Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

If you like spies, give Alpha Protocol a shot if you skipped it!

• 55 results
    Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deadmeat

Most likely late to the boat on this one, but for all of those like me who saw reviews from Medicore(Jeff's is spot on for this game), to downright terrible, I figured I would pass. It was on gamefly used for $9.99 so I figured I'd ask for it for Xmas, what the hell. 

Honestly having a total blast with it. It's the first game where you really feel like a spy, just talking your way through missions, sneaking and given reason to not shoot up everything. Sorry but James bond games and Splinter Cell are pretty Spy-Lite. The gameplay is wanky, the Ai stinks, the graphics are a mess at times.... So why bother? Again Jeff is spot on, the roleplaying and dialogue, and overall story are a blast.  

So if you skipped out and like real deal spy stuff (As in you read fiction or enjoy movies of actual spy type dealings), then set the diffuculty to easy or normal, and just run throuh the missions to see the great story and choices you make. I actually set it to hard on recruit(You start with zero skills) and based my guy on sneaking and snapping of necks. It actually makes being stealhy matter on hard, since if you get caught I'm usually dead in a couple shots. Unlike other "stealth" games *cough* splinter cell, Assassians Creed (Which are way better games mind you) but your a total badass who really can't die. I guess I prefer feeling weak and helpless, plus the shooting is very falloutish. Have fun with the timed dialogue, it makes it a more gut reaction than "sit and think about it" kinda thing, so just roll with your choices.... sometimes they are rather suprising at the outcome.

Or if you played the game or read reviews and say it sucks, I think that's fair to say.... just don't overlook it for $10 if you like this genre that is non existent in gaming. Let's hope Bioware can one day make a globe trotting spy drama I'd like to see what they could do!
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

Alpha protocol was amazing. i finished it and immediately played through it again. I can't believe the bashing it got.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Choi

Agreed, I really enjoyed the game and the story. 
    Also, if you missed it and are up to some spying, try In Cold Blood. I played it a month ago, the game holds up reaaaally good (controls are kinda weird but you get used to them) 
    Best spy bluffing, I guarantee it. Interesting setting and story too. 

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By me3639

One of the games i was totally wanting to be good, but due to the backlash i figured i would wait until patches/ mods fixed the game to where it is playable, i.e same thing i did when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was first released. What system did you play it on, and have their been mods/ patches to make the game playable?

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gargantuan

I really liked it but the bugs killed it for me. Every enemy on the map disappears when I load a save. I googled it and it's apparently pretty common and I found no fix that worked so I gave up.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Andheez
    @drag: 
    It was on steam for under $10 though I'm not sure if its is still that cheap.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Lukeweizer

Got it for 16 bucks but haven't played it yet.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By droop

Really enjoyed it too. Think I played through it 4 times.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Vorbis

I just picked it up for £10, always seen a handful of people claiming there's a great game in there behind the imbalanced combat. Been told to play on easy with stealth/pistols for the first playthrough, will give it a chance.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Its on my super cheap list!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alpha Protocol is perfectly acceptable at $10, if you are willing to accept that finishing it means spending around 15 hours of your life doing some of the most half-assed combat and/or stealth that I have encountered in a while in exchange for some story and character bits of varying quality. That game does exactly one thing well, and that's making your choices seem like they have impact. It doesn't do an especially good job of making you care about any of the characters (indeed, Mike Thorton always comes off as a bit of a jerk regardless of how you roleplay him), or telling a story that isn't every single other modern espionage thriller ever.  It's a lot of good ideas that are packaged together in a game that manages to constantly squander them.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck

I bought it and I loved it! Loved it!

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @Vorbis said:
    " I just picked it up for £10, always seen a handful of people claiming there's a great game in there behind the imbalanced combat. Been told to play on easy with stealth/pistols for the first playthrough, will give it a chance. "
    the combats not really imbalanced you just cant play the game like call of duty 
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By FritzDude

For someone who got it; Is the majority of bugs and glitches fixed by now? It seems like a decent game, but seems flawed because of the problems. Obsidian got a record for that.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MudMan

I played some of that and... no, it's not up to par. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, they did a lot right, the concept is brilliant and anything that is not action gameplay actually kind of works, but the game comes apart in the combat (too much dice rolling going on very openly) and they seem to bend over backwards way too much to try to reconduce everything to a shootout when they had the great chance to finally make a spy game that had very little shooting on it (which spy movies normally avoid, too). 

