random people on the internet blab on about their distaste in this kind of stuff is like listening to a man tell me how to do my job that has no experience.

I took the other road because that kind of thing doesn't harm my gaming experience. Why should I care any differently?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccampb89 said:

@Marokai said:

@ccampb89 said:

And I worry about the fact that we have hipsters sitting at home thinking they know everything about the business. It makes sense to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about, but to constantly hear random people on the internet blab on about their distaste in this kind of stuff is like listening to a man tell me how to do my job that has no experience.

I took the other road because that kind of thing doesn't harm my gaming experience. Why should I care any differently?

I am no 'hipster,' I just have a problem with people that are so adverse to being asked to think about something that might inconvenience them, that they start making excuses for shit that gives them a sub-optimal experience or serve absolutely no purpose. It is the Stockholm-syndrome-seeming root of a ton of societal problems we're facing right now across the board. Origin shouldn't exist. It's a completely superfluous service that exists because EA is greedy and wants to grab everyone into their own service after seeing the runaway success of Steam over the years. 

Saying shit like "Stop acting like gaming deserves any sort of freedom from DRM" is a pretty gross thing to say. Give a company an inch and they will take a mile. Make excuses for one little thing, and they will go further. I understand why they do the things they do. I understand the fact that they want money. That doesn't mean their every action is immediately excusable just because they have a reason. Remember when DLC was a few dollars? And then ten? Now even fifteen is becoming rarer. Remember when old games used to be rereleased on download services for ten, fifteen dollars? Now they're bumped up to twenty.  All of this happened within a single generation of video games, and it ain't like inflation took off after 2007.

At every step of the way, people made excuses for it. Companies see that, and then they go further. They will only stop when people quit excusing it. That will either happen when consumers are literally nickeled and dimed to death, or they stop being good little consumers and wise up.
    kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By kindgineer

@Marokai said:

@ccampb89 said:

@Marokai said:

@ccampb89 said:

I am no 'hipster,' I just have a problem with people that are so adverse to being asked to think about something that might inconvenience them, that they start making excuses for shit that gives them a sub-optimal experience or serve absolutely no purpose. It is the Stockholm-syndrome-seeming root of a ton of societal problems we're facing right now across the board. Origin shouldn't exist. It's a completely superfluous service that exists because EA is greedy and wants to grab everyone into their own service after seeing the runaway success of Steam over the years.

Saying shit like "Stop acting like gaming deserves any sort of freedom from DRM" is a pretty gross thing to say. Give a company an inch and they will take a mile. Make excuses for one little thing, and they will go further. I understand why they do the things they do. I understand the fact that they want money. That doesn't mean their every action is immediately excusable just because they have a reason. Remember when DLC was a few dollars? And then ten? Now even fifteen is becoming rarer. Remember when old games used to be rereleased on download services for ten, fifteen dollars? Now they're bumped up to twenty. All of this happened within a single generation of video games, and it ain't like inflation took off after 2007. At every step of the way, people made excuses for it. Companies see that, and then they go further. They will only stop when people quit excusing it. That will either happen when consumers are literally nickeled and dimed to death, or they stop being good little consumers and wise up.

I was, in no regard, calling you a hipster. However, I do believe that users much like the OP making ridiculous threads like this are just as equal in the cause of why we have services like this shoved down our throats. This kind of "this shouldn't be here!" attitude without anything to back it up other than a little whining is just as harmful as someone running around telling everyone it's okay what they are doing. I opposed Origin when it originally was to be put in place, but the placement of Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 both made me stop caring because I wanted to enjoy my games. I have had no problems in DLC prices rising, there has never been a set-in-stone price for those types of products so they pushed farther. Like any company they will push until people no longer purchase them and then find the sweet spot and we will have to live with it. As many intelligent men have said before, voting with you wallet is a futile act to try to spread: This is an entertainment industry and when people see that their game goes up $10 higher, they bitch and then purchase. Those who decide to walk away and tell themselves that $10 more is too much, I am all for them.

Origin is barely a sub-optimal experience. Yes, there have been bugs with it, but such is the way when new things are released that were unable to truly do high amounts of stress testing. Battlefield 3 works fine through the service and for me it is an easier way to catalog EA's new releases much like it is easier to use Steam instead of visiting websites like IGN and Game Stop that are filled with ads and filler I could care less about. I don't support Origin, however, I still cannot find a reason for people to get all up in arms about a service that is barely a wrinkle when it comes to their gaming time. There is also such a thing as reacting too soon and when the time comes when shit goes down, they moan and no one will listen.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#110  Edited By Dagbiker
    @david3cm

I'm going to go out on limb here and say that you will need origin to play any mass effect/battlefield sequel, or any other block buster PC-centric EA game. (OK, OK, those games are being console-ified, but they definitely started with PC in mind)

EDIT: Also, I kind of tuned out of the whole EA/Steam beef, what was EA's issue? "Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content." This really seems like the opposite of how Steam operates, or am I extremely misinformed about this?

