Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Protoss Overpowered?

• 59 results
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By breadfan

I've heard many people complain that Protoss are the most overpowered race in StarCraft 2. Some reasons cited have been that Void Rays are "cheap", Immortals are "cheap", and Zealots are..."cheap". I actually got into a bit of a debate about this with a few friends of mine earlier today, hence this thread to get other opinions on the subject. I told them that everything has a counter, so there is no real way to be "cheap" in StarCraft.  

So I ask the Giant Bomb StarCraft community, are Protoss overpowered?

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SpartyOn

Naw, i don't think any race is overpowered.  I think there are strategies that exploit the strength of certain races, and THOSE can be cheap/overpowered....damn mass reaper builds...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By frankxiv

no

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By OroJackson

I have heard people say Protoss is overpowered, people (like Brad) say that Terran is overpowered, and of couse that the zerg rush is overpowered... so that is true then they are all balanced.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Rockanomics

Seems like the easiest to start with just because of warp gates, but I dunno, I've barely played any matches.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ToadRunner

no

besides, void rays are not cheap, 250 min and 100 gas is not cheap!

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By wchigo

There's always going to be something that people cry about being overpowered (to an extent, for me, that's EMP =p) but no, I wouldn't say Protoss is OP.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Br3adfan said:
    " I've heard many people complain that Protoss are the most overpowered race in StarCraft 2. Some reasons cited have been that Void Rays are "cheap", Immortals are "cheap", and Zealots are..."cheap". I actually got into a bit of a debate about this with a few friends of mine earlier today, hence this thread to get other opinions on the subject. I told them that everything has a counter, so there is no real way to be "cheap" in StarCraft.   So I ask the Giant Bomb StarCraft community, are Protoss overpowered? "
    Ok I can get how some people who don't know how to scout can be annoyed by "cheap" Void Rays, but how are Immortals and Zealots cheap?  Seriously, what was their side of the debate on this one?
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By BunkerBuster

Protoss aren't OP, the Zerg are nerfed to shit.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Zerg are OPed in Korea, so I guess different regions are having different play styles.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Babble said:
    " If you scout Void Rays are pretty simple to counter. If you get caught off guard, sure, they can do a lot of damage, but if you know they are going down that road, you can quickly counter, Void Rays don't have a lot of health, and if you use the right unit for your race, you'll find they do little damage. "
    This, I am surprised how many people I can get with void ray rushes. I have won at at least 10 games like this, but it is kind of a all in build, if you can stop it, you are pretty much free to counter it and crush. This is why i have switched to an aggressive four-gate build. If you are terran keep a bunch of marines near your mineral line, and if you are zerg, scout early get queens or spore colonies, or even better rush his ass. If he rushes to void rays, he probably won't have much of a defense. The key to void rays is to kill them before they get charged, and if you know they are coming you should be prepared to do that.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Donos
    @StarvingGamer: I can kinda see an argument for zealots being a little overpowered in the early game, because they're far and away more powerful (even cost for cost) than their competitor units. On the other hand, they are at the end of the day a melee unit and so can be defeated in many, many ways, so I wouldn't complain about it. Immortals are also rather one-note and easily countered, so I wouldn't worry about them.

As for Ghost EMP being overpowered... what about warping in templars and being able to instantly storm, which can actually kill units rather than just temporarily knock down shields? Or infestors which can fungal growth units, again dealing real damage and actually locking them in place making for easy kills in many cases.
    Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Hannibal
    @Donos: I think reapers are a direct counter to zealots. You can go into their base, pop a few probes, then just kite and frustrate the shit out of early 'toss 
    XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By XTraFries

No.

Void Rays are powerful, yes, but they are EASILY dealt with if you scout beforehand, just like any other build.

Just last night I got fuuuucked by a well-timed VR push because he saw I was expanding and starting to slow push with my tanks and marines. He popped into my base with 3 or 4 VRs and wiped all my barracks and factories.
    Did he win because his VRs were overpowered? No. Did he win because I didn't scout his starport and left my base without any anti air? Yes.

So instead of raging and crying imbalance, I went to the replay and saw what he did and what I did wrong, so I could prepare better next time.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Donos said:
    " @StarvingGamer: I can kinda see an argument for zealots being a little overpowered in the early game, because they're far and away more powerful (even cost for cost) than their competitor units. On the other hand, they are at the end of the day a melee unit, so I never find them that bad.
    Yeah, but early game Marines can just kite Zealots all day long and Zerglings can just run around and ignore them, killing their Pylons or letting the Queen tank for them.
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wchigo
    @Donos said:
    "As for Ghost EMP being overpowered... what about warping in templars and being able to instantly storm, which can actually kill units rather than just temporarily knock down shields? Or infestors which can fungal growth units, again dealing real damage and actually locking them in place making for easy kills in many cases. "
    That's why I said 'to an extent'. EMP is instant and has a slightly longer range than Storm, as well you have to research Storm and the energy upgrade in order to be able to storm after a warp in. Not to mention that when a storm goes down, you can micro your units out of it and take minimal damage, whereas after a EMP is released you really don't have a chance to move out of its area of effect, and it essentially cuts the "health" of all Protoss units in half.