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Got it for $7.50, it doesn't run too great on my computer so I want to get it cheap for a console. It's definitely fun though, like Mass Effect mixed with Splinter Cell and James Bond.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If you like buggy games with tons of unfulfilled potential then you'll love Alpha Protocol.  

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust
    @drag said:

" yeah it's definitely on my list of games to keep an eye out for if i see it super-cheap anywhere ... just plan to dump everything in stealth so i can just focus on the talking bits. i think i'll enjoy it.    "

DON'T DO THAT. Or when you face a boss battle you're in for a rude awakening.  

I loved the game. Playthrough three times, and I'm almost set for another run. :p
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By donchipotle

I got the PS3 version for Christmas and finished a playthrough today. I went pure stealth and pistols with sabotage and there were some legitimate moments of tension. I really enjoyed the game. The only bug I had was one instance of a hard lock up. Fun game. Gonna play through multiple times just because.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Animasta
    @Raymayne said:

do you just use foul language with everyone, or...

also YES, I agree with the OP, it's in my top 10 GOTY, its really quite amazing, all those people who says the combat sucks are trying to play it like a regular third person shooter, which it is not, because this is an RPG BABY.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By meteora

I probably should have got Alpha Protocol when it was on Steam sale. I was looking for a good RPG to play.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Undeadpool
    @jadeskye said:
    " Alpha protocol was amazing. i finished it and immediately played through it again. I can't believe the bashing it got. "
    I can believe it. I've beaten the game three times and I still understand why it got the reviews it did. It's practically a throwback in addition to being incredible glitchy and unintuitive, despite the writing and the plot being downright amazing. I'm just shocked that the RPG "purists" (those that call ME2 "dumbed down" rather than "streamlined") on this site haven't all rushed out to buy this game. It definitely seems to fit with a much more old-school feel.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " Alpha protocol was amazing. i finished it and immediately played through it again. I can't believe the bashing it got. "
    I can believe it. I've beaten the game three times and I still understand why it got the reviews it did. It's practically a throwback in addition to being incredible glitchy and unintuitive, despite the writing and the plot being downright amazing. I'm just shocked that the RPG "purists" (those that call ME2 "dumbed down" rather than "streamlined") on this site haven't all rushed out to buy this game. It definitely seems to fit with a much more old-school feel. "
    I agree but under that logic people should have hated Dragon Age: Origins for being the same old-school throwback in modern form no? 

I feel like the only reason it got hate is because it's not call of duty.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By Chris2KLee

Got it for $6 on Direct2Drive a few weeks ago. Definitely digging the dialogue trees, but if you do find this game, I recommend setting it to easy to mitigate the problematic game mechanics. Jeff's review got it right I think. Still, it's a bargain bin consideration if you have the time and money.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " Got it for $6 on Direct2Drive a few weeks ago. Definitely digging the dialogue trees, but if you do find this game, I recommend setting it to easy to mitigate the problematic game mechanics. Jeff's review got it right I think. Still, it's a bargain bin consideration if you have the time and money. "
    set it to easy for the recruit playthrough and then set it to normal for the veteran playthrough. Veteran makes the worst part of the game (Saudi Arabia) a cakewalk.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeust
    @drag said:

" @Jeust said:

" @drag said:

" yeah it's definitely on my list of games to keep an eye out for if i see it super-cheap anywhere ... just plan to dump everything in stealth so i can just focus on the talking bits. i think i'll enjoy it.    "

I loved the game. Playthrough three times, and I'm almost set for another run. :p
    "
    Oh shit, I didn't think of that!  Stupid bosses that need shooting.  "
    There is one specially tough accompanied with funky music. Be careful. 
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ClaritySam
    @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:

"
    There is one specially though accompanied with funky music. Be careful.  "
    Jesus I still have nightmares about that Russian fuck......
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeust
    @ClaritySam said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:

"
    Jesus I still have nightmares about that Russian fuck...... "
    Yeah. He was tough!
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I mostly played stealth. The boss battles, namely the Russian one was a huge pain in the ass. Having said that, I had a lot of fun and played through it twice. Once as a recruit and second as a veteran on hard. 

