Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Games you want to see the Nemesis system applied to

• 106 results
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I'm not a big fan of it honestly . Though it does fit shadow of mordor pretty well .

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By PerryVandell

While I think a ton of different games could benefit from the Nemesis system, Assassin's Creed was the first to come to mind. It would give the optional assassination missions some added weight. I only did completed them when I need some petty cash, but I never really thought twice about the person whom I was assassinating. Of course, it's be a little strange to exchange blows with someone you stabbed in the neck. Shadows of Mordor is based in fantasy. You could argue Assassin's Creed sort of is as well, but there's an understanding that the people you kill are, well, people. People who die when a blade is violently inserted into their neck.

R_Coles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Pong

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Football Manager, I want to HATE some rival manager. Like in real life sports.

Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
    Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Grand Theft Auto.

I'm sure there are a few innocent bystanders that want to have a few words with me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Gone Home.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: yes! A game about (sometimes) assassinating would lend itself perfectly to this dynamic system to provide meaningful targets

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sterling: there is already a "nemesis" system in crusader kings. The whole game is about feuds.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dota 2

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rethla said:

@sterling: there is already a "nemesis" system in crusader kings. The whole game is about feuds.

But not to this extent. Imagine if you lost a war to someone and all their unites attack and defense increased a little. And they were able to cut military upkeep cost by a fraction of a percent if fighting you again.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's only one option. F1. Football Manager kinda already did it as you can wind other managers up all the time in that.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: again thats exactly how it works. You gain influence with people, plot against them, backstab and all out war. Not to mention we aint talking about 20 orcs but thousands of npcs all with different traits, agendas and alliances. The system is waaaaay more advanced in CK.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@vextroid said:

Far Cry.

Crackdown.

Metal Gear Solid.

I specifically came in here to say Crackdown. The entire structure of the first game was essentially the Nemesis system, only without the AI complexity and all that jazz. If Crackdown 3 is to simply be another Crackdown game, they can't not try their hand at their own fully-formed Nemesis system.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@corevi: yeah I guess. Whatever I just like space, man

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By geirr

I liked it more in Road Rash. Man, Biff was furious with me constantly!

No Caption Provided

Oh you're the one who should be worrying, Biff..

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I think it could be cool in a Red Dead game. Instead of Uruk captains and warchiefs they'd be various outlaws.

YES!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@wlleiotl said:

Bully 2

You know that would actually be super cool. If they made it much more subtle and made it in such a way that you could both gain friends and enemies depending on your actions. But when you make a choice it shouldn't be like TWD where it's really obvious when you have to make an important choice. Your choices should just happen organically as you play and you would only know what consequences your actions had when it comes back to bite you in the ass or help you out.

They could also implement a girlfriend/boyfriend system where you would have to learn a certain persons likes and dislikes in order to date them. The higher up the person is in the social hierarchy the more difficult it will get to actually date them. So you would have to infiltrate that persons friend group in order to learn their dislikes/likes. Of course dating a person higher up the hierarchy will have stat bonuses like + 2 charisma, + 4 stamina, + 1 knowledge etc. The higher up they are in the hierarchy the better the stat bonuses will be but it will also be more difficult to accomplish the goals you would have to accomplish to date them.

Now the stat bonuses could play into your education. For example if you have to pass math, or history, you would have to have a certain level of knowledge and therefore it would benefit you to date a person with a good knowledge boost.

If Rockstar don't make this game now I'm going to be super dissapointed.

Cuuniyevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Red Faction.

I imagine it would be like this: "Yo, I had a firefight in this building one time and I ended up getting murdered in a stairwell. Then they renovated it and increased its structural integrity. Now I have to sneak in and demolish its girders as payback."

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By cooljammer00

I tweeted it to Alex and Vinny as a joke, but Sleeping Dogs. You could have increasingly more crippled Triad members to fight. A gang of dudes all with broken arms or legs.

