Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Most Popular Achievements (10/17 - 10/23)

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

My name is Jeff Gerstmann and I am addicted to data. There's something about charts and graphs that excites me. And that's why I take a look at the traffic for our achievement stuff every week and share these details with you. That's also why I'm hoping that we'll have some automated charts and graphs to share in the weeks and months ahead.

This week, it's obvious that Borderlands has become quite popular, achievementally speaking. That, combined with the talk that it was selling out in some locations, makes me think that it's going to go on to sell well, which is something that some analysts thought impossible. I guess the real test is if it can maintain its popularity once Modern Warfare 2 is released. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. 3,390 of you have synched Xbox 360 Borderlands achievements to the site. For a game that's less than a week old, that's a big start. That puts it just ahead of Brutal Legend (3,336) and means it's already bigger than Gearbox's last 360 game, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (2,347).

So with that in mind, it shouldn't surprise you that Borderlands is leading the popularity list this week. But there's more to it than just raw numbers. The achievements in Borderlands are pretty well-designed, with a good mix of things you'll get over the course of normally playing the game and a few things that you'll have to go out of your way to earn. They're good stuff. I'm guessing they were something of a focus, as the company's president, Randy Pitchford, obviously cares about points to some extent. He's got over 81,000 of them, enough to slot him in at #13 on MyGamerCard's celebrity/industry leaderboard

Gunning down the Crimson Lance: popular since October 2009.

Top Ten Sets

1. Borderlands
    2. Brutal Legend
    3. Left 4 Dead 2
    4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    5. Halo 3: ODST
    6. Forza Motorsport 3
    7. WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2010
    8. Risen
    9. CSI: Deadly Intent
    10. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
    Now that Forza Motorsport 3 is actually out, the achievements are now publicly viewable. Expect Tekken 6 to become viewable sometime soon, since it's due out this week. OK, new stuff. We've got Assassin's Creed II achievements on the site now. Beyond that, nothing too mind-blowing here this week, unless you're a big fan of the Crash Time series.

Please tell me you're not a huge fan of the Crash Time series. 

No tricks up his sleeves... right?

New Sets

"Kiss on My Deity" is the dirtiest phrase I've ever heard, by the way. Running just behind it at a close second is, of course, "Fleet Command." The individual achievements this week are once again tainted by me posting about the "Ask Him Ref!" achievement on Twitter, but Borderlands is the clear victor here. Also, since we can now properly rename secret achievements, the secret "You're On A Boat" achievement is our #1 this week. 

Take a picture, trick. 
    Take a picture, trick. 

Top Ten Individual

1. Borderlands - You're On A Boat (Secret)
    2. Borderlands - My Brother Is An Italian Plumber
    3. WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2010 - Ask Him Ref!
    4. Brutal Legend - Beast Master
    5. Borderlands - And They'll Tell Two Friends
    6. Borderlands - 12 Days of Pandora
    7. Borderlands - Fully Loaded
    8. Batman: Arkham Asylum - World's Greatest Detective
    9. Garry's Mod - Secret Phrase
    10. Brutal Legend - Boar Bather
    Our upstairs gentlemen are working on some site redesign stuff that will manifest in new, cleaner designs for the achievement pages, among other things. It should be easier for you to keep track of alternate versions of a game once they're done. And we're still looking at building some method to manually add PlayStation 3 trophies to the system, since it'd be great to have stuff like Uncharted 2 in there, even if we can't track your progress.    
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

My name is Jeff Gerstmann and I am addicted to data. There's something about charts and graphs that excites me. And that's why I take a look at the traffic for our achievement stuff every week and share these details with you. That's also why I'm hoping that we'll have some automated charts and graphs to share in the weeks and months ahead.

This week, it's obvious that Borderlands has become quite popular, achievementally speaking. That, combined with the talk that it was selling out in some locations, makes me think that it's going to go on to sell well, which is something that some analysts thought impossible. I guess the real test is if it can maintain its popularity once Modern Warfare 2 is released. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. 3,390 of you have synched Xbox 360 Borderlands achievements to the site. For a game that's less than a week old, that's a big start. That puts it just ahead of Brutal Legend (3,336) and means it's already bigger than Gearbox's last 360 game, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (2,347).

