Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

NX (Nintendo Switch) Reveal Trailer

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That is exactly what a lot of people have been looking for! Can't wait to see more!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything being on one console will stop me from playing about 1/4th of each 3DS game I buy before I forget about it

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm impressed. Name is fine. Most names are terrible and it'll just get some time to get used to, but I don't they showed all the right stuff in this thing.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most depressing eSports venue ever XD

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I don't think I've been this excited about new Nintendo hardware since the Gamecube. The Switch looks like it's exactly what I want; a no-nonsense flexible console that plays Nintendo games. No gimmicks, just giving the marketplace what it wants.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a solid trailer, but I have zero interest in what Nintendo is selling.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The advertising for this is really sleek. That nice red and white logo with the snap makes for a really presentable and memorable advertisement. As for the device itself, its design makes a lot of sense in a world where tablets have taken over. When its away from the tv thats basically what it is. Either a tablet with attached controller support or detached controller support. I wasn't expecting them to be able to prop it up on a table and disconnect the controllers like that. Pretty neat and convenient. I don't know how well it speaks to everyone else, but as someone who's either at his computer watching streams or on the go out in the world, this thing seems really handy and useful. Consider me very interested.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I've always seen Nintendo as more of a bottom but Switch is cool too.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I don't think I've been this excited about new Nintendo hardware since the Gamecube. The Switch looks like it's exactly what I want; a no-nonsense flexible console that plays Nintendo games. No gimmicks, just giving the marketplace what it wants.

Is this sarcasm? I'm pretty damn excited to own this thing in the far-flung future, too, but....it TRANSFORMS.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Mirado

First thing I thought of with that name. "Oh, so you gonna, you gonna Nintendo Switch it on 'em?"

Very interesting. Lots of questions packed into that three minute trailer, way more games than I expected, and a few concerns, but a very interesting look.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be a day one purchase for me. This will hopefully do the job of my Wii U and 3ds

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be hilarious if it didn't.

@tearhead said:

Wait, does the handheld have a touchscreen?

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RickRockmann

Zelda in handheld mode looked framey as heck. It's probably way too early for a hot take on this thing's technical specs, but it's kind of worrying to see Nintendo's biggest first-party launch game run poorly on their own teaser video.

Also, can any Mario Kart experts confirm if that was MK8 or a new game? It'll be interesting to see how many Wii U games get straight-up Switch ports.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is exactly what I wanted. Merging their handheld and console efforts, no gimmicky VR or motion control crap. And that was a new Mario game there. Take my money.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By BrainScratch

Seems interesting and pretty much what I was expecting, but that huge logo on the console and controllers looks absurdly dumb.

No Caption Provided

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the size of that docking base, I think it has to be more than just a charger. Looks like its the size of a WiiU, which means there's deffinately room for some extra rendering power ion the base. Seems hard to pull off though. Really interested to find out what is under the hood on this thing.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cant say i'm all that hyped for the console but that 10 seconds of new Mario footage looked alright.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#120  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Seeing as how it looks to have a stylus, I'm guessing it does. Expect Super Mario World Maker or something.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright nintendo. I NEVER preorder any more...but this...this I will pre order. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By LeStephan

Oh wow the leaks were pretty much on point this time.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

So the snap-on things are like two individual NES-style controllers, and also mirrored to act as ABXY and individual D-pad buttons in a standard setup - clever stuff! Note the + and - buttons too, keeping some continuity from the Wii.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#124  Edited By isomeri

Here's the lowdown from Nintendo.

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 20, 2016 – In an introductory video released today (http://www.nintendo.com/switch), Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

505 Games

Activision Publishing, Inc.

ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.

ATLUS CO., LTD.

Audiokinetic Inc.

Autodesk, Inc.

BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.

Bethesda

CAPCOM CO., LTD.

Codemasters®

CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.

DeNA Co., Ltd.

Electronic Arts

Epic Games Inc.

Firelight Technologies

FromSoftware, Inc.

Frozenbyte

GameTrust

GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.

HAMSTER Corporation

Havok

INTI CREATES CO., LTD.

KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

LEVEL-5 Inc.

Marvelous Inc.

Maximum Games, LLC

Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.

Parity Bit Inc.

PlatinumGames Inc.

RAD Game Tools, Inc.

RecoChoku Co., Ltd.

SEGA Games Co., Ltd.

Silicon Studio Corporation

Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.

SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

Starbreeze Studios

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Telltale Games

THQ Nordic

Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.

TT Games

UBISOFT

Ubitus Inc.

Unity Technologies, Inc.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Web Technology Corp

Today’s video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system. Full game demonstrations, the list of launch window titles, as well as launch date, price, product configuration and related specifics, will be shown and announced prior to the March launch.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you guys see that controller shell at the start of the video? Where he slid the two sides for portable mode out of it? That looked slick! Really want a good look at that thing.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster said:

Is this sarcasm? I'm pretty damn excited to own this thing in the far-flung future, too, but....it TRANSFORMS.

