Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Oh God why am I in Gold!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ArchScabby

I just finished my last placement match for 1v1, and it put me in gold. GOLD!  I'm not good at this game, especially not gold good. I was hoping for silver at the most.  I think I just got lucky in those placement matches.  Are people in gold really good?  

Okay, my biggest problem might not be that I suck, but more that I'm inexperienced.  I'm still clicking most things instead of using the keyboard.  I'm trying to train myself to use the keyboard, but when things get frantic I go back to just clicking.  Anway, I just think that the people in gold will have more experience with strategies and everything and I'm going to get destroyed.  If I lose a bunch will a go down a level?  How many do I have to lose?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz

I played absolutely no multi-player in SC1, and I went in cold here, having done no research. I, too got placed in Gold, and had the same worries as you. 

Know this, though: I've gone 6-9 in my matches while in Gold-League (I'm currently somewhere around 60-70th in my division), which I'll grant you isn't all that impressive, but nor is it bad enough that I feel like I have no hope of winning. It's also meant that I've been learning (and quite quickly) what I've been doing wrong, and every match has been a learning experience for me. 

It's also worth noting that you won't only face opponents from Gold-League, you'll also face silver-league players even when playing matches in Gold-League. So don't worry about it, just get out there and start playing.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArchScabby
    @jukezypoo: Thanks, you're making me feel better.  Why would I face silver people though?  Seems weird to be in gold, and then face silver.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shirogane

Well, my and my friend are in bronze in 2v2, cause we were messing around not caring about our placement matches. Then during our messing around after placement, we got stuck against a gold and platinum. 

The league doesn't mean you'll definitely be playing against people in that league.
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By papercut

Looks like you'll need to get better fast or suffer a few losses. Gods speed. 

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By wchigo

Well if you think about it, there's 5 leagues (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond). Gold is the middle, so you could take it as being average. So... you're an average player? Congrats!

Realistically, with such a large influx of new players, and probably a fair share of people who have had no prior RTS experience, Gold probably isn't as competitive as its name might make you think. I mean, I placed Bronze after my placements in beta phase 1, Silver in beta phase 2, and then Gold in retail (disconnect in 5th game counted as a loss... @#$%). I think you'll be just fine in Gold, though if it turns out you're not and it really was just luck in your placements, the matchmaking will figure that out eventually and will bump you down as necessary.

cduce2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cduce2411

The matchmaking system learns from your games. If you don't belong in the ladder, then it will bump you down. If you stay in the ladder, you belong there.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

Unless you lost 5 matches and got placed in Gold, you are not as bad as you think. Like some other poster said, Gold is not 1st place, its like 3rd place, and in a bell curve that means you are average. 

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By fang273

The ladder is just meant to be pretty, pay attention to the rank of the people you're fighting, that's your real rank. Even when I was in gold, 7 out of 10 games were vs diamond players, with the other 3 being platinum.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ares42

The placement system can be abit jenky. Had sorta the same problem. Won my first 4 placements quite easy, as I got served bronze and low silver players. Then for my platinum I barely won an even fight (which was probably one of my best fights ever) against a low ranked platinum that had basically lost every match after placement and then I end up in platinum. Sure, I guess I perform on platinum level when I'm at my best, but if you ask me I'm more of a mid-gold player. The problem seems to be that the matchmaking is too heavily prioritized for speed, which makes the placement sorta hit and miss. Also really screws with matchups if you're in gold or platinum, as you'll end up mostly playing higher ranked players since they are generally more active.

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By doe3879

Gold is actually Silver in comparison to the beta's league.
    Blizzard removed or say rename the Bottom Tier COPPER (I guess it doesn't sound pleasing), to Bronze
    and the Highest Tier is no longer Platinum, but Diamond.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StaticFalconar: But that isn't really the case. There is not an even spread of players over the 5, so it rules out the possibility that Gold is anywhere near halfway.

Given this, Bronze/Silver is probably average.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Skytylz

Lucky, I started in silver and then when I started to do pretty good it dropped me to bronze.  I hardly want to play now  cuz people are so bad in bronze.

Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Warihay

I am in the same boat as the OP. Never placed SC1 before and went into this cold. Went 3-2 in my placements and it put me in Gold. I haven't played a match yet in Gold but I am figuring I am going to get destroyed. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @GetEveryone: Theres not supposed to be an even spread of players in a bell curve anyway. Plus the game takes other data like your APM and such into account so if people played trying to mimic the style and technique of Good SC2 players we see on youtube, the game probably thinks you are better then you really are. With like a 1+ million game being played everyday, only Blizzard knows what average play is since most stuff on youtube is supposed to be better than average play so the average player can learn from. 
    lawlerballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lawlerballer

just lose a bunch of matches and you'll go down to copper

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pinworm45

The system is really good for placing you. If you're higher than you should be, you'll drop fast. Furthermore, just because you're IN a league, doesn't mean you play people in that league. If you're put in Gold, and you lose against a gold player, it will then match you against a silver. If you lose that, it'll match you against a bronze player. Etc. It'll keep lowering until you're facing people you compare too. At worst, you'll suffer very few losses early on, then you'll be perfectly fine. 

So don't worry about it too much if you place higher than you feel you deserve.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wchigo
    @lawlerballer: 
    There is no more Copper league. They phased it out when they replaced Platinum with Diamond as the highest league.
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mighty

The rankings are kind of screwy for the first while. I got put in Platinum for a second :P 

They'll even out as time goes on.
    A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow

i played my placements just so i could play at bronze and not have to get some people who are good and still in the practice league

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BC_
    @StaticFalconar said:
    Plus the game takes other data like your APM and such into account so if people played trying to mimic the style and technique of Good SC2 players we see on youtube, the game probably thinks you are better then you really are.
    I was under the impression that the game does *not* take into account "other" data (like APM) when determining your ranking.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45
    @BC_ said:

" @StaticFalconar said:

Plus the game takes other data like your APM and such into account so if people played trying to mimic the style and technique of Good SC2 players we see on youtube, the game probably thinks you are better then you really are.
    I was under the impression that the game does *not* take into account "other" data (like APM) when determining your ranking. "
    It does take into account how well you do. APM is NOT factored into it, but similiar pieces of data are (Ie how well you do, how fast you are)
    BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BC_

Quoted from Blizzard's FAQ:   

Q. Does the system take into account stats gathered from within a match, e.g. actions per minute (APM), units destroyed, etc.?
    A. No, the system only cares about whether a match was won or lost, and the skill of the participants.

When they say "skill of the participants" I think they're just talking about ranking but I could be wrong, it is pretty vague.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pinworm45
    @BC_ said:
    " Quoted from Blizzard's FAQ:   

Q. Does the system take into account stats gathered from within a match, e.g. actions per minute (APM), units destroyed, etc.?
    A. No, the system only cares about whether a match was won or lost, and the skill of the participants.

When they say "skill of the participants" I think they're just talking about ranking but I could be wrong, it is pretty vague. "
    It definitely factors in how well you do. That's why not everyone places in the same league with the same W/L ratio in their placements. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.