Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 17, 2015

Large-scale infantry Star Wars battles return in this reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (from the studio behind the Battlefield series).

Did the Beta change your opinion of the game?

• 121 results
    skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Edited By skyline7284

Poll Did the Beta change your opinion of the game? (961 votes)

Yes, It positively impacted my interest 37%
    Yes, It negatively impacted my interest 35%
    No, My opinion remains unchanged 27%

So I ask this question because I found the beta to be... underwhelming (I'm playing on the Xbox One). I don't like the way the guns shoot (I've played a lot of the Battlefield series, and Battlefront 2 as well), they all feel "mushy" to me. The best gun i've found is the standard imperial gun (The E-11), and even it doesn't feel great. I don't like how the powerups work. The Hoth map feels aimless, and lacks any sort of direction. The "Drop Zone" game mode I have yet to find a match in. The survival mode feels well made but generic. I think certain areas of the game look really nice (explosions, lighting) while other areas feel less-so (the terrain in particular I feel lacks detail). Compared to a game like Battlefield 4 I feel like Battlefront is almost a step backwards. Maybe it's just me.

• 
    Avatar image for goodenoughforme
    GoodEnoughForMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Went from "excited" to "no way." Underwhelming beta. First map totally eschews the grand scale of what Battlefront is supposed to be. Hoth is a bit better, but horribly balanced. Much higher skill ceiling and lower skill floor, whereas previous Battlefront games were the opposite. Shame that it went that route. Unlock system is orthodox and dull (no grenades at level 1? seriously?). Most of the game is, really. It feels mostly like new Battlefield with powerups and Star Wars environments. Looks pretty, plays anything but.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Went from the top of my list this year to "I'll get to it eventually". PC version disconnects me from my router, which is super strange. Everyone was afraid it would be "Battlefield: Star Wars". I think that would have been the better game. I think it's fun, but it felt a bit simple (after people learned how to win Walker Assault as rebels). Nothing wrong with simple, but I feel like I would get tired of the gameplay loop quicker than other shooters. The sound and graphics are top notch and should win some awards. If this came out in the summer it would be perfect. In December? No, not with Halo and CoD (for me personally).

What were they thinking with scattering random power-ups across the map as floating circles? Did they run out of time to implement any interesting way to handle that? That looks like some placeholder ass shit, and it destroys immersion.

Runs beautifully on PC (besides the weird router issue). I was chillin' around 100fps on High.

Dmoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dewar said:

For me, it went from "definitely buy" to "not touch with a 10 foot pole." Every match I was in was a blow-out either direction. When we did good, I didn't feel like I did much to help (even when I was at the top of the score board) and when we lost it felt impossible to do anything. No close matches is the hallmark of a bad game in my opinion. Also, I don't understand how people effectively use any of the vehicles on Hoth. I got them a lot, and I felt like I was getting killed just about instantly before I could even learn how they work.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I was extremely apprehensive about this game before I played but after I'm quite excited. I've racked up tons of kills with the vehicles as well as even bringing down a walker with the airspeeder. An act which directly caused us to win. Heck in that very match I had gotten at least 14 kills with the X-Wing and at least five of those were from Tie Fighters.

Granted I've been getting upwards to 40+ kills per match so my experience has been much different than yours.

It ultimately comes down to player skill. I always felt like I was contributing and never felt like the battle was pointless. Something that happened a lot in BF 3 and 4

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mike said:
    @devil240z said:

The beta made me more interested than I was before but I still don't know if I will buy it.

You know, I'm kind of right there with you dude.

I'm waiting to see what people think of all the maps and modes that ship with the game on release before buying it. I love original trilogy Star Wars, but $60 is a lot of money, especially in a season when so many other games are coming out that I'm interested in. Not only the big stuff, I was just reviewing my wish list release calendar and next week alone I've got Noct, Rebel Galaxy, and Sword Coast Legends coming out. That's just next week.

This is exactly my feeling too. I should probably only get Fallout 4 this year money wise but we will see.

I was not planning to get it though. I really enjoy it and I think I will get it for sure, but I just don't know about right away. I bet there's a lot of DLC and a Gold Edition or whatever with all of that would be a good time to get it maybe. I like how it is more fast paced, feels like older shooters more which is fun to me. It actually reminds me of Jedi Outcast. I don't need to aim down the sights in every game I play.

I skipped BF 4 and didn't really love 3, so that is saying something for me. I think that series has been treading water a bit since Bad Company 2.

sirkibble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#105  Edited By sirkibble23

I had tempered expectations but no matter what I found good, by the end of the beta I'm unsure if I'd recommend anyone to buy the game. I have Gamefly so I'm renting but the beta did not give me any confidence that we're going to get depth out of the modes or unlocks.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

As someone with basically no affinity for Star Wars it gave me exactly what I needed: Star Wars still has great sound design and I did that thing where I flew around an ATAT a bunch and it fell over. It was totally competent and fun, but given what else is coming out this year this game has no draw for me.