By the way, shotguns and SMGs suck!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Raymayne said:

I'd say Splinter Cell is very spy like. It's more stealthy than Metal Gear...
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Undeadpool
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    I can believe it. I've beaten the game three times and I still understand why it got the reviews it did. It's practically a throwback in addition to being incredible glitchy and unintuitive, despite the writing and the plot being downright amazing. I'm just shocked that the RPG "purists" (those that call ME2 "dumbed down" rather than "streamlined") on this site haven't all rushed out to buy this game. It definitely seems to fit with a much more old-school feel. "
    I agree but under that logic people should have hated Dragon Age: Origins for being the same old-school throwback in modern form no?  I feel like the only reason it got hate is because it's not call of duty. "
    The big differences are that Dragon Age wasn't anywhere near as glitchy, and the controls still made some kind of sense. You clicked on someone, you attacked that person, you connected with that attack, generally. Alpha Protocol has all manner of insanity involved with getting a guaranteed hit, most of which makes NO sense when you're fighting a boss.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta
    @Jeust said:
    " @ClaritySam said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:

"
    Yeah. He was tough! "
    if  you do taipei before moscow, your buddy from taipei can send him bad cocaine and you can easily win.
    JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JB16

I fucking love Alpha Protocol 2. The story is simply amazing, and the amount of things that change because of your choices are mindblowing. It's a damn shame it caught so much flak because it was RPG first and shooter second.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JB16
    @Raymayne said:

Splinter Cell's story is practically non-existant when you compare it to Alpha Protocol. And Metal Gear Solid's story is linear, it doesn't dynamically change like Alpha Protocol. And your unneeded profanity makes you look like an idiot.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ClaritySam
    @Laketown:   That's brilliant!  Just one more reason why everyone should at least try this game lol
    Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deadmeat
    @FritzDude said:

"For someone who got it; Is the majority of bugs and glitches fixed by now? It seems like a decent game, but seems flawed because of the problems. Obsidian got a record for that. "

Nope It's got bugs for sure. I played it on 360 so maybe there are PC patches or Mod's. The only bugs I've had are with Ai just being stupdi or getting stuck. Nothing that would break my game.
    Deadmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Deadmeat
    @Raymayne said:

Wow thanks for the critical well thought out mature opinion on the matter. Just so you know I LOVE splinter cell and Metal Gear Solid, maybe even more so than Alpha Protocol. BUT you get no choice in those games, and it's mostly just combat (especially the new splinter cell). I felt like an action spy movie star in those games, WHICH are great so don't call me a douchebag you jerk! I never once felt like a real spy, who had to talk to people, who had get intel on people, who had to sneak to stay alive. IT'S MY OPINION, deal with it. No reason to call someone names. Those are both amazing series, better than this game at some points... but this is the first game where I felt like a spy like the ones I read in novels or in movies.  

I'm glad to see other's felt the same way as me. I thought my post would get me raked over hot coals! If you wanted Mass Effect quality in a modern spy setting for $60 and waited a year for the game you might have gotten burned. If you skipped it over and bought it on a whim for $15 and enjoy spy thrillers you will LOVE parts of this game. Again give it a try it's different than the glut of FPS games, with the great choices and story.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeust
    @Laketown said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @ClaritySam said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @drag said:

