Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter IV Will Meditate And Then Destroy You

• 98 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Before we get into the game itself, Capcom held an event where Street Fighter aficionados collided on the PlayStation 3 version of the game. Our cameras were there and caught this:

Well, I guess we should actually take a break from playing Street Fighter IV to say some stuff about Street Fighter IV. We received a build of it last week that, unfortunately, doesn't contain any of the additional modes being placed into the home version of the game. So I don't really have much to add there other than the mode that will supposedly train players on how to play Street Fighter sounds like a great idea. Watching people play fighting games really well probably seems like arcane mysticism to people who didn't come of age during the golden age of fighting, and concessions like these are things that can help people get into the genre.

Out of 150 captured screenshots, this was the best.
    But the version of the game we got does have all the fighting, and some of the console-only characters. So in addition to playing way more Street Fighter IV, we've been able to get a feel for how Sakura, Gouken, and Seth will handle.

I've never been a big Sakura fan. I should probably get that out of the way up front. Other than the way her wind-up dragon punch hits multiple times with a bevy of satisfying smacks, I've never cared for her charge-up fireball or her not-quite-a-hurricane kick. She also has the jumping punch move from Alpha 3, the Sakura Otoshi. She feels roughly the same to me here as she did in the Alpha games, but I'm not enough of a Kasugano-phile to notice minor differences in the way she plays.

Gouken is one of those storyline characters from the Street Fighter universe that hasn't actually appeared in a game until now. He's the guy that trained Ken and Ryu, and he's also Akuma's brother. But that doesn't mean he's yet another clone-like character along those lines. He's actually quite different, and I'm really enjoying him a lot. He throws a one-armed fireball that can be charged, and using medium or fierce punch shoots that fireball up at an angle, knocking down airborne attackers. Instead of using a dragon punch as a special move, he has a palm strike that lunges forward. And instead of having a hurricane kick that carries him forward, his Tatsumaki Gorasen launches him up into the air, making it good against jumping attacks. He has a version of Akuma's jumping kick special, and his super and ultra are big, damaging shoryukens. His ultra is essentially the same as one of Ryu's super arts from Street Fighter III, right down to the way it pauses a bit to show you the force of all three hits when you land it up close.

No, wait, this one is better.
    Seth is the game's final boss in arcade mode. So far, he feels pretty powerful. He takes bits and pieces from the arsenals of the other fighters, so his limbs can stretch out a bit, Dhalsim-style. He has a dragon punch that will hit multiple times, he can throw one-armed sonic booms using a fireball motion, and he's even got a spinning piledriver. After messing around with him for awhile, I don't feel like any one attack seems overpowered, but taken together, he feels very potent.

Beyond that, this is roughly the same Street Fighter IV we've been telling you about for the last year or so, except now we're playing it with 360 and PS3 controllers. The graphics still look great and the consoles don't seem to lose anything in the translation from the Taito Type X2 hardware that powers it in arcades. In a word, I'm stoked. In two words? Totally stoked. Now I'm just left wondering if the online play will be as smooth as it was in Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

Here's an unsettling number of screenshots we took while we were in the act.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Before we get into the game itself, Capcom held an event where Street Fighter aficionados collided on the PlayStation 3 version of the game. Our cameras were there and caught this:

Well, I guess we should actually take a break from playing Street Fighter IV to say some stuff about Street Fighter IV. We received a build of it last week that, unfortunately, doesn't contain any of the additional modes being placed into the home version of the game. So I don't really have much to add there other than the mode that will supposedly train players on how to play Street Fighter sounds like a great idea. Watching people play fighting games really well probably seems like arcane mysticism to people who didn't come of age during the golden age of fighting, and concessions like these are things that can help people get into the genre.

But the version of the game we got does have all the fighting, and some of the console-only characters. So in addition to playing way more Street Fighter IV, we've been able to get a feel for how Sakura, Gouken, and Seth will handle.

