Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

All PC Versions of ME3 Require Origin

• 157 results
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By AlexW00d

@Darkstar614 said:

Number 4 is the biggest load of PR bullshit I've ever read in my life. Steam is NOT the bad guy here, but boy do they make it seem like it.

"limits developers" oh you mean just EA first party developers who want to distrubute and sell their dlc exclusively through origin? SURE

Yeah if team meat can have a patch go out over steam in a matter of hours after they finished coding it, so can fucking bioware, a set of studios a hundred times bigger.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Aus_azn

No Steam, no PC deal.

[/hardlinestance]

I guess I'm getting this on console then, but not until it goes on sale. I've never had a good experience with EA's store before Origin came about, and I'll need a convincing reason to get me to buy into Origin too.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@Aus_azn: I don't get this stance at all. You're not "buying into" anything.

It's an application that does exactly the same thing that Steam does.

It's EA's game, they have every right to claim exclusivity to it. I find the "I'm not getting it because it's on Origin" argument completely ridiculous.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Aus_azn

@Creamypies said:

@Aus_azn: I don't get this stance at all. You're not "buying into" anything.

It's an application that does exactly the same thing that Steam does.

It's EA's game, they have every right to claim exclusivity to it. I find the "I'm not getting it because it's on Origin" argument completely ridiculous.

So, you're saying that my purchase is not tied to my account? At any point?

Again, Steam has not given me problems before. EA has, hence my view.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#55  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@Aus_azn: Why does it matter if it is tied to your account?

It's the same deal with Steam.

I'm just saying that if this is your only way of playing ME3 on the PC, why choose to avoid it?

From my experience though, Origin is completely fine. And like I said before, I actually get better download speeds on it than I do from Steam.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By laserbolts
    @MB

It's a one time activation, what difference does it make if you need to use Origin to do it? Sometimes I think people are just looking for any reason, even a bad one, to be pissed off and rant about EA.

I agree but I'll just choose to ignore all the pointless hate and be excited for mass effect 3. Gonna be an awesome game.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Bollard

@Pie said:

Big surprise?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CL60

People still crying over Origin?

Lol. It works fine, get over it. I've had no problems playing BF3 with Origin.

@Juno500 said:

@MB said:

It's a one time activation, what difference does it make if you need to use Origin to do it? Sometimes I think people are just looking for any reason, even a bad one, to be pissed off and rant about EA.

I'm more concerned about Origin spying on my computer software.

I don't hate EA, but I'm not going to let them look around my PC, even if its not for malicious purposes.

And to people who use this as an argument, you really have no idea at all what you're talking about. It doesn't read anything on your computer, and it doesn't send any of the files it scans to their servers from your computer. It scans your /Program Files/ and looks for games to add onto Origin, and checks what your specs are, the same way Steam does, that's it.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By SlasherMan

I'd be a hypocrite if I'm fine with Steam, but make a fuss about this (even though I understand the twisted logic, I do get tinges of it myself sometimes).

@Aus_azn said:

I've never had a good experience with EA's store before Origin came about, and I'll need a convincing reason to get me to buy into Origin too.

Thing is, you don't really have to buy it straight from EA. It's no different than a Steamworks game (where you'll still end up with the game on your Steam account regardless of where/how you buy it), except replace the Steam client with Origin. And as much as I prefer Steam, I see no problem that would prevent from buying the game just because it's not on Steam. Steam is not a requirement for a game to be PC, nor should it be.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By DeF

are we now gonna see a thread for every EA game that does this (which is gonna be all of them, pretty much?)

the same thing happened with the online pass thing ...

it's to be expected. if it didn't happen, that'd be a surprise worthy of a thread

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By avidwriter

Hmm, I havn't played ME2 yet, I might just skip out on both then.... or at least ME3. I really don't care to use Origin but I guess in 3 years once it's cheap that I'll buy it I might not care as much. Better yet Origin will have collapsed and ME3 will be on Steam.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RsistncE

Fine by me since I won't be buying this pile of pig shit game so I won't have to deal with the pile of pigshit service named Origin either.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Juno500

@CL60 said:

@Juno500 said:

@MB said:

I don't hate EA, but I'm not going to let them look around my PC, even if its not for malicious purposes.

And to people who use this as an argument, you really have no idea at all what you're talking about. It doesn't read anything on your computer, and it doesn't send any of the files it scans to their servers from your computer. It scans your /Program Files/ and looks for games to add onto Origin, and checks what your specs are, the same way Steam does, that's it.

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services,"

"EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services," the section continues. "We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By CL60

@Juno500 said:

@CL60 said:

@Juno500 said:

@MB said:

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services,"

"EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services," the section continues. "We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

And? That's for their own protection, Steam says the exact same thing. People have looked into it and they litrally do exactly what I said they do. Scan your /program files/ to look for games to add to Origin, and look at what your PC specs are. Quoting their EULA(Which they changed because of people crying) is a stupid argument. Ecspecially when it's a FACT that what I'm saying is exactly what they actually are doing.