"
    Yeah. He was tough! "
    if  you do taipei before moscow, your buddy from taipei can send him bad cocaine and you can easily win. "
    I didn't know about that. Interesting. ahahah
    SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SamSharp505
    @Deadmeat said:
    " Most likely late to the boat on this one, but for all of those like me who saw reviews from Medicore(Jeff's is spot on for this game), to downright terrible, I figured I would pass. It was on gamefly used for $9.99 so I figured I'd ask for it for Xmas, what the hell.  Honestly having a total blast with it. It's the first game where you really feel like a spy, just talking your way through missions, sneaking and given reason to not shoot up everything. Sorry but James bond games and Splinter Cell are pretty Spy-Lite. The gameplay is wanky, the Ai stinks, the graphics are a mess at times.... So why bother? Again Jeff is spot on, the roleplaying and dialogue, and overall story are a blast.   So if you skipped out and like real deal spy stuff (As in you read fiction or enjoy movies of actual spy type dealings), then set the diffuculty to easy or normal, and just run throuh the missions to see the great story and choices you make. I actually set it to hard on recruit(You start with zero skills) and based my guy on sneaking and snapping of necks. It actually makes being stealhy matter on hard, since if you get caught I'm usually dead in a couple shots. Unlike other "stealth" games *cough* splinter cell, Assassians Creed (Which are way better games mind you) but your a total badass who really can't die. I guess I prefer feeling weak and helpless, plus the shooting is very falloutish. Have fun with the timed dialogue, it makes it a more gut reaction than "sit and think about it" kinda thing, so just roll with your choices.... sometimes they are rather suprising at the outcome. Or if you played the game or read reviews and say it sucks, I think that's fair to say.... just don't overlook it for $10 if you like this genre that is non existent in gaming. Let's hope Bioware can one day make a globe trotting spy drama I'd like to see what they could do! "
    I thought using wank as an adjective was good enough...but wanky...you sir, are a genius. 
    I did the exact same as you (stay away cause of scores) you have persuaded me to buy it soon. :) Thanks. 
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By l4wd0g

I thought this should have been in running for story of the year. The story is good, the dialog is good, and the moments are great, but the game play itself is kind of crap. They set it up to play as a 3rd person shooter, but it doesn't shoot like a 3rd person shooter. Anyway, totally worth a rental, or a cheap buy. Obsidian knows RPGS.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Alpha Protocol really is pretty good. I've gotta pick it up again.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#44  Edited By citizenkane

I gave Alpha Protocol a shot, but it just felt too odd and janky for me.  I like the idea they wanted to portray, but it could have been executed a lot better.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By Chris2KLee

Bought it on Direct2Drive for $6 about a month back. Just finished it now. Everything Jeff said is correct. If I had to do a quick review of it, I'd say it was like reaching into a bag of dog crap to fish out a diamond. And there's some jagged shards of glass in the bag also.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DougQuaid

"'It says 'Mike and Seanfuck yeah!!!' with three exclamation points." 

I'm really glad I got this game during the Steam sale.  Interesting story and mechanics with some pretty great characters, but the combat is.. so-so. 

Dumping points into stealth and pistols (chain shot) makes everything fairly easy.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cgoodno

I would love to see someone buy up the IP and fix all of the mismanaged portions of the game.  It really has some potential and just needs some gameplay balancing and removal of some of the stuff that just doesn't make much sense.  It takes a while to get into the game and you are pretty limited in 'effective' skills early on, but once you get into it, it does flow pretty well.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Animasta
    @cgoodno said:
    " I would love to see someone buy up the IP and fix all of the mismanaged portions of the game.  It really has some potential and just needs some gameplay balancing and removal of some of the stuff that just doesn't make much sense.  It takes a while to get into the game and you are pretty limited in 'effective' skills early on, but once you get into it, it does flow pretty well. "
    Obsidian does own the IP, sega just won't publish it; They wouldn't want to make an AP2 anyway, Avellone said they would do a spiritual sequel.
    cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cgoodno
    @Laketown said:
    " @cgoodno said:
    " I would love to see someone buy up the IP and fix all of the mismanaged portions of the game.  It really has some potential and just needs some gameplay balancing and removal of some of the stuff that just doesn't make much sense.  It takes a while to get into the game and you are pretty limited in 'effective' skills early on, but once you get into it, it does flow pretty well. "
    Obsidian does own the IP, sega just won't publish it; They wouldn't want to make an AP2 anyway, Avellone said they would do a spiritual sequel. "
    That's my point, though.  Obsidian made the first and the people in charge of direction and design really made some major mistakes and mismanaged the heck out of it.  I'd rather they sell it to someone else and let them fix the issues from the first in a true sequel.  if they made a 'spiritual successor', it would likely be lead by the same producers who f'd up the first one.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The gameplay/looks are totally lacking, but the story is great and it tries hard to do some genuinely new things. It even succeeds at some of it. 

The general consensus from these parts is that everyone enjoyed it, saw the potential and felt slightly sorry for the squandered opportunity in regard to the rest of the game. 

It was on my Top 10 of the Year list. 

Edit: Just like to say that I loved the game. Didn't come across that way from my comment, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.