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I feel like I got my taste and now I don't really see myself getting it at launch, same thing happened with the Evolve alpha.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It ticked my interest up a notch. From "maybe I'll get it eventually" too "I may get it sooner rather than later". It didn't do anything to amaze me, it was pretty much what I thought it was going to be, but it's been a while since I'd had fun in an AAA MP game so that was nice, and my internet can be real sketchy sometimes so having it only drop one or two matches during a beta no less was really nice.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I was pleasantly surprised even if Star Wars Battlefront is far from any Battlefield game.

It's an extremely streamlined, casual experience where the game puts you a position of it's choosing, points you in the direction of the other team and you basically just mash forward on the objective until you win or lose. Enemy website "Games Pot" has some great points about what it's like to play it as an experienced Battlefield fan, where they are missing the basic level of complexity and strategy that those games offer.

That being said, I still think it was fun. I could pick up and play right away, I did pretty well in the matches and didn't get totally steamrolled like I usually do in CoD and Titanfall, and I got to shoot lasers in the Star Wars universe. I'm definitely picking it up at launch, but I highly doubt that it will have the longevity to support that Season Pass they are promoting for it.

Speaking of the Season Pass, I am hard pressed to see why people suddenly are so angry about it. If EA is selling that at 50$, that obviously means that they will have four packs of content that they believe is at least worth 20$ a pop. If that turns out to be the case, then just wait and buy the Season Pass then. It's not like they're twisting your arm to buy it right now... and at least it's not Evolve.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@darkbeatdk: What do you mean at least it's not Evolve? In the sense that Evolve offered all map packs for free?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went from not caring about this game, to thinking it looked cool. If I feel like picking up an FPS this Christmas, it'll probably be this over Black Ops III.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@ssully: The meaning was two-fold: I get the feeling that Battlefront will have more longevity than Evolve did and Evolve also managed to cram out two Season Passes within a couple months.

sanderjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My overall opinion didn't change much.

I'm not really interested in competitive shooters, but there was some early buzz that this may be a good 'special' experience.

But it wasn't really. it was cool for a few 'Star Wars' moments but it also felt like a superlethal shooter, and Hoth seemed designed to have giant killing grounds so that there is a ton of dieing, which felt like it really removed agency. The smaller map was actually more fun since I felt like I could think tactically.

If it gets cheap quickly, I may buy it and have some fun playing all the maps for a week or so.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What changed my opinion was the fact that it's multiplayer only. With they had single player missions or something like T Hunt in RB6.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yea, i kinda didnt care about it, but after the beta, i'm totally down, and im not even a competitive multiplayer guy.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It made me go from "This looks like a way to make a cheap buck" to me going out and pre-ordering it right away. I don't know how many days the beta was up? but I played the Hoth map over and over again until it ended. It did seem to take a day or two until people started working together properly but once they did it became truly brilliant. It seems less intricate than Battlefield and more user friendly but because it's Star Wars that's really not a bad thing. What did everyone think of the Vader/Luke power-ups? I didn't do too bad (video below) but to get the best out of them you need a few rebels/stormtroopers nearby. I'm glad there is some time between Fallout and this because I plan on playing both on their release days.

Loading Video...

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Was nice to see that it wasn't just a reskin of Battlefield, It definitely felt different and more like what a modern Battlefront game would be. Having the vehicles be tokens on the map was somewhat of a huge bummer though.

Considering this is EA, this game will be $80 in Canada. I don't think it's worth that to me right now.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a poorly balanced, shallow version of Battlefield with poorly controlling air vehicles. The "beta" (demo) convinced me to not buy it.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed my time with the beta and I think I came out of it more excited than I was going in. Still think I'm gonna wait for a sale, though.

It made me really want a dedicated full on single player game, big story, cool set pieces...etc

This x1000. Imagine DICE's take on the "IT'S A TRAP" scene from Jedi and watching all hell break loose while 10,000 TIE Fighters fly at you.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Battlefront 2. Played the hell out of it. I dislike the multiplayer angle they've ran with here so...no.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of came around on my opinion from the first page. After playing a lot of Hoth and experiencing most (if not all aspects) of it available to me and trying the single player horde mode thing, I decided that I actually like it. Some of the announcements since them have also improved my impression of the game. Pending reviews I am more likely to buy it.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my opinion of it has improved since the beta. Prior to the beta, I was most likely going to skip it, but I'll definitely pick it up now. The original Battlefront was such an awesome experience for me, so it really is nostalgia driving this. No in-game voice chat (apparently?) is kind of a bummer as I have such fond memories of chatting with randoms on my good ol' SOCOM ps2 mic (one late night session featuring a 16 year old me, another kid a couple years younger, and a dude in his 20's comes to mind. I remember hopping in an AT-AT and just blowing up everything in sight as we yammered on about Tauntauns and other random stuff), but I suppose I understand the decision. I just wish it wasn't $80 here in Canada.

IAmDroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went from on the fence about it to 100% not buying. What I played just wasn't fun.

seakae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I went from skeptical to YUS GIMME. It hit the right chord for me.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@christamofo: yesss I felt the exact same. damn shame this is a MP only title

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.