This Origin hatred is just fucking stupid, and it's entirely based on bullshit fear mongering.

Wahhh, I'm not buying (insert game here) because it's not on Steam.

EA IS STEALIN' MAH EVERYTHING!!!

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Juno500

@CL60 said:

And? That's for their own protection, Steam says the exact same thing. People have looked into it and they litrally do exactly what I said they do. Scan your /program files/ to look for games to add to Origin, and look at what your PC specs are. Quoting their EULA(Which they changed because of people crying) is a stupid argument. Ecspecially when it's a FACT that what I'm saying is exactly what they actually are doing.

Even if that's true, which you've done nothing to prove as such, it doesn't mean that won't change in the future. The difference between Steam and Origin is that I trust Valve more than EA.

Besides, some of the other stupid shit EA has done, like banning people from playing the games they've purchases because of getting banned on the forums indicates that they don't know what they're doing. I'm not taking chances with them until they get their act together.

Commisar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By Commisar

@pw2566ch: it is because Steam doesn't allow in-game stores for DLC and Ea wants them. Also, Valve takes a cut off of ANY games sold on Steam.

Commisar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Commisar

@CL60: damn strait. I will be having a BLAST playing ME3 on launch day and supporting my favorite studio as well, instead of being an ass and pirating, while trying to justify it by saying 'but Origin is EVIL" Good grief, 99% of people have no trouble at all with Origin, it is just a few cases tthat get blow WAY out of proportion.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ShaneDev

I used Origin for Crysis 2 just before Christmas and thought it was very fast at downloading the game and a fairly competent piece of software. I didn't need Origin running to start Crysis 2 and I never had to deal with it again. I am going to get ME3 on Xbox though since thats where my Shepard is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I bought Bastion on Origin.  Played through it.  Wouldn't even know Origin was on.  Bought SWTOR on it.  My friend online notifications overaly pretty well.  I also bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition, but never played it.

But Shepard is on my 360, so 360 is where I'll be Massing my Effect.

Unless they let you move your save to PC.  I would pay money for that now that I have a sweet PC.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I have absolutely no problem with origin. I am a little bummed that I can't have it on Steam when the other two games are in my list, but that's just my OCD talking. 

Anyway I'm not super excited for ME3. ME1 was fantastic and ME2 kinda soured the experience for me. Still somewhat interested in seeing how the game turns out, and if anything I'll get it at some point down the road to at least finish the story......er fight I mean.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By iamjohn
    @Commisar

@CL60: damn strait. I will be having a BLAST playing ME3 on launch day and supporting my favorite studio as well, instead of being an ass and pirating, while trying to justify it by saying 'but Origin is EVIL" Good grief, 99% of people have no trouble at all with Origin, it is just a few cases tthat get blow WAY out of proportion.

What the fuck does people pirating the game have to do with anything? False equivalency much?
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By benjaebe

@Brodehouse said:

I bought Bastion on Origin. Played through it. Wouldn't even know Origin was on. Bought SWTOR on it. My friend online notifications overaly pretty well. I also bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition, but never played it. But Shepard is on my 360, so 360 is where I'll be Massing my Effect. Unless they let you move your save to PC. I would pay money for that now that I have a sweet PC.

There's some way to transfer your 360 save to PC. I'm sure someone else will post a link to the exact method, but I at least know you can do it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By MikkaQ

Whatever, getting this on 360 anyway since my Shepard on that harddrive goes back to the first game, and I wanna see if they ever make anything of the choices you made in those games.

But now that I have TOR and BF3, both of which I'm barely playing that's pretty much it for me, for origin. EA doesn't have any other enticing PC games coming up.

Commisar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Commisar

@iAmJohn: I have seen massive reddit threads of people justifying their planned ME3 piracy because of Origin.

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Kasswara

Eh.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

in a way this is a good thing because it keeps the download distribution space competitive

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By Jeust
    @Pie said:

Big surprise?

Completely blown away by it!
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By iamjohn

@Commisar said:

@iAmJohn: I have seen massive reddit threads of people justifying their planned ME3 piracy because of Origin.

Let me tell you a little secret about pirates: They'll say anything to justify their planned piracy of any game because they never intended to purchase it in the first place.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#79  Edited By zor

Well, that settles it for me, I think i'll wait on this one to see if/when EA caves on providing this game on Steam. Not saying that will for sure, but I think they will, and by that time, they might have a sale for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a big fan of Origin but more competition is always good in my book.