I don't see that as a gimmick. It acknowledges that Nintendo's market is split between people that want home gaming, people that want mobile gaming, and people that want both. Rather than buying two machines as you would in the past, you now only need one and you get to play all of Nintendo's software on it. To me it's just as gimmicky as Microsoft's Play Anywhere initiative or Sony's Cross-Buy program (so not gimmicky at all).

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I can't be the only one thinking this... Playing NBA 2K17 on half of a controller is impossible?

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will get this if there's a new Monster Hunter game on it.

GearSol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After not getting a 3DS or Wii U after having every previous console and handheld (...except some iterations, and the Virtual Boy if you wanna be a lunatic and include it), I'm actually somewhat interested in this.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks exactly like how I want to play video games in 2016 (well actually 2017). I'm already sold.

That dock looks pretty substantial. I guess it will have a dedicated GPU in that thing or at least an upscaler of some kind.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@isomeri: Cheers! I wanted to see their press release.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By dstopia

MONSTER HUNTER IN A BIG TV FUCKING FINALLY

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: There's something bizarrely crappy off-brand about that logo.

Also 'Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.' That's kind of really great if it's what I think it is.

At least Pro controllers are going to be supported (albeit a new special model for the Switch). There is no way I would be able to use those tiny half controllers.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disc, cartridges or downloads? Was that explained or shown?

SuperSnooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I literally just sold my Wii U a couple days ago. I guess I know what I'll be using that money for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this thing looks awesome, I cannot wait.

This is exactly what I wanted!

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larmer said:

That would be hilarious if it didn't.

@tearhead said:

Wait, does the handheld have a touchscreen?

It would be kinda funny if it didnt. But I doubt they would skip that. There last 2 handhelds and the Wii U controller were all about the touch screen. The bigger question really is how long the battery life would be and even perhaps could I get extra batteries for that extra long trip.

IMO its all about the battery life. If it can only hold a charge for a couple hours, then its not really portable.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#138  Edited By LawGamer

Ehhh. . . .

Ehhhhhhhh . . . . .

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

Not what I was expected. Also not what I wanted. I really hate this tablet revolution that seems to be going on. Why does everything need to be mobile these days? What's wrong with a good old fashioned box that I can enjoy from the comfort of my own couch? Why is everything these days predicated on being social with a bunch of bohemian strangers?

Also, too many questions that weren't answered. How much does it cost? What's the battery life? Is the controller really as small as it looks? Any games besides Mario, Zelda and a five year old Bethesda product? I'm not even close to in until those questions get answered. Given Nintendo's recent history, I'm putting this one in the "gimmick" category until they show me otherwise.

Also, those controllers and tablet look really, really loseable. I'm not keen on spending hundreds of dollars on a product that becomes useless the instant something falls out of my pocket or backpack.

EDIT: Also, "Joy-Con" is a lousy name. It sounds like some sort of mandatory happiness conference you need to attend in a totalitarian state. Like "everybody must go to joy-con and praise the glorious leader! Or be shot!"

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#139  Edited By BeachThunder

Oh wow the leaks were pretty much on point this time.

Thankfully the leaks about buttons stuck on top of the screen weren't.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool! I wonder how heavy that controller/screen combo will be. Looks a little bulky. Also, Domino's called and they want their logo back.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#141  Edited By isomeri

@marcsman: They showed a dude putting some sort of memory-card/cartridge into the system.

EDIT: They seem to be calling it a "GameCard". Sure as hell doesn't look like any sort of standard flash memory card. Get ready to buy overpriced memory solutions from Nintendo then I guess.

Also, Joy-Cons.

No Caption Provided

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat pro controller.

Big square, that thing looks hideous.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman: It looked like an SD-like card for games in the trailer.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#144  Edited By turboman

@marcsman: The dude stuck a cartridge in and was playing the new Zelda... so some really fucking high powered cartridges?

Edit: I guess it could just be modern memory sticks with games on them.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the idea of this but boy does that controller look unwieldy. I don't want to have to shift my hand to move between right stick and face buttons, and pour one out for Nintendo's d-pads. I'll remain cautiously optimistic until I get my hands on one, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks real cool, I'm definitely interested. It would be cool to play skyrim on a handheld. I'm hoping it has better 3rd party support than the WiiU

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems interesting, I'm looking forward to learning more.

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the actual processing is being done on the tablet then you gotta wonder how are they going to solve the problem of its battery life if a sizable portion of its userbase is going to be keeping it constantly plugged in to the TV most of the time.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark my words - people will never fill an arena to watch other people play competitive Splatoon.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By selbie

C-Buttons have replaced the D-Pad. Is this the first ever Nintendo controller without a D-Pad??

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.