Even Fungal Growth deals its damage over time, just like Storm, except that you again can't micro out of FG. Obviously it's not OP, otherwise Blizzard would've changed it already, but I do find it a bit too effective for its cost. My comment about it being OP was meant slightly facetious. But I still will say that I am having problems winning against even decent players that go for EMP, and am currently working on counter measures for it.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By bacongames

"Cheap" in my experience comes from what a player does, not the game itself.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

I think the only thing that needs to be fixed with Protoss...as well as Zerg...are Stalkers and Hydralisks units' production time and cost.  They are too cheap and spawn too quick.  It's a massive problem in team play, as there is very little "strategy" and it's all about "I'm only going to build one type of unit...but I'm going to build 100 of them to overwhelm whoever I'm playing against".  Granted, the other team can do it...but there's no strategy in that to me. 

Other than that, I play Zerg, so obviously I'll whine about how I hate Zerg not having great defensive capabilities, as we have to build two types of defensive structures to cover ground and air while Protoss only need one kind of turret to do so, and it's available super early for super cheap.  I'd also bitch about how there needs to be at least one more tech step for void rays.  The thing is...that would just be me bitching to bitch because Protoss can be difficult for me to beat with Zerg.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By XTraFries
    @jakob187:  Don't underestimate your Spine Crawlers in the early game. 2 or 3 well placed can definitely be the difference between a win and a loss. As for having to wait a little longer for the Spore Crawlers, the Queens are very potent AA units in themselves, so maybe getting an extra Queen or two to hang around your base could help. Also, that transfusion ability is pretty awesome for keeping your static defenses alive.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By sjschmidt93

I would say Terran are OP. The other two are fine. Terran's OPness (ha) leads to Zerg appearing underpowered, though.

Though fast VR + warping in zealots from low  ground pylon is super strong.

@jakob187

said:

as we have to build two types of defensive structures to cover ground and air while Protoss only need one kind of turret to do so, and it's available super early for super cheap. 

They're the most expensive defensive structure there is. And they require a forge. As a Protoss, I think I'd rather have 2 like Zerg, so I don't have to go out of my way to get a forge to fast expand or something. And trying to fend, say, mutalisk or banshee harass is also way cheaper, because we know cannons at the back of your mineral line are useless once the other player realizes they're there. Same goes for turrets and spore crawlers, but they are a lot cheaper.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    I think Protos might be stronger than the other races in the early game but overall it's still pretty balanced.
    Eva011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eva011

Atrocities i say!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

Losers think everything is cheese. That's why they keep losing. No if its in the game and it works and there's a strategy to deflect it, its not cheese. And everything can be deflected. You just suck.

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Juvarial
    @ryanwho: 2v2 is horrifically unbalanced. Early Reapers + Voidrays are Bullshit. 
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By tebbit
    @Juvarial said:
    " @ryanwho: 2v2 is horrifically unbalanced. Early Reapers + Voidrays are Bullshit.  "
    Although I wouldn't say horrifically overpowered, I would say that me and my brother have won more than a few games with this exact strategy 
    All it takes to counter is marauders / stalkers / hydras, but no one ever seems to bother.
    Sorrowsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sorrowsan

i think the game is really balanced, with everything having a counter (if scouted) zerg seem a little weak overall

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Juvarial
    @Tebbit said:
    " @Juvarial said:
    " @ryanwho: 2v2 is horrifically unbalanced. Early Reapers + Voidrays are Bullshit.  "
    Although I wouldn't say horrifically overpowered, I would say that me and my brother have won more than a few games with this exact strategy All it takes to counter is marauders / stalkers / hydras, but no one ever seems to bother. "
    Uhhhhh if there is a terran player ROCKING mass early reapers and crippling everyones ability to harvest gas-I mean specifically gas then I (The toss player) cant get stalkers out, then if the other teams toss player charges or phases the phase crystals it nukes all the little marines and thats that.  
    I simply cannot tech up to stalkers and they get a VERY cheesy GG. 
    If when you and your bro do it your probably looking to getting economy cuts. In my matches there only looking to get gas cut.  
    Then again i'm in 2v2 platinum which is cheese land so NBD-Something worse will happen. 
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By Jost1