Ea wanted to sell dlc directly to you, steam didnt like that. They want their 30%. EA pulled their games.
    Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't mind having to use origin, but I still think its completely wrong that you are required to be on an internet connection to install the game. Sure, compared to ubisofts crap, this is nothing... I just miss the old days, of only a few years ago. Buy a pc game, install it, patch if needed, play said game.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Ketchupp

Origin isn't *bad*. It's just not fun having games spread across multiple digital distribution services.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ShadowSkill11

It's pretty much expected. I hate having to use Origin more than I hate Ubisoft's UPlay garbage. I think the thing that tans my hide the most about EA and Origin is the line of PR bullshit they give about Steams so-called restrictive patching services they are straight up lying about. They are selling people a bowl of shit and calling it chocolate ice-cream grinning the whole time with corn and nuts in thier teeth. THey simply don't want to pay Valve a cut of the profits for using thier store to sell thier game or DLC. That's it. Steam has built up so much good will with me over the years I'd rather buy Mass Effect 3 twice on Steam than once on Origin.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#114  Edited By crusader8463

Looks like I won't be playing Mass Effect 3. Why does EA hate money so much?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#115  Edited By StarvingGamer

@crusader8463 said:

Looks like you'll be missing out on Mass Effect 3. Why do you hate Origin so much?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#116  Edited By crusader8463

@StarvingGamer said:

@crusader8463 said:

Looks like you'll be missing out on Mass Effect 3. Why do you hate Origin so much?

I never said I will be missing out on Mass Effect 3, just that I won't be buying it. As for the other half of your question, I don't want to have to install a dozen different programs to play all my games. I don't want to have to start keeping a list of what games I own on what digital platforms so I can find them when I want them. I refuse to support a program that is segmenting the market and walling off games behind services. I also don't trust EA to not screw me over the first chance they get if they think it could earn them a few extra dollars.

And to any of the hate replies I'm sure to get I really don't care what others think on the matter. That's my stance and that's my reasoning. If they want to start their own service and try to compete that's all fine and dandy, but walling off their games from a store that has the largest audience on that platform would be like EA saying they will no longer sell their games at EB Games any more because they are opening their own EA stores across the world to sell nothing but EA games.

EDIT:Looks like I did actually say I won't be playing ME3. Meant that to say "I wont be buying Mass Effect 3."

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#117  Edited By Kidavenger

@Dagbiker said:

@david3cm

I'm going to go out on limb here and say that you will need origin to play any mass effect/battlefield sequel, or any other block buster PC-centric EA game. (OK, OK, those games are being console-ified, but they definitely started with PC in mind)

EDIT: Also, I kind of tuned out of the whole EA/Steam beef, what was EA's issue? "Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content." This really seems like the opposite of how Steam operates, or am I extremely misinformed about this?

Ea wanted to sell dlc directly to you, steam didnt like that. They want their 30%. EA pulled their games.

This is bullshit and I wish people would stop posting if they have no idea what they are talking about.

UBISOFT sells DLC in their store: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_CA/pd/productID.242105100/Assassins_Creed%C2%AE_Revelations_Ancestors_Character_Pack.html

THQ sells DLC in their store: http://store.thq.com/store/thq/en_US/pd/Red-Faction-Armageddon-%E2%80%93-Path-to-War-DLC/productID.232470900

Neither of those companies were pulled off of Steam, EA wants a monopoly on their DLC, that's a fact and the only thing that can be conclusively proven as an issue between EA and Steam, anything else is just guesses.

EA is clearly in the wrong here, Steam called them out and EA is being a big baby about it.

EA pulling out of Steam does nothing but hurt the developers because people like me won't buy stuff not on Steam, EA should be serving their customers; not forcing them do what they want, it's disgusting.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By StarvingGamer

@crusader8463: So because Valve did it first/best, no other company should be allowed to do it without you stealing from them?

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By captain_max707
    @StarvingGamer said:

@crusader8463: So because Valve did it first/best, no other company should be allowed to do it without you stealing from them?

There's no problem with competition. However, competition depends on choice, something severely lacking here. If it were on Steam, more people would buy it there because it is more widely used and loved. EA knows this, and instead of making their service better to compete, they just make it exclusive. That's my problem. People say competition is good, but this isn't competition. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By StarvingGamer

@captain_max707: Valve is a publisher/developer, and in that respect is a direct competitor to EA. All of Valve's games are available only through Steam.

