Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

Did I do the right thing starting with TNO or should I have skipped straight to the sequel?

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Richardqx

Poll Did I do the right thing starting with TNO or should I have skipped straight to the sequel? (199 votes)

Yes! 8%
    No, man. He's dumb that he's only into the newest games 33%
    No, I don't see it as a bad move to pick up 1 + add-on instead of 2 48%
    No, you should buy more beers and he shouldn't mess with you like this 12%

I just ordered the Two Pack ( TNO + TOB ) and my brother told me I'm dumb I haven't bought 2 instead, because it's new.

I told him I don't want to jump to the story on it's halfway, like, I prefer to watch movies from their beginning...

He still thinks I'm dumb, lol

Anyway, how do 1 + add-on compare to the sequel?

• 
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

2 Isn't a good game so you made the right call yusssss

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SethMode

They're all good games with fun stories and you absolutely should at least play The New Order before Wolfenstein 2. The story picks up almost immediately thereafter and character moments are imperative in both games so not having the background of the first one while playing the second one would lessen the experience.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The only thing I could argue is that you really dont need to play The Old Blood at all.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Old Blood is meh. And a callback to the earlier games. 1 is the best one imo, but 2 does some truly great stuff both with the story and the genre so it's wise to atleast play 1 first.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, thanks for your replies, votes, cheering up!

(BTW I've bought more beers)

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wolfenstein 1 was great fun. I suggest lowering the difficulty to easy if you like killing Nazis but don't jive with the hectic gameplay.

Playing the Wolfensteins was a weird experience. Because I remember playing through most of 1 and having a great time. I didn't finish it because I got pulled into some other game, not due to Wolf's quality (which happens a lot). But I remember it was very fun.

Then, I don't know if it was a consequence of playing the new Doom (my favorite single-player shooter campaign ever), but W2 felt like such a slog. Heavily using stealth felt like you weren't doing the thing you really got the game for; at the same time, open combat was... not Doom. I think the solution would have been to take the Dan approach and kick it down to baby-easy difficulty and have fun mowing down nazis. Even though one of the reasons I liked Wolf 1 was because the Nazis felt like a legit threat. But now I don't know if that was just because the novelty of a modern Wolfenstein was cool, and I hadn't played Doom yet.

Also, yeah, starting in the middle of a story when I have easy access to the prequel(s) is blasphemy to me. At least in cases where I consider story to matter.

So, I guess "yeah! Wolfenstein 1!"

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think they are both incredible games and you're right in this case, start from the beginning, story is totally a big focus in Wolfenstein, so it's definitely better to start with 1. DLC isn't really needed tho. I can see only buying the newest installment in a series if there was a huge gap between their releases (like 10 or more years) but otherwise it's fine to start with the first game, especially when both are available on current systems.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 is a pretty awful game tbh. good story but the playing it part sucks ass.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bybeach

All sounds good to me. The Old Blood isn't necessary as already stated, but I sure enjoyed the game. More Wolfenstein, hell yes.

As for the side-notes on playing The 2 main Wolfenstein's, I got along better with both main games than many. I really enjoyed the dual wielding and quick bops between stealth and run. Some tactics woven into the fabric.

craigieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say you are most likely gonna wanna play both games anyway so might as well play them in order.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LeStephan

If you get wolfenstein 2 please play it run and gun, even on the harder difficulties the nazis can barely hit you if your running past them. If you could shoot while running youd be unstoppable. This seems to be something barely anyone notices for some reason. If you take that into consideration the combat is way better than in Wolf 1. The AI in Wolf 2 is the same as in Doom, except I feel the nazis miss even more shots when your on the move than the demons in doom and punish you even more for staying in one place too long.. Which makes sense considering your dealing with hitscan weapons in wolf2. I think its a really smart solution to making a game with hitscan weapons able to be played more wildly so to speak without becoming brainless.

For me, do or die was the right difficulty for both games, just punishing enough to force me to learn and not allow me to do it my way but still easy enough to be able to miss most my shots like the dumbass I am :). Im not saying everyone should pick the same difficulty just that, for me, actually turning up the difficulty often makes it easier for me to learn. Which sounds like it shouldn't work but experience has proven the opposite to me and I'm kinda curious if this'd work for others.

That said 1+ the dlc are awesome as well, youve made the right choice.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wolfenstein: The New Order is one of my favorite campaign shooters in years. Great stealth, great action, great story, style and characters. That steath...I love it. I felt in control and aware but also rewarded for playing it slow and careful.

The Old Blood...It didn’t grab me.

The New Collosus has all the silly bombast in the world and some good character moments, but the level design is kinda poor and some of those encounters are terrible. Also, the stealth feels way off.

Play The New Order and maybe leave it at that. It’s an excellent game taken as a single work.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would worry about being bored with the gameplay, if you jump from 1 to 2. Either way it’s your money to spend as you please, and your brother sounds like a big jerk.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go in order of their release. They're all good. I don't agree with those that say two sucks; it's one of the better shooters in recent memory. It has better story moments, and I like the environments more than the first as well in my opinion. Playing it on I Am Death Incarnate! was a lot of fun too. It is only saved though because it has a lax save system where you can save anywhere. If you couldn't save anywhere, I probably would have given up at some point. This makes the biggest downside to it just the optional, mostly unnecessary enigma code missions, which are mostly there for collectibles and upgrading. They can take up a lot of time to do all of them, and in playing I Am Death Incarnate! I noticed it wasn't at all necessary, but that also means that game won't be all that long.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alternatively, you should have gotten the 1+2 pack and not bothered with The Old Blood.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question here is what kind of beers?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Definitely play New Order first, but you should also really play New Colossus, especially if you can get it cheap. New Colossus definitely has some issues with damage feedback and level design, but it's one of the few games I've played where the batshit-insane story is more than worth the occasional gameplay slog. Put it on easy and go buckwild.