Though it might not work completely, seeing as you'd need a non magical reason to get captains to murder their war chiefs for you.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Persona.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some one in my Twitter feed said Bully, and I was in on that idea the second I read it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see the next Fallout game implement something like this. I want the whole game to be much deeper than the previous ones. If you murder everyone in a town, I want one of the survivors that escape to plot revenge on me. I want him to recruit a party on his own to hunt me down. I want someone that I helped earlier in the game to hear about this search party and join it as a snitch to feed me information. This all needs to happen dynamically and at random. That same guy that swears revenge on me could just as easily get killed by a rad scorpion before his group gains any traction.

These are the kinds of gameplay mechanics that I want to see as hardware gets more powerful.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By NTM

Eh, I don't care. It's not that special to me. In all the 20 or so hours I've played of it, it's not that interesting a draw to me. More regenerating of guys is all it is to me, with somewhat different stuff for them. The conversations though between orcs is somewhat interesting, if that goes by how you play; I snuck a lot, and one of the orcs said something like "Just so you know, the (whatever nickname they give Talion) likes to come behind you and *makes gargling noise as if throat is slit* Just thought you'd know." I guess people's experiences a bit different, but it's not that interesting to me, and it certainly doesn't make me want to keep playing it.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By bargainben

I think it'd be an interesting thing to have in multiplayer, for this game or something else. Like you as the player enter a game at the bottom (as an orc that's tough or a goblin that can scale walls like the hero), no bodyguards, move up in rank from kills and gain first 1 then 2 underlings, and now if they fight someone and aren't killed and come back, yer all like "did this dude turn my dude, did this underling snitch" it could be interesting in a unique way, especially if there's a way to invest a lot in your underlings so they're a valued asset, but then if they turned or gave up vital info on your weakness they could really make things go bad for you in a setup of some kind. It becomes a risk reward thing, and a paranoid player might be rolling a lot of heads.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercenaries reboot. Metal Gear Solid would be neat.

I am interested to see how the system can evolve. Imagine a Thief version where they expand the nemesis system to have a dual-system that includes both 'imperial'-type targets and rival thieves; so you are trying to get to the targets & loot before your rival thieves beat you to it?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#76  Edited By GERALTITUDE

The basic idea of the Nemesis system is something that could easily be in pretty much any game, and all it would do is enhance it. But Mordor does a lot with it in the way that side missions are generated and how orc ranks are tied to the world and narrative. You wouldn't have to take it that far necessarily.

I mean, really. Take Skyrim for example. Imagine that bandits or enemies who run away from you would come back later, look a little different, and have meaningful dialogue. Does this strike anyone as a bad idea? All the nemesis system really does is make it seem like your actions occur in less of a vacuum.

Definitely lots of games don't need it, but a huge number of them could benefit from just a piece of the idea.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed so it could actually be about...ya know...assassinating dudes again? First game was great and then it just went down the action game hole the rest of the way through.

I also hope this doesn't become a new trend that everyone uses. I don't want to be sick of it.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Budwyzer

How has no one suggested Halo yet???

Shooting at a Covenant wretch. Some lucky fucking little beetle guy wanders around a rock and blows your head off. Little beetle man starts talking trash while your consciousness is zapped to an escape shuttle and you come back with a new body. Meanwhile the little beetle guy gets promoted to a captain!

I just google searched and they're called Unggoy

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Jeff said it best when he mentioned Wolfenstein. An open world Wolfenstein with the Nemesis System in place would be excellent.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#80  Edited By archer88

Star Wars? I know there have been a ton of Star Wars games, but it would be rad to have a nemesis system populated by Sith/Jedi. Maybe even have slain masters buff their followers by becoming apparitions. Playing through Shadow of Mordor I can't help but feel like almost every aspect could be tweaked to fit in a Star Wars game. Wraith = Jedi Apparition, Wraith powers = force powers, Uruk = Sith,etc. Might make more sense if it were flipped and you were a Sith hunting Jedi.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Dimi3je

@archer88: beat me to it.

by now I am prepared to kill for a immersive SW game, nemesis system or not.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm probably one of the few who finds the nemesis system to be extremely bland, at least in its current form, but it could be interesting in something like the Witcher. Also, that combat system would work well in the Witcher.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Falcon bounty hunting game that Nintendo will never make in a million years.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it could really work in almost everything.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@phrosen said:

Dynasty Warriors. Don't judge me.

Dian Wei shows up with an covered in bandages and scars: "Listen you motherfucker, I'm gonna get you ONE of these days!"