This situation is no different from EA only releasing their games through Origin. The problem is that Steam has become so ubiquitous with digital distribution on PC that most people think of it as a neutral third party program.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#121  Edited By Kidavenger

@StarvingGamer said:

@captain_max707: Valve is a publisher/developer, and in that respect is a direct competitor to EA. All of Valve's games are available only through Steam.

This situation is no different from EA only releasing their games through Origin. The problem is that Steam has become so ubiquitous with digital distribution on PC that most people think of it as a neutral third party program.

http://store.origin.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=718200&Env=BASE&productID=126579600

Valve has their games on Origin.

Edit: looks like they are just on Origin...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Kidavenger: I stand corrected. Thank you.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#123  Edited By korwin

Meh. Origin really isn't in the same league as Steam when it comes to services (no achievements, community functionality or stat tracking), but it's not really a big deal.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#124  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Origin as a download service - fine, whatever. As a service for playing games - dear fucking lord kill me now. My experience with BF3 and Origin has been horrible. Can't login, crashes, messes up patches, network goes down.. Goddamn. That shit is awful.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#125  Edited By Svenzon

Haven't decided which version to get. I played the other two on the 360 and I don't really feel like going through them again on PC, at least not yet. Either way, Origin doesn't bother me. It worked fine for Battlefield, so it shouldn't be a problem for Mass Effect. Seeing all the irrational hatred and threats of piracy across other message boards is fucking depressing.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By vitor

@Darkstar614 said:

Number 4 is the biggest load of PR bullshit I've ever read in my life. Steam is NOT the bad guy here, but boy do they make it seem like it.

"limits developers" oh you mean just EA first party developers who want to distrubute and sell their dlc exclusively through origin? SURE

Actually, they are sort of being dicks also. Other third party digital retailers are allowed to sell the game. It's just that EA wants to sell the DLC directly through the game, and bypass any retailer. As it stands, Steam has to take a cut from not just the base game, but even the DLC, even if you're not using their servers to provide it. As far as I'm concerned, if more money gets to go to the original creators instead of getting filtered through a middle man (even if it is Steam), then what's the problem?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kidavenger I have my doubts that you can actually run those games without installing Steam.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463 EA is fully within their rights to open their own store. If they wanted their store to be the only vendor with their products, they can do that too.

Also, did you just pretty much state you're going to pirate the game? You're going to play it, but not purchase it? Maybe you have a gamefly account, oh wait, they don't rent PC games.

Guess what, resorting to criminal behavior immediately disregards any integrity you had. You're not taking a stand, you're just stealing like a Goddamn cutpurse.

Also, where are you guys about every other company? Go raid the Uncharted board because you can't get it on 360 or PC, go raid the Pepsi board because they have exclusive rights to the Olive Garden.
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#129  Edited By isomeri

I had a really terrible customer experience when Battlefield 3 launched. I wasn't able to play the game at all during the first two days of release, and after that I continued having regular problems with Origin. However since then it seems like things have cooled down, and when Origin works I don't really mind it. Actually I'd live to see a similar browser-based interface in Mass Effect 3 as the guys at DICE created for BF3.

I'm more concerned on EA not fucking up my save transfer and making the PC-port something worth playing. The port of ME2 was great because you were able to run it on basically any machine. A friend of mine played through it on his first-gen MacBook Air! What I'm hoping for this time round is something extra for us who have beefier machines.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By penguindust

I don't like the idea of it but I'll take this type of verification over SOPA any day.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Korwin said:

Meh. Origin really isn't in the same league as Steam when it comes to services (no achievements, community functionality or stat tracking), but it's not really a big deal.

I wouldn't agree.  Origin can be quite the resource hog.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Rattle618

I have a feeling I will not have to deal with Origin ;)

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#133  Edited By tebbit

So, my question is: I am currently playing through ME1 and 2 on Steam. Will I be able to transfer my character to ME3 on Origin?

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By Shabs

*shrugs*

Will buy it on 360, and I'm pretty much done with EA after Mass Effect 3 anyway.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ChaosDent

If Origin can eliminate "Bioware Points" and the often broken and always confusing "Bioware Social Network" website that you have to use to download patches and DLC (as .exe files no less!), then it's a major improvement regardless of any other factors. After the mediocrity of Mass Effect 2 and the awfulness of Dragon Age 2 however, I can't really summon enough interest in what Bioware is doing to overcome my reluctance to sign on to yet another game distribution platform.