So with that in mind, it shouldn't surprise you that Borderlands is leading the popularity list this week. But there's more to it than just raw numbers. The achievements in Borderlands are pretty well-designed, with a good mix of things you'll get over the course of normally playing the game and a few things that you'll have to go out of your way to earn. They're good stuff. I'm guessing they were something of a focus, as the company's president, Randy Pitchford, obviously cares about points to some extent. He's got over 81,000 of them, enough to slot him in at #13 on MyGamerCard's celebrity/industry leaderboard

Top Ten Sets

1. Borderlands
    2. Brutal Legend
    3. Left 4 Dead 2
    4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    5. Halo 3: ODST
    6. Forza Motorsport 3
    7. WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2010
    8. Risen
    9. CSI: Deadly Intent
    10. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
    Now that Forza Motorsport 3 is actually out, the achievements are now publicly viewable. Expect Tekken 6 to become viewable sometime soon, since it's due out this week. OK, new stuff. We've got Assassin's Creed II achievements on the site now. Beyond that, nothing too mind-blowing here this week, unless you're a big fan of the Crash Time series.

Please tell me you're not a huge fan of the Crash Time series. 

New Sets

"Kiss on My Deity" is the dirtiest phrase I've ever heard, by the way. Running just behind it at a close second is, of course, "Fleet Command." The individual achievements this week are once again tainted by me posting about the "Ask Him Ref!" achievement on Twitter, but Borderlands is the clear victor here. Also, since we can now properly rename secret achievements, the secret "You're On A Boat" achievement is our #1 this week. 

Take a picture, trick. 
    Take a picture, trick. 

Top Ten Individual

1. Borderlands - You're On A Boat (Secret)
    2. Borderlands - My Brother Is An Italian Plumber
    3. WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2010 - Ask Him Ref!
    4. Brutal Legend - Beast Master
    5. Borderlands - And They'll Tell Two Friends
    6. Borderlands - 12 Days of Pandora
    7. Borderlands - Fully Loaded
    8. Batman: Arkham Asylum - World's Greatest Detective
    9. Garry's Mod - Secret Phrase
    10. Brutal Legend - Boar Bather
    Our upstairs gentlemen are working on some site redesign stuff that will manifest in new, cleaner designs for the achievement pages, among other things. It should be easier for you to keep track of alternate versions of a game once they're done. And we're still looking at building some method to manually add PlayStation 3 trophies to the system, since it'd be great to have stuff like Uncharted 2 in there, even if we can't track your progress.    
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ht101

Nice to see that Borderlands is doing well.  I'm really enjoying the game even though I'm playing by myself.  Love how it's going and can't wait to play more of it.  Too bad I have to write some papers today.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nail1080
    " My name is Jeff Gerstmann and I am addicted to data. There's something about charts and graphs that excite me. And that's why I take a look at the traffic for our achievement stuff every week and share these details with you."

You're too nice! :D

This makes my Sunday!
    dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By dethfish

Come on Jeff, you can get to 5th on that celebrity/industry leaderboard can't you?

And it's crazy that you have so much influence that you can just mention an achievement on Twitter and have it skew these results.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By mattbodega

I just preloaded Borderlands on Steam. Hopefully, Borderlands is the big hit that Gearbox needs to keep doing what they're doing!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By ez123

Mygamercard has to update Ryan's account, unless he's still Associate Editor at Gamespot.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

w00t!

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ptc

Thanks Jeff.  Any stats on the most common, and most obscure, achievements that GB users have?
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili

Anyone know when trophies will be fixed again or has it become an imposibility or something?

