Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision

Company »

Activision is the largest third-party publisher in the world. It became the first third-party developer for video game consoles, and is responsible for popular franchises such as Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk.

Will Activision go the way of EA?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

Do you see Activision going the way of EA, being the gaming juggernaut, making some bad decisions and then sliding down the ranks of giant gaming corporations?  

Their three big franchises are currently on the rocks at the moment with Tony Hawk stuck in fake skateboarding hell, Guitar Hero being over saturated to the point that they can't give free copies of the game away, and Call of Duty is going to be quickly bled to death with three titles in development at one time.  Do you see Call of Duty's selling no matter what they are, unlike Guitar Hero? Or will only one of the three truly thrive?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Activision have been way worse than EA for sometime now. Milking franchises. Putting half-arsed ports on every system known to man for anything remotely popular. Desperately trying to implement anything that will get them extra cash (remember that pay-as-you-play idea for MW2?).

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aetos

Their over saturation of the market may eventually destroy them. However, people will still buy Call of Duty games. If someone enjoys the series they will keep buying them.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Andorski

I don't understand the impending doom that people think CoD will face now that there is going to be more than one release per year.  Battlefield has seen 3 releases in the past year, and if anything, the strength of that franchise has gotten stronger.

Also... let's not forget that Activision has Blizzard.  The monthly payments from WoW alone will keep the publisher from dropping to where EA is now.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @MysteriousBob: EA did that back in the day as well. Remember when EA bought out the NFL license- people were PISSED. Remember all the crappy licensed games? Or how about the constant mediocre Medal of Honor games? Or The Sims being everywhere (which it still is, btw)? 

It took a ton of failures and disappointments in EA's line-up before they started to look at their business practices and shake things up. I'm sure Activision will end up the same way too.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Tactical_Kill: look at the games they're making. Treyarch making one, ok. But a CoD MMO and ACTION-ADVENTURE? 
    milking the franchise. This is different than Battlefield, which are just making more of the same.
    EA got better. Activision got worse.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust
    @Tactical_Kill said:
    "

Their over saturation of the market may eventually destroy them. However, people will still buy Call of Duty games. If someone enjoys the series they will keep buying them.

"
    Until they get over them eventually. 
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Jost1

Unless they can find something new to "milk" they'll run out of their current "cash cows" within three years.

That's wishful thinking on my part because fuck Activision and Bobby Kotick  :)

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Barrock
    @josty81 said:
    " Unless they can find something new to "milk" they'll run out of their current "cash cows" within three years.  That's wishful thinking on my part because fuck Activision and Bobby Kotick  :) "
    I'm in the same boat. Loathe that dude.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

So aren't they with Blizzard though?  I have no idea because I still see the companies names separate, but if they are together, then I don't see Activision dieing out anytime soon.  I hope they die down because they're pretty obnoxious right now.  I like EA a lot because they take risks sometimes and do good work.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jimbo

Not overnight, but I could see them slipping from the top spot over the next few years.  You can't just keep forcing out the talent that got you to the top and expect to stay there.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seedofpower

I think blizzard will keep them a float for a while. Were gonna have to wait and see if they throw out any major failures.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Ace829

Activision already passed EA as one of the most loathed publishers in video game history. So you're kinda asking the wrong question buddy.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " @MysteriousBob: EA did that back in the day as well. Remember when EA bought out the NFL license- people were PISSED. Remember all the crappy licensed games? Or how about the constant mediocre Medal of Honor games? Or The Sims being everywhere (which it still is, btw)?  It took a ton of failures and disappointments in EA's line-up before they started to look at their business practices and shake things up. I'm sure Activision will end up the same way too. "
    Of course I know they did that- its why I made the comparison. EA don't seem to be as crazy with their franchises as they once were although that may just be me not playing their games as much to notice what they do.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Barrock
    @Ace829 said:
    " Activision already passed EA as one of the most loathed publishers in video game history. So you're kinda asking the wrong question buddy. "
    I'm not talking about reputation. I'm talking about power and money.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By 234r2we232

Activision own WoW? I learned something new today. No wonder these guys don't care about over-saturation of their franchises, they have their MMO subscriptions to rest comfortably on.

And COD is fun, I've played my share, but as soon as you realise you have winning chance just by sitting in a corner with the most powerful assault rifle and the stopping power perk, it loses its entire appeal IMO.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By insouciant

What were EA's bad decisions?  Buying the Grand Theft Auto franchise for too much?  Wait, did that happen?
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ace829
    @Barrock said:
    " @Ace829 said:
    " Activision already passed EA as one of the most loathed publishers in video game history. So you're kinda asking the wrong question buddy. "
    I'm not talking about reputation. I'm talking about power and money. "
    Ah. Then Activision is gonna go down fast. Give it a few years after everyone is tired of Guitar Hero 8 and Call Of Duty: Future Warfare 3 and the whole shutting down existing IPs and exploiting cash cows will bite them in the ass. Of course I'm not an expert on economics so my opinion may be misinformed.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Whisperkill

They are currently way worse than EA ever was

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

they are kind of like EA with milking of thier games. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dalai

Probably, and then evil Ubisoft is expected to come around 2013 to make Activision look good.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By RobotHamster

What's activision? I think I permanently removed that out of my brain.

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By GleasonRyan

i will buy every single EA game before i buy one activision game. Thats how much i hate Activision

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

Activision is already what EA used to be. Now EA is somewhat respectable by comparison.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude

Heads will always roll, payrolls will always be cut, that's just business. Buy and sell, that's always the deal of the trade. I just hope games continue to be made.

Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Talesavo

I'd rather not give my hard-earned money to a company that wants to take all the fun out of making videogames.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Animasta
    @Dalai: This. I just wonder who'll come after Ubisoft to be the biggest dicks
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Skald

This topic is more apocryphal than it ought to be. It's all just business, after all.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dalai
    @Laketown said:
    " @Dalai: This. I just wonder who'll come after Ubisoft to be the biggest dicks "
    Majesco?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By animateria

Go the way of EA?

That's a laugh, they've surpassed EA for quite a while. 

Besides I think this topic has already been discussed before. I remember typing almost the same thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.