@Tebbit said:

So, my question is: I am currently playing through ME1 and 2 on Steam. Will I be able to transfer my character to ME3 on Origin?

I don't see why not. The save files should be in the same place, and even if they aren't you can always move them.
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Rattle618 said:

I have a feeling I will not have to deal with Origin ;)

why you going to pirate it you cheeky parasite you. its your fault these services exist.

cartek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By cartek

The thing I don't like about origin is that it doesn't really bring anything new to the digial distribution platform, it's simply a worse version of steam.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Ravenlight

I've been avoiding Origin mostly because it's new and seems like it's still finding its feet. ME3 will probably convince me to install it, though.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#139  Edited By Rohok

No STEAM, no sale.

I'm getting my copy on 360, anyway. Just disappointed that I can't complete my PC collection. I'm OCD like that.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By napalm

That isn't surprising, but I also like the work-around answer provided, "Steam basically doesn't let us install spyware on your computer to monitor what you're doing, so we won't be putting our games on that distribution service." There's a reason Steam limits that interaction: so you can't get away with bullshit like that.

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mitter

@AgentJ said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Commisar said:

@iAmJohn: I have seen massive reddit threads of people justifying their planned ME3 piracy because of Origin.

Let me tell you a little secret about pirates: They'll say anything to justify their planned piracy of any game because they never intended to purchase it in the first place.

This. No one is not going to buy this in some way because of Origin. They're not going to buy this because they never were going to buy it. If people really have a problem with Origin, they can plug their keyboard into a PS3 or just use dualsticks on an XBOX.

So, since when does that work, did I miss something?

And yes, Origin is one of the reasons I'm not getting it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Pinworm45

@Napalm said:

That isn't surprising, but I also like the work-around answer provided, "Steam basically doesn't let us install spyware on your computer to monitor what you're doing, so we won't be putting our games on that distribution service." There's a reason Steam limits that interaction: so you can't get away with bullshit like that.

Steam is just as intrusive as Origin. People just don't bitch about it because they like steam and hate EA.

And the real reason is because Steam requires DLC to games to be on their service, and not another service accessed via the game, so they can get a cut of the prophets. If it's anyone being greedy, it's Steam (although the real answer is both companies want more money, so they're both guilty. If you're going to call EA out for doing something greedy, at least do the right thing)

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

whelp that solidifies me not getting it on the PC (even if i have 1 and 2)

mitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By mitter

The difference between Origin and Steam is that Steam is an established program that works fine and is trustworthy. It's been doing a great job so far and we simply don't need another program of a company that is not trustworthy at all. It just doesn't make any sense.

That's my opinion at least.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By bio595

@Narx said:

I am not a big fan of Origin but more competition is always good in my book.

And I don't care where I get Mass Effect 3 as long as I get it.

Competition is great. Especially in the case of Steam because sometimes that software is slow as fuck and needs some fixing.

The only thing that I have issue with is that I'll have the first two games in one game library and the third in another.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bio595 said:

@Narx said:

I am not a big fan of Origin but more competition is always good in my book.

And I don't care where I get Mass Effect 3 as long as I get it.

Competition is great. Especially in the case of Steam because sometimes that software is slow as fuck and needs some fixing.

The only thing that I have issue with is that I'll have the first two games in one game library and the third in another.

Yeah I have the same issue but as long as my ME2 saves work, it's just a matter of pressing on a different icon on my desktop to launch the game.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Pinworm45 said:

@Napalm said:

Steam is just as intrusive as Origin. People just don't bitch about it because they like steam and hate EA.

And the real reason is because Steam requires DLC to games to be on their service, and not another service accessed via the game, so they can get a cut of the prophets. If it's anyone being greedy, it's Steam (although the real answer is both companies want more money, so they're both guilty. If you're going to call EA out for doing something greedy, at least do the right thing)

It is not as intrusive as Origin.  Profits not prophets.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Evilmetal

All over online I'm reading many people are up in arms about ME3 being Origin only. They proclaim they will wait for 'Razor1911' to help them install the game properly.  It seems like people are looking at Steam/Origin as two restaurants; where Steam may wipe the floors in the restroom and keep an overall clean appearance inside. But EA's 'restaurant' has a foul urine odor all over... the floor... walls... the waitresses clothing.....

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#149  Edited By demonbear

You kids need to stop being so anal about digital platforms. Because there only gonna be more of them in the coming years, not less.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Evilmetal
    @demonbear said:

You kids need to stop being so anal about digital platforms. Because there only gonna be more of them in the coming years, not less.

let's have websites 'go dark ' in protest :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.