I feel like I've had it too easy whenever I use the photon cannon rush.  Maybe it was against shitty players though.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wuddel
    @ryanwho said:
    " Losers think everything is cheese. That's why they keep losing. No if its in the game and it works and there's a strategy to deflect it, its not cheese. And everything can be deflected. You just suck. "
    Kinda harsh. But it is right. Scouting is the essence here. If you do not scout you can be easily overwhelmed by anything.
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Protoss I've faced seem to be ripped to shreds by Ghosts. I feel sort of overpowered as a Terran because I can just use one unit to counter an entire race.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FlipperDesert

I was just beaten by a Zealot rush three minutes into a game before I even had a small group of Zerglings... Yeah, they could use a little tweaking.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Semition
    @FlipperDesert said:
    " I was just beaten by a Zealot rush three minutes into a game before I even had a small group of Zerglings... Yeah, they could use a little tweaking. "
    Or you should consider getting pool faster or a spine crawler or 2.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gosukiller

This by no means ends the discussion, but I regulary visit www.replayers.com and most high-level games are won by Protoss. This is usually done by the High Templars' AoE combined with Void Stalkers (and a couple of Zealots).

Protoss is definitely not a weak or underpowered race. Calling them overpowered is debateable though.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By apoptosis61

terrans are shitloads better

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By meptron

building units with the protoss is cheap.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dipstick

Protoss isn't even close to OP  

Most wins with Protoss are due to excellent micro on the players part (storms and shields) 

Terran is the closet to to OP in all of SC2 at the moment. Zerg is worst,by far.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Majkiboy

tldr but definitely not. 

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FlipperDesert
    @Semition said:
    " @FlipperDesert said:
    " I was just beaten by a Zealot rush three minutes into a game before I even had a small group of Zerglings... Yeah, they could use a little tweaking. "
    Or you should consider getting pool faster or a spine crawler or 2. "
    I normally build my pool after my first overlord, so every drone counts while I'm building my economy and it's real early in the game.

Though they were better, I guess, it just frustrates me because the game didn't last enough to really be very fun.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Feanor

Terran are just to easy to play right now.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Jost1

I'm Cmdr Shepard and Protoss is my favourite race in the Koprulu sector

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Osaladin

The way I look at it is, Protoss have some of the most powerful units in the game, but can be easily countered. Terran are the most versatile race, they have a broad spectrum of units that will help them against pretty much any strategy. Zerg rely heavily on scouting, because, as has been stated before, they are a reactionary race.  

Honestly, I think it all comes down to how you like to play, I enjoy all the races and their play styles, that's why I play random.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sixghost
    @FlipperDesert said:
    Or you could take a few minutes to actually learn why you lost so easily, and then put up a better fight in the future when the same build gets used against you again.
    ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By ethan_raiden

Starcraft, and now Starcraft 2 are some of the most well balanced RTS games in the entire genre, it seems that a lot of new people are coming into Starcraft 2 now with a console mindset, where they feel they have the need to turn into game developers and demand nerfs and buffs, we've let Blizzard make these games for us, I feel we should give them a bit more trust when it comes to balancing.

KingAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By KingAwesome
    @Osaladin said:
    " The way I look at it is, Protoss have some of the most powerful units in the game, but can be easily countered. Terran are the most versatile race, they have a broad spectrum of units that will help them against pretty much any strategy. Zerg rely heavily on scouting, because, as has been stated before, they are a reactionary race.   Honestly, I think it all comes down to how you like to play, I enjoy all the races and their play styles, that's why I play random. "
    Yeah. The Protoss units are powerful but more expensive. It's usually harder to switch gears mid game with Protoss. You really need to scout well and commit to a plan or you can really gimp yourself. And yeah, it's not like anything the Protoss can throw out early game are un-counterable or anything crazy.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Driadon

By the time a protoss player gets enough zealots to break my base entrance, I have hellions out that can LIGHT THEM ON FIRE! so, no, don't think the 'toss are overpowered. The only possible unbalance that I've seen in the game is that Zerg don't have a whole lot for useful endgame units, though with Nydus worms, they can make up for that by tunneling into your base and killing any sort of economy you had.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sooty

IdrA (that king of the beta winner, guy, zerg player dude) nerdraged at a Terran player and it would seem he thinks Terran are definitely OP or something. 

The nerdrage is at the start of this video and at the end, lolzy. Commentator reads out the nerdrage quite funnily. :D

I have heard that Terran are a bit favoured at the moment, not sure how true it is but apparently many tournaments have had Terran winners.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By thatfrood
    @Ygg: Idra whines and complains a lot and is in general a tremendous dick. He recently lost to a completely unknown Terran player named Masq and just went into a flurry of rage. He played the Terran a second time and tried to cheese him with a baneling bust but, again, lost, and left without even a gg.
    So I don't really feel bad for Idra and I don't care about what he thinks about the Terrans. He's a tremendous asshole that needs to take a good long look in the mirror.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Driadon
    @ThatFrood: Idra played that match incredibly stupid anyway. He would have had a chance with some Hydralisks in play, but he just didn't do anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.