Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Anyone else struggling with the controls?

• 66 results
    RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

My only personal gripe is that the binoculars aren't a toggle and the xbox one controllers shoulder buttons are trash, utter trash and they keeps slipping out even though I am clearly holding them/it in.

Oh god this. I really hope they add a toggle option for the binoculars so I don't have to hold the xbox one shoulder buttons. The smallest bit of depress and it thinks I've let go and closes the binoculars. It's awful.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wish the telescope on R1 had an option to be a toggle instead of having to hold it in and look around using the right stick; that feels awkward to me.

Some of the menus seem not as well designed as they could be, but nothing horrible.

Mostly it plays good.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, controls have been fine for me. Its definitely the best MGS has ever controlled. Sure, thats not saying much because all the past games had atrocious controls but its still pretty good.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The cover controls don't seem to work with walls. The pause menu is hard to find as it is the top-left corner of the touchpad on PS4. Whichever character you are playing as will have trouble climbing small rocks, even with triangle prompts, slipping fairly often. When interrogating the enemy the strangle/stun button icon should not pulse as it looks like you are meant to tap it. Peace Walker's controls were much easier, but that game was also much simpler.

Despite those minor issues, all the other controls and the actual game are S+++ Rank >:D The people who made it did an exceptional job.

As far as I can tell if you tap R2 to choke them out it takes less time. I know that I mash R2 each time I choke guards out.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@teddie said:

No, it all feels pretty natural to me. To the point where I'm trying really dumb maneuvers and still coming out on top because everything works the way I want it to for once.

This is exactly how I described it to a friend. You can attempt relatively crazy things, and whether or not you can pull it off is down to you, because for once there isn't janky movement or otherwise.

Everything is intuitive, toggles cleverly, is animated smoothly and just generally lets you command Snake to do whatever you want.

Not to make a ludicrous statement, but I genuinely think this is the best handling game I've ever played. That is specifically what I'm enjoying about it, too.

Other people may disagree, but I struggle to see the criticism.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Haven't had a single issue with the controls, other than trying to climb unclimbable areas, everything feels superb. SUPERB.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@humanity said:
    @afrofools said:

When interrogating the enemy the strangle/stun button icon should not pulse as it looks like you are meant to tap it.

As far as I can tell if you tap R2 to choke them out it takes less time. I know that I mash R2 each time I choke guards out.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure the reason it looks like you are meant to tap it is because that's exactly what you're meant to do. It's certainly worked well for me.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good enough for me on PS4. I do wish I had a button to pause/play tapes though

Avatar image for ddi_kazal_st_drebin
    DDI_Kazal_St_Drebin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I had a little trouble with the button, surprise suprise.

But now I roll around on the floor with the best of them. The only thing that still kinda messes me up is the "wall knock" and the "bionic sensor"
    A couple of time in haste I have called the horse to my location. Thankfully the guards just curse it away but that's the only complaint.

the controls just need time to get use to.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@humanity said:
    @afrofools said:

When interrogating the enemy the strangle/stun button icon should not pulse as it looks like you are meant to tap it.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure the reason it looks like you are meant to tap it is because that's exactly what you're meant to do. It's certainly worked well for me.

Hmm. Must be doing something wrong when I do it because it releases them.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

@afrofools: You should be mashing it super fast. I think it literally says "Mash R2."

Edit: Yes, you should be mashing R2. I've included the image from the digital manual which shows you the way CQC works. I've been abusing my R2 button. The squeak it had is super loud now. I can almost hear it over my headphones.

No Caption Provided

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I think it controls incredibly well. It's just up to the player to use it to their advantage... I think the biggest 'issue' I have is that, in every Metal Gear game, they always add and take out mechanics, but like in Ground Zeroes, they took out the ability that was in four where you could crawl to an edge, and both look over it as your upper body is over it, and press a button to quietly climb off. That said, I put issue in quotes because it's not really much of an issue, but it'd be cool to still have. I chock it up to it being a different character though.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cover system is undeniably a bit temperamental, but this is by no means a cover-based shooter, so its inclusion if anything is unnecessary. Aside from that, I personally think the game controls perfectly...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: You mean quirks. Quarks. That's funny though.

@afrofools: You just use the touch pad, not the pause button.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @afrofools said:

Yes, you can. I did it in Ground Zeroes, but when I played this, I didn't even know you could do it without tapping, so for a while, I just thought it was the same either way until I started tapping it again, ha.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Kind of, yes.

There are lots of ledges I wish I could hang on and I can't, or buildings that won't let me jump from for some reasons. The horse seems to leap a lot for no reason or won't stop running when I call it, leading to botched getaways. The way the game decides whether a ledge is climbable or not is also really weird, which has led to me standing on a pile of boxes with no escape route several times, or suddenly sliding down an entire cliffside even though the ledges are comprised of of bunch of shoulder-high right angles.

Overall, though? I've been more than happy. The issues just come with open world games, and the somewhat-odd button mappings are something you just deal with. It isn't perfect, by any means, though.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By Marz

controls are fine, other than the sticky map which is a nightmare to navigate with a mouse since it snaps to the nearest chopper zone, scouting location, etc and you have to move your mouse across the whole desk(exaggeration but i have to use force) in one swift motion get out of the auto snapping zone on the map.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.