I've never been a big Sakura fan. I should probably get that out of the way up front. Other than the way her wind-up dragon punch hits multiple times with a bevy of satisfying smacks, I've never cared for her charge-up fireball or her not-quite-a-hurricane kick. She also has the jumping punch move from Alpha 3, the Sakura Otoshi. She feels roughly the same to me here as she did in the Alpha games, but I'm not enough of a Kasugano-phile to notice minor differences in the way she plays.

Gouken is one of those storyline characters from the Street Fighter universe that hasn't actually appeared in a game until now. He's the guy that trained Ken and Ryu, and he's also Akuma's brother. But that doesn't mean he's yet another clone-like character along those lines. He's actually quite different, and I'm really enjoying him a lot. He throws a one-armed fireball that can be charged, and using medium or fierce punch shoots that fireball up at an angle, knocking down airborne attackers. Instead of using a dragon punch as a special move, he has a palm strike that lunges forward. And instead of having a hurricane kick that carries him forward, his Tatsumaki Gorasen launches him up into the air, making it good against jumping attacks. He has a version of Akuma's jumping kick special, and his super and ultra are big, damaging shoryukens. His ultra is essentially the same as one of Ryu's super arts from Street Fighter III, right down to the way it pauses a bit to show you the force of all three hits when you land it up close.

Seth is the game's final boss in arcade mode. So far, he feels pretty powerful. He takes bits and pieces from the arsenals of the other fighters, so his limbs can stretch out a bit, Dhalsim-style. He has a dragon punch that will hit multiple times, he can throw one-armed sonic booms using a fireball motion, and he's even got a spinning piledriver. After messing around with him for awhile, I don't feel like any one attack seems overpowered, but taken together, he feels very potent.

Beyond that, this is roughly the same Street Fighter IV we've been telling you about for the last year or so, except now we're playing it with 360 and PS3 controllers. The graphics still look great and the consoles don't seem to lose anything in the translation from the Taito Type X2 hardware that powers it in arcades. In a word, I'm stoked. In two words? Totally stoked. Now I'm just left wondering if the online play will be as smooth as it was in Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

Here's an unsettling number of screenshots we took while we were in the act.

dantron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By dantron
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene

Those familiar to the thing that happen on the forums will recognize someone...

edit: raaa got path of neo and online confused, found it weird that he had a normal voice.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Brad's manly beard matches his manly voice.  My God, I don't know what to do right now.  I'm flustered!!!

*EDIT*

ZOMG!!!1!!11!!1!1!!!  BEARD!@!!!!!11!!!  And random car esploshuns at endz of videoz!!!  Vinny r teh master of editingz!!!
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Luke

Yo! I was there!!  Met both Vinny and Brad's beard.

It was awesome!

Watching the vid now... wonder if I'm in it? :p

EDIT:
    Awww, I wasn't in it after all... even though I distinctly remember getting beamed in the eyes with Vinny's camera-light :p  None-the-less, great interviews and shots of SFIV!

I guess I'll just have to settle with just being in the Ultimate SSFIITHDR and SFIV Showdown Tournament Vids, last year... where I made it just 3 challengers away from the top on SFIV.  Andry (Magus1234 on Shoryuken.com) knocked me out kinda early in SSFIITHDR.

Anyway, I'm all ready with my pre-order of the CE and TE of the FightStick!  Cya all online!

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By yagami

I urge for this game so very very much. It is my most anticipated game of the year, no doubt about it. I am hoping that the GB crew will hold a Streamed unpack-and-play session on justintv like you guys did with GTA IV. If not... tough luck for me.

Brilliant write through, and.... there wasn't really a lack of screenshots here.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Gump

That video hasn't been embedded properly.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By PowerSerj

I've never been a big Street Fighter fan myself, but damnit I can't help it. I love you man.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Double0hFor

am i the only one who doesnt care about this game?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Brad

@Gump, fixed. I'm going to convince Jeff to start using FireFox, I swear.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Coltonio7

Wicked beard Brad, I must say.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Lies

Brad looks (and sounds) pretty drunk...

Also: great grammar Endogene ;)

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dtran1212

whats up with some dudes on here always commenting on Brad's beard??? its just a fuckin beard, its like you guys never see a beard on a man's face before or somethin....homos

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

LMAO - "Take a momemt... BEARD!"