(Also assuming you're talking about the same brother who didn't like Kingdom Hearts and was bugging you about it, I'll reiterate my post in your last thread: spend less time listening to his opinions and spend more time playing the games you think look interesting).

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not your 1st thread that focused on your brother being mean to you. Maybe you two need to spend less time together.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah he's dumb. You're good to play them in order. Definitely get the second one after you finish those.

All fantastic games

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't understand how people can dislike the game play of 2 while also liking the game play of 1. Is it the level design or the increased difficulty? I thought both of them play wonderfully.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I honestly think 2 plays better than New Order. Not by much but it feels a bit tighter. The lack of hit detection is a bit of a bummer, but eh.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The people claiming Wolf 2 is a bad game are nuts, but you still did the right thing.

Play the first one, pick up the sequel later.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think in terms of pacing and level design New Order is better than New Colossus. The shooting felt marginally better in the sequel, but personally I thought in both games it wasn't all that great feeling. The guns look ridiculous but tend to take up a little too much screen realestate at times.

That said, yah of course you gotta play the first one. It's not like you're buying Wolf 3D or something, New Order is a fairly new game and the sequel is an immediate continuation of the first one so it's basically required reading if you care about story at all.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nutter

@haneybd87: Can’t argue with this.

1 is great. I’ve played through it at least 4 times, including after playing 2.

2 is bonkers and really entertaining in spite of its flaws

Old Blood...eh. It felt tired just two hours in.

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should buy Wolfenstein 3D next to really fuck with his head!

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 2 is a much better game to play and not nearly as dogshit as 1. Level layouts actually make some sense and clearly point you where to go, and even though it's still far from perfect, you can actually pick items up. But the story in both is great and you owe it to yourself to experience the first before the second, especially since it's pretty important to have some idea of what's going on and who these people are.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If the first one was a bad game, maybe skip it. But it's quite good so def worth playing before 2.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're both bad games with great stories, so there's really no point unless the ongoing story is what you're there for. A word of warning though, New Order is a bad game with a bad story until 1-2 hours in so give it a bit of time if you feel like you're bouncing off.

TrinketNPinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clearly point you where to go

Ahem, that was the whole point of the first game's level design - old-school stuff.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By atomicoldman

@trinketnpinker said:
    @atomicoldman said:

clearly point you where to go

Ahem, that was the whole point of the first game's level design - old-school stuff.

Well guess what, it sucks. Everything is so drab in that game that you just run around endlessly trying to figure out what you're supposed to jump on or crawl through and it's tedious and frustrating. The second does better by adopting a more modern approach to level progression.

Although both can't quite seem to get picking ammo up right since it's still like trying to thread a needle. You'd think "run over ammo" would be straight forward but it wants to detect it a fraction of the time in 2.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The New Order is a pretty flawed game IMO but the story is at the very least very interesting and fun. I played through it on Easy just to see the story prior to The New Colossus coming out and would recommend the same to anyone approaching that game since gameplay isn't the strong suit of either game if I'm being honest, but at least in Wolfenstein II they give you some really awesome guns to play with and the levels are, if not equally confusing in design, at least prettier to look at.

The New Order specifically has some of the worst boss encounters ever.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The New Order really clicked with me in 2014. I didn't like II at all. Never even finished it. So many other games I'd rather play. 2017 was a pretty stacked year, and that certainly didn't help.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GrayFox666

The New Order is a fine game with a fine story, The New Colossus is a terrible game with a better than average story.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By sweep  Moderator

We edited the thread title. Try not to make thread titles so cryptic please OP, our forum guidelines request that thread titles should let users know what the thread is about without them having to click through. This isn't buzzfeed.

Thanks. x

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They're both great games and need to be played so whatever order you do that in doesn't really matter as long as you play them.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

TNO and TNC both great games. TOB is a buzzkill. Your brother is 0 for 2.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rich666

Your question is phrased very bad so i voted for the wrong thing. But yes start with TNO. Even though i thought the new Wolfenstein series is one of the most poorly designed shooters in recent memory, the story and setting are worth playing through. Although its one of the only games i can remember that i had to force myself to finish just to see the narative through. Seems like the devs never played a shooter past the year 2000 and built the game based on that.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oodli

That poll kind of makes no sense to me, so I skipped that.

Edit: whoops I misread it, nvm

As someone who enjoyed the gameplay of these games, on that front it's worth going through all of them, but maybe some on easier difficulties so you can feel more like a badass.

On the story front I highly recommend playing through the first one first, as a lot of characters and events carry into the sequel. You can skip The Old Blood since it's more of a side story, but I had a good time with it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The New Colossus is a direct sequel and while it does give you a pretty good synopsis on what happened in TNO, I’d still recommend playing the first game, well, first.

I didn’t hate Colossus gameplay-wise, but it did feel lacking after having really enjoyed TNO. I hope The New Blood finds a good balance between the two, even when it’s just a DLC.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By wlleiotl

If you buy 1 and like it: you get to play the games in order

If you buy 1 and don't like it: you spent less money to find out you don't like it

If you buy 2 and like it: you're going to find it harder to go back to 1 and you're experiencing the story out of order

If you buy 2 and don't like it: you spent the most amount of money to find out you didnt like it

sorry but your brother is dumb, unless you only have room for one game and will never play another, and this is your choice, then get 2.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I enjoyed the bombast of TNC a lot, but can’t help but feel that TNO ended well enough that I might be happier with the series had it been a one-and-done effort.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.