Seanakin66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seanakin66

*stands up* Hi, Jeff. *sits down*

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nail1080
    @chililili said:
    " Anyone know when trophies will be fixed again or has it become an imposibility or something? "
    Well it's a Sony issue and since you know they care about their customers I'm sure they'll fix it in a few years. Anyway acheevs are a 360 thing so Sony should just give it up as it's such a blatant copy of the 360 system
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MKHavoc

Not one person on Giant Bomb has played CSI: Deadly Intent.  I thought that having easy achievements might have earned it at least a rental from some people.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Jeff said:  

"And we're still looking at building some method to manually add PlayStation 3 trophies to the system, since it'd be great to have stuff like Uncharted 2 in there, even if we can't track your progress "

Cool!
    rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By rargy

Kinda strange that Randy Pitchford only has 17 Borderlands achievements.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Death_Burnout

I really hope Randy Pitchford has the biggest grin on his face right now.

But i also totally wanna punch him in the arm because of the loot.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What's the word on getting together a posse who can rename all those secret achievements?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @nail1080 said:
    " @chililili said:
    " Anyone know when trophies will be fixed again or has it become an imposibility or something? "
    Anyway acheevs are a 360 thing so Sony should just give it up as it's such a blatant copy of the 360 system "
    Wow, just wow.
    deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deadly_polo

Wow, Jeff is really high on the board. Also, did you see Ryan at #15, impressive. 

And MW2 is going to completely beast the rest of the games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

I should be 1K'ing Borderlands this coming week.  Yes, that game is thoroughly addictive.  HOWEVER...despite just how much I love the game, I'm wondering how viable the game will be to play once you've hit level 50.  DLC will keep the game fresh for me, but without some form of continuing end-game to keep me drooling for loot and such, I just don't know how much I'll want to play it.  Also, I wish there was a goddamn hotkey on my controller for healing kits!!!

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gosukiller

I might not be a huge fan of Crash Time... But me and my friends are huge fans of the Crash Time quick look :D

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Odd that Forza isn't on there, but I'm sure when it's out in the US it'll appear.
    Borderlands is one I'd love to play right now, but I'm absolutely broke and I'm waiting for Dragon Age.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By goodwood
    @ez123: Ya I was about to ask that since I thought nachoboss was Ryan. Also the top spot belongs to a Canadian Jeff needs to get to it and change that.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

Wow. Jeff is #6 and Ryan is #15 on that list. I didn't know you guys had that many points.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gosukiller
    @ArbitraryWater: Didnt  the "I've played Avatar and pushed buttons for easy points" comments by Jeff give it away? :P
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

"Perfect Harmony (10 points) - Tint your clothes with those colors: Wetland Ebony and Wetland Ivory."

My new favourite achievement.  

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ToxicFruit

Ahh I want Borderlands so BAD

BagSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BagSquad

I would be playing Borderlands, but GAMEFLY YOU SHITHEADS

FunnerGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FunnerGod
    @JeffGerstmann said:

" There's something about charts and graphs that excite me.  "

You should really say "excites me." "Me" is the subject of the sentence.
    walls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By walls

I think Jeff has driven a large percentage of these Borderland numbers

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

They need to fix Ryan's info on that industry person list.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kajaah117
    I was staring at an Amazon page, just hovering my mouse over the buy button for Crash Time: Autobahn Pursuit. I'm going to buy it eventually. And Jeff, it's your fault.

@nail1080 said:
    " @chililili said:
    Well it's a Sony issue and since you know they care about their customers I'm sure they'll fix it in a few years. Anyway acheevs are a 360 thing so Sony should just give it up as it's such a blatant copy of the 360 system "
    Damn it. Giant Bomb is officially a real website, now that we have people like this.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By RHCPfan24

I like this list! I can't wait to pick up Borderlands and Forza 3....and Modern Warfare II....and Assassin's Creed II....and Left 4 Dead 2....there's a lot of twos here huh?

austintrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By austintrees

Any News On When The PS3 Trophies Will Be Working On The Site?    

BRG9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BRG9000

Selling out indeed... I got one of the last few copies of Borderlands for 360 from Best Buy today, and 3 other guys in line were all holding copies. Blew my mind.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By choffy21

Hey, according to the Celebrity Achievement List, Ryan Davis is still an Associate Editor at GameSpot.com

Haha

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By ahoodedfigure

There's those guys!  And they're on that boat!

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Reverseface

Jeff is a celebrity.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kohe321

Interesting list, and I'm looking forward to the site update.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Now that deserves to be a #1 achievement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.