Genius!

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo7676

OMG BEARD

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By keyhunter

Oh shii! You know they means business with the old ass Midnight Brown all up ins.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

I have zero interest in fighting games in general, let alone Street Fighter IV, but I still find it amazing how they brought the mechanics of the 2D games over to the 3rd dimension (or, at least, "2.5D"). They also made the graphics pretty, while still keeping with the general artistic style and feel of the older games.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JohnDudebro

I still can't help but be totally bummed that they didn't just call Gouken Sheng Long.

How AWESOME would that have been?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Milkman

Dude, Jared totally sent me a friend request like the day after Giant Bomb launched. I didn't even know who is was until now.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech

Damn, Brad's beard is glorious....

Huh!?! Oh, yeah. Street Fighter IV looks really awesome.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJOR64

w00t!  This game is going to own.

Avatar image for the_purgatory_station
    the_purgatory_station

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice column.  i'm not the biggest fighting game fan, though did like MK1&2, yet i found this piece captivating.  i liked that thundering bass in the background music.  ups the mood at these types of events.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#23  Edited By Spiritof

Brad looks like a young Kenny Rogers now.

If Kenny Rogers was into video games.

TheJadeAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheJadeAngel

I don't wanna play till i get me one of them fancy Madcatz Sticks .

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoelTGM

I've never played Street Fighter, and hearing more and more about it, it sounds way too hard to get into.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John1912

Brad actually looks his age with a beard....

Knibbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Knibbly

That's quite a beard...

Avatar image for professorzombie
    ProfessorZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ProfessorZombie

I miss the Bay Area... : (

Nobody in Sacramento likes game as much as me....

Oh yea.. cant wait for Street Fighter 4

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By insanejedi

Jeff's E Honda is brutal. I can back that up from personal experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

giantbeard.com

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By imayellowfellow

im glad capcom is starting to show playstation 3 versions of games when they demo games for news publications, glad that producers are starting to soften up to the system some more

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doubleshock

Don't be intimidated. Street Fighter is actually easy to get into. But if people want to be way into it too they can as well. Either way you can have fun with it, whether you know what all these terms are or not.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

Awesome beard Brad, I have one too right now, but mines thicker than yours :P

If any US members are struggling to get the Joysticks I can point them in the right direction. I know a place that is fully stocked with them.

Cannot wait.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpecTackle

Must have this now.

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wright

brad was pimpin that beard.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThomasP

It's ALIVE! That beard is alive.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Hot.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Linkyshinks

The saturation of colours in  the PS3 version seems different than the Windows versions  *looking at pics*

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HiroSeven

In anticipation of this game I'm going to get some of those madcatz gamepads!

... what? they're sold out?!  Phail...

Anticipating this game very much, it has been a while since I've said that for a game.

-hiro

tuesdaythe5th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tuesdaythe5th

JEFF! Can't let him talk smack on your Honda!

Also I think i have a problem with the game. Cammy's moves have been changed back to a similar inputs they were in other games, HD Remix fixed them. It's not to late Capcom!

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I saw Brad with a beard, I automatically imagined him in a log cabin and sitting infront of a fireplace.

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mister_Snig

Oh snap! The 4chan van!

Will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Will

Nice vid cant wait for the game to come out, hopefully I can muster some money for a TE stick

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By serbsta

Ive been waiting for this big boy for a while, bout time.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By coakroach
    TripMasterMunky said:
    "giantbeard.com"
    Best. Post. Ever.

This game has me craving a good fighting game, last one I played properly would have been Tekken 3 and I was too young to grasp any concept of combos and strategy
    ljgpliskin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By ljgpliskin92

Did I hear some Loadest Kids just now??

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By StaticFalconar

I actually want to see Jeff's Honda now to guage how good a player he is.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Death_Burnout

Brad's...Beard...Is...Majestic.

Ruukie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ruukie

Yes the beard is amazing I've been growing my own its the only way now lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.