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By ProfessorEss

@archer88 said:

Star Wars? I know there have been a ton of Star Wars games, but it would be rad to have a nemesis system populated by Sith/Jedi. Maybe even have slain masters buff their followers by becoming apparitions. Playing through Shadow of Mordor I can't help but feel like almost every aspect could be tweaked to fit in a Star Wars game. Wraith = Jedi Apparition, Wraith powers = force powers, Uruk = Sith,etc. Might make more sense if it were flipped and you were a Sith hunting Jedi.

I was just talking to my wife how I'd kill for a Star Wars (Clone Wars?) version of Shadow of Mordor.

Mainly because I love the game so much but it's too violent to play when my son's around.

heathhuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By heathhuston

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Arkham Knight ends up with a version on the other side of its long delay, especially considering the obvious resource sharing between the franchises already.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a version of it would be interesting in career modes of sports games as a way to organically develop rivalries.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shadow of Mordor could be the best thing to happen to the AC franchise since boats.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I'd love to see a Mafia sequel use the Nemesis system. Maybe you are a lowly goon working through the ranks of a crime family forming allegiances or pitting captains against each other along your way to being the head of the family. Or maybe the next Sleeping Dogs game can be about you going undercover to take down the Triad and having to learn guys routines or who will crack other interrogation.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By bargainben

@jimbo said:

Shadow of Mordor could be the best thing to happen to the AC franchise since boats.

I would love for this game's existence to finally kickstart the AC franchise into iterating more substantially. Its really some "Malibu Stacy has a hat now" type shit, and has been since Brotherhood mixed it up. I want the Nemesis system applied to the staff of Ubisoft cus someone else just outdid their whole thing. Took long enough honestly.

As for specific IP, the limitations of a preexisting setting would actually be a detriment to this kind of system because you could never really shake the world up, because nothing you do could ever be of a significant consequence. To really see the potential of this system it has to be applied to a new IP. It makes plenty of sense to me to make a game just called "Nemesis" and have the entire story shaped around the nemesis system, but I don't see EA going that way. These guys will be making nothing but SoM for the next 6 years.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

game of throne, replace branding with negotiations/bribing/black mailing and makes it so your "branded" can back stab you since it is different from the brainwashing in shadow of mordor. When you take on "Lords" it is a calculated and risky maneuver, since it might impact your relationship with other lords/make them actively gun for you. Come on people lets get it done.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Any actual sports game.

NBA 2k series in its last couple of career modes has tried to trump up artificial rivalries. I think in a career mode a "nemesis" system where the player remembers dominating you previously or being embarrassed by you has potential. They could say things to you prior to or during a game, if they score past you the camera could show them 'taunting' you.

Don't quite know how you implement a system where you "defeat" them or replace them. Maybe implement some of the training drills to be specific to your rivals' style of play so that you gain buffs against them (sort of like knowing their strengths/weaknesses).

Also applicable to any sports game, wrestling, boxing etc.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Something like this in a sports game would be fascinating. Uh, not the stalking and killing part, but more the idea that if someone makes a big play against the player, they'd get some kind of persistent boost throughout the game, or at least until the player took "revenge" on the opponent. Sorta like the NBA Jam's "on fire" feature, just more specific and nuanced, I guess.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

A Batman game would be perfect for this Nemesis system. Since Batman never kills anyone you could have some random thugs come back stronger and angrier. Those thugs that you've beaten multiple times would learn to counter some of Batman's tactics.

Is it too late for Rocksteady to do this in Arkham Knight?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

They HAVE to make a Highlander-Game featuring the Nemesis-System ... they would have to start with lets say 100 immortals and those slowly fight/kill each other and take over powers/weaknesses of their enemys. In the end it would be 2 really powefull immortals fighting for the great price.

I honestly think that would be super awesome.

[edit:] Just imagine an open world game where you have to find other immortals ... damn, I REALLY want that game.

Warren2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@basm321: Dynasty Warriors, just so you have slightly more to do in the combat

or any game with a random encounter system, I built up some real grudges against enemy types in the Final Fantasy games over the years

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Marcsman

Fallout 4 is the correct answer

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.