And I don't care where I get Mass Effect 3 as long as I get it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#81  Edited By project343
    @david3cm It has to do with DLC and money transactions by the looks of things. EA would rather take your money directly rather than depend on Steam.
    bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#82  Edited By bloodlines

Not a surprise really, even if I hate the interface/UI of Origin. I just use the battlelog for BF3, and going too continue the adventure on the 360 anyway.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By babblinmule

Barely ever notice that Origin is even switched on when I'm playing ToR, so this is totally fine by me.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TorMasturba

I'm getting the PC collector's edition so as long as it's not one of those experiences where I install an entire game from the disc and then I have to download the whole game off the internets and re-install the thing because of bad design.

I remember having to do this with a Ubisoft game a while ago, like 6-7 years ago, and it was damn annoying. Probably no longer even an issue though, damn I'm getting old lol.

theironyuppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By theironyuppie

Well, confirmed for me just as I assumed I would, I will be playing it on the Xbox. I'm just not interested in building another digital catalog, if it's not on Steam for PC, chances are I won't buy it.

EA keeps crying about how Steam doesn't allow them(EA) a direct connection to their customers for patches and DLC. Sorry to clue you in EA, but that's why I choose Valve I DO NOT want your shitty spam and go to you for patches. I give Valve my business because they do all that legwork for me and cut out your bullshit.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By boboblaw
    @Mikemcn said:

I don't care what i have to do, I just want Mass Effect 3.

@Boboblaw said:

Probably the worst thing about this is that Origin/EA charges £10-15 more then steam. So I expect ME3 to be around £50

That is messed up, Steam charges more than most other digital retailers when they aren't having a sale, but at least Steam is willing to adjust it's prices, EA, as the sole owner of very popular franchises like Battlefield and Mass Effect can just charge whatever it wants on Origin since you have to deal with them.

Yeah, I hadn't actually bought hard copies of PC games for years till origin kicked in.

I got The Old Republic for £33 at Tescos whereas its £45 on origin. ME3 doesn't seem to be as bad at the moment though, currently up for £34.99
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#87  Edited By droop

Begin the boycotts!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#88  Edited By AgentJ

As long as it comes to Steam eventually, I couldn't care less. I've been playing Mass Effect as it comes out on Xbox, then buying them later on PC at a super cheap price.

My only worry is that, if it doesn't come to steam eventually, that my save data for my Steam versions would carry over to the Origin versions. I assume they would but doesn't seem to be a guarantee.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MrKlorox

No surprise. And I don't think anybody in their right mind expected ME3 to come out on Steam after the whole DLC thing causing Crysis 2 and a few others to get pulled, as well as BF3's Origin based existence.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#90  Edited By AgentJ

@iAmJohn said:

@Commisar said:

Let me tell you a little secret about pirates: They'll say anything to justify their planned piracy of any game because they never intended to purchase it in the first place.

This. No one is not going to buy this in some way because of Origin. They're not going to buy this because they never were going to buy it. If people really have a problem with Origin, they can plug their keyboard into a PS3 or just use dualsticks on an XBOX.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Leptok

Well, didn't buy BF3, guess I wont be buying this either. Oh well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's a big surprise... Oh wait, no it isn't.

Anyways, Origin works just fine for BF3 so I'll have no problems with that; even though it feels a bit unnecessary for a game without competitive multiplayer.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#93  Edited By MikeFightNight

I will be getting the boxed version of ME3 for PC. I hit the play button on Origin and it goes. Couldn't get more simple. I have had no issues with BF 3 or Batman AC on Origin.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By hero_swe

Not the pirate version~

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Fruitcocoa

@Commisar said:

Now lets just remember that Reddit could be called "The Anti EA Group".

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Stete

Well that means I won't be purchasing it. As much as I loved Mass Effect 1 & 2 I really don't want to sign up for a dodgy service which can lock you out of your games that you purchased legitimately for whatever reason. Im just too old or at least I feel too old to get excited for a game which would have to make me jump through hoops in order to play it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#97  Edited By Kidavenger

Buying and dealing with PC games before Steam was around was a mess, EA bailing out on Steam is a huge step backwards, imagine all publishers decided to start their own exclusive services and you had to go to 20 different places to get what you wanted, screw that.

Steam doesn't require exclusive distribution for DLC, they just want it to be available on Steam, the way EA has it setup now on Origin, they are the ones that actually have a monopoly on their DLC.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Meh all this download a game, pay for it but you don't legally own it shit is bad for the industry no matter who fucking does it.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#99  Edited By D_W

As long as I can add it to my steam library and can carry in my saves I'll be fine with it. But if buying it from Origin means the game won't be able to recognize my ME2 saves, then there's a BIG problem. Though I don't think that will happen.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By kindgineer

Isn't it kind of pointless to care about this now? Origin exists people, stop acting like gaming deserves some kind of freedom from DRM act and just live with the fact that companies are trying to make money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.